[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is just a weird thought I had today but why are shotguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1489722192895.jpg (56KB, 803x737px) Image search: [Google]
1489722192895.jpg
56KB, 803x737px
This is just a weird thought I had today but why are shotguns the only weapons that use pump action? Why are/were there no pump action rifles? What about the other side, are there any bolt action shotguns? And if either type of weapon does exist are they impractical or just not popular? I know about lever action rifles and shotguns, this is specifically pump action. Again this was just a weird thought I had at work today.
>>
>>33381392
dumb frogposter
>>
There's a Remington 7600 pump action .30-06, and bolt action shotguns exist as well (Browning, Savage, etc.). They're just kind of niche.
>>
Pump action rifles exist, I have one. It's a Henry .22lr rifle. Bolt action shotguns also exist, Mossberg has a pretty popular one for hunting and they have been rather popular for decades.
>>
>>33381392

Plenty of pump action rifles, kiddo...

Some pretty badass ones, matter of fact... going way back.

Colt made a pump action rifle in 50-95 Express a long time ago... it's not exactly hard to do.
>>
>>33381432
So then my question is why aren't they popular? They would seem (to me) to be a pretty handy weapon for back in the day. Why didn't they take off?
>>
>>33381465

They did. Granted, they are not as popular as semi autos, etc, but they are out there.

One problem is linear tube mags + pointy rifle bullets = chainfire = fingers missing/dead.

They got around the problem by designing big, flat nosed proprietary cartridges, but they were still outclassed by pointy rifle bullets/cartridges.

In the modern era, they got around the problem by stacking rounds vertically, but that limited the number of rounds you could load.

They have their following... A trip over to Cimmaron and you'll find decent quality copies of the Colt Lightning, etc... they wouldn't make em if they couldn't sell them..

Most Americans are familiar with the pump action .22's made by Colt, Remington, WInchester... especially in rural areas...

You're not tripping over them like the AR Frankenrifles today, but they are out there...
>>
>>33381576
But anon, there's such thing as magazine fed pump action rifles
>>
>>33381601

????

Oh! You mean the so-called "high cap" detachable box magazines...

Yeah, I figured someone might get around to doing that...

While you were posting, I was over here: http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=pump+action+rifle

And found this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628268400

Figured someone would do it, sooner or later... guess they finally got around to it.
>>
File: P1030979.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
P1030979.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>33381392
>Why are/were there no pump action rifles?
here's a pump action 30-06 I have
>>
As others have said ,there are pump action rifles.

The reason they are not more popular is (in my non-expert opinion) is if someone wants some sort of manual-action in a rifle they are either going to go for

1) Bolt-action for accuracy purposes
2) Lever action - A lot of people find them very fun and they also make like the historical western/cowboy connections.

Personally, I love lever actions, but I don't get excited doing the pump action on my shotgun.
>>
>>33381392
They exist, but these days, it's easy to make a self-loading rifle in a lot of popular calibers and that's generally just better than a pump.
Remington makes some pump-action rifles, notably the 7615 that is in 5.56mm and takes AR mags (has some popularity in Australia).

But for manual repeaters, people go for bolt-actions, straightpull ones if they want speed.
For big Magnum pistol cartridges and large bore hunting rounds like .45-70, the lever action still has it's niche, though I'll say it's a bit odd that there aren't more pump-actiom .357s and .44s

Shotguns are often pumps still because that's easy to make, and self-loaders are a little tricky (partially because shotgun loads vary quite a lot and, and for box mags it's because the cartridge is big, rimmed, and completely flatnosed).
Bolt-action shotguns exist, and you can find old Sears & Roebuck branded ones for pretty damn cheap still. Generally most shotguns wouldn't really see a lot of benefit from that kind of lockup, but there's exceptions, the Savage 212 and 220 are a pair of bolt-action shotguns (12g and 20g respectively), they feature rifled bores and the idea is that you're meant to use specialized slugs to essentially have a very large bore rifle. They're also legally shotguns, which makes them legal to hunt with in places like Delaware, where rifles aren't allowed for hunting.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.