[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/ tell me about the ruger mini 14. I've wanted one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

File: 5816.jpg (37KB, 825x160px) Image search: [Google]
5816.jpg
37KB, 825x160px
So /k/ tell me about the ruger mini 14. I've wanted one for a while now. Tell your opinions pros and cons.

I for one love the way it looks with a wooden stock, chambered in .223, and high cap mags are available. But is it worth the $700 price tag?
>>
>>33370961
I think it's a pretty cool rifle, but kinda expensive. Also doesn't help that factory 20/30-round magazines are like $50 a piece.
>>
I don't think it is unless you're in a cuck state that requires abomination ar15's.

An Anderson ar15 is 400. But for 700, you could build a rad ar15 with lights, scopes, and shit and have ammo to boot.
>>
>>33370961
It's a good rifle, I've owned 2. They get trounced because Ar's are so cheap to build and buy these days, and can offer more accuracy potential. Another problem is magazines. The Mini needs Ruger factory mags, and they're fairly expensive. Aside from that, they're well built, reliable and lightweight. I'd look for a newish production gun. They have heavier, more accurate barrels. If you look around, you can probably find a used one for hundreds less than the current retail prices.
>>
Good rifle, but the problem is you can get an AR that will outshoot it for a good deal cheaper. It's hard to justify
>>
>>33370961
They work.

If you particularly "want" one like for collectible or novelty purposes sure. It's perfectly fine to buy things you never plan on firing and/or that are shitty in general because you just want to have one.

The mini 14 is perfectly functional. If you want to own one because you like it. Go for it. You can also take it to the range and have fun with it there.

IF however; you're looking for any particular "niche" usage; the mini 14 is not going to be particularly high on any list (e.g. hog guns, shtf/hd rifles, varmint guns). But like I said; it's still a perfectly functional gun, and if you want one; get one.

I wouldn't say it's "the 1911" of intermediate cartridge rifles, but it's 'like' a 1911; hell I carry a 1911, I do not have any illusions about the fact that it's old, and I just like it, and there are plenty of advanced recoil reduction polymer doublestack wondernines with thumbprint handgrips and whatever the fuck; but mine still works.
>>
>>33371021
>>33371027
>>33371053
I just do t like the black tacticool pistol grip or even the all around look of an ar.

I grew up with hunting rifles I'm used to the wooden stock and lack of a pistol grip. So taking the ar style out od the equation would this be a good alternative?
>>
>>33371021
I'd rather burn money on the mini14 than a trash "fully equipped" garbage-tier AR15 for $700.
>>
>>33371102
Maybe an su-16? I've seen them in shops aren't my area for 475 new. I have an ar, a mini 14 and a .223 saiga (un converted) and if my ar were out of the question if shoot the saiga over the mini.
>>
It's a good rifle, but expensive for what it is. It's also inferior to the AR-15 in every single way.
>>
>>33371102
Maybe get an AR with wood furniture?
>>
>>33370961

I love Mini-14's, but a big part of that was growing up during the AWB.

Honestly, they are good rifles, and I enjoy their old school qualities.

With a 30mm Ruger front ring, it's easy to mount an Aimpoint or Vortex.

However, even though it's fun, and could get you through a SHTF fantasy, Ruger AR's are on sale for $500 right now at CDNN.

So, I would recommend a Mini-14, but it's not the best 223 launcher on the market, and certainly isn't the best value.
>>
>>33370961
just get a mossberg 590. half price, same groupings with buckshot, lower capacity but much better knockdown power
>>
Op here. I haven't seen any compelling argument against the ruger mini other than "get an ar" I simply do not want an ar. I guess I'll be shelling out the $700 for it ( And even more shekels for rugers mags )
>>
>>33370961
Looks great, but the parts and cost make other guns that are allowed in cucked states makes it a shit. Also can't accept AR/STANAG mags without mods I think.

Stuff like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdBuS_o5pI
>>
>>33371563
Looked at one in a store a couple of weeks ago in Leaf land. Nearly feel over when i saw the price tag, $1200.00
>>
>I haven't seen any compelling argument against the ruger mini other than "get an ar" I simply do not want an ar.

There really isn't one, though the mags are Jewishly overpriced. Go ahead and get it senpai.
>>
>>33371252
>>
>>33370961
No, you can build a non scary looking AR for 500. I don't fucks with River since the last owner was a huge fudd
>>
Mfw all these fags complain mags are expensive when you can buy 30 round mags for 16 bucks

midwayusa.com/product/1116127495/tapco-magazine-mini-14-223-remington-30-round-polymer

Hell you can get a pack of 3 for 22 bucks
www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-pk-of-thermold-30-rd-mini-14-mags?a=1174807

Hell you can find metal ProMags for $17
>>
>>33371866
Thanks senpai. I'll be saving these links for when I get it
>>
>>33371880
Check cheaperthandirt.com too they have all kinds of mags for the mini 14
>>
>>33371866
>Thermelt

I mean the tapcos should be cool.
>>
>>33371920
I use the tapcos never had a problem with them
>>
>>33370961

For all practical reason (other than living in a ban state) and AK or AR is the better option.

HOWEVER

If you just want a mini-14 for the aesthetic and nostalgia, nothing else will scratch that itch.

It's a capable and practical rifle for its intended use: as a ranch rifle.
>>
>>33370961
Let's ask this. What is more practical?

An M1 Carbine?

or a Mini-14?
>>
>>33372647
If M1 came in .223...
>>
>>33370961

I'm not going to convince you to get an AR OP,

I love my mini 14, the mags are expensive but it feeds well and eats any ammo you give it. Only problem I really see is the gas system makes the barrel hot quicker than other .223 rifles.
>>
>>33371563
you just stated the compelling argument against the ruger mini.
>shelling out $700 for it

its a shit gun, at a very expensive price
>>
>>33373515
And in your opinion what makes it a shit fun?

>inb4 you say something about an ar
>>
Got 2 a 184 and a 581. I like the 184 better and while an ar15 is cheaper, the mini 14 is simpler. I can field strip both of mine blindfolded. And the simpler design makes it a little easier to clean and maintain and besides, I like steel and wood guns.
>>
>>33370961
>worth the $700 price tag

No. Not that there is anything exceptionally wrong with the gun. Its not as accurate as an AR. Its not as modular as an AR. Its heavier than an AR.

You can get an AR that is better than a Mini for less than a Mini.

If you live in a ban state, sure. If you. just like the classic look of it, sure. A Mini 14 is just expensive for what it is.

>>33372647
>>33372878
Mini 14. Ammo is more common and varied, and cheaper. That doesn't stop me from wanting an M1 Carbine though, probably for similar reasons you want the Mini. Your money, your choice. Just be aware of what you are getting.
>>
>>33373580
no i am not an AR guy. in my opinion, what makes it a shit gun is that it cant shoot for shit. its a rifle that groups like a shotgun. i actually can overlook the overpriced mags and compatible accessories because i dont give a shit about that aftermarket tactical crap. but if i am buying a rifle, in .223, i want to be able to hit a small animal sized target at 50 yards, not throw out groups the size of a car
>>
>they have shit accuracy
>hate steel ammo
>but goddamn if they aren't sexy as all hell
sit on armslist or outdoortrader for a week and one will pop up for 500.
>>
>>33373985
>>33373580
i will say i love the way they look though. and i love the M14 and M1A style guns to death. if the mini 14 shot halfway decent i would be the first to own one, but my experiences with 3 personally, and the anecdotal stories online i read, and personal experience with a mini 30, all have proven to me that they are a gimmick and not a well finished rifle from the factory. to get it to group consistently you will need to accurize and work on it. im sure some people have gotten the odd one that shoots great out of the box. i guess if money was no object and you are fine with a 8 MOA rifle/noise maker, go for it
>>
>>33373985
>>33373994
From what I've read and the videos I've watched the newer models have much better accuracy than the older ones.
>>
>>33370961
would you grab a mini 14 or a lever action 30-30 for self defense?
>>
>>33374029
well i am an older guy, so if that is the case i will be the first to say i stand corrected
>>
>>33374029
from my understanding new ones are still pulling 1.5-2/5 groups. and lets not screw around, 700 is only the price tag at wally world, you go anywhere else they are usually pushing 830ish, lord forbid you want a stainless steel model. You can EASILY build a .5 moa AR for 800. Don't get me wrong, I love minis, want to get a mini 30 soon. But you can't justify buying one other than "I like the way it looks".
>>
>>33371102
Wood mini is best mini. Wood with stainless is downright sexy. They're very good rifles anon, just remember >>33371027 and enjoy your (non-folding) A-team gun.
>>
>>33374182
Why such a big price difference between wally world and everywhere else?
>>
>>33374259
It's either economy of scale or factory seconds.
>>
>>33370961
I've owned a 581 stainless, 583 blued and 185 stainless Mini-14s over the years.

Want something like an M14 but cheaper to run? It scratches that itch.
Want an M1 carbine but in .223? It does a great job of that. It really is an improved M1 carbine.
Want a decent, lightweight rifle to him with? Thete are lighter options but it works and is durable enough for the task.
Want a precision benchrest rifle? There is a target model, but generally speaking no, it's poorly suited for that role.
Want an HD/tactical/SHTF rifle? The magazine availability isn't ideal and you really don't want to go tacticooling it too much. It works best when reasonably stock. Mag changes are also a bit tricky until you get some practice. Can it serve this role? You bet! And it can do it very well. Maybe not the best, but if you got in a shootout with some dude with a Colt AR it wouldn't come down to what gun is being used.
Live in a ban state? It's a nice ban- resistant rifle but if you really want an AR it's not a good substitute. Don't get the Mini-14 because you want an AR.

Accuracy? Average at best. Get a 580 model and it'll perform about as good as a cheap AR. Trigger jobs and struts help a little, but chasing sub-moa is a frustrating waste of time and money.
Also with 580 models replace the rear sight ASAP. It's garbage.

Reliability? Great. I've had amazing results with all kinds of ammo, including steel cased garbage. Mags can be tricky, and factory mags are expensive but I've had at least mixed luck with aftermarket ones.

Price? Buy used. They don't really wear out. $650 for a previously loved 580 is much better than 1k for a new one. $700 new isn't bad though, and you can sometimes get em on discount.
>>
>>33374259
most gunshops are small one guy or family owned businesses, they dont have the discounts of buying straight from the manufacturer. they basically buy at the price wally world sells, then resell to the internetless old elmer fuddords who haunt their shops
>>
File: 1488310298835.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1488310298835.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>33374036
>the only guns I own are a 30-30 and a mini 14

Fug
>>
File: 47jvwo2.jpg (63KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
47jvwo2.jpg
63KB, 1024x682px
>>33371222

I'd avoid the SU-16.

Typical Kel-tec memes aside, I've seen 1 with a cracked receiver and another with a broken one. Even if they hold up, they just don't feel quality.
>>
>>33374703
So basically paying an extra $130+ to support the smug know it all asshole that owns the lgs? No thanks.
>>
>>33374941
yes, thats how gun stores work. are you new at buying guns or something? i think the lag in affect the internet has had is due to the fact most of the "gun" type people are old dudes with old habbits
>>
>>33371762
The rails kill it for me every time. They just don't look like the belong. Looks great otherwise though
>>
>>33374967
Not really new but I won't pretend to know everything either. I didn't know I there was a difference in quality between guns sold at Wal-Mart vs. everywhere else.
>>
>>33374857
Mount the level action under the Mini 14 as if it was an under slug lever action grenade launcher.
>>
>>33374036
okay a mini 14 or a lever action henry?
>>
>>33375016
no theres no difference in quality, just prices. just like anything else retail, the big companies that move a lot of product can afford to charge less
>>
>>33370997
Why the fuck does Ruger not want people to buy magazines?
>>
>>33374926
What about a Saiga semi?
>>
>>33374926
Note the date on this pic. Kel-Kek, in my experience, always solves the problem. Just 3 years too late. I like em, not enough to buy one though...
>>
>>33375279

All the broke-ass SU-16's I've seen have been in the last couple years. Up here in Canadaland they're an AR-15 alternative, and guys who shoot them a lot then to have issues. The guys who use them once in a while or as survival guns seem fine.

Basically, they don't seem very durable, but they work. For a while.
>>
>>33375196
Good to know my lgs owner is a prick and price gouges to the extreme
>>
>>33375477
sounds normal, lots of LGS are like that. every once in a while you find a great one that prices competitively or negotiates and takes offers but for the most part most seem to be gougers because they can. lots of old rich dudes wanting to buy up everything because "muh gun bans". prices will drop these next few years dramatically, just wait it out
>>
>>33374926
I had one and it worked great, but I could definitely feel it was cheap. The plastic would flex, the bipod felt like it would fall off and break is used, the magazines are garbage and if you don't put something in the stock it wobbles.
Screws would also rust constantly. Field stripping was also a bitch.

Good only as a backpacking/innawoods survival gun and only in the same way the AR-7 is. As an actual rifle, not so good.
>>33374941
It works out if you buy it used at a steep discount. But yeah, selling used guns for over MSRP new, fuck that. I see it all the time too.
>>33375239
They don't want to support or even manufacture the Mini-14 anymore. Everybody makes AR-15s and AR-15 accessories nowadays so it's difficult to make money on anything that isn't one.

It's a shame, since the Mini-14 is nice and there's a lot to love about it. There is also a lot of potential if it were redesigned to use AR mags, but Ruger sees that there's a small market of people either stuck in ban states or who just want something different, so they'll reluctantly keep it in production but charge cockbag prices for the gun and magazines.
>>
>>33372647
Yea I'll take 30-06 over .223 any day.
>>
>>33375239
I've heard the current owners are fud as shit. Guns are for hunting, you don't need 30 rounds to kill a dear, ect ect.
>>
>>33372878

>M1 in .223

That's literally what the Mini-14 is.

>>33372647

Min-14, purely for ammunition cost and availability. Everyone and their dog has .223 laying around, not so much for .30 Carbine.
>>
>>33370961
Its another boring autoloader shooting the absolute most boring of all rounds. Better aesthetics than an AR? Yes, definitely. If you're in a ban state and on a budget look no further. Also you wont be one of THOSE GUYS shooting some gucci AR. But ultimately...yawn.
>>
>>33375239

They want people to. But there's the whole economy of scale thing to keep in mind. A gorillion STANAG guns are out there, which means lots of demand for mags. Lots of demand, means lots of sales and lots of companies making them. Thus, they're dirt cheap.

The mini-14 magazine only fits the 14, and the existing demand doesn't justify Ruger making them in the giant numbers required to drive the price down, or for competitors to be able to economically undercut them.
>>
>>33374857
>tfw only own a 30-30 and a 9mm
>wanting a mini 14 so i clicked on this thread
>see this post
>>
>>33372647

Mini-14.

223 is everywhere, all the time.

30 carbine was one of the rounds that just evaporated during the ammo shortages.
>>
It's a ban state gun. Do you live in CA, NJ, NY or Mass? The mini-14 is for you.
>>
>>33370961

ar15 is miles better. Only people who get this still is commiefornia bitches that don't want to bother with a featureless build.

Total pain in the butt to clean, you'll be fiddlin with that bolt for daaaaaaaays. And I've never really liked not being able to remove the barrel and look through the bore. And they will never be as accurate as an AR of even a lower price range.

Also mags are really annoying to rock in / drop as well as being pricey.

That being said, if you have an M1 it is a really cute gun to carry with it.
>>
File: saiga223-52.jpg (39KB, 799x275px) Image search: [Google]
saiga223-52.jpg
39KB, 799x275px
>>33378895
Saiga Semi-Auto > AR15
>>
>>33378911

>freefloat barrel where

No. They are fun to shoot with irons, but aren't worth it for more than 350 dollery doos.

I don't know what point you were trying to make.
>>
File: 1400131339034.jpg (898KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1400131339034.jpg
898KB, 1944x2592px
>>33370961
Just stopping in to post this.
I don't own a mini-14. But if Ruger or some aftermarket company would start making a quality reproduction of this stock, I would immediately order 2 stocks, and go out and buy 1 mini-14 and one mini-30.
I'm so sad that it hasn't happened yet..
>>
>>33378895
accurate enough

rock and lock mags are fine

cleaning isn't hard or required frequently
>>
>>33379414
>enough

No. And never. Can't even mount a scope with ease.

It is only for cucked states, or if you have an M1 Garand lying around that you want to role play little and big sister go shooting together. Which when I get a garand I totally will do.

That and the potential for a folding stock >>33379364 , but even then it is very meh and niche. Way too expensive for a truck gun too. But yeah, cleaning and maintenance isn't too bad at all except for ding dangling that bolt back in.

A cheaper AR can do everything the mini can do, but better.
>>
>>33379441
but what if I already have a rifle far superior to the AR and am just looking for one that is more fun to shoot than it is to gucci.

consider this a broad challenge, without resorting to
>m-muh AR-15
try to tell me what is really wrong with the Mini-14. Or the M14 civilian variants. Or any number of fun to shoot rifles with *gasp* character.

It may cost me some money but I can buy/build a rifle that runs circles around a 16" AR-15. Maybe you cant afford that rifle, but that's not my problem...dont be mad at me because you cant git gud enough to buy a SCAR.
>>
File: RanchRifle_100y_AE-AR223_55g.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
RanchRifle_100y_AE-AR223_55g.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
This from a stock standard 583-series Mini-14 @ 100y, using an easily-mounted 2x7 scope. Accurate enough.

They aren't hard to clean. Even with a scope, the bolt wiggles free after some practice.

Mags are overpriced, as is the gun itself, true.

They're fun, and if you're in a shitty state or Canuckistan where ARs can't go innawoods, they're a decent option.
>>
>>33379605

The only interesting rifles are accurate ones, and for the money the mini isn't worth it. Full stop.

Character is what you've assigned to it, mostly likely because you live in a cucked state wit shit laws
>>
>>33374029
the target models are considered accurate.

the ranch and tactical models still get inconsistent groups from 3-5moa. Match ammo and hand loads get it shooting more consistently and make fliers less common but you'll still be working pretty hard to keep groups tight. If you still want to get moa you'll need to start modding which adds more to the cost of the gun.
>>
>>33370961

only for cuck states.

>>33379611

>3 shot groups

why is this allowed
>>
File: ingram sam-1.jpg (43KB, 1500x373px) Image search: [Google]
ingram sam-1.jpg
43KB, 1500x373px
>>33370961
They're good guns, but very expensive. If you want a .223/556 that shoots from a wood stock rifle with the M1 style action, you're in business. Beyond that, there really isn't a practical purpose for it to exist. Any practical reason you'd want a 223/556 rifle, the AR beats it, unless you're in a ban state.

If you live in Commiefornia, the Mini is one of your better options, next to the ARES SCR.

If Ruger made one that took AR-15 magazines, I'd leap on that like a dog in heat, cause spending $45-$50 for a 30 round magazine is fucking retarded.

There was another rifle that was prototyped and scrapped, the Ingram SAM-1 rifle, that looks like a Mini 14 and took AR magazines. It's a shame this isn't made because I'd leap on this like a dog in heat.
>>
>>33379605

found the dumbass that paid 1100 for a stainless ranch rifle
>>
>>33380007
That's sad, if they made the SAM-1 now it would sell like crazy. I want one.
>>
>>33379724
>accurate
>AR-15

pick one
>>
File: 1487878954089.jpg (139KB, 950x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487878954089.jpg
139KB, 950x960px
>>33380199
0/10
>>
>>33380007
>If Ruger made one that took AR-15 magazines.
this. It sucks everything has to be ar15 centric but dammit i have stacks of ar mags and it would be nice if they worked in a rifle that i want to like.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.