[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could the US have advanced their small arms technology better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: screen11.jpg (144KB, 838x782px) Image search: [Google]
screen11.jpg
144KB, 838x782px
How could the US have advanced their small arms technology better in the WWII period and after instead of sticking with the M1 Garand for about 30 years?
Not that they had to, just for the sake of discussion.

For example could the BAR have been replaced with an improved automatic rifle, such as the Johnson LMG, instead of still using Great War designs 20-30 years later, or the Johnson LMG developed into a belt fed sort of GPMG to compete with weapons like the FG-42 and MG-34?
>>
>>33367844
protip: small arms are just there for show

american military doctrine: advance until you take casualties, take cover, call in airstrike, advance until you take more casualties
>>
>>33367844
Still won.
>>
>>33367874
This
War is waged between artillery divisions
Everything else is a sideshow
>>
File: Machine_gun_M1941_Johnson_3.jpg (61KB, 576x438px) Image search: [Google]
Machine_gun_M1941_Johnson_3.jpg
61KB, 576x438px
>>33367874
>>33367882
>>33367882
>just for the sake of discussion
>proceeds to refuse to discuss

The adoption of the Johnson MG or developing it into a belt fed GPMG could have allowed America to effectively copy the doctrine of the Nazis with the squad automatic weapon suppressing while the riflemen take advantage of the covering fire to maneuver, which would be quite effective with the semi-automatic Garands as our standard infantry weapon compared to Germany's bolt actions, in addition to our standard procedure of being able to airstrike anything the troops run into.
Which is basically the doctrine we've used since the introduction of the M60.

The Garand could have been adapted to use the the same kind of rotary magazine the Johnson Rifle used as well for 10 round magazines and easier reloads, though no ping. I know at least one such Garand existed, because I've seen a picture but I can't find it right now.
>>
>>33367874
>Suddenly find yourself in a situation without aircover
>All your squads get decimated because they don't have weapons that can compete with the enemy
>>
File: BAR 40 round magazine.jpg (42KB, 610x480px) Image search: [Google]
BAR 40 round magazine.jpg
42KB, 610x480px
>>33367941
>tfw no Johnson Light Automatic Rifle that takes 40 round Anti-Aircraft BAR magazines
>>
>m14
Duh
>>
>>33367844
>For example could the BAR have been replaced with an improved automatic rifle, such as the Johnson LMG
That's not how you say the Winchester Automatic Rifle, anon
>>
By adopting the Peterson instead of the Garand
>>
File: 51786x1.jpg (136KB, 1600x782px) Image search: [Google]
51786x1.jpg
136KB, 1600x782px
>>33368598
Get that antiquated shit out of here, the Johnson was a rockin' proto-AR
>>
>>33367844
Cost.

The JAR was turned down in favor of the M1, and the Army didn't want to pay for the development/production of a second platform.

As for the JLMG, the BAR had already been around for awhile, and the US army didn't consider adopting German Light Infantry Doctrine (LID) until the war had already begun.

With the US army lacking time for the development of a new LMG, they simply took what they had because they didn't intend to rely upon LMG based LID.

TL;DR
BAR was cheap and convenient
>>
File: BARF_MONITOR.jpg (61KB, 1024x472px) Image search: [Google]
BARF_MONITOR.jpg
61KB, 1024x472px
lol the BARF boat anchor verse the faggot42 fascist phallic dildo

colt monitors look cool though
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.