[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this everything we want to be? That violence needed to victory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: starship troopers.jpg (38KB, 302x500px) Image search: [Google]
starship troopers.jpg
38KB, 302x500px
Is this everything we want to be?
That violence needed to victory means moral truth?
>>
>>33365133
Heinlein would be one of us
>>
>>33365133
>violence needed to victory means moral truth

This is not good syntax. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply.
>>
>>33365226
Honestly, it's hard to tell

Heinlein's books are varied

SST is "fascist conservative" while The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is very very libertarian and Stranger in Strange Land is very very liberal
Hard to tell what he was
>>
>>33365249
Sorry, I'm drunk

What I'm paraphrasing means is that morality is under natural selection and that the surviving morality is necessary is the right one since morality is a complex word for "means of survival"

If morals means survival
Then morality means most survivors
>>
>>33365133
>That violence needed to victory means moral truth?

I have no idea what the fuck that means but I sure as shit want power armor with a jump pack and the ability to toss nukes like fucking candy.
>>
>>33365261
This is pretty true. He was an author that liked to explore different ideas. Read 10 of his books, get 11 different political systems.

Fucking retarded when people only read the blurb of SST and call him a fascist when SiaSL was post-hippy.

But outside of his fiction, he was a pretty classic small L libertarian. Pro-gun, pro-freedom, pro-government-fuck-off-where-you-aren't-necessary. All his non-fiction work, his letters etc. pretty much support that.
>>
>>33366919
Daily reminder that he helped develop the concept of the CIC in warships.
>>
File: template.png (66KB, 233x255px) Image search: [Google]
template.png
66KB, 233x255px
And here I've been putting off reading Heinlein. No ebooks though, paper it is. Better for innawoods anyway
>>
>>33366919
Didn't Asimov say that Heinlein's politics depended on the woman he was seeing at the time?

You don't have to read the blurb of Starship Troopers to think Heinlein is a fascist, anyway. You just need to read the book.
>>
>>33368141
>Asimov say that Heinlein's politics depended on the woman he was seeing at the time

But almost all of his work, and all his most famous was during his marriage to his last wife who he stayed married to until his death.

>You don't have to read the blurb of Starship Troopers to think Heinlein is a fascist, anyway. You just need to read the book.

Except the book doesn't advocate fascism. Which was my point about people only reading the blurb.

The book doesn't advocate the society as any sort of utopia or model. The only thing you could argue is does advocate for, if anything, is a personal philosophy about responsibility.

Second, you can explore themes in a book without them being your personal philosphy. Otherwise Heinlein has to somehow simultaneously be a communist, a libertarian, a free love hippy, a fascist and an anarchist.

Lastly, and most importantly, the nation in the book isn't fascist. Its a representative democracy with limited suffrage. And suffrage isn't even restricted to military veterans, just those that have done a voluntary term of civil service.

There are modern EU countries more fascist than that. They have mandatory conscription, not voluntary, and if you dodge it you're a felon and can't vote. Is Greece Fascist?

Did you actually read the book?
>>
>>33365133

>he didnt understand that its satire

Oh boy...
>>
Just came here to say I love this book. Any other /K/ related Heinlein recommendations?
>>
>>33368400

>You don't have to read the blurb of Starship Troopers to think Heinlein is a fascist, anyway. You just need to read the book.

Who ever wrote this should be forcefully sterilized (ironically).
>>
What's your fav Heinlein book, anons?
Mine is Double Star. No bad scene, an original idea, it's just right.

>>33366919
The only constant thing in Heinlein's bibliography is that he really wanted to give his younger niece the D (Time for the stars, Door into summer, and another one I can't remind).

>>33368400
>just those that have done a voluntary term of civil service.
You sure about that? It's been a while, but I don't remember it so.

I totally agree that the society portrayed in this book lacks a lot of elements to be fascist, though.
>>
>>33368571
Just finished reading that a few weeks ago and I'm very glad I did. It was a good read. My favorite would have to be either Space Cadet or Citizen of the Galaxy.
>>
>>33368648
My inner child adventurer always loved Tunnel in the Sky, but as I get older, Glory Road takes up a larger place in my heart.

I still cry every time I read that bit in the beginning where Oscar thinks about what he wants out of life, and how I'll never get that.

“What did I want?
I wanted a Roc's egg. I wanted a harem loaded with lovely odalisques less than the dust beneath my chariot wheels, the rust that never stained my sword,. I wanted raw red gold in nuggets the size of your fist and feed that lousy claim jumper to the huskies! I wanted to get up feeling brisk and go out and break some lances, then pick a like wench for my droit du seigneur--I wanted to stand up to the Baron and dare him to touch my wench! I wanted to hear the purple water chuckling against the skin of the Nancy Lee in the cool of the morning watch and not another sound, nor any movement save the slow tilting of the wings of the albatross that had been pacing us the last thousand miles.
I wanted the hurtling moons of Barsoom. I wanted Storisende and Poictesme, and Holmes shaking me awake to tell me, "The game's afoot!" I wanted to float down the Mississippi on a raft and elude a mob in company with the Duke of Bilgewater and the Lost Dauphin.
I wanted Prestor John, and Excalibur held by a moon-white arm out of a silent lake. I wanted to sail with Ulysses and with Tros of Samothrace and eat the lotus in a land that seemed always afternoon. I wanted the feeling of romance and the sense of wonder I had known as a kid. I wanted the world to be what they had promised me it was going to be--instead of the tawdry, lousy, fouled-up mess it is.”
>>
>>33370059
Personally, I find the Puppet Masters fascinating.
Sure, it's part of the anti-commie craze, but if you ignore it it's still a great book, the most action-packed of Heinlein's imo.
>>
>>33370304
I enjoyed puppet masters, but I always found Heinlein's romance to be a little awkward. Just not that convincing.
>>
Not /k/ related at all, but 'The Rolling Stones' was incredibly entertaining. So much goddamned patented Heinlein sass that it was damn near a comedy.
>>
>>33370346
It's definitely his weakpoint.
>>
Any other good military sci-fi to recommend ? (since it's /k/ and all)
I'm currently reading Steakley's Armor.

Just before than, I had read Hamilton's Fallen Dragon and due to a retro cover the setting is forever set in 1970s' aesthetics in my mind.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.