[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To those of you who hunt, do you use a scoped rifle or just iron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: Nugget.jpg (570KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Nugget.jpg
570KB, 1280x800px
To those of you who hunt, do you use a scoped rifle or just iron sights? If the former, do you know anybody who hunts bigger game with iron sight rifles?

Also what do you guys think about the remington 700? I'd like to have a rifle with a scope but all I have at the moment are milsurp rifles and I'm not going to bubba them.
>>
Modern Remingtons are fucking garbage. Get a Savage, Ruger, Howa, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, CZ, or basically any other bolt gun.
>>
>>33362442
to be honest I don't really know much about modern firearms myself. I know I want one chambered in .308 and due to my ignorance I sort of always avoided savage because they were always pretty cheap price wise (with milsurp, you generally get what you pay for).

Do you have any personally have a preferred rifle?
>>
>>33362516
The only bolt action I own is a hexnugget, but I've fired a bunch of others. If you want one in .308 that can use both scopes and irons, I recommend a Ruger Gunsite Scout (yes it can still take normal scope mounts) or a CZ 550. The CZ 550FS is basically modern-production milsurp - full mannlicher stock, irons, Mauser 98 action.
>>
>>33362548
>The CZ 550FS is basically modern-production milsurp - full mannlicher stock, irons, Mauser 98 action.

Its fucking beautiful... Thanks a bunch anon, hunting season is still a ways away as well which gives me time to get good. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>33362421
I use my Mosin 91/30 with stock iron sights when I hunt.

I got a good one at a good price, and it works for me.
>>
>>33362667
You know I was considering do that, there really would be nothing stopping me, but I'd hate to miss by getting overexcited and either miss my mark, or ruin the meat with a shitty shot. In general, I don't trust myself all to well with it yet.

More power to you though anon, eventually I'll get good with my mosin, but it'll be a while.
>>
>>33362421
I have a '64 Remington 700. My dad bought it when he was younger. It's taken big game all over Utah, he's never used the irons though. The front iron is bent.

Excellent gun, though I hear they kinda peaked in the 60s. Not sure if that is true.

/r/ing a scope in the $300 range to throw on it. Right now it has a *very* outdated 3-8x.
>>
>>33362442
How would you rank those manufacturers in terms of quality? Which of them are the best value overall?
>>
>>33362421
I hunt with iron sights, of course I hunt really narrow river valleys and mountainside game trails, so the durr are never more than 100 yards away from the muzzle of my fuddy-fuddy 336.
>>
>>33362892
Not the guy you're responding to but Savage are pretty good in my opinion. Some of the best out-of-the-box accurate rifles I've ever owned. I've got two varmint rifles from them
>>
>>33362725
Nikon Prostaff is a pretty good scope for the money
>>
File: nido_Mosin.jpg (82KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
nido_Mosin.jpg
82KB, 960x720px
>>33362421
I use a scope on my .22 rifle for rabbits and squirrels. I use a dot on my AK and don't use anything on my AR or shotgun. I want to take my nugget out for deer sometime with irons.
>>
I use my milsurp guns for hunting, so iron sights
>>
>>33362421
Stay far the fuck away from anything remington, especially the 700
>>>33362214
Any modern bolt guns will serve you just well for hunting really. If you can hit vitals every times at your desired range with milsurp, they work too.
>>
Safari/dangerous game rifles are iron sight only a lot of the time.
>>
File: IMG_2763.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2763.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>33362639
I have one, it's fuckin nice
>>
>>33362421
Took a white tail last year with an iron sight turk Mauser, it just depends on where you're hunting. I wouldn't try to take game past 100 yards with iron sights, but if you're hunting in that range they're fine. Also took one at ~40 yards with a slug gun with iron sights.

What is your intended hunting area/target
>>
>>33364189
100 yards really, I still have quite a bit of time until deer hunting season so I'll take this time to get good with my mosin.
>>
i use a scope because i'm in a plains area, getting a shot under 100yds is a godsend but never a guarantee.
>>
ive known people who hunt deer and stuff with irons but i wouldnt really chance it if theyer too far out but personally thats just me the most ive heard of people hunting with irons is guys who go on safari and stuff
>>
>>33364223
Yeah it can definitely be done in that range reliably with some practice. As you progress though, scopes will be better. It's just more accurate. You don't want to be accidently blasting through backstraps or making shots that aren't humane.
>>
>>33362892
Of those listed, they're all really good manufacturers. Savage wins for "best value" by making a sub-$300 durr rifle that's light, accurate, has a half-decent trigger, and isn't a Hi-Point esque brick. If you're willing to spend a little more, Tikka has a 1MOA factory guarantee, which is pretty sweet.
>>
File: 5.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>33362421
I use both, but i like using irons. More of a challenging
>>
File: image 6.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image 6.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>33365534
...experiance
>>
>>33362421
ive got shit vision, so i use scope.
>>
>>33362421
Glass or GTFO
Around here in the brush a Vortex Strike Eagle II 1-6x24 is respectable. If you want a more modern 3-9, try the Nikon PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14x40. Both are routinely available under $300.
>>
Irons on small game like rabbits and squirrel. Use irons on hogs too.

Scope on durr and coyotes.

Sometimes I'll take a coyote with the irons on my 30-30 if I'm out on the property and see one.
>>
While it's off season, learn to stalk with a camera. Take it of auto focus and set it to 50 yds.
>>
>>33363798
That is the only calibre to get that rifle in, patrician tast my friend.
>>
>>33364223
I used to take my nugget up into the mountains and blast 2 liters and milk jugs at 250 and 300 yards with irons and spam can ammo. It was great practice, but boy was it a time.
>>
>>33362421
I've taken three deer and a moose with a Mauser 98k using only irons, mostly because I can't afford a scope mount and I like larping as a Wehrmacht sniper
>>
File: DSCN1407.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1407.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>33362421
I like to hunt squirrels and other small stuff with a set of target diopter sights.

For deer I just use a scope with a fat cross hair so I can still hunt late into the evening.
Although I've always wanted to ground-hunt hogs with an old bolt gun with irons.
>>
File: 1486347690220.jpg (63KB, 540x778px) Image search: [Google]
1486347690220.jpg
63KB, 540x778px
>>33363798
>Manlicher
>>
My grandfather, my uncle and myself all have hunted with irons for most of our lives. My grandfather bought a mauser the krauts left behind after the war in the 50's. Gave it to my uncle who put a new stock on it. And he gave it to me for my confirmation. Works great for deer and moose.
>>
>>33363767
They're also usually fired at <75yds on an animal with a vital zone the size of a human child.

And most of the African plains game is hunted with what's basically an elk or moose rifle replete with 3-9x mid tier scope. And could easily be killed with less if there wasnt the lion/jaguar threat.
>>
>>33367468
Its damn near impossible to get spam cans nowadays. What the fuck happened?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.