[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've decided that I want to get my first shotgun since I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: slide release.png (420KB, 711x475px) Image search: [Google]
slide release.png
420KB, 711x475px
I've decided that I want to get my first shotgun since I've got an old trap/skeet thrower to practice with. I was thinking about getting a pump action to start with since they're supposedly the most reliable, so I went to a gun store to try out a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. I found that it was very difficult to depress the slide release on either of them. I pretty much had to take it off my shoulder to push it in with my fingernail each time because the soft pad of my index finger couldn't apply enough force and was uncomfortable.

Is there a pump-action shotgun without this issue? Should I just get a Benelli M4 instead?
>>
You're not going to be using the slide release much at all. It's not something you particularly want to be easy to press and I'm sure it'll loosen up with use. The Benelli nova/supernova that I had was fairly easy (but not too easy) if that's a deciding factor for you.
>>
>>33362214
Sorry you have dainty hands? Start swinging a hammer or something and build some muscles.
>>
>>33362214
I have a recent-make Mossberg 500 and that isn't the case at all. It's pretty easy to actuate.
>>
>>33362214
>very difficult to depress the slide release on either of them.

I've never even heard of anyone having trouble with an action bar lock, other than it's on the wrong side of the trigger guard for right handers on an 870.
>>
>>33362254
You're retarded. Read my post.
>>
>>33362386
Millions of people have had no issue doing it in the past, but you do and it's the guns fault?
>>
>>33362239
What do you mean? Should I just keep the trigger continually depressed from the time I fire until another shell is loaded in the chamber? Is that what people do to cycle these things quickly?
>>
>>33362417
Obviously people did since they invented automatic shotguns.
>>
>>33362462
No?
>>
>>33362472
Yes.
>>
>>33362436
Once you fire it you don't need to use the slide release to rack another round in for followup shots...that's only to unload an unfired shell.
>>
File: BPU-500-2.jpg (41KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
BPU-500-2.jpg
41KB, 500x250px
>>33362214
Well it could be the way you as a user are built, they are ways to turn the Mossberg 500 or remington 870 into a bullpup using conversion kits. That may help with the angle you are working with.
>>
>>33362527
Oh, I didn't know that. I just handled one in a store, so I assumed you had to push it in to load a new shell each time. That seems much less annoying.
>>
>>33362502
>I can't depress a button to open the slide
>guess I'll make a semi automatic shotgun
Sure thing senpai.
>>
>>33362566
I'm 6'1", 190# and I lift, so if I had trouble I figured something was wrong with either my technique or the guns themselves, which seemed unlikely, but >>33362527 explained it.
>>
>>33362580
Nope , not the case. If you dry-fire it, you will be able to open it back up without the button. That feature is so that you don't take the shell out of battery (by pulling the pump backwards) when you're trying to shoot it.
>>
The slide release isn't hard to use at all. I guess the one you were using are fucked. For skeet, most people tend to use O/U, I think they can be had for cheaper. If you really want a pump, check out the ithaca 37, good gun. Stay far away from remington, unless you can get a pre 2007.
>>
>>33362674
>Stay far away from remington, unless you can get a pre 2007.

Look for a serial number that has the letter A through M in it. N or later are crap.
>>
>>33362712
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLL50cu40U
>>
>>33362436
>What do you mean? Should I just keep the trigger continually depressed from the time I fire until another shell is loaded in the chamber? Is that what people do to cycle these things quickly?

Holy shit. You've never seen anyone shoot a pump action shotgun before? How did you even know about the action bar lock?
>>
>>33362674
>>33362712
I'll keep that in mind. I heard about the rust/finish issues and general shoddiness, but the one I had didn't seem too fucked. My dad has an old Citori but I wanted something with a different feel to it.
>>
>>33362214
the release button on my 870 is extremely easy to push in, even wearing gloves. The only reason it would be heavy is if you're putting pressure on the action when you try to depress it. On some shotguns that completely locks the release because the action has to be locked completely forward.
If the hammer is down, the action is unlocked. Except for disassembly or loading directly into an empty barrel you don't use it. The 870 has a very smooth action so it has quick follow-ups for skeet. The Mossbergs just seem looser to me (870's have two rails vs. 1). It will never be as fast as a semi-auto and the extra motion is enough to pull your aim a bit off target so readjusting your aim takes another fraction of a second. You only notice if you're competing and shooting at multiple clays.
>>
>>33362745
Not in real life. Nobody in my family owns any pump action shotguns that I'm aware of. Just over/unders and various single shot/double barrels.
>>
>>33362749
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak

http://www.guns.com/2015/09/23/3-reasons-i-wont-buy-remington-anymore/
>>
File: jianlightart.jpg (125KB, 600x1375px) Image search: [Google]
jianlightart.jpg
125KB, 600x1375px
>>33362750
Really good explanation. Thank you. I'll still get the M4 sooner or later but I want a pump action first because it seems fun.
>>
>>33362727

Lmfao!!! Bubba be PISSED!!! Oh, man, I thought that he had his shit on a cluttered workbench until he threw the gun down!
>>
>>33362846
Yeah this video is comedy but these two links are quite serious, never ever buy anything remington, that company is dead.
>>33362804
>>
>>33362804
>http://www.guns.com/2015/09/23/3-reasons-i-wont-buy-remington-anymore/
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak [Remove]

LOL holy shit. I remember this exactly CNBC special coming on at thanksgiving at my uncle's house years and years ago. He turned the TV off he got so triggered, though I didn't understand why at the time. He's a huge Remhead.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.