[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i have to write a speech for my college class about why you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: thinking.jpg (20KB, 600x497px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
20KB, 600x497px
So i have to write a speech for my college class about why you should own guns, and in the speech i need to find 3 points against my case to refute.

The problem is, i can think of literally no reason why you shouldn't own a gun

Help /k/?
>>
You shouldn't own a gun because
>increased security
>people, especially minorities, can take an actual stand against tyranny
>positive investments
And authoritarian governments don't want these things to happen
>>
>>33362080

You have to think like a libtard/gun grabber.

>They're only good for murder!
>You don't NEED them!
>People who carry guns are more likely to hurt themselves or other innocents than an attacker!
>You have police to protect you!
>Guns are a leading cause of violence!

This shit writes itself, anon. Now, rather than the knee jerk "You fucking moron" reaction most of us have to some idiot saying that online, come up with well thought out and carefully worded responses to each one.
>>
>>33362114 here, do you get extra credit if you come up with rebuttals for more arguments? Because I could go on.
>>
>>33362125
naw its just three points, three rebuttals
I feel like I'm trying to apply too much logic to the antigun side, you might have the right idea. Im pretty sure the rebuttals are easy as piss anyway
>>
Well, you'll get more credibility if you refute the arguments the Left uses that aren't completely based on feelings and then argue why these beliefs are flawed. Three I can think of are:

>it is easier for the mentally disabled to acquire firearms to commit shootings sprees and whatnot

>owning firearms leads to an increased risk of suicide due to the availability of an "easy way out"

>while guns are obviously useful for self defense, in many cases, understandably, CCW holders can draw their firearm in a confrontation too early and escalate a situation that otherwise might not have escalated

These are easy to refute and I'll leave it up to you to do so.
>>
>>33362080
lmgtfy/googleityourself
>>
>>33362080

>>33362153

This would be a good way to go for the arguments included in your presentation, but
if there's a Q&A section at the end like any presentation worth its' salt has, you'd better prepare for >>33362114 as well.
>>
>>33362080
Increased potential of self harm.
Not a necessity.
Expensive.
>>
>>33362312

Why would "expensive" be an argument against them?
>>
>>33362080
1) You're devoting time and money to prepare for a situation which, statistically speaking, isn't going to happen in your lifetime.
2) If you have children, you have to make sure that you keep the your gun(s) locked up and secure, and teach them proper gun safety, lest you come home some day and find they've blown their brains out while playing around.
3. Chance that you'll be seen as dangerous or paranoid, especially in areas where gun ownership isn't common.
>>
>>33362080

>Having to talk about guns in college

How the hell did you get yourself into that mess?

rip
>>
>>33362332
Because generally people have other priorities to spend on, rather than spend a few hundred dollars on something they'll probably never use.
Another "argument" is that not everyone is capable of possibly taking another one's life when the situations demands it, a lot of people much rather just give their wallet/purse or hide.
>>
>>33362080
>school shootings
>mass shootings
>drive by shootings
>muggins
>murder
>suicide
>racist attacks
WHat the hell kind of garbage bait thread is this?
There are literally more reasons to not own a gun than to own a gun
>self defense
Yeah that's one. And don't say they are fun because that makes you sound like a serial killer
>>
>>33362114
Wow /k/ btfo
>>
>>33362428
You know, you almost got me before i read your trip. Guess i need to mellow out
>>
>>33362456

>trip

nope
>>
>>33362456
shut the fuck up kid
This is MY DOMAIN
and you are lucky I allow you to be here
>>
File: 1488847949646.jpg (383KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1488847949646.jpg
383KB, 900x675px
Anti-gun ads like pic related area a good start.
>>
File: GunControl2.jpg (42KB, 399x387px) Image search: [Google]
GunControl2.jpg
42KB, 399x387px
>>33362080
Best is to make your points a aspect of negativity.
>>33362357
>>33362312
>>33362387

Make good points but they are based on utility.

>>33362387
I like the fact that this point explains a lot of no guns folks. They know they do not have the certainty or moral fiber so they think everyone else should do as they do.

Your points to refute I would suggest

Gun control is often a form of social control by those in power. The one with guns get to make the rules.

Expense... The cost of gun ownership is not high. It is less expensive than many hobbies. For example To take my boat out costs 180.00 $ in supplies, weekly marina cost another $60.00/wk. Yearly maintenance is about $2300 all told. Owning a handgun is much less expensive, gives me a skill based hobby and adds to my personal security.

Law and personal rights. The first amendment is supported by the ability of common citizens to resist excesses of government and mobilize support. The second amendment supports the first. Pic related

I have been in countries that have had high levels of gun control. They never work. Criminals with guns. Street gangs RENTING fully automatic weapons for gang stuff. Muggers with pistols and law abiding citizens unable to protect themselves.

Sailing between countries I carry guns. And sometimes when some other craft is behaving strangely with half a dozen guys with big bags on deck me popping up on deck and handing out long arms to my crew/family suddenly makes them turn away. ( they never responded to hails ) Criminals look for soft targets. You look like you will resist you will not be a good target. If I sailed out of Britain I would probably be one of those missing sailboats that happen every year.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.