[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i was offered the chance to buy a s&w 19-3 for 150.00

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 20170315_163318.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170315_163318.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
So i was offered the chance to buy a s&w 19-3 for 150.00 from a coworker of mine. Bluing is worn and theres some rust. Guess it was his dads duty weapon years ago. Still bought it, no regrets there. Should i have it polished and reblued or leave it rusty and worn? Pic related. Any idea on actual value? I kinda feel bad paying so little but it is rusty...
>>
>>33353525
They go from about 800-900 in great condition and anywhere from 250-400 in poor finish condition.
>>
>>33353560
About seven years ago I bought a like new 19-4 with 6 rounds through it for $250 or $350 from a family friend. I really need to see what 19-4 revolvers are selling for now.
>>
>>33353560
He told me hed sell it to me for half of what i thought it was worth. I did some quick googling and told him around 300, so it seems i wasnt too far off.
>>
>>33353624
And in response to OP,

I would leave it as is and keep it wiped down regularly with a silicon cloth. If you want to take it out regularly you may want to refinish it, but I wouldn't sink a lot of money into it.
I wouldn't feel bad about what you gave for it. I wouldn't have given much more than $150 for it in that condition.
>>
That guy is a scumbag for selling his dad's duty weapon.

That said, I would call S&W and ask if they will inspect/refurbish/refinish the gun for you. You will have to pay, of course, but their prices are very reasonable in my experience.

>>33353624
If it's like new but without matching box or paperwork, you can probably expect to get $600-700 for it. If you do have the matching box and paperwork, you could potentially sell it for like $900 to a collector.
>>
Thanks for the replies guys. Its going to be a shooter for sure, I just want it to look nice. I dont think id ever get a ton of cash for it seeing the condition its started in and there being no box etc.. id just have hated to ruin a collectors piece by having it refinished.
>>
>>33353525

How does it shoot? What does the bore look like?

If the bore isn't shot out, you got a good deal.
>>
>>33353929
Havent shot it yet, but the bore is great. Rifling is pretty crisp still. Was probably only fired at annual qualifications and i think those were like 100 rounds tops
>>
>>33353869
>id just have hated to ruin a collectors piece by having it refinished.

Kek, If you reblued it, it would increase the value.
>>
>>33353525
I would just keep it clean and oiled. I have rifles that I carry in my truck that are worn like this and some of my pistols that I've carried for years too.

There are (stupid) people out there that pay extra or sand down their guns for a "battlefield worn" finish.
>>
>>33353525
I copped a Model 27 years ago with the same muzzle wear. Had a competent gunsmith look it over , "carried a lot and shot a little". Nice score on the pinned barrel; so it follows the cylinders are recessed. Rub it down with a soft cloth and Eezox.
>>
>>33353525
Use oil + 0000 steel wool to get rid of the rust. The worn look is cool especially when you can say it was a cop's duty weapon and was probably used to kill nig nogs.
>>
Send it back to Smith and Wesson for refinishing. Call them for instructions. It'll cost $250+ I'll bet, but you'll get a like- new Model 19 back.
>>
>>33353763
No, it didn't have the box/papers. His father gave it to him with the box of ammo he got when he bought it new. Only six rounds were missing. Since then it had just sat in a soft case.
I don't plan on selling it anyway, so I shouldn't be too worried about the value. I really want to get a 686 and retire the 19 before I end up scratching it or something.
>>
>>33353525
Dude, it's a beater model 19. Just shoot the shit out it until the wheel falls off. Buy another revolver and start all over again.
>>
>>33354083
I can believe this. I think they call it distressed. You can spend more money on a guitar that looks like it was dropped down an (up) escalator.
>>
>>33356777
So it's a shooter for sure but it will be retired?

It's worn and has rust, but you're worried about scratching it?

I would inspect it carefully, the forcing cone and top strap especially, if those are good send to S&W for a tune-up and evaluation. If everything checks out then either get rid of the rust and appreciate the worn look, or send out for customization and refinish. I'd also feed it .38 instead of magnums.

There's tons of info on these K-frame magnums out there.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.