[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think of the Irish Naval Service and its fleet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

What does /k/ think of the Irish Naval Service and its fleet? Too small/underpowered, or is it big enough for a smaller nation?

Considerations:

>Ireland population: 4.6 million
>Coastline: c. 3,000km/1865 miles
>Military budget: $950 million/year
>Naval personnel: 1,100
>Current fleet: 8 ships

Fleet characteristics:

>3 Samuel Beckett-class offshore patrol vessels (commissioned 2014, 2015, and 2016) - 2,256 tonnes; 90m/300ft long
>1 Eithne-class offshore patrol vessel (commissioned 1984) - 1,960 tonnes; 84.8m/278ft long
>2 Róisín-class offshore patrol vessels (commissioned 1999 and 2001) - 1,500 tonnes; 78.84m/258.7 ft long
>2 Peacock-class corvettes (commissioned 1988) - 712 tonnes; 62.6m/205ft

Planned upgrades:

>Replacement of Eithne-class OPV with Beckett-class OPV in 2018

General deficiencies compared to other naval services:

>No aviation assets (air support provided entirely by Irish Air Corps)
>No submarines
>No support/utility vessels (tugs, trainers, etc.)

What's your verdict, /k/? Should Ireland expand its navy, or would that be a waste of money?
>>
8 fucking ships

that's not a navy, that's not even a coast guard

Considering Ireland is not a real country anyway it does not really matter, they are UK for all intents and purposes
>>
>>33345562

Considering its job is protecting the Irish coast, it does an adequate job and they would probably get more bang for their buck for investing in the Irish Air Corps if they want more anti-ship capabilities but don't want the money to go to waste.

Think of it less like a navy and more like the US Coast Guard.
>>
Seems like a pretty reasonable setup.
>>
>>33345562
>waste of money?
Fairly much, they stay out of conflicts and like NZ and Canada in that they have (mostly) friendly neighbours that would help if asked
>>
>>33345562
Bunch of pussies
>>
No one is going to invade Ireland, and if anyone tried NATO would be all over it. The only improvement would be to have a helicopter carrier. Comparing Ireland to the US, the 1,100 Navy personnel would be the equivalent of 77,00 US Navy personnel. The equivalent budget would be $66.5 billion.

So Ireland, a country that only does UN deployments and some smaller joint deployments, doesn't get dragged into wars often, and has tons of allies with <0.1% chance of being attacked, is the equivalent of 18% of the US Navy in terms of budget and personnel. That's really damn good for a smaller country. Plus everyone loves Ireland. Sounds pretty comfy.
>>
>no subs
dropped. the greatest potential that a small navy can have comes from small diesel submarines, which can punch FAR above their weight class. without subs, a tiny navy like Ireland's basically exists only to prevent piracy. if you want to have a hope of at least hindering an enemy navy, you need at least submarines.
>>
>>33345793
You're stupid.
>>
>>33345562
Fun fact: The Irish Army only has enough ammunition to last them two weeks in case of an invasion.

We're a shit country with literally zero independence. We rely on everyone else for everything.
>>
I think that ireland is a nation full of uneducated jobbers and that the stupid potato-niggers are crazy if they think they wont be a third world county as soon as ireland is free again
>>
Ireland's navy is the royal navy. Irish are allowed to join to UK armed forces and I don't think there are any circumstances where the UK (and maybe France) would allow an invasion of Ireland.
>>
>>33345818
if you're American that's an extremely ignorant thing to say, as Ireland is one of the freest European countries
>>
>>33345762
>Plus everyone loves Ireland
Right thats why their youth is desperate to leave.
>>
>>33345829
>American
>Using the term "jobbers"

Pretty improbable, lad. About as likely as a Yank calling an Englander a "fecking Pom."
>>
>>33345849
he may be doing it mockingly, haven't you seen how often non-euros say "mate?"
>>
>>33345842
I was talking about the rest of the world m8
>>
>>33345864
>everybody
>lol but not the people who live there
The vast bulk of the rest of the world doesn't even think about Ireland. Who can blame them, Ireland produces alcohol and depression.
>inb4 your shitty two word response "lol you're wrong"
>>
>>33345924
lol you're wrong
>>
>>33345829
>>33345860
>Spud-chucker trying to say his shitty country is more free than a slightly less shit country.
At least america is diverse. Not just a bunch of drunks too busy beating their wives to learn how to read and write and do more than swing a fuckin hammer
>>
>>33345924
>alcohol and depression
You forgot immigrants that act as worse and more expensive mexicans
>>
>>33345829

Americans seem to give Spudland nothing but praise for sticking it to the UK in spite of doing so through terrorism of the same brand used by snackbars.
>>
>>33345570
>Considering Ireland is not a real country anyway it does not really matter, they are UK for all intents and purposes

this
>>
>>33346102

You need to think of your average American thinking of Britain the same way small children from Britain think about Germany when they first learn about the world wars and the Nazis.
>>
>>33345562
Hmm, I would add at least 4 to 6 out dated diesel subs as it would be a cheaper deal, just as good stealth and easier to fuel. Nuclear models would not fit the need as it would be more a defensive role so wont be going around the world.
>>
>>33345793

We're talking about Ireland here, not North Korea. Calm your shit.
>>
>>33345762
Ireland isn't in NATO
>>
>>33345562
As a British Scot this shit makes me so angry knowing that if Scotland goes independent they will be reduced to this while relying on the actual Royal Navy to defend them in any event.

Pathetic.
>>
Ireland has no real Navy
It's only real offensive capability in it's Air Force is seven prop planes with COIN armaments
And it's army is only slightly less of a joke

Granted, it's not like Ireland has anyone to fight, but still
>>
>>33345562
Irish Navy. Doesn't England own you?

Braveheart, Mel Gibson?
>>
File: this offends the mick.png (23KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
this offends the mick.png
23KB, 429x410px
>>33345829
>as Ireland is one of the freest European countries
Divorce only legalised 20 years ago. Abortion still illegal today.
>>
>>33345828
>I don't think there are any circumstances where the UK (and maybe France) would allow an invasion of Ireland
the only possible invasion of ireland the UK would permit would be its own.

Ireland is strategically worthless except as a jumping off point for a invasion of the UK so any attempt at a invasion of Ireland would be viewed as a direct existential attack upon the UK and be dealt with accordingly
>>
>>33345570
Yeah well Ireland is basically Wisconsin with more hills
>>
>>33346075

> Spud-chucker

Goddamn, anon. A new anti-Irish slur for me to use. Thanks.
>>
>>33345924
They also take it with them wherever they go
>>
>>33346602
He didn't say it was. Said they do UN deployments.

That said, how much of Ireland's GDP goes into defense? Here in Canuckistan we spend a paltry 0.99% of our GDP. I think we rank 23 out of 28 in NATO... right in between Slovenia & Hungary.
>>
File: fished.webm (922KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fished.webm
922KB, 1280x720px
>>33345562
Compare it to New Zealand, there's your answer.
>>
File: mysteryofthedruids.jpg (31KB, 528x640px) Image search: [Google]
mysteryofthedruids.jpg
31KB, 528x640px
>>33345562
all they need is fast attack boats for mine laying oprations against evil neighbouring island nations
>>
>>33356304
fucking kek that guy got covered in fish guts
>>
>>33358018
And then goes for a salute, what a champ.
The guy kneeslapping behind him always makes me laugh
>>
>>33345570
It's a defense force, it's not supposed to be huge.
>>
>>33345562

2000+ ton ships that don't have any kind of missile armament named after poets... at least one of the ships namesakes fought for French resistance in WWII so all aren't named after hippies.

>>33358747

It isn't capable to defend anything, thanks to UK and NATO there isn't anything to defend from. Irish military is effectively law enforcement agency with some artillery, APCs, MRAPs and light tanks that combines coast guard with some peacekeeping missions.
>>
>>33358018
That blood is coming from his arm, he lost his hand.
>>
>>33359037
Are you sure?
>>
w-why is /k/ so hostile against Ireland?

But nah we don't need a navy or an airforce. Wouldn't be worth the money for something that would be immediately reduced to scrap against any potential invaders (which wouldn't be happening in the foreseeable future).

The best we can hope for is a large, professional army trained in asymmetric warfare that would make it troublesome for any invaders on the ground. Basically to bunker up like Switzerland.
>>
>>33359139
Its not really hostility, just blunt fact.

I myself just miss the days when small ass countries had big fucking navies to take more clay for colonies or guard massive trade assets.

Hell if only we lived in some alternate timeline where imperialism was still happening with large maritine PMCs for supercorps, paramilitary non-government organizations and social movements, along with powerful citystates or small countries like the Netherlands or Portugal were busy running and fighting for world assets. And if the world had like 5 times the continents so there would be more clay and resources to fight over.
>>
Ireland's navy has three things to do basically:

Fisheries enforcement, smuggler interdiction, and assisting vessels in distress.

It also seems to be spending its time ferrying Africans in dinghies to Italy, for shits and giggles. http://www.thejournal.ie/navy-ship-rescue-3119806-Dec2016/
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.