[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The law in my country is shit when it comes to black powder,so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

The law in my country is shit when it comes to black powder,so I researched ways to make it myself.
I have very good quality sulfur and charcoal,but my kno3 says "99.7%" on the bottle.
Is that pure enough for decent quality black powder?
>>
>>33341420
yes
>>
>>33341420
purer than the shit (lel) that they used back in the day
also that;s by weight, there;s a shitload more charcoal going by volume
>>
>>33341420
They used to make it by scraping shit off the floor of bat caves. Purity isn't that important.
>>
>>33341446
>>33341427
>>33341458
Arigato my niggas
now I gotta make a ball mill
>>
>>33341481
2l bottle filled with buckshot, floating in a tub of water, spun via belt
>>
>>33341481
also get a screw press and make dies to press cakes for korning
>>
>>33341490
How fast should it turn?
People on youtube can't seem to agree.
>>
>>33341519
depends on diameter of the thing really
for a standard freedomland 2l bottle I'd go 15-20 rpm
be sure to use heavy/ large enough lead balls for the grinding
also alcohol for wet grinding
>>
>>33341420
http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html
Apparently you don't need sulfur for blackpowder.
>>
>>33341544
>>33341553
thanks
I shall go search for lead balls tomorrow
>>
>>33341594
Cast your own, cheeky breeki

Molds will be cheaper then buying lead balls, and if you can scavange (or sift berms) lead, it's easy. I managed to get 100lbs with a mesh screen from my local range, and learned how to smelt and cast with scrap pots from my house and a turkey burner. Fun and educational!
>>
get rubber coated steel balls from old mice, make a ball mill to get everything into a fine powder and mixed.

then you wet it and push it through a garlic press to make it into corned powder.

meal powder, which is just the ingredients mixed but still in a fine dust. it separates eventually and is a bigger kaboom hazard.
>>
File: 1453140588525.jpg (321KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1453140588525.jpg
321KB, 1000x1000px
>>33341420
>wants black powder
>currently in a no funs country
>now on the search for lead balls

Ahmed?
>>
On the topic of homemade black powder, could you use it in bullets for a homemade SMG, or would it be too dirty?
>>
>>33343880

If it's using a gas or piston system, it'll be fouled up in a matter of a burst... if it'll even cycle.
I don't see a problem with a blowback type, however, just whether or not it'd be enough pressure.
>>
>>33341420
Its fairly pure
If you do have a problem in a batch its likely got a fair bit of ammonium nitrate in it which can retard the reaction in a gunpowder mix. That is quite easy to remove as NH4NO3 is more soluble in water than KNO3- filter paper, cold (chilled) water run through it and then dry out the remainder in the filter.
>>
>>33341420

When looking for lead find tire shops, they use lead weights to balance tires and end up with tons of waste.
>>
>>33341594

I got a shitload of lead from a string of old duck decoys at a garage sale.

A nuke medicine service company can have dickloads of lead, or even check the radiology department at hospitals.
>>
>>33344007
Motorcycle shops will have a can of old weights they might give you for free. Make friends, they all like guns.
>>
>>33341446
I was wondering about that; I thought it was supposed to be closer to 50/50 by volume--is that correct?

And the sulfur is supposedly optional, but recommended.
>>
>>33341594
>>33341544
Why lead balls?

>I too want to make a ball mill
>I do not want heavy metal poisoning
>>
>>33344838
they are heavy, they are cheap, they crush the hell out of the powders inside.
>>
>>33344884
Sure.

But wouldn't stainless high grade steel balls from bearings work too? I have lots of those. (and are piss easy to find at any mechanic shop, as they toss them if the bearing cage is busted).
>>
>>33344922
Yes those would work fine. It's more about having a mechanism to keep a steady and fast enough spinning motion.
>>
>>33344922
Heat and impacts are an issue.
Using steel balls in the mill results in explosions.
>>
>>33343880
The only i could see it working is if it's some sort of delayed blowback system. A roller lock might just work
>>
>>33344946
Only if he runs it really fucking fast and in a hot environment. If he did the water tub and belt method at 10-25rpm or so you wouldn't cook off anything.
>>
>>33344956
Impacts can still set off blackpoder.
There is a reason why powder mills used lead balls and were built away from other structures.
>>
>>33341519
If you can get a copy of "ball milling:theory and practice" by Lloyd Sponenburgh he's an accomplished professional pyrotechnician and he wrote a book about ball milling and how to do it safely and efficiently.
Brass or bronze milling media is better than lead because it wont contaminate your finished product with toxic lead dust. Expensive though.
>>
File: 20170207_211844.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170207_211844.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>33341420
>Is that pure enough for decent quality black powder?
Depends on how you define "decent".

Will it make the gun shoot and kill game/people with good shoot placement? Yes, most of the time.

Will it burn nearly as reliably, efficiently and consistently as factory black powder? No, not even close.

You will most likely experience misfires, it will attract humidity much more, you will not get as much velocity, far worse accuracy etc. It will be all around worse.

The production process is very important as well and you can't expect to get anywhere
close to factory quality without factory gear.

Better get a good ball mill if you care about quality. Homemade one won't be as good.

Where do you live?
>>
>>33343227
Ahmed would make TATP.
>>
>>33344965
>Impacts can still set off blackpoder.
Black powder is not very impact sensitive. 2kg of mass dropped from about 1m would be the bare minimum to set it off.

>There is a reason why powder mills used lead balls and were built away from other structures
Yeah, because lead doesn't make sparks.
>>
>>33341594
Fishing wieghts
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.