[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Cabellas a good place to look for and purchase guns? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_2703.jpg (60KB, 356x232px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2703.jpg
60KB, 356x232px
So is Cabellas a good place to look for and purchase guns? I've never bought from a big chain store that sells firearms, just small mom and pop type places.
I was looking for a Ruger 10/22 and they have alright prices for them, I just want to know if I should be weary of Cabellas or Bass Pro Shop and their selection of firearms. They have that gun library which at mine has some expensive surplus stuff which is also interesting I guess.

General gunstore thread I guess too.
>>
>>33336334
Over priced and shitty employees. Argued with some guy about 8mm mauser for an hour; he kept telling me I was thinking of 9mm luger. Dude was like 60 years old too what the fuck man.
>>
look: yes, purchase: no
they charge more than local gun shops
>>
>>33336334
For a low end mass produced gun like the 10/22, its perfectly fine. Prices will be about on par with online. Its the used and or expensive stuff you have to research. Sometimes a great used bargain can be found there but you have to know what youre looking at
>>
>>33336343
Former cabelas employee and more or less this. Overpriced guns, good selection of ammo though. Employees are hit or miss on knowledge.
>>
File: Revolver.jpg (58KB, 813x468px) Image search: [Google]
Revolver.jpg
58KB, 813x468px
>>33336334
As others have said, if you just want to look at guns then it is fine. Purchasing firearms is not such a good idea.

When looking for black powder I had a salesperson try to sell me modern smokeless powder. I finally found what I was looking for and when I was checking out the two cashiers kept telling me that my cheap pistols were going to blow up in my hands. Yet they sell the same gun, pic related.

They were selling a revolver for $2k due to the fact it was made it the 1800's and had ivory grips. The end of the barrel was belled out, the nickel finish was flaking off, and it had a manufactured date of 1976 stamped onto it.

I could keep going on with more bullshit but I think you get the idea; the sales people there don't know shit and it can be dangerous to listen to them.
>>
>>33336343
Yeah they always make me feel
Uncomfortable looking at the guns. Like they are waiting to say something snarky or yell at you for looking it over and not just buying a 500+ overpriced weapon.
>>
RARELY you might find a good deal on the gun library rack. There was the anon last year who scored a Daewoo for $500.

I, myself found a matching Tula SKS for $410 (Canadians pls go)
Otherwise, it's really just a place to finger fuck the biggest variety of guns before making your purchase online or LGS.
>>
Unless they have a really good sale going on Id pass on buying guns there. Got a nano on clearance with some free extras for 300 after tax and a Sig 220 with night sights and threaded barrel for 750ish
>>
Sometimes the sales can get good, but it's rare. Most of the time they're selling at or near MSRP.

Every once in a while they have good prices on ammo, and their selection of ammo is actually pretty diverse, better than most LGS in fact.
>>
>>33336560
This. I overpayed for a rifle I REALLY wanted and could only find there; and the guy who was doing the ncis background check and cashing me out was acting like it was the biggest inconvenience in the fucking world. It was like halfway through and I just stood up and walked out.
>make me feel like im wasting your time
>its your job to sell me firearms
So fucking insulting.
>>
File: 20170309_151022.jpg (4MB, 3771x2121px) Image search: [Google]
20170309_151022.jpg
4MB, 3771x2121px
>>33336334

I've only bought one there because it was on sale for a decent price (pic related, Springfield Range Officer .45). Other than that, I wouldn't buy guns there.
>>
>>33336344
>they charge more than local gun shops
not always true, they had a "Cabelas Exclusive" p320 RX for 799. everyone else in the area is selling them for 870 or more. only problem was, it wasn't a black nitride slide, it was stainless. I passed.
>>
I found a pristine artillery luger with matching stock, two stick mags and a snail drum for 3k there once.
>>
>>33336582
I got a FR8 for 236, sold it later for $400.
>>
>>33336334
I buy ammo there, because it's the only place in town that stocks food for muh slavshit. The gun counter and library clerks are all raging dickbag said, though. I'll never buy a firearm from them.
>>
About a year and a half ago was in the market for a CZ-75 and for whatever reason Cabela's never seemed to have them.

Asked the female gun counter clerk if they had any CZ's and she said "nope, they're banned." I said "the CZ-75B?" And she said "nope they are banned. We can't sell them anymore."

I was confused as fuck and asked "uh, are you sure about that?" And she goes "yeah they banned all of them so you won't find them anywhere in the US."

Wasn't worth my time, left promptly and bought a new 75B with 2 mags for just over $500 OTD from a local small dealer. Still enjoying my "banned" gun.
>>
Also their store ammo brand Herter's is literally just repackaged Tulammo. They don't even try to hide it, the headstamps are still on the casings.
>>
I actually just got a job at cabela at the NICS counter. I know how shitty retail is, and I'm expecting this to be a whole lot worse. I've seen the fudds that come in, as well as the people who don't know anything about guns or the buying process. What can I do though, it's the only job that I got an interview for after months of looking and living off savings.

I've worked some really shit retail job before though, so who knows, this actually might be better.

>>33337600
There's really nothing wrong with this. A whole lot of brands do the same. Hell, some hornady ammo is just PPU.
>>
>>33336334
I don't buy guns from them, only ammo. Catch them on the holidays and they do 0$ or 5$ shipping on orders more than a hundred.
>>
>>33337219
I got mine for like $650 after taxes. Your whole town is fucking you, dude.
>>
>>33337742

>I actually just got a job at cabela at the NICS counter.

Anything to that rumor they fax the 4473s to the FBI?
>>
>>33337742

I still buy it if it's cheap/on sale, just pointing out that you're getting Tulammo (bimetal core) with a different name.
>>
>>33336334
On occasion you can find a good deal there on used stuff or milsurp. Just not very often though.
>>
>>33337849
I don't know about that. I was just offered the position a few days ago and currently waiting on drug screening and back ground check. Maybe the former cabela guy in the thread can answer.

Maybe someone was confused about the requirement for border state reporting with blanket store policy and the rumors just went from there. I'll find out soon enough though.
>>
>>33337600
Some of the herters shit was made by Wolf, not Tulammo, but lately I've been seeing it say made by S&B
>>
>>33336334
Any big box store like that is gonna have great slection but shit prices.
>>
>>33337849
I worked at one in MI, the only thing we had to fax was the 3310.4
>>
>>33336334
Cabelas' pricing is all over the place. It's good if you are an educated consumer because sometimes the prices on their used guns are pretty good and rarely their new guns will go on sale for a pretty good price. However, a lot of their new and used guns are priced way over market price and will only sell to either a sucker or to a smart person who haggles the price down to normal.
>>
>>33337586
>I was confused as fuck and asked "uh, are you sure about that?" And she goes "yeah they banned all of them so you won't find them anywhere in the US."
>
>Wasn't worth my time, left promptly

I don't understand why you guys never argue with these troglodytes.

>It's banned, sir.
>No, it isn't banned. I see them for sale all the time from other stores.
Gee, was that so hard?
>>
>>33337600
>>33337931

Herter's pistol ammo is made by S&B. The rifle ammo is what you're referring to as being made by Tula or Wolf.
>>
>>33338070
If someone is lying that boldly to you, or even that ignorant, they aren't worth talking to. It'll be an uphill battle for any purchase besides what her boss tells her they need to sell because they have too many.
>>
>>33338129
If someone is lying and knows they're lying to you, and you don't tell them to go fuck themselves, then you just did everybody else who walks into that store a disservice by letting the salesman bully you into leaving. Stand up to shitheads like that, man. What the fuck.
>>
>>33338089
What about the shot shells? Mine say made in Italy.
>>
>>33336334
NEVER
BUY
IN
STORE

N
EVER
V
EVER
R
>>
>>33338175
Fiocchi.
>>
>>33338149

>bully you into leaving
>salesman

pick one
>>
>>33338184
So they're good?
>>
>>33338192
Well, that's what happened. He talked to the salesman, she lied to him, he got "confused," and left. Don't nitpick with me because the story reads like it's straight out of a high school hallway.
>>
>>33338149
That isn't arguing, then. Yeah, either cuss them out or walk away, but arguing would be a waste of energy.
>>
File: 1489238630430.gif (3MB, 315x236px) Image search: [Google]
1489238630430.gif
3MB, 315x236px
>Be commiefornian
>mfw the first time I walked into a Cabellas in Nevada

I don't give a shit about prices. I'm jealous.
>>
>>33338216

I'm just saying any self respecting salesman would've tried to foist a glock down his throat if that's what they were selling, not force him to leave because they didn't carry anything he wanted
>>
>>33338246
Again, STOP ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT IT.
>>
File: tumblr_m1ixehWqSK1r4jjpw.png (333KB, 357x346px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1ixehWqSK1r4jjpw.png
333KB, 357x346px
>>33338265
>>
>>33338244
cabela is not all that different than bass pro. bass pro just has more fishing stuff, while cabela more hunting stuff. I sure hope bass pro buying out cabela doesn't happen though. I don't want reloading shit to be even more expensive. Cabela has some decently priced stuff sometimes.

I honestly was disappointed with both the first time I went into them. I liked scheels though, mostly becuase it had a fucking ferris wheel in the store as well as the shooting arcade.
>>
>>33336334
big box/change stores like this are nice to view a lot of different products, but they're about the same price as any good LGS

do your homework before you drop any money, you'll know a good deal when you see it
>>
>>33338312
The problem with having an amusement park in a hunting/guns/outdoors store is all the fucking women and little children it attracts. They use it like a fucking parttime daycare. I went into one in the middle of a weekday not too long ago and the ONLY people in the store besides me were the fucking soccermoms and toddlers running around.

When I went to the registers, I found them all unmanned so I waited at the closest one I saw. I could sense one of the soccermoms behind me with her half dozen gremlins in tow getting antsy and I saw an employee (also a woman) coming out toward a DIFFERENT register that no one was waiting at - why the fuck she didn't come to the register with the line, I won't understand. I had to basically race the fucking soccermom to that register as the employee was walking for it just so she didn't cut in front of me. Why are women such savages?
>>
>>33338391
I see a lot of children in sporting stores in general; dicks, big 5, bass pro, sports authority when they were still around. The only one that I don't see a lot of children in is cabela, although I usually go to cabela when they open, so the only people in the store are retired fudds.

I only went to scheels once though, and I went with a lot of people, so I was in the tourist mind set.
>>
Okay so Cabellas sells their 10/22 for $269.99. Is that an alright price? I'm new to figuring how what's a fair deal on a gun, and I'm having trouble figuring how where to find that average at. I got told like 200-300 was fine for one, but I don't wanna get jewed out if they really go for like 150-250 or something.
>>
>>33338430
Depends. How much do you have in your savings account?
>>
>>33338443
Oh I have, as of now, 1600. I just put a down payment on a car for $3000 so it's not like I'm "saving" for anything. I got my bills payed and this is just fun money at this point.
>>
>>33338430
That's pretty much what most places go for. Wait for a sale or something if you aren't in a rush, or just buy a used one for under 200. Chances are you'll slowly change everything out anyway.
>>
>>33338456
So the real question is, why aren't you finding a place with even more expensive prices than Cabelas so you can overpay by even more on a 10/22 without doing any research into how much they sell for? I hear there's a retailer that sells them on Gunsamerica.com for only $999.
>>
>>33338472
Well I've done some research into them, and I see an average price of about 270 for one. I see a good 200-300 range for these weapons, and depending on if it's semi-auto or bolt action. I've looked into it, I just wanted a an idea.
Is just looking around at different places and finding an average for what the gun is being sold for, a usual way you guys tend to find pricing?
>>
File: 1489420151511.jpg (111KB, 387x521px) Image search: [Google]
1489420151511.jpg
111KB, 387x521px
>>33338497
>depending on if [a 10/22] is semi-auto or bolt action
>"I've done some research into them."

Keep researching.
>>
>>33338522
So how should I go about researching them? I'm really just trying to figure this out so I don't have to look like an ass on this Mongolian quilt making forum.
>>
>>33338563
Well for starters, Googling a picture of "Ruger 10/22" should immediately tell you that they are not bolt action rifles.
>>
>>33338563

You don't need to research them. Just go into your local Bass Pro Shops and buy whatever gun your $1600 can get you that looks coolest.
>>
>>33338563
I'll never stop smoking
>>
>>33338575
I understand this. I have shot and held one. There's the Rimfire bolt-action 10/22 right? I know it's not the same as the semi-auto one, and a different gun, but it's basically the same thing in a way
>>
>>33338425
>Big 5
>Dick's
>Sports Authority

To be fair all of these sell (or used to sell) team sports equipment and/or shoes, so there is a legitimate reason for soccer moms bringing their herd there.
>>
>>33338592
This is why you are not figuring out what 10/22's are supposed to sell for.
>>
>>33336334
I guess the store near me is just unusually good. I have bought from Cabela's, good prices on sales, excellent counter service, no regrets. The other gun stores in the area were sneering assholes, but Cabela's was top quality service. The only time I had an issue was a Pietta that wouldn't cycle. Cabela's took it back, full refund. Walked out with a Ruger that works like a charm. Ymmv
>>
Cabelas seems to exclusively employ retards that don't know shit about gunfagging. Usually this is not going to work to your benefit but every once in a while you might find a gem. A
/k/ommando once scored a Daewoo k2 for 700 bucks.

I have also heard stories of surplus fags finding hidden surplus gems hidden in their over priced garbage. But these stories are likely legend.
>>
File: IMGP1350.jpg (198KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1350.jpg
198KB, 1600x1067px
>>33338802
You can definitely find good deals at Cabelas, but you need to be going into the place basically every other day to keep an eye out for them. I'm convinced that they throw in the good deals just to get the people who actually know the values of guns into the door.
>>
>>33338606
Thanks for the help buddy.
>>
>>33337934
Academy sells all their guns and ammo at cost.
>>
File: the texas life.jpg (62KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
the texas life.jpg
62KB, 426x364px
>>33336334
>So is Cabellas a good place to look for and purchase guns?

Yes, you just have to know where to look. Especially in the used guns section.

My little brother found a nearly immaculate 30-06 Browning BBR with a ~$200 Zeiss scope mounted on it for just $600. Best deal he’s ever gotten.

Sometimes they just don’t know what to price them.

He also got a decent Bushmaster AR package a few years back for $550, I think.
>>
>>33339025
$200 before tax is what you should be looking for $260 is too much for a 10/22. And a 10/22 is only Simi auto not bolt action you're thinking of another gun
>>
>>33336334

They can be pretty good, make sure to swing through the Bargain Cave. Got a Surefire Light with remote for like 95 bucks.
>>
>>33336689
I did that over a drier at HomeDespot. Fuck chain store pleb tier employees.

Best feeling in the world, pulling your card out of the machine and marching out with them behind you going "sir? Sir? SIR? WAIT!"

fuck you bitch. You did everything you could to convince me to not buy appliances here. I'm retarded for even considering it.
>>
>>33336334
>I was looking for a 10/22...

I was just in your situation last week. Cabelas/Dicks/Gander had new 10/22s for $259, so I said fuck it and went to Academy and got a new 10/22 Carbine for $209, plus a free top rail.

I've found Academy gun/ammo prices can be decent, but there selection is tiny and accessories/mags are way over priced. Meanwhile Cabelas is stupidly over priced on guns but has a huge selection and low prices on ammo (got ~27 cents per round for decent .40 FMJ the other day)
>>
>>33337600
The 9mm brass herters I think is either fiocchi or s&b.

I wish they still carried it, but their x39 soft point was essentially silver bear.
>>
>>33336334
What kind of 10/22 are you looking for?
Takedown? Bull Barrel? "Tactical"?
$200 for a basic bitch 10/22 is good.
>>33338497
>bolt-action 10/22
I think you maybe referring to a Ruger American in .22lr ≠ 10/22
>>
File: PWS-T3_HogueStock[1].jpg (361KB, 2908x733px) Image search: [Google]
PWS-T3_HogueStock[1].jpg
361KB, 2908x733px
>bolt action 10/22
>>
>>33337849
NICS is run by the FBI, when the FFL accesses or calls to check your data the FBI knows.
>>
>>33336493
>it was made it the 1800's and had ivory grips. The end of the barrel was belled out, the nickel finish was flaking off, and it had a manufactured date of 1976 stamped onto it.

I'm reminded of being in Greece once and having some souvenir-hawker offer me some ancient coins guaranteed to have been around in Athens at the time of Socrates, which you could tell because they had a date of "415 BC" stamped on them.
>>
>>33338430
the Dick's near me sells 'em for 220
199 if they have a sale
>>
>>33336334
>gen3 glock 19 is $550 before tax on cabelas website
>don't know the in-store prices
>$500 on lgs website
>walk into lgs, counter guy says "$590, our price is that good"

I just don't fucking know anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33337600
What the fuck are you talking about? It's all made by S&B.
>>
Current Gun Counter employee here. I'll answer some questions you guys have, but due to OPSEC I won't be able to answer certain questions.
>>
Depends the location and day, buddy of mine picked a crossfire mk1 for 800. Mostly you'll just find nuggets on the used rack and overpriced shit in the gun library.
>>
>>33337586
>Asked the female gun counter clerk
well there's your problem. the women that work the gun counter don't know shit
>in Cabelas looking at the hand guns
>some dude is talking to female sales clerk
>they are having a bit of back and forth
>he points at a P320 RX and asks about it
>she goes "Oh yea, that one has a laser on it"
>laser
>but that's not how a red dot works
didn't even try to correcter her, I just walked away
>>
>>33336334
I had some old fudd asshole tell me that I couldnt buy a black powder revolver because I wasn't 21. He wouldn't even hear it, even though I'd called up there to make sure I could, and researched online. Luckily I got a hold of someone else who said that guy was a retard and sold me a nice one that was on sale. I was fucking raging.
>>
>>33341949
Herters is fucking trash

I bought some of their 7.62x54R and it refused to feed in my mosin. I had to load it one round at a time.
>>
>>33342482
I had a few boxes of it one time and it did fine in my Mosin. Is it made by several different companies? Maybe you got one from a shit company, or maybe you just got a bad batch. Or maybe I just got lucky, fuck if i know.
>>
>>33336334
Sometimes you can get lucky with big box stores. I got lucky and Dick's was the cheapest option by around 100$ when I bought a gun from them. So go there to look but don't be disappointed if you don't find a good deal. If you do you got lucky.
>>
>>33336334
If anyone working there is older than you, be prepared to be talked down to.
At best they'll just be vaguely condescending and treat anything they personally don't know about as some newfangled thing the kids are talking about.
At worst, they are the sole dispensary of the gospel of god according to guns, and woe betide anyone who dares challenge them in their own castle.
>>
>>33336343
Old gun guys are pointless to talk to. They think they know everything.
>>
>>33342482
Was it soft point? Cause those won't feed as well as FMJ.
>>
>>33342719
The same is true of any other kind of "old guy into a hobby."

It's always annoying getting into a conversation with some old car guy and he starts spewing some nonsense hot rod lore that was disproven in 1970.
>>
>>33336334

There stuff is usually over priced, even their used guns. Like a used stock M&P sport 2 was almost 1k there. Most of their glocks are like around 700.
>>
File: 20170304_150033.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170304_150033.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>33336334
every now and then you'll find a good deal in the used gun section
>>
>>33343157
That is a good deal.
>>
>>33343266
I hopped on it as fast as I could. Even if the rifle is fucked for some reason, Henry has GOAT customer service
>>
>>33342045
Im also a gun counter outfitter but in canukistan. I wonder sometimes how many idiots the us counters get to deal with. Not that us folks are more prone to retardation but just the fact that there is so much more traffic through their stores.
>>
>>33343343
Hope it serves you well!

I'm still loving mine
>>
File: IMG_20160416_133613918.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160416_133613918.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
Best deal I ever saw at Cabela's. No, that's not a typo on the tag.
>>
>>33341949
The pistol ammo is made by S&B. Shotgun ammo is made by Fiocchi. Rifle ammo is made by Russians. We've been over this.
>>
>>33336344
Sometimes they are OK, atleast the gun library can be, there was a keltec sub2k in mine for $250. There was also the anon on here that found a Daewoo dr200/k2 for 5 or 600.
>>
>>33336334
Their gun library pricing is absolutely absurd.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33344533
Can confirm.
>>
>>33336334
I won't. They are quick to pull stuff off the shelves, like the attempted AR ban. Even though no law was passed. Fuck em, I support my local gun shops.
>>
>>33348410
That was dicks and academy.
>>
>>33344533
See>>33341949
>>
>>33344533
>Rifle ammo is made by Russians

Do we know which? My friend assures me his spam can of Herters' 7.62x39 is gud to go.
>>
>>33348425
Add Wal-Mart to that list to.
>>
File: Warface.jpg (62KB, 600x663px) Image search: [Google]
Warface.jpg
62KB, 600x663px
>>33338265
YOU'RE SO AUTISTIC SENPAI, KYS
>>
>>33348621
Herters x39 is basically tula, so it's fine. The soft point is zinc plated, even better.
>>
>>33338592
Kek. Its ok man. Juat hang around long enough and you will learn.
But still....

Kek
>>
File: 1475851290042.jpg (20KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
1475851290042.jpg
20KB, 480x451px
>>33336400
>10/22
>low end
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.