[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me how stupid it is to want a old >want either a Charleville

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: charleville1.jpg (18KB, 1000x230px) Image search: [Google]
charleville1.jpg
18KB, 1000x230px
Tell me how stupid it is to want a old

>want either a Charleville Musket or a 1853 enfield
>I know I would never fucking shoot it, maybe one outing a year
>want one because of muh history and because its fuck huge
>>
File: Flint1.jpg (330KB, 1000x498px) Image search: [Google]
Flint1.jpg
330KB, 1000x498px
It's only dumb if you don't end up liking it.
>>
File: SteyrM95.jpg (11KB, 600x195px) Image search: [Google]
SteyrM95.jpg
11KB, 600x195px
>>33319553
I want a bolt-action rifle built in the 1890s, with ammo that costs 1.30$ a round.
I don't even know why I want it, but by god am I going to try and get one.

If you want to get a musket, go for it.
>>
>>33319712
>can shoot 5 shots in 10 seconds

>>33319553
can shoot 5 shots in 5 minutes and must be cleaned after 10 shots due to fouling

blackpowders are neat, but not worth it
>>
File: Saber and Shot.jpg (203KB, 949x464px) Image search: [Google]
Saber and Shot.jpg
203KB, 949x464px
>>33319712
>blackpowders are neat, but not worth it
I sure find them worth it.

Cheaper to shoot too. Not everything is a race to burn 1000 rounds.
>>
>>33319768
Whoops, i misquoted.

Meant for >>33319732
>>
>>33319768
cant tell if spiller and burr, or contemporary brassframe 1851 from possibly Pietta.....
>>
>>33319768
>>33319786
I get that but I am speaking from experience. I have a Martini Henry that I have ALWAYS wanted to get. I get it, spend another couple hundred in brass, powder, dies, and molds and its just so much trouble I only shoot it maybe 20-50 times a year, and thats all in the same outing.
>>
>>33319863
Nah, just a cheapshit 51 navy. bought it years ago when i first got into black powder. Got it for 100 bucks. wasn't going to sink uch more into something i may not have liked.

I plan on getting another one soonish. but i kinda spent the money i was going to put forword for one on a '93 mauser.

>>33319868
>bought a gun who's ammo is only reasonably priced with reloading
Next you're going to tell me buying a bolt action isn't worth it cause you got one chambered in .416 rigby.
>>
>>33319553
Your not stupid. Ive covered all the bases early on because i just really liked guns. Now the magic has settled to a tolerable level and i want a 76' Charleville flintlock as well and maybe a Smith Cavalry Carbine at some point. I own3 cap and ball revolvers and thyre always fun to shoot in the woods. I cant see a need anymore apart form the odd deal or two private party every year. Those always seem to fall out of my kayak though. which is why i keep buying them.

TL;DR do it you wont be dissapointed. not everythings about how much lead you can throw down range in one magazine.
>>
>>33319927
same anon here. Purchased a new .36 cal colt navy "pietta repro" from the cabelas site not 6 months ago. its my second one now, dont worry too much about their quality. they shoot strait and as reliable as any other out the box C&B. Difference is they expect it to get used i think which is why they sell them cheapish vs other manufacturers. my older one is 3 years now and it goes on regular hikes in the back of my ruck for funzies.
>>
>>33319712
my lgs has one of those for sale for $250 sadly it is pretty rusty
>>
>>33319927
Reloading for a BP musket will be just as much of a pain in the ass as the MH.

>making the cartridge cases
>casting the bullets
>cleaning all the fucking fouling
>>
>>33319553
Blackpowder is awesome. I'm getting back into it asap. Love the musket choice.

Do not use pyrodex. Clean the fuck out of everything as soon as you're done shooting. Prime that pan son.
>>
File: ATF pls no.jpg (159KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
ATF pls no.jpg
159KB, 960x540px
>>33320015
>making the cartidge cases
What? paper cartridges? it's as easy as rolling paper on a dowel and pouring the contents in. but this isn't even required. you can just load the components into the gun individually.

>casting the bullets
Not required as it is for a martini henry. Of course, i cast, but i only cast because it's fun. not because it's the only way to shoot the gun for less then 100 bucks like it is trying to buy .577. I also make my own powder, but that's also because i find it fun.

a can of pyrodex and 50 roundballs costs 15 bucks online. You only get as invested as you want to with a muzzleloader.

>cleaning all the fucking fouling
Hot water and soap, for a deep clean. on the range you only need to do a few dry patches to keep going.

This is more about how -you- don't enjoy black powder. More specifically, how you don't like reloading for the martini henry. a gun nobody no longer makes commercial ammo for. Shoulda bought a cartridge gun in 45-70, or 45 colt if you wanted to step your toes in and figure out if you enjoyed it or not.
>>
>>33320201
>pyrodex

Opinion instantly discarded
>>
>>33320255
Pyrodex is fine you cuck. It's just formulated to be based on the 1812 US powder. same as GOEX.

All of the substitutes are dirtier then real black powder. but i was only mentioning it to show that you dont' need to put 100 bucks into a range trip.

Go outside and sit in timeout, billy.
>>
>>33319553
I own and Armisport repo 1853 Enfield. It is fun to shoot. Just make sure you wire brush out the barrel every few shots or you could get your minie ball stuck in the fouling halfway down. That is not fun.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.