[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/, I want to buy a good gun sometime this week or maybe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

So /k/, I want to buy a good gun sometime this week or maybe tomorrow. What do you recommend me as my first weapon?

Thinking on buying a 1911 variant or a good 556 rifle? You can pretty much recommend me anything. Which brand delivers good quality?

Wish to spend around $700-$1000. Could be less or more, quality is important. What weapon made you happy on buying?
>>
>>33305047
HK USP in either 9mm or 45acp.
>>
>>33305047
You need to figure out what the weapons is for.

Do you want a hunting rifle? If so, are you will to buy a quality scope, which will cost at least $500. If yes, then I suggest a Tikka in 243 or 260 with a Swarovski scope. You can't beat that Tikka accuracy. Winchester model 70 is good if you don't mind getting a replacement trigger from Timney.

If you want a hunting rifle and cannot afford a scope, get a 30-30 with iron sights. The Winchester model 94 short rifle is the gold standard for those. Henry is not bad either.

Do you want a pistol for carry? If so, I recommend a CZ-75 or 1911. If you get a 1911, DO NOT GET ONE WITH A FIRING PIN BLOCK. See the video below.

Do you want a gun for home defense? If so, get a pump action 20 gauge shotgun.

Do you want a plinking/varmint rifle? If so, get a cheap 22 LR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chEOAb0C2Is
>>
In that price range Colt 1911. Any one that strikes your fancy and fits the budget.
>>
A brand new blued Hi-power.
>>
Damn it's really irritating because I can't remember who was doing it, if they are at all anymore right now, but you could get a decent bargin AR-15 and handgun combo deal from one of the big names. Keep wanting to say Palmetto, but that could be wrong.

I'd suggest really scouring the deals and finding yourself a compact CCable gun and a beginners AR.
>>
>>33307361
That's a great choice, bu they're a little pricey. I think they'd be at the upper limit of OP's price range.
>>
>>33307251
>unironically recommending a Series 70 over a Series 80 for carry

Enjoy having your gun go off if you drop it or the back of the hammer bumps against a hard surface.
>>
>>33305047
>I want to buy a good gun
Well then 1911s are out
>>
>>33307416
$999.99
>>
>>33307487
Please eat a dick, sir.
>>
>>33307070

This
>>
>>33307479
That's horseshit.
>>
>>33305047
I want an Auto Ordnance 1911, and I'll replace all the internals with something better if it turns out awful.

How good of an idea is this?

I live in Commiefornia and can't get many 1911 models, and the Auto-Ordnance is the only one that is closest to GI model.
>>
>>33307653
Is it? Why is it that every modern semi-automatic handgun, whether it has a positive safety (92FS) or not (Glock), has a firing pin block? Do you think those guns are somehow more effective or better for carry if the firing pin block in them is disabled?
>>
File: image.png (84KB, 245x316px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
84KB, 245x316px
>>33307487
Disregarded
>>
>>33308267
Guns with FP blocks are fine. But a properly functioning 1911 isn't going to go off if you bump the hammer on a table or just drop it on the ground.
>>
>>33305047

Build a PSA AR for >$500 and pick up a RIA Mil Spec 1911 for $450.

You can gradually upgrade the AR if you enjoy the platform, and after a few hundred (or thousand) rounds through the .45, find a decent armorer to match the frame and slide, enlarge the ejection port, bevel the magazine well, and polish the feed ramp.

You'll always get your money back on those two items, and they're both great entry-level guns.
>>
File: fn fal.jpg (223KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fn fal.jpg
223KB, 1024x768px
>>33305047
You can get brand new, no frills ARs at gun shows for $600. Get yourself an FAL if you wanna be a real man. They start at around $1k. .308 is way more fun to shoot.
>>
>>33308953
I read OP's "good" in a more idiomatic way instead of the literal sense. His price range seemed to indicate that he was speaking with the former usage in mind.

Your suggestions certaily qualify as "good" in the sense that they aren't bad. But, they aren't "good" if one is seeking something superior to the common, base, and commodity grade item without venturing too far into the realm of diminishing returns that the very expensive luxury grade items inhabit.

Also, why would one spend the money to customize a base model RIA? In the end you will have a low grade 1911 that has been Bubba'd.
>>
>>33305047
Buy a smith & wesson M&P sport AR15. Then you'll have enough money to buy ammo and have fun with it.
>>
>>33309781
>Also, why would one spend the money to customize a base model RIA?

While the upgrades I mentioned aren't really "customizing," they will make an excellent shooter, and something that one might want to keep. Perhaps I didn't explain rationale behind my recommendations:

A new shooter should choose inexpensive but good foundation firearms, like the RIA .45 and a PSA AR mentioned, but a 10/22 and a Mossberg 500 would be good examples as well. If shooting doesn't work out as a hobby, well you can always sell that type of gear for pretty much what you paid for it. On the other hand, if shooting becomes the hobby that most of us have, you can upgrade all the examples mentioned, and they will become "keepers" that are far more valuable to you than bluebook prices.

I only recommended the RIA after shooting a friend's recent purchase. It was tighter and shot better than recent Colts, and was far better than military slurp due to better modern steel, CNC machining, QC and measuring techniques.

RIA might not ever be a collector's item, but they're good shooter's, cheap, and worthy of upgrades as an investment.
>>
>>33307479
Not a problem unless you're in the habit of throwing the damn thing off a roof. Even then, it would have to land on the muzzle to do anything, which would cause the bullet to go into the ground.
>>
Take this as you will, but I spent $430 on a Rock Island GI 1911 and took it out today. Fed every round I fed it, no hiccups at all. 230 gr FMJ and 230 grain Jacketed Hollow Point +P. It was a great time and the pistol was pretty accurate for what you would expect to do with a pistol. 10/10 gun, now sleeps next to me on my night stand.

Not planning to shoot much +P through my pistol, btw, very much "make sure it runs in your gun and then stash it" type ammo.
>>
>>33311419

It's milspec by 1911 standards, but made with modern tolerances and materials. Good choice.
>>
>>33305047
>Rifle
Ruger AR-556 or S&W M&P sport 15
>Pistol
Sig P320
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.