[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I don't know what kind of gun oils you guys use, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: p_100015932_1.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
p_100015932_1.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
So I don't know what kind of gun oils you guys use, but what I've been using is basically a "home brew" stuff that works out pretty good. The parts on the guns I lost in that tragic boating accident slide along as if they're on glass with absolutely no resistance whatsoever. It resists corrosion, and carbon build up, and compared to most gun oils, it's cheap. It's pretty easy to make too, I got the recipe off of a Magazine Article.

First you'll need a 5 Quart oil jug. So do an oil change on your car and save the jug. No need to clean it out as long as there's only clean oil in it.

Dump in the following:
1 Quart of Oil (I use HD30 non detergent oil, I've heard of people using 10W30 or whatever. As long as it's conventional.)
1 Quart of Transmission Fluid (I used cheap Dex/Merc stuff)
1 Pint of Marvel Mystery Oil
1 Pint of STP oil treatment (It might help to dump about half of this in, and then put some of the Marvel Mystery oil in to help loosen it up so it pours in easier)
2-4 ounces of Hoppes #9

For application I just use an old vape bottle. Since Vape juice is water soluble I just washed it out with water and let it dry out over night. The top is a squirt nozzle which makes putting the oil on really easy.
>>
File: whatelse.jpg (106KB, 440x660px) Image search: [Google]
whatelse.jpg
106KB, 440x660px
>>
So a dirty oil
A detergent oil
Another detergent oil
A meme
And then an irrelevantly small amount of oil

Okay buddy
>>
>>33290870
I make and use Ed's Red myself. Equal parts kerosene, mineral spirits, transmission fluid, and acetone. I also put some anhydrous lanolin oil in it which gives it better lubrication properties and makes it last longer.
>>
>>33291045
Hey, it works for me, and it works really well.

>>33291080
Yeah, somebody else called this "Ed's Red" but I think it's slightly different since you're using different ingredients. Either way though, both work really well.
>>
>>33291080
http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Article on Ed's Red

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/ar-15/ar-lube-advice-from-the-experts/

Where I found the recipe I'm using by George McCleary
>>
File: 71FVqRP96-L._SL1148_.jpg (244KB, 825x1148px) Image search: [Google]
71FVqRP96-L._SL1148_.jpg
244KB, 825x1148px
I just spray everything down with ballistol, wipe and run a bore snake through it.
>>
>>33290870
I just use chainsaw oil and It holds up well
I've heard of people using wheel bearing grease
>>
>>33291295
Wheel bearing grease probably works really well on AK's
>>
>>33291080
Ed's Red is 100% a cleaning solvent. It's about as lubricious as Hoppes.
>>
>>33290975
WD40 is not a lubricant or a preservative
>>
>>33290870
That's a lot of work. Aerosol chain lube does nearly all that you would want a gun oil to do.
I like the dupont teflon stuff from walmart.
>>
File: Eezox.jpg (63KB, 500x409px) Image search: [Google]
Eezox.jpg
63KB, 500x409px
I use Eezox. It dries out and seems to attract less grime. No rust problems as well.
>>
>>33290870
Is there some sort of benefit to making your own gun oil that Is lost when purchasing a 10 dollar bottle of CLP? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like you're on some next level snowflake shit.
>>
File: CraftyConsumer.jpg (20KB, 480x547px) Image search: [Google]
CraftyConsumer.jpg
20KB, 480x547px
I use a mixture of transmission fluid, motor oil, windshield wiper fluid, liberal tears and the blood of a goat killed on a night of the full moon. I then have an orthodox priest bless it for alittle bit of corrosion resistance.

After all that, I save $.02 per gallon of lubricant I use. Since a gallon of lube will last you forever, I've so far saved $.02 to put towards more /k/ related fun.
>>
File: GunOilTest.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GunOilTest.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
>>33291861
None whatsoever. Occasionally threads about lubricants come up with mouth breathing penny pinchers yelling about how they've saved a whole dime by using some other type of oil as lube rather than the slightly more per ounce purpose formulated gun oil.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely snake oils (no pun intended) out there, but you really can't go wrong with a simple bottle of clp or some hoppes oil
>>
>>33291861
Nah, I just like that I can spend maybe 20 bucks and get more gun oil than I can possibly use, and sell some to my buddies for like 5 bucks for a 30ml bottle.
>>
I've seen that recipe so many times and it always reminds me of old guys that still think old Chevy camel hump heads are hot shit. I'm sure it was cool for the first gut that had a bunch of the shit just laying around and tossed together a gallon of it, but even with recreational cleaning and applying it to bike chains,sliding doors and other bullshit I've never found myself thinking "goddamn all this ballistol/3in1/hoppes is really eating into my finances"
>>
>>33291404
Yeah, and what other product you see in that picture?
>>
>>33291158
Me as well.
>>
>>33295152
I'll do a deep cleaning with a dedicated solvent every now and then but the ease of just spritzing some ballistol and running the snake makes upkeep pretty easy. I shoot shitty steel ammo through my AR and have yet to have a problem.
>>
>not using vegetable oil as a lubricant and a cleaner
>>
>>33290870
I use primarily Ballistol and BreakFree, and Lubriplate for grease.

I'm considering the G96 meme, but it doesn't appear to offer enough of an advantage to warrant the extra cost.
>>
if you really want to use a non gun oil product.
get some machine oil, specifically fishing industry or food processing industry grade oil.
they are designed for lubrication and corrosion resistance in very corrosive enviroments. they wont fuck you up either.
>>
>>33296761
>food processing industry grade oil
>>
I don't have to worry about rust where I'm at so I clean and lube with 10w-30 left over from oil changes. Works well when lightly applied with a paint brush.
>>
>>33296870
you realize that synthetic motor oils are not safe for prolonged skin contact, right?
>>
>>33296893
Toxicology and oncology reports say it's no worse than any other oil.
>>
>>33296893
Hmm. That's just awful. I haven't really been bathing in it or covering the entire outside of my gun so I think I'm good.
>>
>>33290870
"Rural King" 0W20 synthetic.
barring that, "Ballistol".

ATF has all kinds of additives. MMO is GTG though. If you need one, stick with it. The rest is a whole lot of "WTF".

Hoppes bore solvent is just that.
>>
>>33290870
Bruh a can of safari land aerosol clp is like $5, how much fucking money are you actually saving vs inconvenience? I can order a gallon for $100 dollars, which granted is $60 more than a gallon of synthetic motor oil but still that big will last basically forever
>>
>>33296893
Meh, few gun cleaning solvents are.
Par for the course.
>>
>>33296860
nsf h-1 food grade
you can even get halal and kosher oil for your Tavors and khyber pass guns
>>
>>33297032
I use their SFL-0. It's even certified Halal.
>>
>>33291362
>hurr durr grease for sealed bearings must work really well exposed to all kinds of dirt, carbon fouling, gun powder residue, particulate matter etc.

Literal retard
>>
>>33290870
Hoppes to clean.
0w30 that's leftover from when I get my oil changed so its free. Put it in a little 50ml vape container that one of my degenerate friends uses for vaping. Use it on guns, hinges, pretty much anything.
>>
I use ATF cut with a little acetone, maybe 9:1

I love it, it's thin enough to get everywhere
>>
I use white lithium grease for my slide and a miniscule amount of generic brand gun oil for my pins and springs.

I like my guns dry so they don't leave my shirt dirty after concealing them all day. An added bonus is they won't attract residue build up in the harder to reach places inside the frame when shooting.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.