[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the only point of a dissipater sight radius, or am I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: 6289074504_9216db3c07_o.jpg (62KB, 511x421px) Image search: [Google]
6289074504_9216db3c07_o.jpg
62KB, 511x421px
Is the only point of a dissipater sight radius, or am I missing something?
>>
>>33282795
They look rad as fuck

I have an M16A2 clone and an A1 is on my to do list, but an A1 dissipator is so fucking hot
>>
>>33282795
Longer gas system, looks bitching.
>>
sight radius, increased handguard length, and this is from an era where 20 inch barrels were the norm and short barrels were rare. now its the exact opposite where you have to go out of your way to find a 20.
>>
>>33282795
You have to remember that the Colt 605 was the first attempt at an AR carbine, so they made due with what they had by literally cutting down the 601's and 2's they had lying around at first. It was just an attempt to create a more compact rifle for special operation units and there weren't many alternatives that early on.

Today, yes, the only real benefit is sight radius, bar aesthetics.

>>33283805
605's actually had dwell time issues because of the gas length and were fairly unreliable. Most modern dissipators have a carbine or midlength gas system under the handguards.
>>
>>33283894
This. It was the first attempt to chop down the AR. Modern dissipaters are more accurately called mock dissipaters because they ape the aesthetic while using an appropriate gas system for the barrel length.

I've kind of wondered if you could fix the dwell time issue by attaching a suppressor to a dissipater and arrive at something that works itself out, but I don't have the cash to experiment. It would probably just create higher pressure without increasing dwell time and you'd end up with something even worse.
>>
>>33283894
>605's actually had dwell time issues because of the gas length and were fairly unreliable. Most modern dissipators have a carbine or midlength gas system under the handguards.
They still look bitching though.
>>
>>33284054
you fix the dwell time issue by using the correct size gasport. bushmaster and delton both made true rifle length dissapators that were problem free for decades. you could claim middy is more reliable but the true reason for mock dissapators is its easier to make them since you are making midlength barrels anyways and you can keep producing standard profile instead of specialized runs.
>>
File: M16-Silincer.jpg (29KB, 480x422px) Image search: [Google]
M16-Silincer.jpg
29KB, 480x422px
>Is the only point of a dissipater sight radius
In an era when self-loading carbines were still very new and largely untested, and irons were still by far and away the standard method of aiming, yes. So take the rather long M16, cut off the barrel to the FSB, and you have a carbine while sporting the same sight radius as the full-length. Downside; no one really knows what they're doing and the gas port is left completely unmodified and the resulting Model 605 is an unreliable shit heap that quickly proves unpopular and is only ever really issued to snake-eaters who could mitigate the issue via suppressors. All in all a botched first-attempt, but a cool looking one at least.
>>
>>33284151
Drilling out the gas port that close to the muzzle must result in a brief and harsh pressure spike. They were probably reliable by dint of being over gassed.
>>
>>33284190
>605 with a silencer

I didn't know I wanted this. But now I must have it.
>>
>>33284054
swell can be fixed by adding a rifle buttstock or a heavier buffer or change spring combo
>>
so given that the optics these days are pretty advanced and reliable, is there any point in getting a dissi upper if you're going to put an optic on it (other than for looks)?
>>
File: chewy1004[1].jpg (176KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
chewy1004[1].jpg
176KB, 800x600px
>>33282795
>Is it for the extra long sight radius
Yes you are correct, from a time befo optics,

however no one can argue the fact that they are AESTHETIC as fuck

>>33284190
I know the feels bro, getting the parts together now for my own 605 build

>Pic related Mine is similar to one in pic and mine was a CAHP surplus colt HBAR w/ restricted stamps and precinct numbers painted on.

Bretty rare, Colt only made a few hundred for the CAHP, and cut down a HBAR barrel / gas block at the carbine length under the guards. CAHP converted a few with cheap shit commercial collapsing stocks then a few years ago they surplus the whole lot
>>
>>33287453
I just bought one of those CA Highway Patrol HBAR's. I almost got the Dissapator sitting next to it but I wanted the longer barrel. The dissi was still there 3 days ago at the gander mountain in El Paso if anyone is game for it
>>
>>33288167
Gander got that shipload of Bushy Dissipators and have been sitting on them for years, no one wants them for the price.
>>
File: Colt_741[1].jpg (21KB, 800x182px) Image search: [Google]
Colt_741[1].jpg
21KB, 800x182px
>>33288167
>CAHP Colt full length HBARs

Yeah I snagged one of those too on sale from GM a few months back. First thing I did was swap out the FSB with a USGI surplus one to uncuck it, then added a M60 Bipod adapter so I can mount a real Colt NOS Model 741 bipod

>Pic related, feels goodman
>>
>>33288167
Fuck the other day an OH state patrolman brought someone in to my jail and when he popped his trunk I about got erect at the sight of his m16a1
>>
>>33288700
I have a question- I've always wondered, what makes that rifle any different than any other of the colts? I mean, it's just got a bipod on it, right? What qualifies that as a Squad support weapon?
>>
>>33289342
Heavy barrel for full auto firing.
>>
File: 1486232152581m.jpg (111KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1486232152581m.jpg
111KB, 1024x683px
I like mine
>>
File: IMG_1732-1[1].jpg (48KB, 800x331px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1732-1[1].jpg
48KB, 800x331px
>>33289365
This, From what I gather It was this reason why the HBAR was developed, Think if it as the AR equivalent to the RPK.

Colt did make a few A1 bipod mounted HBARs for testing purposes, and later in the 80's they developed the A2 version.

Both the A1 and 741 A2 fired from the closed bolt, and used the standard gas system. both of these designs eventually lost out to the colt LMG, which fired from the open bolt and had a few other features which made it better suited for a SAW.

From what I've seen the rifles did go into small scale production but were not really adopted or had any interest so colt dropped the 741 from production. They then had the idea to remove the Bipod / bipod lug, loose the bayo lug FSB because fuck you... and throw the upper on a semi only receiver for civilian / commercial sales and poof! the Colt Sporter HBAR was born.

Some early production uppers were cool though as some were made with 741 uppers that were on hand and still had the standard FSB and Bipod lugs, and these are rare but out there

Since I got a 741 clone, now I'm itching to build an A1 version with the M14 bipod, and possibly snag one of those LMG uppers to round off the collection.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.