[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't need any comments about me being retarded but when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1481326534384.png (31KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
1481326534384.png
31KB, 300x188px
I don't need any comments about me being retarded but when shooting black powder so you just load the powder, drop in the shot, and lightly push them together or do you first pack together the powder more tightly? If so, how tightly?
>>
look, retard. doing blackpowder takes skill and knowledge or you're going to explode. it's just that simple.

git gud or gtfo. you need to know more than you're going to learn here
>>
>>33272460
Add powder
Add wadding
Insert shot
Compress it all
Continue until all cylinders are full if using a revolver
Add cap
Remove Indian from premisis
>>
File: image.png (154KB, 374x321px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
154KB, 374x321px
>>33274253
>>
>>33272460
i changed my mind. here's how to get the most from your're blackpowder rifle.

first, put your cap on. this'll vary by gun, but it's easy.

next, add your powder charge. personally, i use more than they tell you to, but nothing ventured nothing gained. i use about 450 grains of fffg pyrodex.

now, here's the magic part. put your ball on a patch and use the short starter. then, add ANOTHER ball on its own patch. use the short starter on this one, too.

don't ever use the long ram-rod because by putting the ball farther from yourself, you're putting it closer to the target. this will keep drop off to a minimum. also, since the ball is farther from your face, it'll be safer that way.

I'm just getting started with blackpowder shooting, but it's so much fun. good luck and stay safe.

>>33274320
how'd you get that picture i don't even have a facebook
>>
>>33274510
Kek.
>>
>>33272460
Black powder is literally the easiest way to shoot. My first fun was an 1851 Navy.
Why must you post a thread on /k/ asking us when you can look this up literally anywhere in literally seconds?
>>
>>33272460
For real info follows:

First off you need a load data book. Im assuming by black powder you are referring to pyrodex or some derivative thereof because real black powder isnt very common.

Thing about pyrodex is that it is calculated by VOLUME and black powder is calculated by WEIGHT. You need to get a load data book that lists indexes of the various calibers, powder types, and charge weights.

Another thing to keep in mind with pyrodex loads that say they are black powder equivalent is that they generate the same pressure, but can have very different burn rates. For instance, if you are loading with pellets instead of powder you do not want to pack it so tight that it crushes the pellets otherwise you will increase the burn rate and have a lot higher pressures than the uncrushed pellets would normally have.

Converseley if you are using powder instead of pellets you need to pack it tightly. With powder if you leave a gap it lowers the burn rate which not only effects accuracy and velocity, but also increases the risk of a squib.

People think of black powder guns as "simple" but in reality when you are reloading you are actually RELOADING.

One needs to be very careful that they have 100% correct load data, a good understanding for what the data means, and that they are taking care to apply the same loads every time.

Different projectile types, different powder types, and different grain sizes are all going to have specific loads.

One cannot go "oh, it says 60 grains of black powder so immah load 2 30 grain pyrodex pellets, gee how simple!" Because depending on all these prior factors you can end up grossly over-charging and accidentally build a pipe bomb as you load your gun. (To give you an idea of how overloaded this example 2 30 grain pyrodex pellets = almost 130 grains of regular black powder so in this case you more than double-charged it.)
>>
>>33276838
Basic saftey tips:
1: have accurate load data and understand what it means
2: never cap your gun before you add powder and projectile
3: when packing the projectile keep the muzzle up. Do not look down the bore, have the muzzle pointed towards your chin, or anything else
4: if it squibs keep it pointed downrange for atleast 30 seconds. When removing a squib-load do not point the gun at yourself or anyone else. Do not look down the bore.
5: if you go shooting in the rain or humid weather yer gonna have a bad time
6: if you fire a black powder weapon ALWAYS clean it THOUROUGHLY the same day you fired it. A byproduct of moisture and blackpowder residue (pyrodex to a lesser extent) is small traces of sulphuric acid, that shit will pit your bore and corrode your cap-nipples so fucking bad so fucking fast it aint even funny.
>>
>>33274510
>get the most from you are blackpowder rifle
We upote now?
>>
>>33274510
Kek.

Not tamping the charge could almost stop that 450 grain from blowing up.
>>
>>33276838
>pyrodex is that it is calculated by VOLUME and black powder is calculated by WEIGHT
They're both loaded by volume.
Pyrodex powder is 1:1 volume equivalent with blackpowder. Likewise a 30 grain pyrodex pellet is equivalent to the same 30 grains of blackpowder.
>>
>>33277060
No it isnt, pyrodex has a different burn rate, equivalent is not used correctly with pyrodex. It burns differently than gunpowder under compression, its burn rates for grain sizes are not equal.

You have to do more than measure out the same grain measurements for it to be equivalent. You need to look up which formula you are using and what grain size in a data book and it will tell you how many are equivalent to blackpowder of what grain sizes.

Overcharging isnt as big a deal in muzzleloading rifles as most companies build them to survive double charge, and they are simple enough to not break.

An easy litmus test for overcharging is to look at your percussion caps. If they are shattering it means the over-pressure is blowing them out. Your percussion caps should tulip-out but still stay on the nipple, if they blow into multiple pieces youre overloaded.

Cap and ball revolvers are where ya run into real trouble. You can stretch your frame, cause chainfires, break pieces of the action, etc etc.
>>
>>33272460
1. Powder
2. Put the patch on the bullet
3. Ram the bullet home
4. Compress
5. Cap or Prime pan
6. Cock
7. ???
8. Profit
>>
File: 20170312_001448.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20170312_001448.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
>>33278979
You have no idea of what you are talking about.
BP substitutes are made to be equivalent
>>
>>33279157
Pyrodex is lighter by volume than black powder, and the loading terminology is overlooked. A pyrodex load stated at 30 grains equivalent does not actually weigh 30 grains, its simply as powerful as what 30 grains by weight blackpowder is.

If you measure by volume you are good. If you make the rookie mistake of measuring your loads with a powder scale you will not have equivalent loads.

The simplest way to explain it is to say pyrodex is more powerful pound for pound than black powder, but if measured liter for liter they would be equal.

The difference between using volume measure and weight measure is the difference between correct substitution and over-charging.

Pyrodex is only 1 for 1 equivalent when one converts the weight to volume properly.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.