/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What your guy's opinion on SCA combat? Looks like larping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: images-5.jpg (14KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images-5.jpg
14KB, 275x183px
What your guy's opinion on SCA combat? Looks like larping but with without the fantasy part. I have a friend who's into it but it looks they still use foam and shit. Anybody try it? Is it better to look into HEMA instead?
>>
>>33269575
sca is fucking brutal, if your a manlet or cant risk breakin bones dont play.

im not trying to sound tough this is legit. i wont play because as an aviation mechanic i cant fucking risk breaking my hands or some shit, i did participate for a while tho, if you want to just brutally smash fuckers then this is the sport for you.

yes i was the guy who hit shields too hard and bruised that one faggots bone. shame be onto me. kek
>>
>>33269606
Awsome! Sounds like I'll consider it! But just to be clear what are the weapons are made of? Some sort of hard rubber?
>>
>>33269649

Swords are made of Ratan sticks. Just the spears and axes have foam I believe. The sport is pretty cool, I plan on participating as a non combatant eventually. For now I play belegarth.
>>
SCA is more about having fun with battle formations.

HEMA is about learning actual historical techniques, but it's mostly swords and grappling. There are students that learn quarterstaff (which applies to polearms), but polearms are very difficult to train with because once they get moving and hit, they can fucking hurt.
>>
Amateur-ass HEMAfag here (namely singlestick, I don't have a feder yet so I really can't call myself a longswordsman).
I don't understand SCA, you get mostly realistic plate armor, and then hit one another as if the plate didn't exist to score kills (am I wrong here?), rendering the whole event just an accuse to *look* like a knight and fight with blunts and spend money.

I figure of you really want to do right by history, you grab a Meyer treatise and a Federschwert, or a singlestick and army saber manual and git gud.
>>
>>33270927
SCAfag here.
The point of the armor is to look cool and not break/get broken during the fights.
Hits are based on armor worn during the Battle of Hastings, chain maille with a steel hat, open face. A shot is only good if it would have cut through/broken bone had it been live steel.
>>
File: drivecloser.jpg (73KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
drivecloser.jpg
73KB, 750x600px
>>33270927
Childhood is believing having a swordsmaster's skill is impressive.
Adulthood is knowing what matters most is being able to do your job in the lines.

Being good at 1vs1 is for masturbation. Being good at 300vs300 is for conquering your enemies, as there is no substitute for bravery and ability to do your function in the group without flinching.
>>
>>33269575
No better way to have fun learning to kill with a stick.

Plus "cant get laid in the sca cant get laid at all". They party.
>>
File: fallcrown khf1.jpg (72KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
fallcrown khf1.jpg
72KB, 480x720px
>>33269575
Sup dude

SCA/HEMA/ACL fag here. As long as you remember we're simulating tournament melee and not real combat, you'll have a blast.

>>33269663
>ust the spears and axes have foam I believe.
I prefer hard vulcanized rubber axe, hammer and mace heads.

>>33270171
Yes, but you'd be amazed about how much over the past decade we've been combining the two.

>>33270927
>>33270992
>n't understand SCA, you get mostly realistic plate armor, and then hit one another as if the plate didn't exist to score kills (am I wrong here?)

We fight to the concept of tournament. The same way my armour actually protects me in an HMB/ACL fight where injury and submission with steel weapons, means that a baton will not do anything major. If you can make me feel or even hurt through my padding and steel with a baton, then I take that as a "telling blow" on my honor, that a real sword would have injured me.

Pic related (old helmet though, as I blew the pin on my sallet), I am in the green. I am second generation, as my dad used to fight too.
>>
>>33272662
>Dat pic
Oh jesus fuck you're in my group and I was at that tourney.
>>
>>33269575
HEMA is better. In most places SCA is halfway between HEMA and LARP.

In SCA they usually wear costumes, in HEMA it's usually just pads and protective gear.
>>
>>33274975
How'd the tripfag score?
>>
File: IMG_0958.jpg (142KB, 816x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0958.jpg
142KB, 816x960px
>>33275198
I came into the semifinals, and was a real darkhorse for that particular tournament, which is in general a harder and more aggressive fight than other tournaments.
>>
>>33269575
Maybe you wanna check our euroasian equivalent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyz1eJoSeIY
>>
File: p2.jpg (111KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
p2.jpg
111KB, 528x960px
>>33276835
Its not equivilant. Its the next step up. I fight ACL/HMB.

Its much more expensive equipment wise, much more reliant on training and conditioning, and many times more dangerous.

Pic is most of my rig from two seasons ago (a few parts were ruined or being repaired), minul the maille.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.