[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are SACLOS missiles like the TOW and Fagot screwed? http://

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: syrian_t72_with_sarab-1_aps_1021.jpg (129KB, 1021x580px) Image search: [Google]
syrian_t72_with_sarab-1_aps_1021.jpg
129KB, 1021x580px
Are SACLOS missiles like the TOW and Fagot screwed?

http://defense-update.com/20170301_sarab-aps.html
>>
File: Sarab-2-T721_725.jpg (35KB, 725x417px) Image search: [Google]
Sarab-2-T721_725.jpg
35KB, 725x417px
If the TOW is wire guided, how would the IR/laser noise affect its guidance?
>>
>>33259985
The launcher tracks a missile via an IR beacon in it's tail, the aps confuses the launcher.
>>
>>33259734
No.Attack and countermeasures always trade off in terms of which defeats the other.

Until someone develops a 100% effective way of negating a SACLOS missile, they're not going anywhere.

>>33259985
www.google.com
>>
>>33259990
Right oh. So theoretically, a MCLOS missile would better against these seeing as the launcher has no bearing upon the missile beyond the operator's skill?
>>
Fagots are always screwed.
>>
>>33260010
Well yes but there's a reason why practically no one uses MCLOS guidance anymore, why bother when SACLOS is so much easier to use. And rebel groups like those in Syria aren't going to have the missiles to spare to practice.
>>
>>33260012
kek
>>
Are US TOWs vulnerable?

I remember reading the ones sent to the ME have an older guidance system.
>>
>>33260290
Depends. I think the newer ones use coded infrared to prevent countermeasures.
>>
>>33259734
No real evidence this works or has even been deployed beyond SAA propaganda. The article itself mainly goes into how the system is given publicity to raise morale among SAA troops because their armor losses have been so bad. Vids of SAA tanks bring destroyed by TOWs are regularly churning out

Until we get some footage of it working I'll stay skeptical given all the BS SAA propaganda in the past.
>>
>>33260491
Yep, I was right: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-34/Ch1.htm

>The TOW 2 overcomes these problems by having the MGS send a signal to the missile that controls the frequency at which the xenon beacon is operating. The MGS varies this pattern randomly, speeding it up and slowing it down in no apparent pattern. The MGS is always able to distinguish its missile from other missiles because no two missiles will be operating on the same frequency at the same time. For the same reason, the enemy cannot jam the system.

There's also a second beacon to prevent countermeasures:

>The second radiator is called the thermal beacon and provides link compatibility with the electro-optical infrared nightsight, which is part of the TOW 2 launcher system.

So the TOWs in Syria are either old or the article is pure propaganda.
>>
>>33260583
TOW 2 was introduced in the 80's, so any TOW or ITOW missiles would be very old.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.