[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is Remington ever going to get better? >went to range with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: ABSOLUTELY POT METAL.jpg (27KB, 474x333px) Image search: [Google]
ABSOLUTELY POT METAL.jpg
27KB, 474x333px
is Remington ever going to get better?

>went to range with my buddy
>he just got a NEW 870
>constant malfunctions
>i try it out
>feels like the thing is going to fall apart in my hands
>pretty sure the bead wasn't even center

i was thinking of getting an 870 too, i was thinking if i got one it wouldn't be that bad because i usually have luck with my *50/50* purchases and usually comes out better than the apparent horror stories
i already have a 590, dont want a 500
should i go with a Winchester SXP?
what are some other pumps that you guys recommend?
>>
They have no reason to get better. People still buy their shit.
>>
>is Remington ever going to get better?
Unlikely.
>should i go with a Winchester SXP?
No.
>what are some other pumps that you guys recommend?
You have the only contemporary pump that matters. Collect now. Trench gun, Ithaca, an old 870 police magnum, maybe a nickel 590, meme shit like the KSG or Six12.
>>
>>33236656
>nickel 590
You mean 'marine coat"?
I'd kill to find one of the old nickel mossbergs.
>>
>>33236656

SXP's are good shotguns though. The only real gripe you can make is that they're made in Turkey.
>>
>>33236630
Anyone know how that op pic happened? I have seen this few times at the muzzle when a squib/ shitty clay load left a shot cup in the barrel and the next shot hit it... I cant imagine how that could happen so cleanly so close to the breech...

T: a curious gunsmith
>>
>>33236630
Listen.

If you want a Remington shotgun you need to get one that was made in the 90s or at least before 2006 because after that year point everything went to shit because of some bullshit I forgot.

The old ones make the Mossberg shit itself compared to the new ones.

Trust me.
>>
>>33236942
Would the bulging around the rib be indicative of a bore obstruction?

>t. know-nothing amateur
>>
>>33236942
I'm just spit baling here, but perhaps a firing 2 3/4" shells out of a 2 1/2" chamber? First round goes off no problem but leaves some of the shell behind. Shooter loads another round and BOOM!

T: a baby gunsmith
>>
>>33236947
Newfag here. Is this actually true or is he full of shit?
>>
>>33237082
Remington was obtained by a conglomerate called the Freedom Group. post-buy out the quality control of Remington has absolutely plummeted.

somebody post that picture of the Remington vs Tikka rifle bores
>>
>>33237108
Okay but what about the Remington shotguns from the nineties and the post 2006 ones?

Are they actually good or not?
>>
>>33237119
Yes, they're great.
>>
>>33237126
Even better than the Mossberg shotguns?
>>
>>33237135
pre 2006 ones are fine. police trade in guns are very nice. Wingmasters are the pinnacle
>>
>>33237025
>>33236994

I work with rifles 99% of the time so my shotgun knowledge is lacking, but my colleague shows me fucked up shotguns every once in a while. He's yet to show me one with any damage done by long shells in short chamber. Either nobody has done it in the 4 year period I worked here or it doesn't do that much damage... Any way looks like some sort of bore obstruction because the way it has bulged in every direction. I see it in rifles too.

T: curious
>>
>>33236636
How long will Fudds still think it'll be like their old deer gun from the 80s?
>>
>>33237158
forgot to add that it still puzzles me because it is so close to the chamber... If it was on a rifle it would have banana peeled the whole barrel or busted the case head and vented in to the breech maybe splitting the receiver.
>>
>buy a shotgun that costs the same as Chinkshit/Turkshit/Brazilshit shotguns
>but is made by American workers that need health insurance and skilled worker wages
>time to fuck over/skip quality control, parts metallurgy, and finishing operations

If you buy a new American-made shotgun for less than $400 you're buying poorly built garbage. Yes this includes Mossbergs. Their 590A1s are good, their 500s are usually rattly shit with safeties that break.

>>33236942
>>33236994
>>33237158
>>33237025

My guess
>load 20 gauge into 12 gauge chamber accidentally
>it doesn't get extracted
>chamber looks clear, load a 12 gauge shell
>12 gauge pushes the 20 gauge shell deep into the bore
>fire
>barrel peels open around where the left hand would be, shooter quite often loses a finger
>>
>>33237135
Depends on what you mean by better. Functionally they were both fantastic and most of the differences came down to preference or aesthetics. Mossberg slides rattle a bit and they've never been known for nice blued finishes but they've always been about where they are now. Solid workhorses.

Also Mossberg has been making replacement 870 since forever sooo..
>>
>>33237612
It's like you've condensed the essence of /k/ into a single post. Not really the spirit of /k/ but it's "knowledge"
>>
>>33236630
I picked up a police trade in Wingmaster for $225 last year

Search for classic 870s online if you want one. I love mine but wouldn't have bought a new one
>>
Haven't herad too much hate for the 870. I have a early 80's 870 Wingmaster, am I in the clear? The gun has been solid as fuck, I've put thousands of rounds through it skeet shooting and hunting, and I've never even cleaned the bastard lulz.
>>
>>33236630
Benelli nova or supernova
>>
>>33236630
1897's are still great, just make sure that they are chambered for 2 3/4, a lot are chambered for 2 1/2. Model 12's are great too, same thing with chamber size though. Older 870's are great, of course.
>>
>>33237164
Fudds don't shoot their guns very often and most wouldn't be able to tell a 2 MOA rifle from a sub-MOA rifle.

As long as they can put a Leupold scope on it and shoot a deer at 100 yards they'll keep buying it.
>>
>>33238279
Read the thread. Literally nothing wrong with the old Remington guns. When they got bought out in the mid-2000's is when their quality took a nosedive.
>>
File: supernova-pump-shotgun-12-gauge.png (118KB, 1004x353px) Image search: [Google]
supernova-pump-shotgun-12-gauge.png
118KB, 1004x353px
>>33238301
This
>>
>>33236853
i use mine and leave the remshit behind the truck seat.
>>
>>33237025

Literally zero chance it was a 2.5" chamber, that has been obsolete for over 50 years.

Even if it was, it wouldn't leave shell behind, it would just constrict the opening crimp and cause enough pressure with no squib.
>>
>>33237119
My 870 is like an 80s one... fucking things a beast, you should be able to find a 90s 870 for 300 to 400 bucks max easy. They were made in the millions
>>
>>33236942
If I had to guess, I'd say they were shooting overpressure loads through an antique gun.

Reverse image search quest reveals that's a LC Smith 12ga circa 1930.
>>
>>33236853
>The only real gripe you can make is that they're made in Turkey
As if that's not enough of a reason.
>>
>>33237164
young shooters today getting into guns buy a gun and think "hey this is pretty cool!" they don't know it's crap compared to how guns used to be made. so they make their stupid unboxing youtube video and spread the word that their gun is "pretty cool" and other people who are inexperienced with guns believe it and buy one too.
on top if that, our generation is used to buying cheaply made products and fixing&finishing them to make them more functional, while back in the day, things were made to be used from the factory. so to them, a rough lever action is not a big deal, just needs some filing and breaking in.
to put it simply, the standards for manufactured goods have been lowered across the board and young people these days no longer expect pristine quality for their money. they expect good enough quality.
>>
>>33240759
I have a S&W model 15-3 circa 1967, and the fit and finish on the gun is miles ahead of new-production revolvers. It's pretty incredible.
>>
>>33237612
>their 500s are usually rattly shit
they aways were rattly. it has literally zero efect on the function, it actually increases reliability
>safeties that break.
buy a metal one
>>
There is absolutely nothing wrong with modern 870 police magnum version. They are made to considerably higher standards and in a separate section of the factory than their budget express version
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.