[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a round go off if it falls flat on the ground? I was cleaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: .44 jpg.jpg (58KB, 1154x1154px) Image search: [Google]
.44 jpg.jpg
58KB, 1154x1154px
Can a round go off if it falls flat on the ground? I was cleaning my .44 today and as I was unloading it, one of the rounds fell out of my hand and it went straight to the ground (hard ceramic floor), my cousin saw it and immediately ducked and covered his ears, then called me an idiot and told me how the round could go off like that. I very much doubt it but I don't know everything. Is it possible for the round to go off like that? just falling completely flat on its back on the ground?
>>
>>33229267
No and your cousin is retarded.
>>
File: 1482693473444.jpg (51KB, 552x805px) Image search: [Google]
1482693473444.jpg
51KB, 552x805px
>>33229267
Smack your cousin for being so retarded.
>>
>>33229267
If you don't know how ammunition works you shouldn't have ownership of a gun
>>
>>33229267
>>33229322
https://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c?t=3m39s
>>
Unless the round landed with the primer onto a sharp piece of gravel, and from a pretty far up height, I don't see it happening.

And even then, if there's no chamber to contain the firing cartridge or a bore to force the bullet down, it's just gonna burst at the crimp or split and blast out all it's gas through there, instead of firing.
>>
>>33229267

No, the only concievable way to set a cartridge off outside of a gun is a really hard, sharp force directly on the primer. Hitting it hard with a nail would probably do the trick.
>>
>>33229350

Primer sets off a small spark that blows the powder, its not out of the realm of possibilities that something stricking the primer directly will trigger its chemical reaction, but like >>33229365 said without a tight tube to contain it, it's not gonna do shit asides breaking up.

I remember some guy in my grandpa's hunting group said he once threw a shell in the back of his pickup and it went off, but I never believed that story desu
>>
File: 13_Col.jpg (733KB, 1600x1129px) Image search: [Google]
13_Col.jpg
733KB, 1600x1129px
>>33229267
No, it couldn't. And you should embarass him and tell everyone what he did when he is around for calling YOU an idiot.
I would have loved to have seen that.
If you somehow threw the cartridge onto something sharp with enough force to strike the primer setting off the round, all it would do is 'popcorn'.
There is no chamber/barrel to direct the energy so the casing and bullet will just blow apart.
>>
>>33229365
>>33229418
>>33229399
>the cartridge will just burst
Exactomundo, it's the physical principle that we call "the path of least resistance"
>>
>>33229267
Tell you're cousin what a dumbfuck he is.
>>
>>33229267
Nope

Needs to land on something that can dent the primer. Primers are usually pretty hard so it's unlikely it will land with enough force to cause it to go off.
>>
>>33229267
>Can a round go off if it falls flat on the ground?
No.

And even if it hit something very tiny and sharp and went off, it wouldn't be dangerous in the slightest as it can't build any sort of velocity outside of the chamber .
>>
>>33230278
This

The worst that can happen is you might get a casing fly into your eye.

Now if it was something like a 50 BMG that is a bit more dangerous.
>>
>>33230288
>The worst that can happen is you might get a casing fly into your eye.
Unlikely unless your eye is literally next to the round going off. You pretty much would need to do it with premeditation.

>Now if it was something like a 50 BMG that is a bit more dangerous.
Yeah I guess it could be potentially dangerous if it hit something vital. But you would need to be pretty close to it as the bullet couldn't travel really far like this.
>>
>>33229267
Offtipic, but: i recently shot a .44mag for the first time ever. I remember all those people telling me how horrid it kicks and it's really unpleasant to fire.
Fuck that! Shooting this thing almost made me cum hard, one of the best shooting related feelings i ever had. I'd go out and buy one this instance if my country was'nt so cucked hard.
If you ever get the chance to fire a .44mag, use it!
>>
>>33229353
This is quite genuinely one of the best videos on youtube.
>>
>>33229267
No. it would have to land primer first on something sharp and even then you probably have to drop it from the roof of a building to have enough force and even then it wouldn't be much more dangerous then throwing a large firecracker at your feet.
>>
>>33230470
>Country says no .44 magnum

What is this hellhole?
>>
>>33229418
Kek, I remember watching these videos in highschool. Never understood why a turtle needed a helmet.
>>
>>33229267
No, the primer has to be hit with a sharp object like a firing pin. It has to be crushed in.
>>
>>33230349
It's more all the pressure of the deflagration, say it went off next to your foot, the bullet wouldn't take off, but it'd really fuck up your ankle.
>>
>>33229267
>>33231150
it is still an explosive mixture in the primer...
>>
My stepdad had a story of a guy using a live .50 BMG as a hammer. Apparently blew half the guys hand off. Is this plausible? What kind of damage would that do?
>>
Make your cousin sleep outside for a week. Lack of knowledge on subject matter and for speaking out of line.
>>
>>33229365
This. It'll make a hell of a noise but unless you're 2 inches from it you won't even get injured
>>
>>33232114
Yeah, there's a picture floating around
>>
>>33232114
Yeah, was some meathead muhreen somewhere, if you google it you can find a picture of his injuries (basically his hand is ruined), he was using the .50BMG cartridge as a hammer.

It's a pretty stout powder load, and a pretty powerful primer. A .50BMG is about the size of a carrot or so, now imagine roughly a carrot's volume of smokeless gunpowder, that shit can absolutely do very serious damage.
>>
>>33229267
Unless it's rimfire, highly unlikely. That primer takes a lot of concentrated force to set off.
>>
>>33229267
Even if it could go off like that (it can't unless there was a nail sticking right up out of the ground and the bullet fell just the right way for the primer to get hit) the very most that would happen would be it popped pretty harmlessly like a firecracker, at most a piece of brass might snap off and hit you (not hard enough to cause any real damage though)
>>
File: 1485503721914.png (111KB, 271x376px) Image search: [Google]
1485503721914.png
111KB, 271x376px
>>33232114
>Is this plausible?
Yes, if you are indeed using a live round as a hammer it might go off
>What kind of damage would that do?
Possibly blow half your hand off
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.