[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an idea and I would like some input on this idea. We

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

I have an idea and I would like some input on this idea.

We all know about the technology of railguns and even some innovative ideas on using magnetic energy to propel slug rounds without the need of chemical combustion or the add resources of brass and other suchlike.

What about the idea of homemade railgun?

I had a thought about getting a large quantity of thick copper wires and a very long metal pipe and several semi truck batteries and connecting the wires to the batteries then run the wrap around in ring style coils throughout the entire metal pipe and design a special projectile round that will be in a drop down magazine that is controlled by gravity and a trigger mechanism that knocks the round into the chamber and shoots the projectile with enough magnetic force and energy to kill any large animal.

Have the batteries sit on the back end of a pickup truck and you got yourself a long range sniper railgun rifle.

Could my idea work?

Also the metal projectile could be 75cal or larger depending on the design build.
>>
>>33213702
I want to know what the fuck you been smoking op.
>>
>>33213723
I don't smoke.
>>
>>33213786

Perhaps you should...?
>>
>>33213702
its possible but would be extremely difficult and would require huge voltages to reach any significant velocities
>>
>>33213912
Why would I want to smoke?
>>
>>33213702
>can you make a home made railgun
yes

>will do anything more than plop a bit of metal out the end of a barrel without alot of money being spent on gear?
no
>>
>>33213962
Well I mean going by using the spacing out the coil ring likes copper wire through out the metal pipe and with say about ten or so semi truck fully charged batteries should provide enough magnetic energy power to allow it to fire off a metal projectile and I do plan on the metal pipe to be like about fifteen or longer feet on the pipe to allow the buildup travel of the metal round.

I may plan on using a binocular telescope as a rifle scope for it.
>>
>>33214010
even IF you get some speed for the round, you are going to be up shit creek when you actually want to try and hit anything that isnt 2 meters away
>>
>>33214039
Well what do you propose on making it able to get up to killing speed?
>>
>>33214054
getting an engineering degree

or atleast doubling the amount of stuff you plan on using and somehow controlling the magnets so that they each get a full pulse of power individually at just the right time
>>
>>33213702
>>>/metro2033/
>>
>>33213702
This is not how railguns work.

A good thread had to die for this.
>>
File: 1484858513057.png (88KB, 278x242px) Image search: [Google]
1484858513057.png
88KB, 278x242px
>>33213702
>>
Well you'll need some capacitors. Big ones.
Also, the projectile will have to stay in contact with the rails to prevent it arc welding itself to the rails, which will put significant wear on the rails
Have fun
>>
File: xkXlU.gif (4MB, 298x239px) Image search: [Google]
xkXlU.gif
4MB, 298x239px
>>33213702
Not a wise idea, I don't really know shit about magnets but I do know alot when it comes to nigger rigging firearms and explosives. Here is a general rule of thumb, When Nigger rigging always expect science to work against you and NEVER fuck around in your pickup. I made the mistake of welding bale spikes around and old chevy i had lying around thinking I would be effectively re-creating that one scene from mad max but ended up just flipping it and jamming the front spikes into a hedge. DO something elese, like weld a can holder and a bipod type contraption onto your headache rack or something. But if you are doom-driven, then godspeed.
>>
>>33216024
If its either covered in rust or thick paint it shouldnt arc
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.