[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT New Edition Is "breaking in" a rifle a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 40

File: SarahMarieSummer.jpg (84KB, 529x528px) Image search: [Google]
SarahMarieSummer.jpg
84KB, 529x528px
QTDDTOT New Edition

Is "breaking in" a rifle a meme? Should I use higher quality ammo if I'm going to break it in?
>>
>>33212880
>Is "breaking in" a rifle a meme?

According to AI, it's a meme and just reduces your barrel life. I trust Accuracy International, especially since they have plenty of motive to shill breaking in a barrel (less barrel life = more barrels sold = more profits)
>>
File: post bunker buster.jpg (148KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
post bunker buster.jpg
148KB, 800x600px
>>33212880
How do modern bunker busters work?

Could they be defeated with a building sized equivalent of spaced armor and ERA? Or with a similarly huge version of Iron Curtain?

Or are SAMs, CIWS' and entire mountains the only way to defend against them once launched?
>>
>>33212880
if you really care about it you should clean your bore after every shot for a few mags on a new rifle. the heat of firing opens up micro pores that fill with carbon and byproducts of firing, if you clean it every shot you fill those pores up with copper which is slightly better.
>>
why is racism allowed here since it's against the rules?
racism isn't as severe in the other boards I go to
don't normally come here but the memes are funny
>>
>>33213097
/pol/ and stormfag push, they hope to recruit gunhands.
>>
>>33212880
Is Taurus a meme?
>>
>>33213058
>Could they be defeated with a building sized equivalent of spaced armor and ERA? Or with a similarly huge version of Iron Curtain?
Probably, but that'd be prohibitively expensive
>>
Penn & Teller do the catching bullets trick by just down-charging .357 mag rounds to the point that they become potato cannons, right?
Works pretty well for a revolver that doesn't need gas pressure to cycle the action and is quiet enough to be fired in a sound-amplified theatre with nothing but fingers in your ears as protection.
>>
>>33213375
Maybe, but Germany did build those Flaktowers that were solid rebar and concrete during WWII that still haven't been demolished, so it stands to reason that some kind of above-ground defenses with modern technology should be able to stand up to modern explosives. Moving mass is much harder than settling it, after all.
In reality there just hasn't been much need to actually DO it, and NORAD began development in the Cold War before any viable countermeasures against nukes had been theorized.
>>
File: two tap myth.jpg (50KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
two tap myth.jpg
50KB, 1137x640px
>>33213121
>>
>>33212918
The way I figure it is that 90% of us who even have guns on this board aren't shooting in competition where we need the best possible accuracy and precision so its a moot point for the average shooter.
>>
>>33214048
Several of the flak towers have been demolished since WW2. You're also overlooking the fact that bombing was incredibly imprecise during WW2.
>>
>>33213375
Surely less than the tens of millions of dollars each plane costs though.
>>
Breaking in is a fudd meme perpetuated by shooters who refuse to admit any possible fault in themselves. Adjusting to a new barrel or gun and being very precise with it just takes time.
>>
>>33214269
They were also really strong. Demolishing them after the war, not bombing them just demolishing them with explosives was incredibly difficult.

The Zoo G tower, the most famous one, took three goes. First time failed. The second time engineers assessed it, they drilled holes, packed in 25 tons of explosives and it survived. Third time they did it again with more holes and 35 more tons of explosives and that time it worked.

The Allies weren't just crappy shots, the towers were incredibly rugged. Most of the G Towers remain - Zoo was the only one fully demolished, one was partially demolished, another was buried into an artificial hill. The other 5 are still intact.
>>
File: 1484871292293.jpg (19KB, 400x229px) Image search: [Google]
1484871292293.jpg
19KB, 400x229px
>>33213097
Because racism is simply part of this place's identity, I'm a leftycuck that can't stand stormniggers and even I get that.

If you don't want to be offended by alittle casual racism then go to reddit or some shit, Or wherever it is kids these days go to talk about their whizbang shootymaboppers.
>>
>>33212918
idk about rifle, I got a single malfunction on the first mag of my 1911, none sience after 250 rounds (what i consider braking in) and 200 more. it kind of makes sense. shit needs to adjust small amounts of material gets removed from tightly machined parts. you are still going to shoot it and should practice. doing drills during breaking in should be fun.
>>
>>33214594
That's not the barrel though. Breaking in a gun and breaking in a barrel are two entirely separate things. Breaking in a a barrel is a long process of shooting a round then cleaning. Breaking in a gun is just shooting it while the movement of the action wears any tight parts down into a nominal fit; increasing reliability. Guns like 1911s almost require a 500rd break in period. A glock shouldn't have any.
>>
File: 1428306914354.jpg (16KB, 342x423px) Image search: [Google]
1428306914354.jpg
16KB, 342x423px
What's the best approach to take when a girl you fancy is revealed to be vehemently opposed to funs?
>>
>>33214125
More like 99℅
>>
>>33214269
>Several of the flak towers have been demolished since WW2
All of the big ones are still in existence. The brits wanted to blow the one in Hamburg up bit the calculated amount of explosives would have potentially obliterated the whole town and would've cost a ton of money, so it's still here today. It took them years to clear out some of the inner walls to make the rooms somewhat usable
>>
>>33215285
get an air rifle or a BB gun and show her how much fun shooting at tin cans in the garden is. Don't know if that works with girls but definitely worked with my mom.
>>
>>33215285

Same thing as if you found out she hated video games or history. Don't bring it up around her, and let her just get used to the idea that it's your hobby.

I don't want to hear about quilting from my wife, but it's a better use of her free time than watching shitty TV.
>>
>>33212880
slight imperfections in the bore chip off and get welded in place if you don't run a brush through it after shooting the first rounds or two.

clean bore before shooting first round, shoot one, clean, shoot two more, clean, for 5 rounds

should be good.
>>
how do I get used to keeping my eyes open when I shoot?
I just recently went shooting for the first time and I couldn't for the life of me keep my eyes open with each shot
>>
>>33214014
I've never seen their trick but its probabaly just a blank and whoever catches the bullet just regurgitates it when no one is looking.
>>
>>33215338

You're talking about the G-type towers and some of them have been demolished as >>33214581 said

The one in Hamburg is still there though. They turned it into a nightclub. Unfortunately it was closed when I was there.
>>
>>33215574
>flak towers that once defended the German people is now a nightclub for smelly arabs with shitty cologne

really makes you think
>>
>>33213097
Racism isn't against the rules. /pol/ shitposting is.
>>
>>33212880
Do P30 holsters fit HK45c? Trying to find a decent AIWB but haven't found anyone who even makes a holster for it.
>>
Can i get a link to a website that had a wide assortment of 1911 grips. Googles results a shit
>>
>>33213097
>don't normally come here but the memes are funny

Then fuck off and die, retard.
People who like guns generally don't like the government and its political correctness. People who don't like political correctness generelly tell the truth no matter how blunt it is because it is backed up by science, its logic, reason and evidence.

So again, fuck off and die dumb nigger.
>>
File: Neil-deGrasse-Tyson.jpg (30KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
Neil-deGrasse-Tyson.jpg
30KB, 612x380px
>>33215641

>This guy exists

I have refuted any and all claims you have backed by "science, it's logic, reason and evidence"
>>
>>33213364
avoid
>>
NIB SCAR 17 for $2600. Y/N?
>>
>>33215667
Reddit
>>
How to go to therapist/ psychiatrist without losing funs?
>>
>>33215378
your eyes have nothing to do with the shot after you've taken aim.
>>
>>33215760
don't tell them you have a deep desire to go on a shooting rampage?
>>
>>33215442
Someone from the audience signs the bullet before hand. Not saying it's real, but it can't be done like that.
>>
>>33215760
Talk about your problems with them and don't act like a psycho. I've been to one a few times and we talked about my shooting hobby fairly frequently.
>>
>>33215285

Shoot cans of pop with a 22. The lack of recoil and the thrill of watching cans explode was enough to win my girlfriend over.
>>
>>33215574
You didn't miss a thing it's not that cool. Only worth going there if they have some Indie concerts but that's quite rare.
>>
>>33215285
Leave the issue for a while, then use the power of dick to convince her to go to the gun range.
>>
>>33215760
if you're at the point of making your own decision to go to a shrink, you don't need to worry
you only lose your guns if you're involuntarily committed (really rare, usually they say go voluntarily or be involuntarily committed) or declared by a judge to be incompetent
that's Federal, and state law will vary so post your state

best way to not lose your guns is to go to a shrink now and get your problems sorted before they get worse
>>
In all of the shtf discussions I have never once heard the focus turn to cleaning supplies. I was thinking about this while cleaning after a range trip, if it is truely shtf how will I ensure efficient operation of my arms. So whats the plan, grab a large bottle of clp and hope it hust lasts? Never clean your equipment and hope ot keeps working?
>>
>>33216512
well, firearms are not a lubrication intensive device
you can just use vegetable oil, which you /might/ be able to make post apoc
or you can store motor oil
a gallon is maybe $15 or $20 and will last a crazy long time if all you use it for is guns

as for solvents, that's trickier
>>
>>33216512
>if it is truely shtf how will I ensure efficient operation of my arms

If you don't instantly know multiple good answers to that you need to study real prepper shit like auto mechanics.

Solvents and lubricants are life, but there will be more than enough lube (oil survives even if a car is burned out), rags, etc you can scavenge. Even petrol too nasty to run in an engine is sufficient for cleaning mechanisms.

Thought exercise:
You are in a disaster area. Nothing special, but you have only what you can scrounge.

Contemplate your environment. Consider RL SHTF. Copy success. REAL success. Ignore fiction completely. Fiction makes people stupid.
>>
>>33216357
>>33215793
>>33215812
aight thanks senpai
so then would i still be fine if i talk about depression and past suicide attempt with them?
>>
>>33216646
just don't say anything about owning guns if you're really worried
but it's better to be alive and get your shit sorted outpatients than be involuntarily committed after a failed attempt or worse, succeed in an attempt

but seriously, we need to know the state to know for sure
Cali is more restrictive than TX for example
>>
>>33216570
>>33216574
Wouldnt the low smoke point for vegetable oil be a problem? So the answer is keep 6lbs of oil on me if I can't stay put?
Used motor oil would be a terrible lubricant. By its very nature its full of particulants as soon as it is used. I would not want to lube my rifle with dirt and metal shavings.

Gasoline would probably make a decent solvent for a while, but in all honesty the limited amount would be tasked elsewhere.

Now for the thought experiment, I imagine alcohol is probably going to be a good solvent in this situation. Im thinking more grain alcohol vs meads. The question then becomes is it a strong enough solvent to attack carbon but not ruin metals? I dont have the money to test the theory on a rifle if there is potential to ruin it.

Thanks for the thoughs, it really drives my process and need to keep preparing.
>>
Whats the best AK74 variant/version, which still looks like the original (wooden furniture)?
>>
>>33212880

How do soldiers in the field protect their ears? I was watching Seige of Jadotville with my friends the other day and it occurred to me that none of the characters had hearing protection. Is that realistic?
>>
>>33216983
Fireclean was vegetable oil
besides being expensive, it worked
the low smoke point just means more frequent applications

as for motor oil, I wouldn't use used either
but think about how big of a bottle gun oil comes in? maybe 4 oz
and think how long that lasts you
a big gallon jug should last eons
>>
>>33215802
This. It's a marked bullet and the guns and ammo they use have been verified as 'real', though that doesn't preclude them using handloads with barely enough charge to get the round accross the stage
>>
>>33217611
i'm much more inclined to believe there is some slight of hand/misdirection while trading a blank for the signed bullet, then getting the slug of that marked bullet over to whichever one is supposed to "catch" it
>>
https://georgiagunstore.com/index.php/s-w-m-p15-sptii-556nato-16-30rd-blk.html

Is this a good deal?
>>
>>33217087
No you mongoloid
>>
>>33217658
But then there's also the issue of the glass that the bullets have to pass through, which aside from being obvious safety glass doesn't seem to be rigged.
>>
>>33218199
it is if you don't have to pay shipping & FFL fee. otherwise no, about average. there's a used one at my shop for $500 with a light and magnified sights already assembled.
>>
>>33214594
That means your 1911 had sloppy machining.
>>
File: 836531.jpg (97KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
836531.jpg
97KB, 880x660px
will making the rear sight notch lower fuck up point of aim? ive got a 1911 with gi sights and it shoots dead on. but the sights are small as fuck caus its gi. if i were to remove a little material with a file would the point of aim change? im thinking it wouldnt cause you align the front with the top of the rear. the notch depth wouldnt change that.
>>
So I have an old beat up bolo Mauser c96. I have the stock and holster that goes with it, but the lanyard loop is broken off, and the bore is shot out and it isn't matching. I was thinking of trading it because I don't really have the money to feed it or fix it easily. How much is it worth? I paid 600 for it.

How easy would it be to get better one in the future?
>>
File: idk.jpg (472KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
idk.jpg
472KB, 1600x900px
Not extremely weapons related; more "older male" issue which in the past I've found /k/ reasonably helpful for regarding topics I don't really want to discuss with friends of family etc...

I quit smoking, and I cleaned my house out completely (after smoking in it for years). Now the whole place just smells like bengay. Every night I get home from work, open the door, and all I smell is bengay. I *guess* It's better than the whole place smelling like smoke, but it's still pretty damn depressing like this.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? (inb4 stop using bengay; I can't. I need that shit)

Here's a gun I guess
>>
File: Plasma Rifles n Carbines.png (3MB, 2860x1640px) Image search: [Google]
Plasma Rifles n Carbines.png
3MB, 2860x1640px
So what carbine is the guy holding (Marked red) and the rifle the resistance fighter is holding (In yellow)
>>
i'm new to guns and i was thinking about getting a shotgun for HD/SHTF/to shoot skeet with a friend. is the mossberg 500 worth the extra price over the maverick88? also does the maverick 88 have the screw in/adjustable chokes?
>>
>>33218404
I wouldn't use a file for that because it won't be perfectly square and it might cause you to screw up aligning the front sight in the middle of it.
>>
>>33219954
Nice raifu.
Also if you like vanilla, try putting a few caps of it in the oven for a while. If not just try candles.
>>
>>33220061
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Terminator,_The_(1984)#Rifles
>>
>>33219954
Voltaren(Diclofenac) if it's for the joints or methylated spirit if it's old wounds or scars instead of Bengay
>>
>>33219954
>buy concentrated cedarwood essential oil
>dilute with distilled water
>spray bottle
>house now smells like a wood shop
>>
>>33214825
This. I mistakenly took apart my new ptr bolt after only 20 rounds and had a bitch of a time fitting it back over the locking lever. Action break in is real.
>>
>>33219954
Use Tiger Balm
>>
>>33220664
This. That shit is like magic, and it smells nice too.
>>
>>33213058
really simply put, they have a hardened nose and use pure kinetic energy to bury themselves before detonating after a delay or depth.
>>
File: 20170306_163842-1024x576.jpg (120KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_163842-1024x576.jpg
120KB, 1024x576px
Can anybody identify the manufacturer of this holster, it's an AIWB for a Shield 9 with no markings.
>>
I use a 20" AR, rifle length gas of course, with a carbine buffer. Last range trip, PMC Brone .223 was causing short strokes constantly -- it would eject just fine, but would often FTF, and never locked the bolt open. I assume it's a combination of the rifle gas and the lower pressure from the .223, but is this normal?
>>
>>33217087
They have electronic ear pro that double as radios.
>>
I would like to hear some opinions on people's preferences toward black or stainless steel on M9 and the criteria includes iconic entertainment use of each flavor as well as practical applications etc.
>>
On an AR, is it called a bolt catch or bolt release?
>>
>>33222184
Yes.
As in, both are acceptable. It does both. I personally use "catch" more, I think.
>>
>>33222184
Yes.
>>
is there a gun universal handgun holster or should i buy a holster for each handgun?
>>
Bought a gun online for the first time. Should I expect any paperwork from my FFL? Am I supposed to be given anything for my records along with my gun?

Also, if I sell a gun on armslist would I have to do a firearms transfer?
>>
>>33222255
good*
>>
How to get military training without joining the military?
>>
>>33222255
I'd imagine the military contract holsters are good. I know of the M-12, but I think there are others.
>>
>>33213058
they bust bunkers
>>
>>33222255
Get a holster talored to your specific firearm, it is important fof safety and retention.

Make your own from kydex for $10 each if you have a ton of handguns.

>>33222270
You will need to fill out a 4473, the FFL will probably provide you with a receipt for the transfer fee but it's up to them. You could always request it.

State law dictates private transfer requirements, federal law does not mandate paperwork. I woould ask for ID and a name for your own protection
>>
>>33222334
>Get a holster talored to your specific firearm, it is important fof safety and retention.
Depends what you're using it for. If you just need it for 2 gun, a universal holster is fine. If it's for carry, you're definitely right.
>>
>>33222361
That's fair, however, a kydex holster made specifically for your firearm will cost the same and preform better in competition. You are correct though.
>>
>>33220139
Dont plan on taking off that much just a few passes. Is there any reason it would have a negative effect?
>>
File: IMG_0195.jpg (1MB, 2400x2824px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0195.jpg
1MB, 2400x2824px
A few questions about lubing/cleaning?

I know you aren't supposed to "overlube" glocks because you don't want lube getting into the firing pin channel, but is it OK for me to rub a light coat of CLP on the outer slide? because I just did. I noticed that there was some sort of buildup in the slide serrations and now it just looks sexy af.

Also I cleaned and lubed my AR after the lat time I fired it, but that was early february. After my next paycheck drops I'm probably going to take it to the range again. Should i lube up the BCG before doing so? or is it good.
>>
>>33218404
You align the top of the sights not the bottom, just go slow and don't take more off one side than the other and you will be fine.

>>33213364
The PT92 is a good gun for the price and has the best QC, the other pistols are questionable at best, and unfortunately their S&W clones have gone up in price to the point that buying a used Smith is a better option.

>>33215378
Hold a pen out in front of you and pretend it's a front sight, focus on it with both eyes open and pretend something on the wall is a target. You can do this anywhere without alarming people, unlike using actual gun shaped objects.

>>33215729
It's a good deal if spending tge money won't harm your essential finances
>>
>>33222320
That is what they do, not how they work.

>>33220990
So no to the scaled up tank defenses then.

If it uses kinetic energy to punch though, you're not going to deflect it enough, or fast enough using those sort of systems. At best you might trigger or disable the explosive payload.

Sound about right?
>>
>>33222851
That is correct

>>33222573
No, you are good to go so long as you don't cut it crooked

>>33222586
You are good to go on the Glock, assess the AR and if it looks dry rub a thin layer on. Cknsider switching to grease over oil for sliding parts. Cabelas sells slide lube grease for cheap that works well.
>>
I'm gonna level with you, /k/. I'm pretty fucking dumb. Terminal ballistics are Greek to me and external ballistics are Spanish. If I want effectiveness against a man at 0-500 meters out of a 16 inch barrel with a semi auto intermediate cartridge what chambering do I want?
From what I've gathered 7.62x39 shits the bed at 300+, 5.45x39 has strong terminal but poor external performance, 5.56x45 either blows the fuck up or icepicks, and 6.5x39 is a more precise 5.56 that icepicks more often than not. This is just from what I've read and understood or watched happen in gel, so some of it may be wrong. It seems like 5.45x39 is my best bet because it's very reliable in fucking shit up, but I don't want to make a bad move so here I am.
>>
>>33222969
If you can't figure out holdovers you want something fast and flat. Go with 5.56x45 and use the low cost of ammo to develop a familiarity with the round. Choose a zero that will give you a man sized spread at 0-500 with one POA.

As for terminal ballistics, if the guy is 300 yds away an ice pick in the hip will still make him a casualty, you don't need to kill him "NowNowNow!" Most of the time, and if he is shooting back an ice pick through the lung will make him less effective.
>>
>>33221828
Black is the classic look. Much more aesthetic.
>>
>>33222969
>effectiveness against a man at 0-500 meters
Ok.
>16 inch barrel
Ok.
>intermediate cartridge
No.

Step up to .308 Winchester or drop to 300 yards or however long that is in Communist meters.
>>
>>33223209
Explain your reasoning.
>>
File: noguns.jpg (323KB, 986x591px) Image search: [Google]
noguns.jpg
323KB, 986x591px
Jaws 2 shenanigans aside, would filling the nose of hollow point bullets with wax help fight lead degredation?
Would said bullets leave a crap ton of wax deposited in the barrel?
>>
>>33223240
Consistent effectiveness against a man at over .148 nautical miles cannot be achieved with an intermediate pea shooter. Finding the best one for the purpose is like selecting the best hot sauce for lube.
>>
>>33223310
You are just retarded then, copy that, carry on.

>>33223298
What are you concerned about here, oxidation?
>>
>>33212880

You'll hear so many mixed arguments about breaking it in that you'll probably never have a satisfying for sure answer. My thought is it's kinda like the old "why you should believe in God" argument:

You do it and turns out it's not real, then you've just wasted some time but nothing bad happened either.
You don't do it and it is real, then you're fucked.
>>
>>33223355
I'm not the one trying to force a high power SMG into a DMR role.
>>
>>33223412
Are you having fun being stupid? Do you actually do this around people in real life or is 4chan your little escape in the day where you get to be a blathering idiot and nobody can smack you for it?
>>
>>33223360
>believe in any god or gods we know of
>this displeases the real god who condemns you to eternal damnation for betraying him
>believe in breaking in a barrel
>waste time, ammo, and barrel life
>>
>>33223360
>>33212880
It's entirely dependant on the quality of the barrel, and in precision shooting it may refer to finding a point where copper deposits have reached a kind of equilibrium for consistency shot to shot.

There, the question is answered.
>>
>>33223460
>no real counterarguments as you desperately pour over ballistics tables trying to find one decent 5.56 cartridge and one really shit 7.62 cartridge to compare
Good grief. Stop forcing your buyer's remorse onto the poor bastard.
>>
>>33223512
I actually just called you a tard and moved on but I'll point out that he said 0-500, not 500, not 300-500, and since ammunition capacity and rapid follow up shots are important at closer range where most engagements will take place an intermediate cartridge is more advantageous.
>>
File: Can't_read.jpg (37KB, 795x597px) Image search: [Google]
Can't_read.jpg
37KB, 795x597px
>>33223036
>>33223209
>>33223310
Guys please.
>>
>>33223475
barrels do need to be broken in. if you put a flashlight in one end of the barrel in a new gun and look down it you can see a twist in the grain of metal along the inside of the barrel. it's rougher on the bullet and slows it down. best way ive found to get rid of it is to take a dremel with a long sandpaper bit and dremel the inside of the barrel until its very smooth and then grease the inside of the barrel down. then it will provide less drag on the bullets and make them go faster
>>
File: FB_IMG_1484097421526.jpg (33KB, 374x503px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1484097421526.jpg
33KB, 374x503px
>>33223671
>>
I inherited a Jennings J22 last year, my first pistol in fact. It seems to jam a lot. Failure to feed mostly. Could this just be because of the brand of .22, or is the j22 just jam-prone? Could it be user error? I admit I know little about pistols.
>>
how many boxes of pistol ammo could this hold?

http://www.luckygunner.com/ammo-can-50-cal-green-new-m2a1-mil-spec-1
>>
>>33223761
I own one, use CCI mini mags, they're just shit guns.
>>
>>33212918
>>33214825
Now I haven't done any of this shit as I plink .22 still. I believe I read that you would add fouling to the barrel and rifling through shooting, and you probably don't get it all out. so maybe shooting it while keeping the consistent fouling makes sense as you will never have a perfectly clean barrel after shooting it.
>>
>>33212880
My friend has repeatedly described to me a video of a trench with some guys in the front blasting away with AKs until their hand guards catch fire while guys in the back load mags out of spam cans. Anyone have it?
>>
>>33213097
/pol/ mostly
>>
>>33223830
See >>33223496
>>
>>33216983
look up Ed's Red. it's an open source rifle bore cleaner.

clean, new transmission fluid mixed equally with kerosene is an awesome firearms lubricant. white mineral oil is breddy gud also.

alcohol would do alright as a solvent, but high concentration alcohols are hydroscopic.

ammonia is often found in rifle cleaning products as well.
>>
I am stupid noguns. I've read that I should start with something like a Ruger 10/22 to learn how to shoot for the first time, before moving on to something to actually hunt deer with. Is this the best course of action, or would I save money and time by jumping right in with something heavier? I just want to learn to shoot good and get myself some deer meat and leather
>>
>>33223956
.22lr offers available low cost ammo and does not have the muzzle blast or recoil that usually causes a flinch.

I would go so far as to say a bolt action .22 is best but a 10/22 is a great option. Shoot a couple thousand rounds before moving up to a larger caliber, and learn to use iron sights before optical sights.
>>
>>33223956
Generally you want to start with something lighter as a learning tool to preveny forming bad habits, but you should be fine jumping in with a .223 for durr hunting
>>
>>33222302
join the air force.
>>
>>33223310
>selecting the best hot sauce for lube.
go on....
>>
>>33223978
>>33223989
.223 for durr hunting it is

Now I just need to take a class or two to learn how to shoot and take care of guns. I'd be an idiot if I didn't get the gun before I take a class, right?
>>
>>33223671
you're doing God's work, anon. it amazes me that some people out there still dont know that. keep telling the world and maybe someday you can save them all from their glaring stupidity.

what I don't understand is how in 2017 manufacturers still haven't figured out how to make a gun barrel without those twisted imperfections inside the bore. I mean, they can make pipe without those marks, why not gun barrels?
>>
>>33223989
>>33224059
>.223 for durr hunting
anons, some states don't allow such a light caliber for hunting medium game.
>>
>>33224123
Its an ATF regulation. They aren't allowed to make barrels without those twists. Apparently, without the twist imperfections, bullets are fast enough to easily go through police body armor.
>>
>>33224169
The guy is dumb enough to think jumping right in to more expensive ammunition with more recoil will save him time and money in learning to shoot. He's never actually going to get to the point where he goes hunting.
>>
>>33224059
You don't really need a class if you aren't a retard.
1) Treat all guns like they're loaded until you have personally ensured that they are not
2) Know your target and what is behind it; bullets go through things and still have enough energy left to kill on the other side.
3) Don't point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy. This includes while you're walking around not aiming at anything, while loading or doing maintenance on it, while packing up or unpacking, basically always.
4) Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
Bam, you know all you need to know to be safe.

As for taking care of the gun, treat it like you would any other metal tool. Clean it now and then, store it in a dry place. Pretty much any cleaning oil will work fine; also typically don't need to disassemble it to clean it. Just run an oily rag down the barrel a few times, wipe down any moving parts.
>>
>>33224267
>/k/ discourages people from taking classes to learn to shoot

Sounds about right, let me guess, you think pistols are impossible to use past 25yds and 3" groups with a rifle at 100 is good enough?
>>
>>33223769
nobody can give me a simple estimate?
>>
>>33224363
'Pistol ammo' comes in many sized boxes, you are the one that asked a fucktarded question.
>>
>>33224361
3" groups at 100 feet is pretty insane. not like ur gonna need to shoot some dude in the eye or something
>>
>>33224361
No, I just don't think classes are necessary. I think he's better off saving his money for more practice ammo, and googling any questions he might have.

Practice is way more helpful than paying some fat fudd to tell him to hold the gun steadier.
>>
>>33224376
welcome to /k/, asshole!
>>
>>33222969
>I want effectiveness against a man at 0-500 meters out of a 16 inch barrel
get a longer barrel.
>>
how effective is 6.5 Grendel as a hunting caliber? been looking for an excuse to built another AR and don't have a hunting gun yet. people seem to have mixed opinions, but a lot of them seems to be skewed by fuddlore. looking into the rounds characteristics., I don't see why it wouldn't be effective at removing antler.
>>
>>33224739
In theory, well placed 5.56 should still be able to down a deer although it's not ideal. I can't imagine why 6.5 grendel would be bad. But you could always go with .300 blackout or .50 Beowulf
>>
>>33224654
or HE rounds
>>
>>33222969
If you're willing to pay out the ass for 77gr SMKs the military is of the opinion that they're effective enough out to 700m from a 18 in. Should be good out to 500m from a 16 inch. Either way if you want the most out of 5.56 you need a 20 inch barrel.
>>
>>33224739
Quite effective at most common hunting ranges (300yds and in), provided correct bullet selection (IE, not Wolf steel-cased with its bimetal non-expanding bullet).

>>33222969
Literally any of them and shoot either monolithic copper hollowpoints or bonded softpoints.

None of them "blow the fuck up" or icepick, they all have controlled expansion with good penetration. What you are describing is the realm of military ball, which should be avoided at all costs for anything other than target practice.
>>
File: tracker1.jpg (33KB, 650x394px) Image search: [Google]
tracker1.jpg
33KB, 650x394px
Recently picked up a lightly used Taurus Tracker in .357, love everything about it so far, but I haven't shot it just yet. Only flaw I can find is that the barrel is canted about 4-5 degrees to the right, so the front sight is leaning to the right when looking down the sights.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, will this probably affect accuracy? And how difficult is Taurus CS when dealing with warranty repairs? I intend to send it in some time in the future to have it regulated.
>>
>>33224928
How much did you pay?
>>
>>33224961

$250 pre-background check/tax. ~$290 altogether.
>>
>>33224739
I bought mine because I liked the round's trade offs and niche, but I've also used it for hunting. Deer and pigs.

As >>33224778 said, you can hunt with .223 and 6.5 works better. I'd say its closer to .308 in performance than it is to .223. Not saying equivalent to .308 mind, but closer to it than .223.
>>
>>33212880
I'm looking for a nice competition mag/holster for a 92fs/USP. Anyone got recommendations?
>>
>>33213364
they're hit or miss for most models
don't buy without thoroughly inspecting/fingerfucking/firing a box of ammo through it
>>
>>33217087
>i don't know much about wartime earpro usage in the '60s
it was either a cinema fuck-up or they didn't use earpro back then
>>
>>33212880
yes and no.
if you're doing some long distance shooting where small quirks become huge groupings, then it doesn't hurt to do a break in. if you're casually shooting or hunting within 200 yards, you could probably forego it without fucking up your gun
>>
>>33220131
mossberg 500 is worth the money, it could save your life someday
>>
>>33225433
Do you mean magazine pouch and holster or magazine and holster?
>>
>>33225505
You really don't know enough about this topic to be speaking on it do you.
>>
>>33225580
we are on 4chan, is anyone really qualified to talk about anything?
>>
>>33215802
> someone from the audience
> someone they choose from the audience
> someone they choose from the audience after giving them money to play along
>>
File: tmp_530-1455421554465-903596467.jpg (259KB, 460x800px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_530-1455421554465-903596467.jpg
259KB, 460x800px
>>33225588
Fuck man, I don't know, I have some knowledge about pistol shooting, OPpen knew about nukes and shit, I know a guy that takes F class pretty serious. Why is it people that know absolutely nothing about a topic feel like the HAVE to chime in? Like they don't really matter if they don't throw two cents on every single topic? Just shut the fuck up and wait for something you know about to come up, or just ask questions or something, fuck.
>>
>>33212880
It did take an indeterminate number of rounds (hundreds) before my Walther p22 would cycle non cci ammo without stove-piping every few mags.
>>
>>33216983
I would think that alcohol would be enough. I don't imagine doing much target shooting after the rapture. Mostly 1-3 shot hunting trips and the rare shootout with raiders. Going to the range would be wasteful and alert everyone to your local.
>>
File: Gewehr 95.jpg (95KB, 2916x644px) Image search: [Google]
Gewehr 95.jpg
95KB, 2916x644px
>>33212880
It's my understanding that Gewehr 95's cannot be 'topped off' and a new clip has to be inserted to load the rifle, but with the 8mm mauser conversions (The 95/24) I've been unable to google my way to finding out if they take the same clips, no clips at all, or their own slightly different clips.

Anybody here have any insight?
>>
File: 1482622760147.jpg (152KB, 631x457px) Image search: [Google]
1482622760147.jpg
152KB, 631x457px
>>33225640
you seem really flustered that I offered an answer to OP's question
>>
File: 335086.jpg (67KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
335086.jpg
67KB, 880x660px
when installing a barrel nut for an AR15, is there any particular kind of grease I should use, or will basic bitch automotive grease work?
>>
>>33219954
Is that an SKS in an aftermarket stock?
>>
>>33225714
The Dunning Kruger effect is a personal pet peeve. If you don't know, don't speak, you're just making it harder for the rest of us to help people.
>>
>>33225759
>i gave an answer to OP's question
>you give a baseless assumption and get upset about it
thanks for shitting up the thread
>>
>>33225736
SKS/FAL

>>33225728
Anti-seize
>>
>>33223355
Oxidation or just general health, humid environment here.
>>
>>33225793
You. Don't. Have. The. Required. Knowledge. To. Answer. The. Question.

I know this is difficult for you to understand, but you aren't fucking helping by giving vague incorrect responses that sound kinda right if you don't think about it.
>>
>>33224176
It all makes sense now. It's Bullshit, don't they have other things to do other that fuck up a perfectly good bore?
>>
>>33225728
https://www.amazon.com/AeroShell-Extreme-Pressure-Grease-MIL-21164D/dp/B00FSD37CM
>>
>>33225795
the shit I have says it has anti-seize in it. good enough? I know not to use anything with graphite since it corrodes aluminum, apparently.
>>
>>33212880
what does t. stand for?
>>
>>33220061

Valmet M82
>>
>>33225862
IIRC its some /int/ meme that spread to other boards.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with those 80% block lowers? Is it difficult? Is it worth it?
>>
>>33226073
*glock (although there isn't much of a difference)
>>
>>33225862
“t.” is shorthand for terveisin, Finnish for “with regards”

A way of saying why you're relevant to the above.
For example

t. a shitty internet linguist and self taught memeologist
>>
>>33213121
>muh recruiting
Why can't people just admit they got triggered by some guys red hot opinions and they didn't like it?
>>
I bought an SKS as my first gun a while back, and I've yet to fire it. I have not done anything to the rifle, and I'm wondering if I need to clean/inspect it before I shoot it so that it doesn't malfunction. It seems clean, only with some coating on the buttplate(cosmoline?), what should I buy to clean it, and what should I use where? It still has the cleaning kit in the stock. Thanks.
>>
>>33226518
Open her up, use CLP on everything and give it a few minutes to work then wipe or toothbrush clean and spray a little more for lube, wipe the excess away, make absolutely sure the firing pin channel is clean. If there is cosmoline on the stock wipe it down, use a heat gun to sweat it out and repeat. Use a bore snake on the barrel for easy light cleaning.

If there is cosmoline inside boil all metal parts until clean and toss the pot.
>>
>>33226540
Thanks for the response,
Do I need to clean everything or just the barrel + bcg? Do I just dab CLP onto a paper town / hand towel and wipe it with that? As long as I use the bore alignment tool I shouldn't have to worry about damaging the rifling right?
>>
File: cameo.jpg (122KB, 477x841px) Image search: [Google]
cameo.jpg
122KB, 477x841px
What's the name of this jacket?
I imagine it has one of those "Model II Oak M42 Dot" names.
>>
>>33226572
>Do I need to clean everything or just the barrel + bcg?
Depends on how dirty it is.

>Do I just dab CLP onto a paper town / hand towel and wipe it with that?
I buy the big can and spray it in there but I'm kinda wasteful

>As long as I use the bore alignment tool I shouldn't have to worry about damaging the rifling right?
Yeah but it's a pain, boresnake is faster
>>
>>33226637
Sounds good, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>33226140
everybody projects. whatever they assume about you, they're doing.
if they assume you are corrupt, it's because they are.
if they assume you are a cho-mo, it is because they diddle kiddys.
if they assume you are acting purely in good faith, it's because they are massively naive.
>>
Question about getting CCW (Ohio.)
(6) Are you under indictment for or otherwise charged with a felony, or have you ever been convicted of or
pleaded guilty to a felony, or have you ever been adjudicated as a delinquent child for committing an
act that would be a felony if committed by an adult?
I have a juvenile concealed weapons charge (knife.) Was charged with a misdemeanor and had probation and community service. In Ohio the concealed weapons charge laws are in the grey area. "Most" non gun charges are misdemeanor. I don't want to risk getting denied over "most." Should I answer no to that question? Or say yes and risk getting denied.
>>
>>33216646
if you make it abundantly clear that it was a PAST attempt, and you dont want that, and you are doing better, you should be in the clear unless they are extremely overzealous

t. psych grad student
>>
>>33217087
back then it was kinda accepted to be fucked up hearing-wise.

Some people would take pistol rounds as ear plugs, but most people came back with minor hearing damage (or a lot).

EEEEEEEE
>>
>>33215285

pretty much this. >>33215356

if she likes you, she'll stick around and accept it, even if she never partakes. if she's so strung up about it because muh libral ideulz she'll leave and you won't have to worry about it

It works both ways though, kinda like >>33215356 said
>>
>>33219954
odor damage can be hard to repair. You can try a couple things.

1- animal urine cleaner works EXTREMELY well at removing smells from furniture and carpet. Try that on a chair and see if that helps.

2- steam cleaning services may be able to help

3- if all else fails, paint the walls

4- candles and incense and oils can at least override bengay
>>
So, I want to build an AR. Is it okay to use a rifle-length stock on a carbine-length gas system?
>>
Can anyone recommend /k/ or shtf related podcasts?

I've been listening to The Survival Podcast and it's pretty good but I need more material. All the gun laws just bitch about gun politics.

What I'm looking for is actual, technical firearm discussion and reviews, and SHTF related news, like about North Korea and Russia and whatever else might be turning into dangerous global conflict.
>>
>>33222302
i, too, have this question. too old for military.
>>
>>33222302
>>33227239
Don't they have "Tactical camps" run by ex mil guys? I feel like I've heard of that before. I know for sure there's a ton of wilderness survival camps, and it seems like a good market to tap for all the unemployed veterans out there right now.
>>
>>33216983
You do know you can filter used motor oil right?
>>
>>33227116
>clean house with piss
>now instead of smelling like smoke your house can smell like piss
>>
>>33224230
by that logic the anon should get a cheap cricket .22 and a savage axis .308
>>
>>33227266
He said urine cleaner, not urine.

Way to waste dubs, faggot.
>>
>>33225576
Yeah
>>
>>33226518
The SKS doesn't have a firing pin spring, so make sure that the firing pin moves freely in the bolt or else risk a slam fire.
>>
alright /k/ QTDDTOT, i recently acquired a FEG high power. it only came with one magazine so i was on the market for a second, found one (13 rounder too!) but the problem im having is that i have to waste an immense amount of time making sure it stays in the magwell. is there a viable and sure/safe way to modify the magazine so it fits flush or should i just look for another?
>>
>>33215667
You want to post a full blood black before continuing your outliner meme?
>>
>>33220131
You'll want two barrels to do that. As you want a full length barrel to for a shotgun you'll do anything realistic with and a short barrel for putting 00 Buck at someone in your hallway.

However the maverick 88 is better if you plan on doing heavy use and don't mind replacing shit when it breaks as you'll still come out ahead. The 500 is slightly better from the factory. Forend is a different more reliable design.

As far as either gun goes, you'll want to check for if it's choked or not because both have models that are not choked.
>>
File: KofSCS_soldier_M95M.jpg (124KB, 760x768px) Image search: [Google]
KofSCS_soldier_M95M.jpg
124KB, 760x768px
>>33225710
The M.95M and M95/24 use standard Mauser 98 8x57mm stripper clips. Their magazines have been modified so that a permanent metal clip/bracket sits inside the magazine to keep the rounds centered over the follower, fulfilling the role of the en-bloc clip. The hole in the floor of the magazine is closed off.

Because of this, they can also be loaded using individual rounds.
>>
>>33213364
the revolvers are decent but the semi autos are dogshit
>>
>>33223978
There is zero reason to ever use iron sights.

Fundamentals apply to any magnified scope as well and thus can be taught or learned from using it

>YouTube iron sight shooting instructions, apply to 1500 super stalker 3000 day time scope.
>>
>>33224361
Most rifles can barely 3-inch group at a hundred yards...

Fuck most pistols are not full sized match machines.

You're literally retarded.

t. Someone who's better than you.
>>
>>33215780

>What is follow-through
>>
>>33222799
>The PT92 is a good gun for the price and has the best QC
Wrong. Don't even pretend anything they make is worth paying for
>>
>>33226106
I like the cut of your jib, you're very qualified.
>>
After the glock, what handgun can boast similar durability and aftermarket support?
>>
>>33215378

That's anticipating recoil.

Start on a low recoil gun and work up to what you feel comfortable with. I went from a Marlin 60, to a hipoint carbine, to a Stevens 12 gauge, to a mosin. Now I shoot my AR pretty well because I went down from the nugget and shotgat.

TL;DR accept the fact that your gun recoils
>>
>>33226847
I'd ask either a lawyer or local LEO
>>
File: 20170307_112528.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170307_112528.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
Do I need a crush washer for this, it's for 300 AAC Blk
>>
File: 20170307_112557.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170307_112557.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>>33228336
>>
File: 20170307_113151.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170307_113151.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>>33228351
>>
>>33228336
>>33228351
>>33228386
Screws on, if so yeah, yeah you do. I guess you could loctight it and be alright, however that'll be nigger rigged as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5C4URJTcE

Hope this helps.
>>
>>33226106
Is there any other kind of memeologist yet?
>>
>>33226836
t. liberal

So racists are secretly niggers?
>>
>>33228109
Most rifles are 2moa or better at 100yds, and I can pop birthday balloons at 100 with snub nosed revolvers.

Get good you fucking scrub.

>>33228082
I know you think you're being funny, but if you don't feel bad for possibly fucking up a new shooter by spouting bullshit you belong on /b/
>>
>>33229023
Most rifles are sub two moa.

Maybe with match ammo. Go ahead and name me five normal rifles that are sub moa.

Also, I hit a propane tank at 150 yards in one shot with my pistol. Does that mean that's the standard? Does that mean I could do it 20/20? So basically, you're shit fucking retarded and should probably go back to practicing with irons until you can talk guns with the big boys.
>>
>>33229214
Sub 2 moa.*
>>
>>33227874
I see. So when a round is chambered, the primer is supposed to push the firing pin backwards, but if if can't move, it hits it with the full force? Is that why slamfires empty the magazine?
>>
>>33229214
Are you retarded? Or just a shit flinging troll?
>>
>>33213087
Fuddlore
>>
>>33229214
Why did you jump from claiming people can't group better than 3 MOA down to asking that anon to give you the names of sub-MOA rifles. You sound like a drunk ass clown.

To return to the original thesis: >>33228109 that "most" rifles can't group 3 inches at 100 yards (3MOA), I'll say your 'tarded. I don't think I own a rifle that groups worse than 2 MOA. My Hog Hunter rifle is sub-MOA and my AR is 1-1.5 MOA. My RPK is about 2 MOA.

I've seen plenty of dudes consistently be able to hit IPSC targets at 50+ yards with decent groups. I can hit paper plates at 30 yards with my basic bitch Glock 4/5 shots. And I'm not a super shooter. Just practice and time.

You're being seriously ass clowny.
>>
Selling my LC9 soon. Worth it to try and flip it on Armslist (I live in a rural area, no particularly foul players here) or bring it to LGS and trade?
>>
>scar has a 13" sbr barrel for the 17

Fucking why? Wouldn't 5.56 at that point be more effective?
>>
>>33230767
Fast swapping a small amount of hardware without having to change out all your mags/potentionally your whole setup is nice.
>>
>>33230716
You will always get more in private sale because you are selling to the guy the LGS will try to sell to, but the LGS has to low ball you to make a profit.

>>33230703
Holy shit thank you for chiming in, I was beginning to feel like this was some twilight zone horror where it was just me and some retard.
>>
File: desert eagle.jpg (104KB, 1600x999px) Image search: [Google]
desert eagle.jpg
104KB, 1600x999px
I have a question about the desert eagle .50ae. I often hear a lot of people on this board say that they are pretty useless and can be beaten by other handguns that will do the same damage whilst being a bit more easy to use or better in performance. Can you guys give me some examples of guns that will match the Desert Eagle .50AE in power but be better in other areas such as price, accuracy, ease of shooting and handling, and ballistics. I'm asking about both use in combat or self defence.

Thanks guys!
>>
Im confused as to what furniture the SLR104's take. On itonwood designs, the have the 104's listed as takig the same as an AKS74, but is that really just any milspec ak74 furniture without the buttstock? Or is it legitimatley differet in size?
>>
>>33230859
S&W .500
Redhawk 454
LAR Grizzly
WhyAreYouNotJustUsing10mm

However, I found the .50AE Desert Eagle to be quite shootable at 100yds, I would strongly advise shooting several of the options and deciding what suits you better.
>>
>>33230859
>I'm asking about both use in combat or self defence.

Is this satire?
>>
>>33230859
Not much aside from a heavy duty relovler magnum cartridge matches it in raw kinetic energy ("power"). However, the kind of energy it is delievering is massively overkill for a pistol application, short of shooting at bears. The 9mm/.45/.40 range is consistently deadly enough while being easier to handle.

For combat applications, speed and ease of use are important. Also, handguns are rarely used in combat, meaning that most of the time a Juan Deag is nothing more than a massive paperweight where you could have carried useful gear.
>>
>>33230930
yeah i actually didnt mean to write that
>>
How are WASR-2s in comparison to other AK-74s? Is it a weapon I should just save my money for something else, or a good buy?
>>
>>33231129
I was wondering the same thing, then i decided fuck it, ill just get an slr104. More accurate, a little better build, and has a warranty if anything is fucked on it. The extra 300-400 is worth it IMO
>>
>>33231151
Thanks
>>
Is california ever going to have not-shit gun laws again? I dont want to move but i also want 30 round magazines.
>>
>>33231283
Gotta purge the high population centers
>>
>>33228167
>durability
just about all of the common brands
>aftermarket
ehh, M&P would be my guess.
>>
>>33230703
you and your boyfriend are both retarded faggots. 4/5 is not consistent and therefor evidence against you.

>2MOA instead of your original 3 MOA

because your goddamn husband said most rifles are 2 moa, or are you fucking illiterate too? And No the fuck your RPK is not two MOA regardless of what bubba told you when he sold it to your fudd ass.

>>33230846
hurry back to r3ddit so you can upboat your hypothesizes into fucking fuddlore without misleading new shooters.
>>
Who here would be entertained if I bought a .40 Hipoint and turned into a HoodKang blaster? I have like $220-ish I got from a scratch-off to blow.
>>
>>33232882
Like hundred dollar bill print and homeboy sights?

probably not much... Certainly more fun guns at a raw value. like a 22-250 at less than 300 bucks. However, I'm not here to try and stop you, have at it Killah.
>>
>>33232919
I'm talking gold paint and a bedazzler
>>
>>33232932
It would give off the wrong impression from what I believe you're attempting to achieve. I would recommend a more practical firearm within the same price range.

>Imagine shooting skeet with a gold maverick 88.

Just the intense looks of disgust from other patrons would be worth it to me.

However, it's your money. I genuinely like the idea of owning a gold desert 50ae but I don't think I could do it to a high point. Maybe if you do pistol comp and would use it. The purpose of such an monstrosity should be to rub it in peoples faces whilst out performing them at their hobby which you're making fun of.
>>
>>33232768
Did (you) just have a stroke?
>>
>>33233202
I take it you've just been pretending to be a retard this whole time because you were upset and didn't like the way I insulted you while correcting your misinformation?
>>
>>33233738
Australia or Europe? What noguns shithole are you from where you think spreading misinformation on how to use a deadly tool is funny? Or are you just a sad little shit with a worthless life and makung others angrh is all you have?

Remember, in ten years, when you commit suicide, use a shotgun
>>
>>33233796
The United States.
Or can you not tell from my mannerisms?

Which kiddie videogame taught you that you have to level up your iron sight skill to unlock a scope? How many groups did you have to exclude to get your boasted MOA? How many more shitposts are you going to make? Don't you have a mosin somewhere to accurize?
>>
>>33233834
>WA/CA/OR/NJ aren't the USA, try again

>I already corked my mosin barrel, shimmed the receiver, and touched up the trigger

>Did the BB gun your single mother got you come with a scope installed and you never learned to use irons? Because that's sad.

I love it when I see you people at the range fumbling over everything you're doing and scared shitless to ask for help, but you need to stop projecting your insecurities online.
>>
>>33233922
Okay you got a laugh out of me, instead of another several hours of name calling here's my point.

I did learn on iron sights. Always struggled consistent sight picture between removing my eye and replacing it with ghost ring rear sight apertures. Never enough to matter outside of competitive level shooting. However with a scope I could easily practice out that issue after properly adjusting it's height and sight relief to me as much as possible. As with a scope you want a hint of fuzz equally around the entire field of view. Finally, that allows you to ensure you're sure as fuck looking through the very center of a scope whereas with iron sights you won't know until you look at your target and your new shit hot group is in a different spot from that last.
>>
File: 1466391564331.png (74KB, 840x564px) Image search: [Google]
1466391564331.png
74KB, 840x564px
How would olive oil or Crisco work on a black powder revolver after cleaning?
I heard petroleum based lubricants and black powder create a tar like gunk to build up in the barrel.
>>
>>33234071
Fuck, are we being real people now? I thought I would have a good shit flinging time waster for work tonight.

I predominantly shoot handguns so I've, thankfully, worked with irons enough to mitigate those issues. What optics do you favor on your rifles? I'm broke as shit so Vortex and SWFA have been my go to.
>>
File: IMG_20161207_163604206.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161207_163604206.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
>>33234138
The shit flinging lasted my entire business day... Haha

I suppose it really depends on lots of factors. Given no limit on price I'm running straight to Duracell and FLIR and going full supersoldier, regardless of gun. I have a acog, kind of unsatisfying yet does improve the human element of accuracy in a little comparison between me and two friends. (One is a typical 40 for 40 from basic until retirement shooter the other never shot an AR before and I'm on the better end of in-between) we used my AR and the 40-40 man's rifle and we consistently produced tighter groups with same ammo and the much cheaper rifle with acog over his red dot at close enough range that target clarity wasn't an issue. Which is great, because the acog doesn't need adjustment. Install zero. Shoot. Acog is best with adjustable stock unless you're exactly 6'4 because it's short eye relief.

However, I can't compare the acog to vortex as I've never used any of them and don't think I've bought any gun stuff since after they came out anyway.

My other scope is a Leupold mark some thing or other. It's fine, but I think for the thousand bucks I spent I should have just spent another few thousand to buy a Flir. (I'm a big fan of them after using one on a machinegun range)

Tl:Dr vortex is probably even good without considering the price.
>>
>>33228047
Awesome, now I want to find one for sale even more.
>>
File: download_20170211_121203.png (163KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
download_20170211_121203.png
163KB, 500x281px
>>33212880
I want a K98 or more so a G98 but I can't really find one , any help?
>>
do you generally have to sign for ammo shipments, or is ammo treated like any other parcel? I work all day so I can't usually be there to sign for it.
>>
>>33235765
depends on where you ordered it from and if you paid extra for insurance
>>
>>33217082
AKM
>>
File: PI9129LP_1200x782.png (794KB, 1200x782px) Image search: [Google]
PI9129LP_1200x782.png
794KB, 1200x782px
Planning on picking up a Springfield 1911 Range Officer in 45 ACP soon. Is it a decent 1911? I've been needing some fuddy-five stoppin' powah in my life.
>>
>>33212880
im thinking of getting a shotgun and all these shell types and chokes are confusing the shit out of me. which of these do i want for cheap skeet shooting, deer hunting, and home defense? also which chokes should i use for each one?
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 1144x20px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 1144x20px
>>33236776
oops forgot pic
>>
>>33236776
Those don't appear to be chokes unless it's a format I'm unfamiliar with. Also, I feel like you're giving chokes too much complication. Sounds like a specific and broad enough question for YouTube.

But then again I did accidentally blow a shotgun in half, and it wouldn't be fair to give advice without warning you.
>>
>>33236923
the mossberg 500 comes with full, improved, and modified chokes i think. those are the ones i was asking about, i didn't even know there were other ones
>>
>>33212880
I believe breaking in is more like sighting your rifle but that defeats the purpose when there are multiple bullet weights and loads to chose from. However the firearm industry is full of marketing memes.
>>
>>33237008
you pattern the gun with the shot you are going to use and pick the choke you thought made the best pattern.
best depends on personal preference you might suck and want it to spread the fuck out for increased chances of hitting something or you might want it tight. changing ammo brands will change the pattern too.
patterning is shooting birdshot into cardboard or a big sheet of paper at like 25 yards out and seeing what it looks like.
>>
>>33213097
/Pol is great and all but sometimes it needs to stay there.
>>
File: Yoke Closed.jpg (80KB, 999x1163px) Image search: [Google]
Yoke Closed.jpg
80KB, 999x1163px
I can't find anyone that mentions it anywhere being a problem, but I'm curious - would leaving your revolver on its side for a long period of time widen the gap between the yolk and the frame? It's clearly temporarily doing so at least slightly when I lay my S&W down.

Talking about the gap in the pic
>>
File: 1485015791566.jpg (44KB, 617x627px) Image search: [Google]
1485015791566.jpg
44KB, 617x627px
>>33214582
what sort of bait is this
>>
I'm practicing my marksmanship principles before I get into more serious shooting by shooting groups at lots of 6 targets at 100 yards.
Should I shoot 3 or 5 round groups?
Pic related
>>
>>33237444
yes, if you leave it for at least a hundred years. In your case something is wrong with the locking lug or the recess in the frame
>>
Does anyone have a definitive list of the calibers that can feasibly be fed through an SR-25 magwell?

I mean calibers that currently exist not shit that could be feasibly developed.

The only ones that come to immediate mind are 30-30 and 300 savage and .248 Winchester.
>>
>>33238012
Either is fine, I'd go for 5 since it'd require consistency to get them in a good group.
>>
I'm a newb and I don't get what makes an AR-15 an AR-15. For example, I can get the AR-556 for $500: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_SR-556. But it doesn't say AR-15 but it's says it's an entry into the AR-15 market but it's not called an AR-15. I don't understand and I don't understand why more people don't not-understand the way I'm not-understanding this.

Also why so many 16" barrels instead of 18"?
>>
>>33238373
Also to add on to that question, if I bought an AR-556 would it be semantically or colloquially accurate to say "I own an AR-15" or is an AR-556 simply an AR-556.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing some key concept that will make this all make sense.
>>
>>33238373
Companies have their own distinct designations so that the brand name stands out. The SR-556 though is a piston not a traditional impingement AR. That's another reason for the different name.

16 inch barrels are the shortest you can legally get away with in a standard rifle that isn't NFA. If people didn't have that restriction, you probably see even shorter barrels being more common. If somebody wants a long barrel they usually just go full 20 instead of 18.
>>
>>33238389
AR-15 is the general design, AR-556 implies a specific manufacturer. Both are correct, one is more specific.

Do yo own a car or a Honda? If you own a Honda you also own a car, right?
>>
>>33238373
>Also why so many 16" barrels instead of 18"?
Because there's a big market of "tactical" wannabes and the current US military primarily uses the M4 carbine instead of the M16. But because of the NFA you can't have a barrel that's any shorter than 16 so that's the shortest a manufacturer can make them for civilians.
>>
>>33238421
>>33238411
Pretty sure reading these responses triggered dopamine release in my brain for some reason, I can feel it. Thanks, now I'm starting to get it.

So that means with the AR-556 I can mod it with parts for AR-15s?

I'm asking because I'm finding the process of building an AR-15 to be overwhelming. There are a shit-ton of options, and moreover I don't know what any of those options really get me because I have no frame of reference for even the basic feel of holding one, let alone shooting one. So it's like why would I want a specific part not knowing what benefits it's actually going to confer. Buying something complete in the $500 range seems like a good starting point for me assuming I wouldn't lose any modularity by going that route.

Open to any advice tho

>>33238431
I read an article that compared the performance of 16/18/20 and 18" just seemed like a good compromise based on the numbers, but again I have no frame of reference for what matters in the real world.
>>
>>33213058
A WW2 "Grand Slam" bomb pushed its way though 4.5m of reinforced concrete with its own sheer weight
>>
>>33238373
>but it's not called an AR-15.
"AR-15" is a trademark of Colt Defence LLC but the design patents have long since expired. This is the natural result.
>Also why so many 16" barrels instead of 18"?
Negligible terminal performance increases. If it's fast enough to fragment then it's fast enough. Extra energy isn't bad but it's not worth the length to most people.
>>
>>33238445
You can swap out uppers on an SR556 lower. Since the SR556 upper is piston, the guts aren't comparable with standard impingement (""""direct impingement""""). Stick with a fully direct impingement design for easiest compatibility for a first rifle.

Barrel length affects muzzle velocity. If you don't care about getting high fragmentaion at 800+ meters, a long barrel doesn't mean much. Most people who want HD, competition, or a normal range toy aren't shooting more than 150 yards tops where muzzle velocity doesn't matter and they want lighter and easier to maneuver. I can tell you that in a competition that dings you in barrel discipline a couple of inches on a barrel makes shooting a different experience.

If you've given up high speed maneuverability and want high frag at range then no reason to compromise at 18 when oh can eek out a bit more velocity and resting weapon weight with a 20.
>>
>>33238445
Parts like the stock, grip, rails/handguard etc can all be swapped out freely. The upper itself has to be compatible with your gas system. Oh and your gas system may or may not be ideal for your barrel length if you get a different barrel. Idk if the AR556 used a carbine length gas system or not
>>
>>33238557
>>33238471
>Since the SR556 upper is piston, the guts aren't comparable with standard impingement (""""direct impingement""""). Stick with a fully direct impingement design for easiest compatibility for a first rifle.
>The upper itself has to be compatible with your gas system. Oh and your gas system may or may not be ideal for your barrel length if you get a different barrel.
This rabbit hole goes pretty fucking deep. Thanks for the tips though.
>>
File: 1124161726.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1124161726.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>33214014
The classic bullet catch trick involves a slight of hand where the real bullet ends up in the mouth, and the gun ends up with a wax bullet that shatters the pane of glass.

Pic unrelated, some fine ass scotch.
>>
>>33215285
360 and moonwalk away you faggot.
>>
>>33215602
Try midwayusa dawt com
>>
>>33223761
J22 should immediately be turned in at a gun buyback for 200, put it towards a real pistol.
>>
>>33235219
Just make sure the internal clip is still present. Many of them have had it lost during disassembly. Some guys on the Surplus Rifle Forum are talking about making reproduction though; I hope to convince them to do so; I'd buy one or two even though I don't have a rifle yet.

Also make sure it has the correct modified bolt head, body, and extractor.
http://candrsenal.com/rifle-yugoslavian-mannlicher-m95m-and-m9524/
>>
File: Gew98_2-22-2017_A_1024.jpg (710KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Gew98_2-22-2017_A_1024.jpg
710KB, 768x1024px
>>33235742
Gunbroker, Liberty Tree Collectors, Simpson Ltd. Rock Island Auction, James D. Julia, and leave your name and contact info with your local gun shops and tell them what you're in the market for.
>>
>>33217611
>>33217658
If it's a weak handload, wouldn't the velocity be low enough to be subsonic? This could be demonstrated with a high speed camera.
>>
>>33238915
You could also swab the slug for powder residue. e
>>
What's the legality of making and storing black powder for personal use in a BP musket?

I'm thinking of making a total of like 6oz in 1oz batches.
>>
>>33238843
Thanks for the handy link, if I ever do find one around I'll know what to look for. Much appreciated /k/omrade!
>>
>>33238938
>making
Felony if you take it off your private property without license to manufacture and transport or sell it without license to distribute.
>storing
Perfectly legal without hassle under 10 pounds.

It's also one of those "How can you prove I made this?" things like 922(r) though. If you got it from a licensed manufacturer and distributor you're fine, and if you say you did that's basically it.
>>
>>33218399
Machinist here. Anything milled or stamped is never perfect especially with guns. Has nothing to do with quality or craftsmanship.
>>
>>33239306
So if it was kosher to shoot on private land, I can make it on that land and use it there? Sweet.

I don't plan to sell it or even use it regularly compared to commercial powder, I just want to try it and see if I can do it.
>>
As far I know, wood is pretty shitty cover against bullets, but how would fire-hardened wood work?
>>
>>33239879
More brittle, probably a worse defence. It wouldn't stop a bullet much better and instead of splintering to localize damage it'd probably crumble under enough damage.
>>
>>33238915
I've thought of that as well, each time they've fired on television it's been a 24fps program which probably wouldn't capture a bullet going even extremely slow over a distance of ~20ft. Probably really helps sell the idea that it's a full power round, and given their history with showbiz I'm certain they're aware of that.
>>
>>33238609
But that doesn't account for the marked bullet aspect. Even if they did switch the bullets, they'd have no way to efficiently separate the case from the bullet itself and present it as "fired"
>>
>>33239895
Aren't ceramic plates brittle, too?
It's hard for armor to stop a bullet and be still fine after it, ceramic plates shatter after hit, but keep you alive.
I thought it may work similar in case of wood.
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-08+at+11.03.59).jpg (211KB, 891x1180px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-08+at+11.03.59).jpg
211KB, 891x1180px
Anyone know why an M59/66 SKS would fail to feed from the left side of the mag? It keeps shoving the round into the back ridge of the barrel and I'm pretty sure it's inserted properly.
>>
>>33238431
>you can't have a barrel that's any shorter than 16

how come iraqveteran8888 could build this ar with a 4" barrel? is it because it's a .22 or do you have to get some kind of permit or some shit? i was thinking about building one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyxHvts2vTE
>>
Does the M82A2 20mm single shot upper actually exist?
>>
>>33220605
>not just turning your house into an actual workshop and getting that sweet smelling sawdust all over your carpet.
>>
>>33221560
Looks like someone's home-made creation. Either that, or some small business' creation.
>>
looking at a fun that has le/mil/first responder discount, couple hundred cheaper. Does /k/ think I can just show an emt license? I am not employed as one, but it's current.
>>
My brother found a 2013 ACOG 4x32 fiber for $550, what are the odds for a knock off? Good deal or not?
>>
new thread when?
>>
>>33241091
No.
There is no upper or lower to it either.
>>
>>33240402
I have issues like this on a milsurp bolt action with a mismatched mag.

In my case, I think it's an issue with the feed lips on the left side of the mag. Maybe it's the same with yours.
>>
>>33240432
I sort of misspoke. You have to get permission from the ATF to build a short barrel rifle or shotgun, which is any barrel shorter than 16 inches. My bad.

I think it's like 200 dollars to get the clearance.
>>
Can I save money by building a .22?

I want a shitty plinking/practice gun. Budget is $100 absolutely max. Used gun market in my area is fuck terrible, no long gun for sale less than $250 even old .22s.

Can I just get like an ultra cheap parts kit and receiver and build one?
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.