[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/anada fag here. also first time gun buyer just recently got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: RUSGUN9130-right-NObayonet-D.jpg (22KB, 800x118px) Image search: [Google]
RUSGUN9130-right-NObayonet-D.jpg
22KB, 800x118px
/k/anada fag here.
also first time gun buyer

just recently got my PAL card and thinking about getting a Mosin Nagant, I hear a lot of pros and cons about this rifle but I can't NOT buy one seeing as how it's a 200$ rifle and the ammo is dirt cheap, but I need some better opinions on this rifle before I go spending money I could be spending on something a little better for my first gun. Some of the bad things I heard about this rifle is

Sticky bolt
Bad sights
Hard to clean/maintain
Something about cosmoline being bad and hard to remove

i appreciate any serious help on buying the perfect first rifle also remember I am in Canada so my choices are limited
>>
>>33204162
You can also get a Russian sks for this price buy an sks instead
>>
Buy something cool like a mauser 71/84. that way you dont need to go through all the paper work to buy it or ship it
>>
>>33204162
AusFag here, Sticky bolt is dependant on a few things , can be cosmoline or some kind of mechanical issue , but neither my 91/30 nor M38 has sticky bolt , sights are bad , easy to clean , cosmoline is a pain to remove.

Other than that , I enjoy owning both mosins
>>
>>33204194
is there any way to fix the bad sights, or do they just go bad again after a few shots or bumps?
>>
>>33204168
This. I did this instead of a Mosin and I am so happy I did. SKS are a blast to shoot.
>>
>>33204162
Canuck here, I hardly shoot my mosin. Id recommend an sks for shootability, or something like a k31 (400-500$) or a Swedish M96 (400-500$) for a shootable/collectable bolt action
>>
To get all the cosmoline crap off I soaked my bold in paint thinner for about 24 hours, then hot washed it and lubed it properly. No more sticky bolt
>>
>>33204236
Bolt, not bold. Fucking auto complete
>>
>>33204202
They're bad in the sense that they suck to aim with vs something like an M1 style sight. As far as I know there's no aftermarket sights for the mosin outside of buying a scope.

Bolt actions aren't particularly difficult to clean. You take the bolt out and it's basically a tube. I've never used a mosin before but I don't think they would be any more difficult than any other bolt action. You do have to take one extra step if you're firing corrosive ammo in any gun, that being pouring hot water down the barrel to neutralize the salts, and then cleaning like normal.

Cosmoline isn't really bad. Its put on the gun to preserve it and prevent rust. It does require a bit of elbow grease to remove but there's a ton of methods that work to remove it.

I'd honetly pay the extra 50 bucks for an SKS, since they're more fun and reliable. You can always get a moron later.
>>
>>33204254
Meant mosin, not moron. Autocorrect. Also forgot to mention that the prices of SKS rifles are allegedly going to go up. I doubt mosins are gonna jump in price.
>>
>>33204202
there are many after market sight adaptors like the rock solid mount or brass stacker.
>>
>>33204260
Moron Nigger , I mean Mosin Nagant.
>>
>>33204254
7.62x39mm is cheaper and recoils less. Both good for a new shooter as well.
>>
>>33204162
>first time gun buyer
Mosin and 7.62x54mmR will literally kick your shit. You will develop a twitch where you'll "dodge" your own firearm just so you don't dislocate your shoulder. It's bad practice, especially when that twitch sticks around when you shoot other firearms, like AR15, which are basically nothing in terms of recoil.

Just get an SKS. It's also been used in the Soviet Union, semi-auto, and 7.62x39mm is cheap, abundant and won't kill you.
>>
>>33204162
Not all mosins have a sticky bolt and this can be fixed if you want to spend the time to polish the bolt. It's crude compared to some bolts and you really need to mam handle / slap it to get a round out and in.
Sights are not that bad there like anything else with iron sights.
The only problem with cleaning is corrosive ammo so you have to make sure you get the salt out of it if your shooting surplus ammo
Cosmoline is not hard to remove in fact I would equate it to a bonding experiance with your new gun. Soak every metal part in mineral spirits (you can get this at any local home improvement store)it will cut the consoling right of it and then take a heat gun to the stock and it will bubble it right out. From there deside how you would like to finish the stock. I recently did a yugo sks so it had blonde wood I just put a coat of boiled linseed oil on.
I would suggest tho if you can get an sks for 200 it's a better and more fun option.
>>
File: 14853330271662.jpg (1MB, 2560x1707px) Image search: [Google]
14853330271662.jpg
1MB, 2560x1707px
>>33204162
American here, since you live in Canada and can get Russian SKSs for cheap I'd go that route first then get a nugget if your milsurp boner requires more

Also those problems aren't a big deal
>Sticky bolt
Just clean the shit out of your bolt and chamber and you'll be fine
>Bad sights
It's a slav rifle, not a K31. >rifle is fine
>Hard to clean
This is a lie, bolt comes out super easy and the rifle already comes with a cleaning rod
>Cosmoline hard to remove
From the metal not really but when it's in the stock it can be tricky for a first time gun owner to remove it
>>
SKS hands down OP. If you really want a bolt action rifle please just get a yugoslav mauser m48. They're basically factory new german k98s made in yugoslavia. Really excellent rifles.
>>
>>33204440
What gun is this?
>>
>>33204397
I have fired larger calibers before, I can handle my firearms fine, FIRST TIME BUYER not first time shooter.
>>
get an ak or beretta instead
>>
>>33204739
AKs are banned in Canada.
>>
Don't buy milsurp if you aren't a collector. Get a 22 or a modern bolt gun if you want a bolt action.
>>
>>33204801
Vz.58 is a good substitute
>>
>>33204162
Lots of mosin hate, dang y'all. I think they're great. The sights aren't the best but the sight radius on the M91/30 helps me shoot it better than anything else that I've tried with irons. Cosmoline isn't that bad, you just have to take it apart and spray it down with maximum hot tap water if you have a sprayer doodad in your sink.

The recoil isn't really that bad and adds to the fun factor imo. If you find a nice one for a reasonable price I say go for it.
>>
>>33204864
i love my mosin i would just prefer an sks if its the same price point
>>
I have a CZ858 right now. I was thinking of diversifying my gun collection by either buying an SKS or a Mosin. Is the SKS such a different shooter to the 858?
>>
>>33204162
Hello fellow citizen of Canuckistan, glad to hear you got your PAL!

For a first rifle it's hard to go wrong with either a Mosin, or an SKS. They are both priced reasonably, ammo is easy to find and often times very reasonably priced. Even if you want to just run out and blast off say a quick fifty rounds, you can buy Barnaul non-corrosive FMJ's for either rifle that is priced incredibly reasonably, plus the plethora of surplus options.

Both have similar sights, pretty simple to use but yes, they aren't the best out there. Speaking specifically on the Mosin it does depend on how well you clean the cosmoline out of it, and to a certain degree how well your rifle goes together as to how sticky the bolt is. I lucked out with my two Mosins, my 91/30 is the smoothest I've ever picked up and tried out, and the M44 is slightly more sticky but not enough to ever cause issue or even to really notice that much. Neither an SKS nor a Mosin are hard to clean or maintain, Mosins are even a little more simple than an SKS but SKS' are also really easy to figure out. Cosmoline will take some time to get out but it's worth it considering the condition of the rifle after it's cleaned out.

Personally, I got a Mosin first, and I think that had to do with me enjoying the x54r rifles a little more than the SKS, though I love both. I would suggest either, however the main things to consider are, SKS prices are rising currently while Mosin prices are fairly stable. And, perhaps most importantly, what do you like better, a bolt action that shoots a more stout round, or a semi automatic that shoots a little less stout of a round.

However, I do honestly believe that unless you like the cheapness of the rifles and their round over others, or you're like me and love the history, the simple construction, and the memes, you may be disappointed when comparing it to something else.
>>
>>33204455
It's an AKM that someone nig rigged into a bullpup
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.