[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone red pill me on the DSA SA 58, is it worth the price?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: F1DSA5818.jpg (83KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
F1DSA5818.jpg
83KB, 800x520px
Someone red pill me on the DSA SA 58, is it worth the price? Any problems with it? Is it a good FAL?
>>
>>33187818
>red pill
Yeah, buy the voyager, you're going to love it DSA produces nothing but quality products friend.
>>
they're decent FALs.

though if you want to buy a complete and new .308 rifle. get an AR10 instead.
>>
>>33187818
I got a voyager, 1k in it so far and no problems. Used both brown bear and German surplus.
>>
>>33187844
>>33187849
>>33187863
I HAVE a voyager and haven't had any actual problems with it, but something about the wording of these posts leads me to believe this is trolling. Also, I've only put IWI rounds through it. Go figure. dirty as fuck.
>>
>not 21"
>cast
>homo rear sight
>bipod cut HG
>no carry handle
>>
>>33187818
Bought one, didn't eject any ammo (PPU, Austrian surplus). 200 Rounds later, sent it back (on DSA's dime); 2 weeks later it was on my doorstep and has ran like a top ever since. I don't doubt that real FN, imbel or part kit guns may be of better quality, but having warranty support it pretty clutch.
>>
>>33188524
You can buy one with a 21" barrel
>>
>>33188524
Can you buy an aftermarket carry handle and install it?
>>
>>33188524
Mine is
>"21 inch
>no carry handle... yet
>yeah, type III cast, but I don't think I'll likely shoot it enough to find out the difference for a few years.
>pretty sexy fixed stock and plastic handguards.
>will change rear sight.

so... what even IS the difference between cast and forged?
>>
so, what is the best non FN FAL??
>>
>>33188862
or rephrased, what is the best FAL type i can buy in the states?
>>
>>33187818
my only complaint about the voyager is that sometimes they use surplus furniture instead of new. otherwise they've always worked fine with brown/silver bear, wolf WPA, IMI, DAG, SA milsurp, and Malaysian L2A2.

i've tried some GMM but the best grouping from a sled i've gotten is like 3 MOA. they don't seem to be terribly good at being a match rifle.
>>
>>33188524
>implying investment cast steel, hardened and machined properly, isn't adequate to meet the price/performance point for the product line.
also there is a 21" variation on their premium line, the rear sight is cost reduced locally made instead of milsurp, and the carry handle was an additional cost.

basically, buy a premium for $400 more if you want a "better" rifle.
>>
>>33188788
>so... what even IS the difference between cast and forged?
casting take molten metal, put it into a mold, and cooled, then machined.

forging applies pressure to heated softened (but not molten) metal in a mold and produces stronger material (generally) than standard casting does.

investment casting is the same as normal (sand) casting but uses pressure and wax to fill a reversed mold of a given part. investment casting produces better material than sand casting which is more ductile and more precise than forging, although arguably not as "strong" to some stresses.

DSA Voyager receivers are investment cast using a lost wax process and finish machined. sperglords that demand forged for a rifle don't understand the reasons why - the M14 needs a forged receiver because of the shape of the lugs and position of the cuts. cast receivers can work if properly done, but crack easier.

cast G3 receivers (like federal arms did back in the day) will 100% break or deform because the stresses on it demand a certain amount of flex for the rollers.
>>
>>33188906
imported FzSA or a Styer LAR. transferable 50.00's tend to be very good and early Century Imports from Germany and Belgium were good too, along with old Lithgow and SLR's from Britain back in the 70's and 80's.

assuming you aren't keen on spending $5k+ a DSA or complete IMBEL Fz would be your better bets or something built by IGF or Gun Plumber.
>>
I was considering the Voyager but the suspect quality reports swayed me away. Instead I bought a used Austrian SA58 original barrel kit on an Imbel non gear metric receiver for $700, G1 kit with original barrel and nice wood on a Coonan metric for $850, and an original barrel Izzy HBAR kit with like new wood on an Imbel non gear receiver for $1050 in the last month. All have mirror bores, decent finish, and appear to be built correctly.

I haven't owned an FAL or priced one in 10 years. This was sort of a, "If you buy all three and take them home today we'll make you a deal." type thing. How badly did I do?
>>
>>33189340
>suspect quality reports
link
>>
>>33188788
How do you plan on getting a carry handle cut?
>>
>>33189387
http://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386571
"4140cmv non chrome bore"
"Cast receiver with no carry handle cut"

Nothing else needs to be said.
>>
>>33189485
not that anon, but there are clamp on ones.
>>33189545
4140 CMV is appropriate for a normal rifle, you aren't dropping a sear in it. likewise an investment cast receiver is more than you'll ever need out of it, and the machining is high quality for the money paid.

it's along the same lines as "never buy anything but KAC, Colt, or Noveske" you hear on arfcom.
>>
>>33189001
So how are they on an FAL?
>>
>>33189589
Where can i find a clamp on carry handle?
>>
>>33189485
The voyager HAS a carry handle cut, it's filled with a spacer washer to protect the gap. They OFFER non carry handle cut receivers, however I'm of the impression that they generally have to be specified to be non cut. All the traditional FAL's the offer seem to be available in cut and non-cut.
>>33189545
They OFFER receivers without carry handle cuts, that does not mean they ONLY SELL non cut.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.