[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 36

File: af cct.jpg (112KB, 600x903px) Image search: [Google]
af cct.jpg
112KB, 600x903px
If You Ain't Calling Airstrikes You Ain't Shit Edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Previous:
>>33141191
>>
Is it hard to get a spot in an infantry MOS? I've heard they're in demand
>>
>>33168610
Speaking as someone who was enlisted intel in the Army and got headhunted for contract work:

You still need a degree. For contracts you need a 2 year degree, for federal civilian you need a 4 year degree. The former wasn't always true, I knew a few guys who got decent gigs at CENTCOM as analysts without a degree. Around 2011 however DoD decided that contracted intel people had to have at least a 2 year degree. People who didn't have them but were currently contracted were told to start school within six months or they were going to be let go.

A TS/SCI is worth a lot to contractors because if its not lapsed they don't have to pay for a new SF86+investigation. But you still have to meet the minimum hiring requirements which now includes a 2 year degree.
>>
>>33168637
>If You Ain't Calling Airstrikes You Ain't Shit Edition

What about COLT?
>>
Thinking on going Corpsman....Pros? Cons? Honest opinions?
>>
File: Cuervo cat.jpg (66KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
Cuervo cat.jpg
66KB, 550x412px
Would going to a therapist spoil my chances of being pilot or getting a TS?
>>
File: 1488219962606.png (35KB, 497x382px) Image search: [Google]
1488219962606.png
35KB, 497x382px
Doing asvab in two weeks.
Third time going, first two got cancelled.
>>
File: 1421879926052.jpg (13KB, 174x177px) Image search: [Google]
1421879926052.jpg
13KB, 174x177px
Here is the situation /meg/.
I want to go for a TS clearance rate but I was diagnosed with a learning disability (helicopter parents) at a young age but it's complete bullshit (high gpa) and iv been using it to get some financial aid to help cover my expenses in college.

If I went to a Doctor now(looked it up this worked for some people), and got them to say I was not mentally disabled (should be obvious to anyone) would they look back at the financial aid bit and say "No even though you are not disabled you collected welfare so your out"?
>>
>>33168897
See how far you can get by not mentioning the financial aid.
If you're asked about it, don't lie though.
>>
Any 35P here?
What do you do every day if you get a tactical assignment?
Do you get some time during the duty day to just practice your language(s) or is it all technical/field training and details?
>>
>>33168664
What flavor crayon is your favorite
>>
>>33168937
>See how far you can get by not mentioning the financial aid.
If they do any kind of background check it's going to come up without a doubt.
I'm just wondering if it's a instant DQ or if they will let it slide.
"Well it says you don't have this problem. but you collected aid for it. QD."

>If you're asked about it, don't lie though.
I'd never lie about that.
>>
>>33168772
Yes
Yes
>>
File: 1484615818529.jpg (352KB, 1353x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1484615818529.jpg
352KB, 1353x2048px
What are the chances of an oldfag (~28), enlisting in the Infantry and becoming a successful operator later down the road? Is it possible to keep up with the youngsters into one's 30s? Or is there a legit cut off age into any of those groups?
>>
>>33168725

Speaking as someone who recently got a contract job, it's nice to have but not currently required. I'm working with guys who don't have a 2-year degree, just appropriate certifications.

That said, you can just grab any online degree while you're in and that will satisfy 90% of government degree requirements. If you're in one of the high-demand job fields it's usually not hard to cobble together a degree during your enlistment, since you often get a lot of credit for military training.
>>
>>33169599
My coolguy success calculator says 24.7%.

Seriously though, anon, everyone wants an equation, they want odds of success, but that's not how this works.

Lots of guys have attempted what you describe, some of them have been successful, but all that should really matter to you is how badly you want it.

If you're worried about time, 18X will get you into SF a lot faster than going infantry.
>>
>>33168463

The GI Bill is a great benefit, but if you pick a job that actually transfers to the civilian world you can skip the whole "spend 5-8 years figuring out how to be a successful civvy" phase and go right into a great career. Plus you can hoard your GI Bill for grad school or jetski money instead of living off of it.
>>
>>33170208
But isn't college where you get brainwashed by liberal propaganda?
>>
>>33170240

If you go to a liberal arts college, maybe? Higher education spans the whole spectrum of politics. You choose the environment you want to be in when you choose the school.
>>
How does a Frenchy that speaks 4 European languages fluently including English enlist in the allmighty U.S. Army?
Pls /k/ I want to flee this kebab riddled commie shithole
>>
>>33170309

Normally you would go MAVNI, but the program is having issues right now. Your only option is to get a green card, which means years of waiting unless you marry an American dude (assuming you're gay, because French).
>>
>>33170359
Will you marry me, anon-kun? So I can fulfill my dream of removing kebab innadesert?
>>
>>33169000
Red
>>
Is it true that Navy RTC is trying to kick out as many people as they can?
>>
>>33170378
You get a pay bonus for being married and enlisted too
>>
Are there any general tips for going through recruit training? My country's training is an initial 17 weeks long
>>
>>33170309
>>33170378
Stop typing like a faggot and join our own army you pussy.
You're not going to get into the US anyway.
>>
Anyone here been in the French Foreign Legion? I'm thinking about trying the Legion and want to know what I'm headed into.
>>
>>33171225
There's a documentary on youtube, it's easy to find
>>
>>33169599
most SOF are late twenties early thirties
>>
>>33171225
Avoid at all costs the Cervens website because it is full of absolute morons. Star posters include some guy who may have been in the Royal Marines 50 years ago and has never been near the FFL, a Danish man who gets incredibly angry when anyone asks about joining the FFL, various other posters who may have been in the FFL decades ago and some genuine lunatic who alluded to being a terrorist and wanting to join. The new posters include weird Americans asking about neo Nazism and tattoos, more weird Americans, weird people from all over and that's about it.

As to the real FFL, go for it. Just turn up and have a go. Practice your French.
>>
>>33171225

I've thought about it, but since I don't want to make a career of it I decided against it.
>>
How badly will I get hazed (army infantry) if I'm a silent guy?
I'm not really autistic, I can interact with people. I'm just introverted and dislike smalltalk.

Also how do I make sure I don't fuck up at boot camp?
>>
File: exterminatethebrutes.gif (607KB, 748x912px) Image search: [Google]
exterminatethebrutes.gif
607KB, 748x912px
Hey guys, I really want to do FID and UW. I don't see any way that this could effect me psychologically and I'm definitely going to pass selection. Should I go MARSOC or SF?
>>
When I was younger, my mom's psychiatrist diagnosed me with bipolar. Based on my research of the disorder I don't believe I have it. I'm trying to enlist and I know this will get in my way. What are my options? Would getting a second opinion help?
>>
>>33171318
You're going to get fucked with regardless, not by recruits but by your instructors. Just do what you're told and you'll be fucked with less.
>>
>>33171911
Yeah, I know that.
>Just do what you're told
What kind of retard doesn't follow orders in boot camp though? I thought that wasn't even something you'd need to mention yet everyone keeps reminding me to "follow orders".

>not by recruits
So there's no actual hazing in the army?
>>
File: saturday morning SAPR.jpg (125KB, 509x720px) Image search: [Google]
saturday morning SAPR.jpg
125KB, 509x720px
>>33172025
Hardly any in any branch with the exception of seals and maybe other SW.
>>
>>33170788
Yes. Navy has highest attrition rate- about 15% don't graduate RTC.
>>
>>33172025

People remind you because that's the only key to success. People only have trouble when they try to buck the system. Just follow the well-trod path the last ten million guys took and you will be successful.
>>
Hypothetical: if a combat controller spoke the same languages as the special forces guys he was attached to, would he get to do more than just deal with JTAC and shared combat/reconnaissance duties within the unit?
>>
>>33168637
anyone know what kind of pack he has in this pic? looking for something very similar to that.
>>
>>33172310
What do you mean?
>>
I asked this in one of the earlier threads but got no replies, are there any /k/ made charts in reference to military enlistment that could help get a new fag up to speed?
>>
>>33172342

Would the special tactics guys be doing special forces things when they weren't doing special tactics things?
>>
>>33168637
I'm going to take my Asvab soon and I have childhood asthma on my records is that going to affect me when I go to MEPS?
>>
File: IMG_4397.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4397.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>33170240
It's up to you to resist the propaganda. If you're weak willed person it will be easy for your professors and peers to fuck your mind. Don't let them. pic related on my campus some anon got to the Peace Ball before I did
>>
>>33172342
>>33172517

Let me clarify.

Let's say that a three man special tactics team is attached to a 12 man ODA.

The special tactics guys are there to call in air power as needed and do covert air traffic control for things like supply drops, additional infiltration, exfiltration, and run covert landing zones for the purpose of logistics. They also run along with the special forces guys during combat because that is also their job.

Now the special forces guys are busy training the locals as part of FID and planning irregular operations that will include participation by both the locals and themselves. Would special tactics guys be included in the irregular warfare operations or left to their own tasks even when there were no further special tactics related tasks to complete?
>>
>>33170185
>Speaking as someone who recently got a contract job, it's nice to have but not currently required.

Are you an intel contractor? Or are you doing something else?
>>
>>33170208
>but if you pick a job that actually transfers to the civilian world

Name an MOS that guarantees someone to go from enlisted to civilian employment in the same field with only one enlistments worth of experience.
>>
File: another asthmapost.jpg (7KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
another asthmapost.jpg
7KB, 240x160px
>>33172543
If you're sure you don't still have it then don't tell them unless you had tricare.
>>
>>33172679

I do intel systems, so the crossroads between intel and tech.

Degrees are a plus but not required. My company will give me quite a bit of extra money on top of my GI Bill if I want to get more degrees.
>>
>>33172693

Pretty much anything 35 series in the Army except maybe 35M and 35F depending on what you do. 17C definitely, and most of the 25 series if you get your certs.
>>
File: US.jpg (31KB, 537x781px) Image search: [Google]
US.jpg
31KB, 537x781px
I know this is crazy, but is it worth reaching to become a Flag Officer?
>>
Daily reminder that intel is the strongest race
>>
>>33172769
only if you like sucking political dick to get past O-5
>>
>>33172821
Looking through I see you require a ton of degrees and such. I'd hate to spend money on it and then fail to become one.
>>
>>33172769

If you're in it for the money, probably not. Flag grades are underpaid for what they do. Not a bad way to go if you're looking for a political career though, and be under no illusion it is a political game by the time you get up there.
>>
>>33172837

Most flag grades only have a Master's degree.... which the military hands you if you decide to become a career officer. Obviously you need a Bachelor's to start down the officer path at all.
>>
>>33172184
Do you know why?
>>
File: shin splint shits.jpg (149KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
shin splint shits.jpg
149KB, 1200x1200px
>>33172858
mostly medical/psychological separations and sleep deprived idiots standing up during moment of truth.
>>
>>33172577
>let me clarify
>makes it more confusing

I have no idea what you are talking about. Why does it matter?

Perhaps I'm not reading it properly or I'm having a slow head day but I really don't get what you're driving at there.
>>
>>33173192

Anon is trying to figure out how to reconcile his coolguy action hero dreams with the fact that his family keeps telling him to go Air Force.

Like 20% of MEG is
>How do I into Air Force Jason Bourne?
>>
>>33173236
Am I a faggot for giving up on my coolguy dreams?
I just figured that the kind of guy who'd make it would probably not be asking for advice on /meg/ in the first place.
I'd be fine with just being a grunt now.
>>
Should i go to uni and study law or become an army ranger?
>>
>>33173192

All SOF have things that they specialize in. CCTs wind up attached to pretty much every SOF unit, so I'm wondering how responsibilities are divvied up and if CCTs might get to dabble in other people's specialties.

>>33173236

CCTs do coolguy shit. Just not FID/UW coolguy shit, and FID/UW is something I'm very interested in.
>>
>>33173459
both
>>
>>33173277

Dude if you want to do direct action and asymmetric warfare, choose a unit that does those tasks (Ranger, SF, SEAL, MARSOC). If you want to do highly specialized supportive work and work directly with SOF, but not do any of the doorkicking, choose a unit that does that (PJ, CCT, 160th SOAR, SWCC, EOD, etc).

Pick the job you want most, dont pick something else with the expectation of maybe getting roped into a special mission where you get to do other stuff.

It's not that a CCT has never kicked a door, but that's not their mission, so they probably only get to do it every once in a while.

Tl;dr: do you have a passion for meteorology, jumping out of planes, and seeing shit explode from far away? CCT is right for you

Do you have a passion for abducting the enemy from his bed at night and dying in "training accidents?" Then you should consider a direct action unit
>>
>>33173500
I think you're mistaken, I'm not the guy you were answering to at first.
It's just that I had an initial interest in direct action but seeing how selective those units were, I'm not sure it's worth trying just to be put into needs of the army afterwards.
99% of people who want to do cool stuff don't.
>>
>>33173541

Meant to respond to this guy
>>33173462
>>33172577
>>
>>33173541

Yeah, but most of that 99% just talk about it on 4chan and never try.
>>
>>33173563
Yeah, I guess.
But a lot of people think they're going to end up in CAG and then quit during infantry basic, you know? Isn't it harder than it's made up to be?
>>
>>33173500

He is not me. I'm not super interested in direct action, everybody likes to have their units do DA/SR as a combined thing because it's sexy so I'll probably be along for some of those with one outfit or another if I go for CCT.

What I am keenly interested in is FID/UW, and only SF and MARSOC do those as far as I know. I'm looking at the cfetp for CCT and I'm seeing that there is a segment for Irregular Warfare including FID courses, but none are mandatory at any point in training except for "ASO", which seems to only be needed at the upper end of the 5-level and only at a basic skill level.

If I go SF or MARSOC I'll never get to do cool CCT shit, but if I do CCT I'm wondering if I'll ever get to cross train enough to do UW shit. That is the basis for what I am wondering.
>>
>>33172746
>I do intel systems

So you do maintenance? You're not actually working in an All Source, SIGINT, GEOINT analyst or HUMINT or CI slot?

>>33172760
>Pretty much anything 35 series

Lol no. Civilian positions in the IC require a degree.

>except maybe 35M and 35F

35F is All Source Analysis which many agencies in the IC that aren't super specialized (like NGA and NRO) do, even if they focus on specific topics. That includes the State Department INR, Department of Energy INR, FBI, CIA, DIA etc.

>17C definitely

An MOS that hasn't even been around long enough for someone to finish an active duty enlistment?

>25 series if you get your certs.
>if you get your certs

So you mean if you go outside of explicitly what training and certification is provided in TRADOC?

Because that's my point. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a civilian education while on active duty or get certs you need outside of TRADOC to go on to a job. I'm specifically countering this meme that just enlisting is enough to guarantee a job.
>>
>>33173623

Im gonna say "maybe"

If it's not a main component of your training, there's a good chance you'll never do it.
You'll prob just hang out and do your job while the green berets do the FID/UW stuff
>>
>>33173462
It's about necessity, capacity, interest and all sorts of other things. The CO is given a certain amount of swing in what everyone learns over a certain timeframe. Different tasks and roles are given over to specific companies. Your OC will then divvy up work as he sees fit, within the COs parameters.

It is entirely possible that you get pinged for something completely bizarre, that will only become clear to you later. Astronav was probably the definitive 70s version of that. Other things come in and out as fads (hand to hand combat, certain psychological tests). Others are considered absolutely vital (boat skills, signalling, demolitions, small arms usage, escape and aversion).

>>33173623
This, I think, is probably the most apparent flaw with allowing people to join SF/SOF organisations direct. They spend so much time researching the irrelevant stuff that they get lost.

I hate to sound old or rude, but you're attempting to get a grasp on something that is so far down the line that you may as well not ask in the first place. If you want to do Infantry soldiering, which is basically what SF soldiering is, join an Infantry unit and work from there.

You're basically asking about trade/specialisation, which isn't really the sort of question you should be asking as it's not going to form your career. You might get asked what you'd like to do, but by and large you're training for a defined task not what you deem suitable.
>>
>>33173482
In what order? Cant do both at a time. Law seems interesting, army seems challenging, exciting and more fun.
>>
>>33169599

I've got a buddy. Used to be SGT Anon, now he's 2LT Anon. Great guy, he was 30 when I met him and already has two combat deployments. He printed high PT on all events every test, never shot less than 36. He just booked his Air Assault slot, I'd imagine that ABN is next and then likely as not, Ranger School. He's 32 now, went from 11B to 11A, and in my opinion he's one of the most dangerous motherfuckers I've ever met. I've done courses and training with guys 30-35 plenty of times and even if I could print higher PT scores than them, they were usually a good deal tougher.

Only thing slowing you down is you.
>>
>>33173706
This whole fucking post dude. There are too many never been shit stains answering questions in these MEG threads based on bullshit they found on Yahoo answers spouted by people who were themselves never in or not in a specific MOS or unit that's being asked about.

You anons that don't know and try to bullshit out an answer and you haven't even made it past MEPS yet are fucking cancer and worse than recruiters. At least recruiters can give you a general idea of what the military life is like even if they know less than jack shit about most MOS.
>>
>>33173674

So basically I'd have to suck my CO's dick into letting me cross train, then I'd have to get attached to an SF unit doing it in a language that I knew during my deployment. I gotcha.

My division comes from the fact that all SOF elements perform DA, SR, and CT type activities depending upon where they are assigned. What I'm interested in most is being part of unique capabilities that other elements cannot reproduce. CCT does something that is not reproduced in spite of the Navy wanting ANGLICO to be able to do it. SF, and apparently MARSOC, do something organically that cannot be replicated by other SOF elements.

Thus the fork: it wouldn't matter what I did if I wanted DA/SR because everyone from Rangers to SEALs do it, but if I want to do FID I may have to pick carefully. If CCTs can crosstrain then I may avert choice.

>>33173706

I guess it sort of is the core problem. I have no idea if I would despise actually carrying out FID or hate not doing FID, and I have no way of knowing that because I'm not in. It's gut wrenching because I'm making a career choice that I'm not going to see show its relevance until years down the road after I'm more or less locked in.
>>
>>33173623
I wasn't in SF, but I was in the Ranger Regiment. So I can't say with exact certainty, but I would guess that an ODA would not take you out to do UW type stuff. That's not what you're trained for, and it's not your mission. Maybe they'd bring you along solely for extra security purposes. On The other hand, if you tell the team leader that you're interested in learning that kind of UW shit he might let you sit in on briefings and teach you some. He might also tell you to stick to your own job. I have no idea honestly. I'll ask my best friend who is a green beret for you, but I don't think he's worked with CCTs whatsoever since he's been in group (about 6 years).

As a Ranger, when we had do things that weren't missions (train afghans etc) the cct was never around. He was there when we needed him to do his job and other than that he kind of on his own.
>>
>>33173790
>It's gut wrenching because I'm making a career choice that I'm not going to see show its relevance until years down the road

Welcome to the US Military.
>>
>>33173664

No, I do signals analysis, but that's pretty much 100% knowing how to set up, use, and troubleshoot the system.

>Civilian IC positions require a degree.

I know quite a few contractors and a handful of GS9-12 that disprove that. Don't know any 13+ without one though.

The reason 35Fs struggle is that they have very inconsistent experience. I know one assignment foxes who did nothing and those that spent most of their 4 years doing small team work while deployed. If you have the resume and contacts of the latter, getting a job is easy.

There are plenty of single enlistment 17Cs that are out now, they just started as other 35 series and converted without reenlistment.
>>
>>33173623
Look at what these guys said:
>>33173706
>I hate to sound old or rude, but you're attempting to get a grasp on something that is so far down the line that you may as well not ask in the first place

>>33173760
>You anons that don't know and try to bullshit out an answer and you haven't even made it past MEPS yet are fucking cancer and worse than recruiters. At least recruiters can give you a general idea of what the military life is like even if they know less than jack shit about most MOS.

You're getting way too far ahead of yourself. Research the different jobs, sign up for one, and just do it. If you hate it, you can try to switch after your first enlistment. The scenario of you being a cct and cross training UW shit with SF guys is an unnecessary hypothetical scenario that you shouldn't be even thinking about. If you really want to know all these weird specifics, find a CCT in real life, or on the internet and pick his brain.
>>
>>33173802

I lean toward SF largely for that reason. I hate having to choose between that and the CCT mission though.

>>33173809

D'oh.

>>33173846

>find a CCT

Those guys are like unicorns though.
>>
>>33173838
>I do signals analysis

Were you a november or sierra?

>and a handful of GS9-12 that disprove that.
GS9-12 working as Federal civilian analysts and collectors for which agencies?

>who did nothing

Well yeah, if you don't actually have experience you're not going to get hired doing anything.

But the job of a 35F is doing all source analysis, which if you have experience working in a J2, G2, or S2 is going to be a different experience. But it's still experience doing literally what civilian all source analysis is doing.
>>
>>33173790
The RSM of 22 SAS in the early 80s joined the REME as a boy mechanic when he was 16, spent 6 years fixing trucks and decided he'd have a go at selection after talking about it over a beer one night with one of the staff. 18 months later and he was badged. 20 years later and he was the senior NCO in the world's foremost SF organisation. He didn't join dreaming of winged daggers and black masks (nor could he, as no one had a damn clue what the SAS was prior to 1980), he just had a go.

It really doesn't require a lot of planning. I can get that you're bamboozled by all the information, but your best bet is just to join (ideally Infantry, if you're after light infantry style operations - all of which those are primarily) and work from there.

Infantry will give you essentially every skill, or the opportunity to develop those skills, as they provide the bulk of the manpower and the direct "link" between themselves and SF forces. It will give you the chance to make contacts, speak to those who have been there and done it, go on courses, learn names and faces and so on. It will, crucially, give you a chance to see if you actually like soldiering or not.
>>
File: CIDBADGE.jpg (327KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
CIDBADGE.jpg
327KB, 500x500px
Anyone else here enlisting as 31D? Only enlisted position requiring a bachelor's degree currently. Not many seem to know about it
>>
>>33173933
It doesn't require a bachelor's, the accession program requires a bachelor's.

Someone who is already enlisted can reclass to 31D without a degree.

http://www.cid.army.mil/militaryagents2.html

Also plenty of people in the Army know about CID.
>>
>temporarily med DQ'd 4 years ago at MEPS
>found out I don't need to go to MEPS again
What a relief.
>just get my heart rate and BP done 3 days inna row

Getting it done Monday-Wednesday. Then probably re-taking the asvab, or picat or whatever it is called now.

Any tips for the navy?
>>
>>33173887

I was a Tango that spent most of my time doing November work since I have a knack for software and we didn't have systems to work.

It's SIGINT, which agency do you think I support?

I get what you're trying to say, but there's three kinds of one-contract guys:

A: You get a good assignment (Agency gig or SOF). You don't have much time to do your own thing because of the optempo, but you get great experience and a great network.

B: You get a shitty assignment where you don't do anything, but you use that time to get civilian credentials.

C. You get a shitty assignment and spend 4-6 years beating off and playing WOW.

A and B have no problems finding jobs. Employers will pay for A's degrees since they know the job, or they'll train up B since they have the credentials.

Only C has a problem getting a job after one contract, because they CHOSE to do nothing.
>>
>>33173900

I am pretty damn bamboozled. I guess there's not much for it but to sign up.
>>
>>33173623
If you want to do FID stuff in the USAF look into becoming a CAA .
>>
>>33174020

I saw that, but I think it's officer only and I'm not done with my degree. Also the UW mission is part of FID's draw for me, but it'd be cool as shit to go train allied pilots overseas.
>>
>>33173716
Enlist first. You get extra pussy money when you study law after that.
>>
>>33173969
Thanks, but yeah no shit. I'm referring to the pilot program and new recruits, not people already in the Army, hence why I said "enlisting".
>>
>>33173994
>It's SIGINT, which agency do you think I support?

So which NSA analyst and collections positions as a GS don't require a degree?

>A and B have no problems finding jobs.

I didn't say people with experience would have a hard time finding a job. I'm saying that with only the training you get in TRADOC it isn't enough to get a job. Which seems to be the meme that's pushed to kids who don't know better. And that more often than not this requires some kind of training/education outside of the military.
>>
>>33174053
No it's not officer only, my father did it until he retired and he was enlisted.
>>
>>33174117

I might have to check that out then.
>>
Should I sell my truck before I go to boot camp for the Navy? I was thinking about getting something with better gas mileage
>>
>>33174485
Sell it and buy a mustang when you graduate. People will think you're hot shit and unique, because no one on military bases drives them :)
>>
>trying to get my Canadian forces application re-opened
>emailed the recruiting centre in Toronto 3 times in the past two weeks no response
>they don't have anyone on the phones anymore so i can't call
>everytime i try to join its a clusterfuck of bureaucracy and lazy fucking people in recruiting
>try to join the reserves, fill out all the paperwork go through the bullshit process waiting months for shit to go through
>finally get an email that an appointment was setup, it is on a saturday think nothing of it drive all the way to fort york in toronto
>the office is closed, guy booked me on a date they are not even open on
>leave multiple voice mails and emails over the span of a couple weeks not a single call or response
>been trying to join for 3 fucking years
>fucked up initially by applying only for combat trades and being a dumb 18 year old wanting to go into COD infantry
>no spots and they close my application after almost two years of waiting and paperwork
>>
>>33174771

I guess they don't want me, maybe i bombed the aptitude test but i didn't fail. They don't tell you the score you got, just if you passed or failed. Then again wrote it when i was a dumb ass 18 year old. It is just their is so much bullshit and waiting, getting told one thing and then another by someone else. Sister applied for the reserves as a clerk and within about 4 months she got her basic date. She does live in a military town and her husband is in the CF but still, makes me salty.

Don't know what i did wrong to get sidelined so hard and for so long.
>>
File: violator from spawn.jpg (40KB, 293x400px) Image search: [Google]
violator from spawn.jpg
40KB, 293x400px
Why does everyone in the Air Force look like Violator?
>>
>>33175334

>Air Force base filled with scary clowns that are actually demons

No wonder people are scared of them.
>>
finally made it through MEPS and got to swear in after the third trip. feels good man

who else is going 35F?
>>
>>33175348
Most trannies of any branch, if you are scared you are transphobic and need to be reported.
>>
>tfw might be out of shape by time I ship for BMT
>>
tfw u cant join eeuu army to fight for the eternal jew.

sucks to be argie, brah
>>
>>33175334

Was he played by Danny de Vito?
>>
File: 1487887798312.jpg (77KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487887798312.jpg
77KB, 800x800px
Do I have to know how to swim well before joining the Marine Corps? I can tread water but I'm not a very proficient swimmer
>>
>>33176040
John Leguizamo.
>>
>>33176143
Prepare to get fucking HAZED
>>
File: 1484792684278.gif (683KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484792684278.gif
683KB, 720x960px
I want to serve in an outfit free of political correctness and women, and full of combat training, hazing, partying hard and fucking shit up overseas.

Is this possible in 2017?
>>
>>33176436
Yeah, go 0311 or 11bang bang
>>
>>33176436

Sounds like you want to join your local fraternity and not the military. The military is for adults doing a job.
>>
>>33176436
>>33176436
Forgot to add, the only thing you're gonna be fucking up overseas is your own body by getting addicted to tobacco and alcohol.
>>
>>33176436
You should've joined a Ranger bat any time before the current year where they're apparently about to have a fucking woman there.
>>
>>33175714
If you go in and you're a tad bit out of shape, will they recycle you?
>>
i went to a recruiter in may 2016, did meps, and filled out a bunch of shit because of my criminal record.

last time i spoke to him was in October, i texted him 2 day ago and no reply.

what's up with that?

>fit
>young
>smart
>hard working
is that now what the army wants?
>>
>>33177318
Call him or go to the office. This isn't a High School date, don't just throw a text at him and give up.
>>
>>33177318
>criminal record
Think I found your problem
>>
>>33177391
why would he do all that extra work? it was more of a headache for him than me
>>
If you aint infantry, you aint shit.
>>
>>33175714

>6'3
>Weighed 275 as a consequence of alcoholism and not getting out of bed due to depression
>Set my mind to joining the military
>Have lose 4lbs per week and am jogging
>Am down to 255 and still losing
>10 min mile, but I run the whole thing

If you're serious you'll lose the weight.
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
This

FUCK POGS
>>
>>33177318
More than likely he closed out your application for the army due to "lack of interest"

t. been there done that
>>
>>33177482
why lack of interest, i made every effort to get what they needed and was always enthusiastic
>>
>>33176436
11 Bravo during wartime is exactly this.

NFC what it's like during peacetime.
>>
>>33177437

How the fuck does someone lose 4lbs per week?
>>
>>33177742

1. Eat like 4,000 calories/day so you can get massively overweight.

2. Stop doing #1.
>>
>>33177742

This >>33177894 , but only eat about 2500 and drink the other 2k. Then give up drinking and start exercising.
>>
>>33177510
>last time i spoke to him was in October, i texted him 2 day ago and no reply.

I know that he's supposed to be a professional and stuff, but if you wanted to join you should've made more effort to stay in contact. In my experience most recruiters are pieces of shit.
>>
I feel myself falling for the dress blues meme. Convince me to join the army instead. I'd want infantry if I did either.
>>
>>33179678

I'm probably going to shoot for CCT. All the perks of Air Force life with the coolguy shit of SOF.
>>
File: yep.jpg (273KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
yep.jpg
273KB, 1080x1349px
Asking here because this is where all the veterans are.
Got out about 6 months ago, am recently started my first semester with the GI Bill.

What I want to know is how the FAFSA and Pell Grant works, since everyone says you can get that stuff paid to you and you can pocket it, which is literally thousands of dollars I could totally use.

How does it work getting that money? I applied for a FAFSA, my school said it got it and that was it, never heard about it again. School says the GI Bill covered the tuition and I owe zero money.
>>
>>33179950
Do they have a financial aid office or something similar? I didn't go to school with the GI bill but back when I was doing my associates my FAFSA money was sent to me in the form of a check by mail.
>>
>>33179950

Go talk to their financial aid office soon. They should reimburse you soon... unless of course they ran FAFSA and Pell Grants before they used your GI Bill, or at least claim that's what they did before pocketing the money from both.

...go demand your money sooner than later.
>>
>>33179678
If you just want Infantry and don't care about a hard life or possibly getting promoted slower join the Marines.
You get the cheesy brotherhood and learn some cool history and shit.
>>
>>33180490
im gunna sound like a scumbag, but i only want ti do it for the cool story, and the fact i can say "i was a muh-reen"
>>
>>33179950
>Asking here because this is where all the veterans are.

Easily 90% of the cock sucks in these /MEG/ threads are kids who are "basically experts" because they've been to MEPS once or twice.

>What I want to know is how the FAFSA and Pell Grant works, since everyone says you can get that stuff paid to you and you can pocket it, which is literally thousands of dollars I could totally use.

This is my experience getting the Chapter 33/Post 9/11 + Pell Grant:

The Pell Grant almost always comes in before the GI Bill tuition every semester. Which means about a month and a half into the semester I get a direct deposit into my account for the difference in tuition after GI Bill finishes paying what the Pell Grant didn't. You get a fixed amount of Pell Grant money per year, IIRC it caps out at $5500. It is then split between Fall and Spring semesters.

>How does it work getting that money? I applied for a FAFSA, my school said it got it and that was it, never heard about it again. School says the GI Bill covered the tuition and I owe zero money.

Whenever they start issuing disbursements for financial aid refunds. A refund is just whatever money was leftover from all of your financial aid sources after what you owed the school was paid. So if there is money after Pell Grant+GI Bill tuition+any federal loans+scholarships+grants leftover it is paid to you.

Also your school should have a VA rep.

>>33180360
>unless of course they ran FAFSA and Pell Grants before they used your GI Bill

The VA always says that the GI Bill is a payer of "last resort" so whatever isn't needed is paid back to the VA, but I've never experienced this. I've always pocketed what was leftover and I've gotten the impression that this is actually normal.
>>
File: opsec.png (136KB, 538x579px) Image search: [Google]
opsec.png
136KB, 538x579px
If anyone has advice for me, let it rip.
>>
>>33181433
learn the ranger creed by heart
>>
How good of a swimmer do I need to be for army infantry?
Breaststroke is decent but I'm slow as shit, and my front crawl is a clusterfuck
>>
>>33174771
>>33174824
walk into the office and have a face to face with them
>>
>>33180590
You only get the extra paid towards tuition on the montgomery. With post 9/11 the extra tuition that was paid goes back to the VA, but with post 9/11 you get tuition paid and housing payments. The housing payments are usually more than what you would get with montgomery. The max monthly payment for montgomery is ~$1800, but the housing payment for san francisco is $4200.
>>
>>33181972

They're talking about FAFSA money though (Pell Grant) not GI Bill money.

It all depends on the order your college applies it in. The post-9/11 covers all tuition at most places. If the GI Bill hits first, then the Pell Grant comes in, your school is going to see that all your tuition is already paid and send you the amount of the grant. If the grant hits first, the GI Bill just pays the rest of tuition and you get no refund.
>>
>>33179678

Anyone who makes their service choice based on a uniform they'll barely ever wear deserves what they get. Have fun in the memerines.
>>
Do HIIT sessions really improve cardio? It's hard to imagine stuff like the tabata protocol actually doing shit. 4 minutes of activity doesn't seem long enough regardless of the intensity.
>>
>>33182084
Bump.

Who has a routine for HIIT?
>>
>>33181972
>With post 9/11 the extra tuition that was paid goes back to the VA
>>33181987
>the GI Bill just pays the rest of tuition and you get no refund.

Have either of you actually used the Chapter 33? Because I've never experienced this at either of the colleges I've attended.

I've always gotten the refund.
>>
>>33181433
>let it rip
>rip
good one
When do you ship, and what kind of shape are you in?
>>
How many people do they talk to for a TS clearance?
>>
I filed for a medical waiver last thursday and it got approved this tuesday, scheduled for meps next week. It's fucking happening. My recruiter said he expected it to take a month to get cleared for a physical. Shit's moving a lot faster than i thought.

I hope getting a 95 of my AFQT is enough to get an infantry contract.
>>
>>33171489
Can someone please help? I need to know what to do. I just found out about this and I need to know what to do
>>
File: am I disabled.jpg (10KB, 228x380px) Image search: [Google]
am I disabled.jpg
10KB, 228x380px
>go to MEPS
>barely make weight but otherwise pass all of the physical requirements
>go to give a urine sample
>for some reason can't fucking do it
>go drink 10 cups of water
>wait 30 minutes
>come back, still can't fucking do it
>MEPS over, have to come back at a later date

honestly should I just fucking off myself or what
>>
>>33182979
Don't mention it unless you have to. It might come up if you apply for a TS clearance but if not you can just lie and pretend it never happened if it's not a problem for you right now.

When your recruiter fills out your medical file they say that they'll assume everything is a "no" for prior conditions unless you have visible scars and stuff you can't hide.

The less paperwork the better is the general rule. My recruiter's boss lied about being able to obtain my medical file after i showed it to him to make me process faster.
>>
What is Navy intelligence like? I heard there's a lot of weebs and autists
>>
Convince me not to do security forces?
>>
>>33183024
What if you don't need a SC? How deep do they go for that? What if the most you need is a secret level?
>>
>>33183178
Do you enjoy standing in the same place for 4 years pretending that you're paying attention and not being bored? I almost fell for the security forces meme because i wanted to be a k9 operator but you have to be in security forces for 18 months before you can even apply to be one.

>>33183208
They will only hire an investigator if you want TS. If you do regular SECRET they only have the information they get from the criminal background and credit check. Unless you volunteer the information. So you're fine unless you do a TS because then they might contact your parents, doctor or teachers and ask about it.

In general they only have the information you give them. I used to live abroad and they didn't give a shit about criminal record from that country even if i said i could give them records proving i was never involved in criminal activity there.
>>
>>33182313
You've gotten a tuition refund?

The way it's supposed to work is everything else is applied to your tuition and then the post 9/11 pays the rest.
>>
>>33175446

Current 35F here with two years in service. You just fucked up.

You're gonna love Mr. Mennigault. You're gonna hate SGT. Marple.
>>
>>33174550
Can confirm.
I live in northern MN and bought it on an e3 salary
>>
What's up fellow /mil/fags.

Navy nerd rate here.

Any advice for my first deployment? Going underway real soon.
>>
>>33179678
OCPs are the best duty uniform atm.
>>
>>33180563
either way, have fun being a janitor for 4 years
>>
>>33182699
your references plus family and neighbors. Can be quite a few.
>>
>>33182084
No you can't improve cardio by doing any kind of exercise 4 minutes at a time. If you do HIIT 20+ minutes you definitely can.
>>
>>33185422
>HIIT 20+ minutes
That's hard as fuck man
I feel like puking after ten minutes
>>
>>33185428
Shouldn't be a problem if you just breath like hell
>>
>>33185453
What do you mean? My breathing is fine.
I'm not even talking about sprinting, I'm doing burpees.
>>
File: C5TqzFKW8AEWA8L.jpg (32KB, 557x414px) Image search: [Google]
C5TqzFKW8AEWA8L.jpg
32KB, 557x414px
On many military meme pages, many of the jokes are about low morality. Is morale really that bad most of the time? is everyone often pissed off a lot?
>>
>>33183003
Exact thing happened to me. Just come back and do it. No one will care later in your career that meps took you longer
>>
>>33183711
>You've gotten a tuition refund?
Yes. And I imagine since I'm at one of the largest universities in the country with a huge VA rep office and a lot of veterans I can't be the only one.
>>
>>33185422
>No you can't improve cardio by doing any kind of exercise 4 minutes at a time.
But that's wrong. There are three energy systems (commonly referred to as cardio) that comprise two anaerobic and one aerobic system for physical activity. The first is for strenuous activities of about 15 seconds, one for 16 seconds to 2 minutes, and the aerobic for longer duration activity (distance running for example).

Ideally all should be trained, but one can train the first two anaerobic systems and improve without being distance runners.
>>
>>33185732
I need to improve my cardio for the beep test.
Which energy system should I train? Obviously anaerobic (since it's basically a sprinting test) but the first or second one?
>>
File: cindy.png (2MB, 968x968px) Image search: [Google]
cindy.png
2MB, 968x968px
How does the Army reserve direct commission program work?

http://stayarmyreserve.army.mil/oa.htm

is it just for chaplains, doctors and lawyers?
>>
>>33185740
>Which energy system should I train?

All of them. What the energy system distinction is useful for is tailoring your training program to your specific activity. If your activity is high intensity but short duration your training time should focus on the two anaerobic systems, but ideally you should include some portion of low intensity long duration training.

There are workouts you can find with Google.
>>
>>33185947
>All of them
That's what I'm doing, but as you said, being that the beep test is a high intensity yet short workout, I figured I'd focus on anaerobic cardio.
>There are workouts you can find with Google.
I'd like to diversify my training because I can't always go running.
Google gives me stuff like the tabata protocol but I don't know what it's worth.
>>
File: 1488307551631.gif (1MB, 257x200px) Image search: [Google]
1488307551631.gif
1MB, 257x200px
Should I put some cum in the sperm bank before I go? Between getting shot in the balls and various toxins flying around at burn pits and constant lead exposure, I don't know if my swimmers are going to come out of this thing ok.
>>
>>33186237
Don't you need a college degree for that? Some sperm banks require at least a college degree before you can donate (serious)
>>
>>33186289
I do have one, though I didn't know that was a consideration. I just wanted to put my boys in safe deposit.
>>
>>33186316
Honestly if I had a degree I would donate sperm at a reputable sperm bank for extra cash. They pay better than an E-1 salary if you go regularly from what I've heard.

And you get to figuratively cuck some impotent SOB with offspring you will never meet

As for safety deposit box, sounds like a good idea if its cheap. I assure Invitro fertilization is not cheap however. I say do it
>>
>>33186369
Yeah, I figured if I was that urgent to want a kid someday I'd want him to be as whole as possible. Explaining that he's retarded because I was an idiot and wanted to go fast doesn't sound fun.
>>
I don't get this picture. What's even the point when Ranger School is just an Army leadership school to help you get more rank after the fact?

An airman with a Ranger tab is just some dude who can't fly, can't jump, and sits in an office with a tab reminiscing about his time in Ranger school, which would be the peak of his enlistment.
>>
>>33185536
Enlisted personnel are supposed to be pissed. Anger makes you more productive.

Only women get sad.
>>
>>33186564
if they're a SERE instructor, PJ, or CCt it's valuable training. I agree that it doesn't make much sense for most air force enlisted to go. Luckily, they don't.
>>
>>33186564
It made sense during the GWOT when airmen were fairly heavily involved in keeping bases secure and got ambushed on patrols often enough. An extra bit of training doesn't hurt.

I just wish they could call it something other than 'ranger', just to preserve the name.
>>
>>33186564
Photo op shit, nothing more
>>
>>33186564

>I don't know what CCT, PJ, SOWT, CPET, DAGRE, or SERE are

Perhaps ask questions before making assumptions.
>>
File: cct.jpg (1MB, 3765x2439px) Image search: [Google]
cct.jpg
1MB, 3765x2439px
>>33186678
>>33186610
Man, you guys... Imagine how comfy it is to be SOF in the air force, I bet those guys are so pampered. Shiny new toys and gear, life of luxury...
>>
>>33186716
Is that Squid?
>>
>>33185999
Do HIIT. Just make sure you're taking enough time for recovery between each set (for example you're doing 40m shuttle runs and it takes ~10 seconds you should rest for 1 to 3 minutes, also this would be an incredible NFL level 40yard time so you're likely closer to 15-20 seconds) so you can get the most out of your workout.

Don't just sprint endlessly for 30 minutes without any rest. That negates the entire point of interval training. And then like once a week go run for a few miles at a slower pace.
>>
>>33186678
>>33186716

No one here is going to shit on an operator, but most airmen at RS are security forces or just some POG going for a promotion.

Trust me, I've spent almost an hour looking at youtube videos.
>>
>>33186749
>Trust me, I've spent almost an hour looking at youtube videos.

LOL

This post epitomizes the level of experience of 90% of the shit dicks posting in /MEG/ threads.
>>
File: 75th ranger regiment.png (681KB, 681x452px) Image search: [Google]
75th ranger regiment.png
681KB, 681x452px
>>33186716
The 75th Ranger Regiment attached air force don't have tabs

The Ranger School attendees are office clerks or cops destined for office duty
>>
>>33186716

For six months you'd have tough training schools, but nothing tougher than what you've already done to get there or done on deployment. Good base facilities, good pay, keeping your skills sharp or doing new ones.

Then for six months you're elbow deep in whatever hell that they send you into. Maybe you're with SF, maybe you're with Rangers, maybe you're with Special Tactics setting up covert airfields to facilitate those operations. Maybe you're with all three: you set up the air fields, link up with SF to train up the locals, and get attached to Rangers later in the campaign. The last one is most probable given that CCTs and STOs are the most in demand group within SOF.

Then you come back and train more.

>shiny new toys and gear, life of luxury

Christ almighty.
>>
>>33186767
I think those guys are TACP-SOF
>>
File: 1482957655709.jpg (134KB, 500x880px) Image search: [Google]
1482957655709.jpg
134KB, 500x880px
>>33186742
I remember when I first tried HIIT. Figured since I'd been running for a while, I could skip ahead in the chart and do 30 seconds on, 1 minute rest for twenty minutes.

I got a baseball sized knot my quad that I couldn't work out for a month and almost got fired because I couldn't squat down.
>>
>>33182383
Ha, didn't think anyone would notice.

I'm in fairly decent shape. i'm 5'9 and probably 155 soaking wet. I can run good. It's my pushups and pullups that need work. Can only crank out about 50-60 in a 2 minute period and I can only do 10 pullups. I figure after 14 weeks of OSUT and then Airborne school, i'll be in good enough shape to compete in RASP and have the confidence to succeed,

I ship the 21st of this month.
>>
>>33186782

This is something people don't seem to understand is that you can't go 100% all the time on everything. Even when I was wrestling and we were getting put through workouts intended to knock our dicks in the dirt and pushed to put out (I never had a PT session in the Army that was even close to as physically draining) constantly it was at least 50% long duration and low to medium intensity with a few short duration and high intensity exercises thrown in.
>>
>>33186824
I forgot to add: And we were being cycled out and given short rest periods. So if we did shark and bait (wrestle hard for 30 seconds to a minute) there were four guys in the group so you would get a minute of rest for every 30 seconds of wrestling, or if we were doing sprints it was group sprints and one group would go and rest while the next two groups sprinted. And then repeat.
>>
>>33168637
About to join the Army. Really feeling it's going to improve my life. Don't wanna be some faggot sitting on his ass drawing cartoons and being in debt from school for the rest of his life. Any music you guys like to listen to that gives you military feels? I find music helps get my pumped.
I don't wanna pussy out. I wanna get pumped to be a big man.
>>
>>33186863

So you're saying that you want to be a... big guy?
>>
>>33186863
>Any music you guys like to listen to that gives you military feels?

No because that's gay as fuck. If you get out and you're clinging so fucking hard to your identity as a veteran you need to reevaluate your life.

Cadences are gay as fuck too.
>>
>>33186863
Depending on music to get pumped is dangerous because it means your adrenaline is dependent on an outside device.

Better to workout at the same high tempo without the music
>>
>>33186892
Suppose that makes sense.
Then any advice for someone who's joining up?
>>
could any sandbox vets or people that are generally in the know help me out? i've been gifted a shemagh that's a black basis with green and brown details, does it hold any significance and would it be appropriate for an op tora bora era display?
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 260x194px
>>33186863
eurobeat
>>
>>33186918
Most people in general, including vets, aren't going to know the significance of the different colors of keffiyeh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keffiyeh
>>
>>33186945
DEJA VU
>>
Can I use a stationary bike to increase my cardio and perhaps running speed/endurance?
>>
I read in the news the other day that the military will be offering two year contracts again. Would it be worth it if I joined the army as an 11B?
>>
>>33187042
Just run a defined distance in a defined time instead of relying on cardio toys for 40 year old chicks.
>>
>>33187059
>Just run a defined distance in a defined time instead of relying on good training methods

t. CSM on a walk profile.
>>
>>33181433

>covering up your OSUT location

Wow, there's so many! How would we know which one???
>>
I'm a 23 year old university dropout with a dead end job. Is the military a good choice for me?
>>
>>33187348
Yes
>>
>>33187361
Good to know
I've wanted to join for years but never actually applied. I came very close to applying last year and I feel like this year I might actually do it.
>>
>>33187215
Thanks for the advice man!!!
>>
>>33186863

Marine and Airborne Ranger cadences.

https://youtu.be/N5roEJJE8C4
https://youtu.be/grpZB2wcdbY
https://youtu.be/AI4fPB7qS00
>>
>>33168772
So will being nuts. Forget it, choose another job.
>>
>>33187391
Follow your dreams anon, I assure you military life is better than being stuck in a dead end job. Start exercising now so you can get in shape for basic, and figure out what you want to do in the military. Don't do what the recruiter tells you to do just because it's the most available job, be assertive with them. Study for the ASVAB as well so the higher score you get the more options you will have. Good luck.
>>
>>33170240
>But isn't college where you get brainwashed by liberal propaganda?

Anyone who can be brainwashed in the first place is a piece of shit, while school can be very useful. Not even a good troll. Now fuck off back to /pol/.

AF retired who greatly enjoyed his G.I. Bill here.
>>
>>33170309
Join FFL. That's fleeing pretty effectively.
>>
>>33170922
Post your fucking country. Not all forces are the same.

Otherwise, shut up, do what you are told, be calm, cool, and did I mention shut up and do what you are told?
>>
>>33187449
I have a labour job so I'm not completely fucked fitness wise, but I could be a hell of a lot better.
I don't even know what I'd like to do in the military, so I was thinking of just going infantry or combat engineer. Also, I'm Canadian so I don't know what the equivalent of the ASVAB is.
>>
>>33187416
Love this shit. My dad used to sing some of these when we'd go on walks. Used to hate it but now it's a fond memory.
>>
>>33187490
I believe the Canadian equivalent of the ASVAB is called the CFAT, I can't help you with much else since I'm not Canadian.
>>
>>33187525
That's ok, I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks for the encouragement, anon.
>>
>>33177429
>If you aint infantry, you aint shit.

Explain the advantages and disadvantages of doing a full infantry career.
>>
>>33177742
>How the fuck does someone lose 4lbs per week?

Stop replacing the fucking calories you burn off.

Worked for me nicely.
>>
>>33187490

I was in the same spot as you brother, minus the degree. Military's a good place to get squared away.

>>33187512
Germans have good walking/hiking songs too if you can understand some of the language.

https://youtu.be/maDPVkR_8VI
https://youtu.be/lYJ1ddifDs0
https://youtu.be/pLAdSs9FUmo
https://youtu.be/zkpwshZiXxw
https://youtu.be/FBeL_-tZNH4
https://youtu.be/yTZYashrGGM
>>
>>33186369
I think that mostly goes into lesbians. Mostly.
>>
>>33186369
I mean that's a good idea. Spread so much of your own dna and create a sub species of human. You will be the ancestor to the race that dominates the planet if you donate enough sperm.
Get the strongest of your offspring to donate sperm as well.
>>
>>33187611
I don't have a degree. And is getting "squared away" a good thing? I've never heard that saying before.
>>
>>33187416
Man this if fucking great dude. I just found all this shit on Spotify. Thanks a bunch!
>>
>>33187722
Not to /pol/ too hard here, but why exactly should Vets get free college?
>>
File: war is hell.jpg (28KB, 667x480px) Image search: [Google]
war is hell.jpg
28KB, 667x480px
>>33187809

Because they earned it by volunteering to serve their country, and now the country owe's them a debt of gratitude.

Normies don't deserve shit they didn't earn.

>inb4 why does the country owe them a debt of gratitude?
Because volunteering for the armed forces is short of contractually-obligated-indentured-servitude. A sacrifice in many aspects.

I'm a big believer that pogs don't deserve anything, in fact combat jobs deserve a massive bonus compared to pencil pushers
>>
>>33187715
>is getting squared away a good thing

OH BOY ARE YOU IN FOR SOME VOCABULARY EXPANSION

Squared away means you're doing the right thing at all possible times. I donno dunno how spartan the Canadian army is but the American army will drill the attitude into you even in its current lax state.
>>
>>33187809

They don't get "free" college, the college is paid for by the GI Bill, which is part of the enlistment package. It's part of the contract.

No one deserves anything for free.
>>
>>33187715

"Squared away" is a Naval term for "having one's shit together". It means being disciplined, groomed, and holding oneself to a decent standard... something that will put you ahead of the curve when it comes to counterparts in civilian world
>>
>>33187947

>in fact combat jobs deserve a massive bonus compared to pencil pushers

>implying combat jobs don't already get a bonus for doing their duty compared to pencil pushers

IDP/HDP sound familiar?
>>
>>33187991
Shhhhh, he just got out of TRADOC.
>>
>>33187947

>POGs don't deserve anything
>Not sure if armchair infantry or just infantry
>>
>>33187991
A measly +$225 a month...

I COULD LOSE MY NUTSACK OUT THERE

Hey... at least it's something
>>
>>33188025
Well why do you say that?

I'm a civilian
>>
>>33187956
>>33187980
I thought it meant something along those lines but I wasn't sure.
I honestly think the military would be good for me but it's such a huge step and it kinda scares me.
>>
>>33188052

Don't be scared. I'm happy I did my five years, but I knew when to get out. You'll enjoy your time in, you just have to give it your all
>>
>>33187991

Pencil pusher here, I get extra skill pay in excess of what IDP, but I get it every month even when not deployed. Also much easier promotions, earlier BAH/BAS, fat re-up bonuses, and better after service opportunities.

Tell me again how shooters are better paid. The Army is well aware that they have to compensate people with transferable skills better to keep them.
>>
>>33188110
Thanks, anon.
I should just apply, I can always back out if I want to
>>
>>33187947
I am inclined to agree. I know so many people who made decent money and now get free college and call themselves "veterans" for playing World of Warcraft, jacking off and doing Taco Bell runs for 4 years in the Air Force.
>>
>>33188447
They still had to "show up".

Something most millenials don't and won't do. They're not entitled to anything.
>>
>>33188447
>>33187947

>Dad was in the Air Force in Vietnam
>Stationed in Thailand
>Routinely had to keep working the flightline while partisan mortars came down
>Had to cross his fingers and hope that SecFo got to the guys mortaring the base before they honed in their aim and got to them
>Career was spent working 12 hour shifts, drills in chemical suits in sweltering heat, and living with military discipline
>Come on /meg/ while getting in shape to sign CCT contract in 4-5 months
>Fags who are probably no-serves talking all that shit
>One or two of them might have been infantry for four years

I hope that none of you ever serve because the military doesn't need your autism.
>>
>>33188521
Dude what the fuck is all that about?

Your point?
>>
File: Air Force inferiority complex.gif (38KB, 700x355px) Image search: [Google]
Air Force inferiority complex.gif
38KB, 700x355px
>>33188542
Air Force, even the ones who didn't make it past basic, have non stop inferiority complexes and bring it up even when its not warranted.

Just ignore them and they go away.
>>
>>33188570
True. Ironically the last thing he said was
>I hope that none of you ever serve because the military doesn't need your autism

Sounds like projection, to me.
>>
>>33187463
If he joined the FFL, then he would just be protecting that kebab riddled commie shithole, not fleeing.
>>
>>33187809
>>33187947
the GI Bill isn't free, every service member pays into it, the argument for free college is that tax payers money should support public and state colleges, like how it used to be
>>
>>33188623
Even if he is autistic he is right, like 90% of the anons that post in these threads haven't even made it to MEPS.
>>
>>33188718
It isn't free, but you don't have to pay money into it either. It's bought with service.
>>
>>33188814
$100 a month for 12 months states otherwise.
>>
>>33188999
That's the MGIB you mouthbreather. Not the same thing as the post-9/11 GIB
>>
>>33188999

Did not pay this, using the GI Bill just fine.

Why would you opt-in for the MGIB when the Post-9/11 is so much better and free?
>>
>>33168637

>Watching PJ/CCT training documentary
>Class starts at ~120
>By week 5 it's down to ~26
>Cue "Hell Day"
>Down to ~14
>The rest make it

Hearing 85-90% attrition and seeing it in practice are vastly different things. I imagine that going through it is something you'd remember for the rest of your life.
>>
>>33188999
>>33189018

Thats the MGIB kicker you Mongoliods. You pay in x and the feds payout 4x. The MGIB and Post 911 are free provided you serve.
>>
>>33189027

Nasty Girls or people that have full rides so theyd rather pocket the MGIB
>>
>>33189018
It's really convenient that none of the earlier posts said post 9/11, they all say GI Bill. What makes it even more hilarious is that you imbeciles don't realize they're both the GI Bill, Montgomery GI BILL/Post 9/11 GI BILL.

>>33189027
Honestly I fell asleep during the class and only remembered you can switch from mgib to post 9/11 later on and get your money back. I figured I would do more of my own research when I got off the plantation.

>>33189100
You don't even know what a kicker is.
Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) For active duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.
>>
>>33189163
It depends on where you're at, the post 9/11 could still be better. For example, getting a $4200 housing allowance which is double the mgib, and staying at your parent's house.
>>
>>33189163

People with full rides still pocket more money with the Post-9/11 unless they live in bumfuck nowhere. Post-9/11 pays out bank in most places with good colleges.
>>
>>33168637
Old ass fag here.

Whats everyones opinion on old dudes making it through boot camp age 28-30?
>>
>>33185636
You're right. The Post 9/11 "Last Payer" Clause doesn't apply to federal title IV funds (pell grant, SOG, federal direct loans)
>>
>>33189286

I'm going in at 26 and will turn 27 in either boot camp or tech school depending on how soon I ship. I'm told that we are like wisened elders among the fresh out of high school kids.
>>
>>33189328
Fuck I don't want to be any of those things.
>>
>>33189286
What branch? Navy, you'll be fine.

Pretty sure Air Force and Marines (and maybe Army too) will require an Old Man waiver to even list
>>
>>33189398
AF just raised it a couple years ago. While I was at RTC. FML.
>>
Any Nasty Girls in here know if you can use the MGIB and Federal tuition assistance at thehr same time?
>>
File: muh uniform.jpg (994KB, 4031x3024px) Image search: [Google]
muh uniform.jpg
994KB, 4031x3024px
Seabee anon here again, its our unit's 75th anniversary on Monday which is pretty awesome. if you want to do some mil shit like shooting but also learn a trade military construction is the way to go. (Seabees, Army Corp of Engineers, Red Horse etc.) Once again feel free to ask questions about the Navy and the 'bees
>>
>>33175334
I dont agree 90% of the AF guys ive seen on base are spooky skeletons
>>
Joining the 75th Rangers.

I've heard all about the training, physical requirements and their role in combat zones, but I want some more info on a few things

1- day to day life, and how much it differs from regular infantry
2-What are the people like that make it through selection(not what gets them through selection, just wondering about typical personality traits of a Ranger)
3- Deployments in the next 6 years
4-standards for equipment. Basically, how much freedom do Rangers have in choosinf and setting up kit and weapons
>>
>>33190171
You get an option 40 yet?
>>
>>33190183
Not yet. Recruter is being an faggot so I'm waiting him out
>>
>>33190262
I lucked out and got one last week with a 20k quickship bonus.

11x, too. I ship the 21st. Good luck getting one.
>>
>>33190288
Not the guy youre replying to but can you green text the interaction with your recruiter?
>>
>>33189286
>>33189328
We had a older black guy in my bootcamp division (navy) the RDCs started a running joke about him being a Admiral or Master Chief who was doing the undercover boss type thing. but besides that he preformed and was treating the same as everyone else, funny dude too. Towards the end he started to get a reputation as a leader/someone to ask for help but I wouldn't worry to much about that >>33189366 if you dont wanna be
>>
>>33190058
also, any navy E-4s have advice on the exam? I got a MP eval and this'll be my first time taking the test, of course the test is pretty different rate to rate i'm just looking for some general advice.
>>
>>33190288
what was your ASVAB and PT scores?
>>
>>33190308
>walk in January 2nd, it was a monday
>A guy with a armor stand on top of his desk with his combat loadout
>We shake hands
>asks me what brings me to the office
>Tell him I want the 11x option 40
>He tells me "Son, you know how rare an option 40 is? It's like finding a unicorn"
>I reply" I'm a magical guy"
>He laughs and has me take the practice asvab, tells me if I get anything below a 60, to just walk out and stop wasting his time
>Get a 61
>I have a juvenile battery charge and a weed charge that was dropped in court after pleading not guilty
>He starts the waiver process for the battery, army doesnt really care about weed charges anymore
>Go to MEPS (2 hour ride) take the real asvab, get a 67
>Wait another week, Go to MEPS again for the physical
>Get a picket fence
>Have to meet with the Commander because of my legal background
>He gives me the go ahead, but tells me I wont be getting an option 40
>Recruiter calls me, tells me my waiver was passed
>I yell HELL YEAH and he's pretty excited that im excited. He starts scrolling through eligible jobs for me
>30+ with insane sign on bonuses, but tell him I want to be 11b
>He has to make a call, tells me he needs a backup job incase he cant get me an infantry slot. I decide on 13fox.
>"Hey so and so, I got this knucklehead in front of me that is eligible for 30 jobs, but he only wants Infantry"
>"Uh huh, uh huh, thank you sir"
>He looks at me and says I hope I like 13fox
>Im devastated and I ask "You serious sir"?
>"Nah man, just fuckin with ya!"
>Pulls up my job, tells me im gonna shit my pants
>Option 40 with a 20k quickship
>So fucking excited, I could bearhug the dude
>He's former 0311/11b who served in the invasion of Iraq so I decide to just shake his hand
>Headed to MEPS this sunday with my slot reserved

>>33181433
Proof I got it.
>>
File: IMG_5614.jpg (510KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5614.jpg
510KB, 1920x1080px
What was/is life like as an Army Officer? It is my dream to join after I graduate in a few years. I have no clue what the life of one is like however, and I can't find any information about it online.
>>
>>33190428
67 Asvab 107 GT never had to do a PT test. I'm in pretty good shape though. Have 14 weeks of OSUT and then airborne school to get me yolked enough for ranger school
>>
>>33190480

All of the female Officers of any branch that I personally know are hot. I'm sure that there are ugly or average looking Officers, but I've only ever personally seen the hotties.
>>
>>33190508
Good luck man.
>>
>>33190471
Best of luck
>>
File: IMG_5347.jpg (28KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5347.jpg
28KB, 271x186px
Literally me
>>
Should I join tacp or secfor
>>
>>33190613

TACP.
>>
>>33190535
>>33190554
Thanks guys, i'll do my very best and then some!
>>
>>33189219
>they all say GI Bill.

Most people mean the Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) when they say GI Bill.
>>
>>33190471
Thats dope man, thanks for writing this up.

Shit's on paper!
>>
>>33190571
Fred?
>>
>>33190674
George
>>
>>33190613
Stay away from security forces like the plague. Mid 2000's with ilo we had great deployments doing all kinds of cool shit. Now the peacetime bullshit is taking over and it's a fucking terrible career field.

T. K9 ten years got out 2014
>>
Can you go 75th Ranger or Green Beret (yes, I know it's technically called Special Forces) with glasses?
>>
>>33190618
>>33190699
Thanks, I've already taken the asvab and scored into both just needed finally confirmation.
Also SecFor that bad, I was looking into DAGRE and seemed pretty cool
>>
>>33190717
yes
>>
>>33190719

DAGRE looks cool as fuck. CPET looks cool as fuck. Phoenix-Raven looks cool as fuck. But my understanding is that everybody in SecFor wants those jobs and they are only available in limited numbers. Hard to get into.
>>
>>33190717
Yeah. You can also get PRK correction for free and have 20/20. Do not get LASIK. That will disqualify you from Ranger/SF
>>
How old is too old to commission if I want to be a flag officer?
>>
>>33190717
>(yes, I know it's technically called Special Forces)
I hate how this has to be clarified. Fucking spergs (not you, mind you. But the people whom you were anticipating)
>>
>>33190753
I will admit, I always mixed up Special Forces and Special Operations before I found out the difference. It's like when they get butt-flustered if you say "Delta" instead of "The Unit" or "Team 6" instead of "Devgru"
>>
>>33190741
>everybody in SecFor wants those jobs and they are only available in limited numbers
I thought so, I've also been reading that tacp is undermanned
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.