[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /k/ I'm writing an researched backed essay for my English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: CinSVCtWkAALG-U.jpg (63KB, 600x781px) Image search: [Google]
CinSVCtWkAALG-U.jpg
63KB, 600x781px
Hi, /k/

I'm writing an researched backed essay for my English class on firearms. I'm basically saying that the fear of gun-violence is hysterical and overblown. I'm going to try and present this while not being emotional myself. Rather I'm going to use several government statistics, and also examine from a philosophical aspect as to why we can be so fearful of them.

I'm mainly going to cite the US population vs. the average annual gun deaths since 2011 (perhaps a more broad time-frame if I can find research for it) and mention how statistically insignificant they are. I'm also planning on breaking down what caused those deaths, even if they do end of being skewed towards more violent reasons, I want to be fair.

Do you think there could be other compelling reason to support the 2nd amendment while also trying to be as objective as possible?
>>
>>33163363
https://www.aei.org/publication/chart-of-the-day-more-guns-less-gun-violence-between-1993-and-2013/
>>
"God made man, but Samuel Colt made man equal." This famous quote embodies the true importance of firearms as the great equalizer. When both are armed with handguns a 110 pound woman and her 220 pound would be rapist are on equal footing in terms of combat capability. The woman can defend herself effectively despite having no martial arts training or physical strength to speak of. By removing firearms from the equation you are left with the rule of the physically strong. In addition, the possibility of a mark being armed with a handgun is a serious deterrant to any prospective criminal. Certain sexist politicians such as Diane Feinstein, a democratic representative from California, have argued that women cannot use firearms to defend themselves effectively but this has been proven incorrect by the recent success of women in our armed forces. Places with strict firearms bans such as the United Kingdom are plauged by knife murders so much so that "knife control" has come to replace "gun control" with programs like "Get a life, bin that knife!" pleading with urban youths to disarm. Violence will never be gone from this world. Guns, knives, baseball bats, crude wooden clubs fashioned from a stick, a particularly point umbrella, or even bare hands are weapons of murder if the user sees fit to use them as such. The difference with guns is that we can use them to protect ourselves regardless of physical disposition or melee combat training. Gun control isn't the key to making a peaceful contemporary society, instead it puts us back into the dark ages.
>>
>>33163419

Thanks, this is really interesting

>>33163506

Thanks these are interesting points. I'm trying to avoid being super political, or getting to specigic topics like rape, but these are interesting points, i'll look into them more.
>>
>>33163363
It's likely worth citing that gun ownership has increased per capita since roughly the end of WWII, while gun violence (any crime committed with a gun, regardless of whether it was used) has as a trend decreased since before the 1970s consistently
>>
File: homicide-rate.gif (39KB, 1607x929px) Image search: [Google]
homicide-rate.gif
39KB, 1607x929px
>>33163363
You might also want to bring up that "gun death" and the homicide rate are things that both have to be looked at ..
e.g. Switzerland has more gun-homicides but is a safer place to live in than most other European countries.
Using the hoplophobe way of looking at data, Estonia would seem to be is safer than Switzerland although murders happen about ten times as often.
>>
>>33163721
Please also note that the chart shows that Mexico would still see more murders than the US even is they had no guns ... (and would choose not to kill the people using a different method)
So guns coming from the US can't really be the source for the problems in Mexico...
>>
>>33163506
>Places with strict firearms bans such as the United Kingdom are plauged by knife murders so much so that "knife control" has come to replace "gun control" with programs like "Get a life, bin that knife!"
Kek very good up until that point and then you're just falling for an overblown meme.
The knife bins were 15 years ago and mocked and filled with trash.
>>
>>33163795
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaILw9aP1UY
>>
>>33163824
Yea that did happen you can't get mall ninja shit anymore. What a fucking shame.

Unless you go to an actual junk shop in which case they're still readily available.

You want a proper knife no sweat.
>>
>>33163506
I appreciate the info you provided. I did not know UK was having a knife problem.
>>
File: 1472695294727.jpg (51KB, 775x491px)
1472695294727.jpg
51KB, 775x491px
>>
File: IMG_2836.png (281KB, 960x960px)
IMG_2836.png
281KB, 960x960px
>>33163363
Here f a m use this somehow
>>
>>33164687
I meant the numbers of course and the blocks
>>
>>33163363
>The homicide rate in the US has dropped by 43% since the mid '90s, despite the population increasing by ~20%. Homicide rates are at their lowest in 20 years, while gun sales have been growing enormously for the last 20 years. This objectively demonstrates that there is NO correlation between civilian gun ownership and homicide rates.
>For further evidence to back previous point, compare gun laws and homicide rates on a state-by-state basis. You'll find that there's no correlation between the two.
>For further evidence, point to the Czech Republic, which has less restrictive gun laws than many US states, yet one of the lowest crime rates in Europe.
>Many compare homicide rates of countries like England and Japan to the US and argue that the US rate is disproportionately high. This is misleading. The US records homicide statistics based on police reports. The UK and Japan record them based on convictions. Given that most murders are never solved, let alone successfully prosecuted, you can see how the comparison is apples and oranges. In fact, examining UK Coroner's Reports based on cause of death reveals an actual homicide rate that is very much comparable to the US.
>The US conducted a 10 year experiment in '94 known as the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban. The Justice Department was ordered to compile a report on the effectiveness of the ban based on crime statistics and police reports. They concluded in no uncertain terms that the '94 AWB had no measurable effect on crime, due to the fact that the banned weapons were almost never used in crimes anyway. This is backed up by the fact that crime continued to plummet after the ban elapsed in 2004.
>A study of police evidence lookers shows that when such weapons were confiscated, the overwhelming majority were confiscated during drug raids, rather than at crime scenes. Criminals in the vast majority of cases prefer to use black market, shitty handguns when they want to actually kill someone.
>>
>>33163363
You don't really have to for English class. The teacher is more interested in your command of the language. In fact, a better test of your English skills would be for you to write it from a pro-gun control pov. See if you can do it without bias and weasle language creeping it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.