[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best way to refinish a mosin stock without bubba gunning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 20170226_192525.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170226_192525.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Best way to refinish a mosin stock without bubba gunning it? Shelac is nasty
>>
>>33153472
Wonder what a mosin would look like in candy apple red...
>>
>Refinishing
>Not bubba
Pick one.
>>
>>33153528
I want it to look almost factory, ive used it for a while and the shelac is peeling off
>>
>>33153472
You can buy spray cans of shelac man it's not as nasty as it used to be.
>>
>>33153472
Although people in collector's circles would almost assuredly skin me alive for doing this, I thoroughly de-cosmolined my SKS through refinishing it, and the process may help you too.

>Intial wipedown + garbage bags in the sun

>After the bulk was removed, I carefully applied a heat gun to the stock from a safe distance and hand cleaned it with rags + mineral spirits

>Gently and lightly sanded the stock down to completely eliminate cosmoline trapped by the old shellac (the shellac was almost entirely destroyed by the time I received the rifle, and the scuffs on the stock were significant enough to warrant it)
*NOTE: DO NOT SAND CONTACT AREAS INSIDE THE STOCK*

>Used a wood-friendly soap emulsified in water and a toothbrush to further clean the stock after sanding (by this point the wood appeared white)
>Reapplied amber shellac to it, three coats with sanding in between

Looks fantastic now, and not even a hint of cosmo was left over; what I did was probably over the top by most people's standards, but I enjoy the hell out of that rifle now more than ever
>>
>>33153593
Forgot to mention a light sanding after applying the soap product to remove raised grains on the wood
>>
>>33153472
boiled linseed oil before some kind of sealer, shelac is frowned upon by fudds but it doesnt harm the wood at all
this is all given you've sanded it correctly, which I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did
>>
how do you guys get rid of the cosmoline in the stock
>>
Mosins weren't even shellac'd during either war. They used linseed oil like everyone else.
>>
>>33153543
>My justification makes it not bubba
It's bubba as fuck.
>>
>>33153940
Black garbage bag in the sun, followed by a serious wipe down, will get rid of most of it.
>>
>>33154096
Alternatively put it in a car preferably covered in a towel

Alternatively a hair dryer works if you prefer tedious hand work
>>
>>33154050
Dammit, I just noticed my filter was off
>>
>>33153472
Extra fine sand paper, stain to taste.

They look good in beechwood, dark brown as well.
>>
>>33153472
And people wonder why prices of unfucked Mosins are going up when retards like OP buy them and ruin them.

You should just buy a Ruger American.
>>
>>33154217
ive narrowed it down to a heatgun or a sun lamp
>>
Before applying the shellac use Swedish pine tar on the wood.
>>
>>33153472
Refinishing a pre-war stock, you dun goofed OP.
>>
>>33153472
refinishing it is bubbaing it. It doesn't matter if you do a good job or even make the gun higher quality. Still a bubba job and if the rifle was worth something it won't be after you're done.

Anything you do would be considered bubba. Is it at least matching or something or is it just a rearsenal mixed gun?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.