[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/, was recently gifted a Ruger AR15 lower (pictured)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 35875-DEFAULT-l.jpg (96KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
35875-DEFAULT-l.jpg
96KB, 1350x900px
Hello /k/, was recently gifted a Ruger AR15 lower (pictured) and need to assemble/purchase the rest. First time poster (/o/tist), and if I'm being honest, I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. I guess what I'm asking is if you guys prefer to purchase online (and what sites you use), or from local B&Ms. Also, if you have any websites with information I can view to better educate myself on the subject, please feel free to share. Looking to build it for range use and self-defense if the world goes to shit lol. Is it possible to build a decent beginner AR for $800- $900? I don't hunt or do matchs (yet), so no real specifics in mind. Also, is there any real difference between .223 and 5.56? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>33144727
Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uag39L5Nds
>>
>>33144727
> First time poster (/o/tist), and if I'm being honest, I haven't got a clue what I'm doing.
Welcome to /k/, now get out.

> I guess what I'm asking is if you guys prefer to purchase online (and what sites you use), or from local B&Ms
Online, the LGS has unbranded parts of questionable quality. I use MidwayUSA, Brownells, Amazon's underbelly, EBay's anus, wherever else Google takes me.

> Also, if you have any websites with information I can view to better educate myself on the subject, please feel free to share.
Youtube

> Is it possible to build a decent beginner AR for $800- $900?
possible, yes, decent ... is subjective

> I don't hunt or do matchs (yet), so no real specifics in mind.
Mil-spec all the way

> Also, is there any real difference between .223 and 5.56?
Yes, pressure and muzzle velocity
>>
>>33144727
>Is it possible to build a decent beginner AR for $800- $900?
Absolutely, shit you could build one for 450 if you really tried. My advice is stay away from shit companies i.e DPMS, ATI, CORE-15, e.t.c. Palmetto state armory is cheap but the quality is much better than other alternatives of the same price. The lower is easy as fuck to build, and requires no special tools save for a castle nut wrench, which can be substituted for in a pinch. If it's your first, i would reccomend buying a complete upper. Something like this
>https://www.midwayusa.com/product/718635/colt-ar-15-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel-flip-up-rear-sight
simple but not cheaply made by a long shot
>>
File: 20170227_222329.png (473KB, 1342x1312px)
20170227_222329.png
473KB, 1342x1312px
>>33145073
I should back up a bit if it's your first rifle, my bad.

there are two parts to an AR15. The upper reciever and lower reciever (both pictured). There are two pins that you pop out with your fingers and lift them apart. The lower, as I mentioned, is as easy as hammering a few pins and springs in place, and inserting some screws. You can youtube it and have the job done in less than an hour. The lower's parts have no real effect on the accuracy or performance of the rifle itsself. The upper is a different story. It requires a lot of tools and work that can be too much for a new gun owner, which is why most people just buy a complete upper.

Also I should add, 5.56 is the military version of .223. 5.56 has more power and the neck of the casing (the term for this is headspacing) has more material, so therefore cannot fire from a rifle chambered for .223. However, rifles chambered for 5.56 can fire both rounds fine. AR-15's commonly come in both chamberings, so pay attention to your weapon's markings and the ammo you buy
>>
>>33145235
>The lower's parts have no real effect on the accuracy or performance of the rifle itsself.
a good trigger can improve accuracy

> requires a lot of tools and work that can be too much for a new gun owner
I had to get a vice block and a set of headspace gauges. The vice block was specific to the upper, but so was the vice block for the lower. Everything else used tools I had to use on my lower build, including an AR wrench and torque wrench. Every guy should already have a torque wrench in his tool chest, and every AR builder should have an AR wrench.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.