[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /k/ quick question. i was working out yesterday, preparing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: armypushups.jpg (63KB, 720x537px) Image search: [Google]
armypushups.jpg
63KB, 720x537px
hey /k/ quick question.
i was working out yesterday, preparing myself for my attempt to join the U.S. military in the near future and i was day dreaming like usual and a question popped into my head:

if you can't work out a muscle every day because it needs time to recover and heal those micro tears, or else the continuous strain on the muscle without the recovery between workouts will damage the muscle and make it smaller and weaker. so, how do all the military personnel from all the branches in the military but especially the more rigorous ones (marines, army) work out the same muscles every single day without recovery time and manage to complete the multi months long training not only without smaller weaker damaged muscles but even with muscles that have grown and become stronger and healthier? multiple times i have heard from my marine friends that at the end of boot camp they not only lost X amount of pounds in fat but also gained dozen(s) of pounds in muscle. so could someone who has experience or knowledge in this area please explain this phenomenon to me?
>>
>>33143060
you alternate between cardio and muscle failure days.
>>
>>33143079
put don't you do the same workout every single day? like hundreds of pushups every single day? how does this not cause dangerous strain on the muscles?
>>
>>33143060
There is surprisingly little PT in USMC boot camp. They just get you on a diet that promotes muscle growth and do some easy/mid-tier PT every two or three days.
>>
>>33143101
You watch way too many movies
>>
>>33143105
>There is surprisingly little PT in USMC boot camp
this is contrary to every single thing i have every watched relating to usmc boot camp or heard from people who have attended.
>>
they work out on alternating days. strenght day one day, running the next. repeat. Usually have one day off from PT as a rest day. Also understand that most of the food served in military cafeterias is some variation of high protein and high carbs. Chicken and rice is a popular one, spaghetti and meatballs, etc
>>
>>33143060
1st as already stated you alternate, and 2nd military PT is a bit of a joke. Movies, documentaries, and vets all really play it up. Unless you pass the wrong NCO off as a private its pretty easy stuff.

Every other prt session I go to I hear a big speech about how its just supplementary and I need to go to the gym on my own.
>>
>>33143153
i fully understand the military serves nutritious food but that doesn't answer my question about muscle fatigue. if you are working out the same muscle to rigorous extents every single day (hundreds/thousands) of pushups, sit ups, pull ups and miles upon miles of running how does your muscle recover in the what? 8-7 hours of non pt a day/night you get?
>>
>>33143208
You really have no idea what pt is like.
>>
>>33143208
Your question has been answered 3 times you fucking child.
YOU
ALTERNATE
DAYS
It isn't hundreds or thousands of anything
I think the most pushups we did in a day was 120, in 4 sets of 30
The next day, you don't do any pushups at all.
You run.
Repeat.

How is this not getting through to you? You've got what appears to be several military members including myself in this thread answering your question, yet you default back to what you saw in movies?
PT takes up at most 2 hours a day. That includes pre and post stretching.

I sincerely hope you're trolling, but I also doubt it because of the caliber of people I know browse this website.
>>
this is the same reason body builders don't work out every single day: because the muscles cant handle it. and will damage/shrink them without enough recovery. thats why they alternate between arms, legs, back, etc, etc... but in the military you do the same workout every day right? or at least nearly every day. im just trying to figure out how people recover in these military training situations.
>>
>>33143208
The human body is "built" to run basically forever. So that's a non issue. And muscle failure Hurst for like the first month after that you just adapt.

The whole "every other day is a rest day" is horseshit to anyone who works out seriously.
>>
>>33143281
sorry for angering you. i guess my conception of exercise in the military was exaggerated. thanks for replying and fixing my idea of physical activity in the military.
>>
>>33143060
>they not only lost X amount of pounds in fat but also gained dozen(s) of pounds in muscle.
Also known as Newbie Gains.

Pretty much if you take someone who doesn't work out at all their body naturally isn't used to using the energy they are eating and is mostly just putting said energy into fat stores within the body for eventual use. When someone suddenly starts working out (continuously at that) the fat stores rejoice and can suddenly unload large amounts of their stores in conjunction with the body now having to burn some of the more readily available energy from the food they are eating. You hit the magical newbie gain zone where your body is burning fat stores like crazy and also burning your intake calories more than it has previously.

This magical effect only really last 1-2 months (if that) until your body normalizes and your fat stores within your body go to a normal equilibrium within intake/outtake. The more energy you burn in a day, the less your body stores in fat as you "burn" all your intake calories. This is where calculating your daily calorie requirement comes in and staying "in maintenance" for your intake.
>>
>>33143313
if you can do 50 girl push ups youre qualified to be a green beret

military physical standards are baby tier stop worrying
>>
>>33143313
In the Air Force we have to do 67 full rotations back to back and 20 raises/lowers at minimum, M W F, or else we get an article 15. It's harder than you think, especially for people like me with a sensitive inner ear. It took me a few months to stop throwing up from the roties.
>>
>>33144451
>67 full rotations back to back
>20 raises/lowers
>M W F
>article 15

i don't know what any of this means.
>>
>>33144958
The first two are fucking with you.
Monday Wednesday Friday.
Article 15 of the UCMJ, Nonjudicial Punishment.
>>
>>33143060
That guy at the top is a fucking weakling if he can't keep a straight back when everyone below him can.
>>
>>33143289
overtraining is a myth
/fit/ here
>no one in this thread has a clue
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.