[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Went to the range and I dry fired my weapons to make sure they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0946.png (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0946.png
2MB, 1536x2048px
Went to the range and I dry fired my weapons to make sure they were clear while I was pointed down range. Rangemaster came up and told me how bad it was. It sounds like BS to me "firing pin doesn't have anything to strike so it's bad" I have high quality weapons....is dry firing bad? Thanks guys.
>>
>>33131120
If the firing pin isn't hitting anything, how could it be bad?

Take a hammer, and swing it in the air. Did anything happen?
>>
>>33131120
If its a modern striker fire pistol like a glock you can dry fire all day. Ars are fine. Anything like a rimfire isnt good to dry fire tho.
>>
Crystallizes the metal in the firing pin, bro.

[spoiler]Dry firing nearly any modern center fire rifle is fine.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Does /k/ even support spoiler tags? I can't remember. Here's hoping.[/spoiler]
>>
I can see why people think it's bad, but I'm sure it's not as big of a problem as it was in the old days with worse metallurgy but nowadays we have that shit worked out.

>>33131206
ctrl+s to autospoiler, and the extension tells you if the board you're on supports spoilers.
>>
OP here.... I have both glocks and hammer fired Hk, CZ, Colt.... That's what I thought...hammers are hitting th firing pin which is hitting air... can't be that bad. What does crystallizing the fire pin mean and does this happen in normal use when shooting?
>>
>>33131274

> What does crystallizing the fire pin mean

Nothing, I was making fun of old wives tales RO's still tell to this day. Iron has a crystalline structure to begin with.
>>
DO NOT dryfire
>any old guns
>anything rimfire
SHOULD NOT dryfire
>any revolvers
>anything striker fired
>>
OP here...I'm going to get one of the new Colt cobras... should I not dry fire that? Thanks guys. Big help.
>>
>>33131175
In many modern rim fires the manual tends to state if dry firing is ok or not.

Trust me op, unless your gun is an insanely old rimfire it's probably fine to dry fire
>>
>>33131484

> Anything striker fired

Not sure on Glocks, but my PPQ manual says it's fine. It's required for disassembly.
>>
>>33131536
Dude unless you have a really old rim fire it's fine to dry fire. Do it all you want it won't hurt anything
>>
>>33131599
It's required for every striker fired handgun I can think of except the P320.
>>
OP here yea that's what I thought... I have a Garand, I don't fire that much much less dry fire it. Other then that, I dry fire.
>>
>>33131484
You can dryfire a ruger DA revolver as much as you like, it even says so in the manual.
>>
>>33131484
>anything rimfire
Ruger 10/22 manual says it is a-okay
>>
>>33131804
>>33131599
>>33131570
>They believe the long nosed hook lies that will deteriorate their guns faster so you'll have to buy a new one

Good goyim :^)
>>
>>33131120
>dry fired to make sure they were clear
U fuckin wot m8
>>
Old rimfires are an issue because the firing pin is hitting metal each time it goes off. Eventually it could cause the pin to wear down, which would need repair/replacement to work again.

There are some older gun designs that aren't rimfire that you don't want to dry fire due to design flaws/brittle parts. I have a couple of early 1900's automatic pistols (.25, .32) that are like that. Could snap the firing pin dry firing it, but mostly because the gun is so damn old and also a real simple design.

Pretty much do what you want to nigga
>>
>>33131845

The +P ammo is already doing that far quicker, my man.
>>
>>33131484
Why do you think you cant dry fire new production revolvers?
>>
The no dry fire rule applies to firearms without a floating firing pin design. Most striker fired pistols like Glock and XD's are fine to dry fire. Glock requires it for field strip. The AR-15 also has a floating firing pin. Older revolvers with the firing pin mounted on the hammer are one example of a gun you don't want to dry fire. You also want to avoid dry firing most rimfire guns because of their design. They strike the rim of the cartridge. Without something in the chamber the firing pin will slam into the chamber wall leaving a dent. This will eventually cause the gun to malfunction. Ruger is one exception of a .22 design you can dry fire. Their Mark series pistols require a dry fire to disassemble. The same is true for their SR-22 pistol series. They have firing pin stops built in. But those examples are the exception. Most people don't want to take the time to do the research on which ones are okay to dry fire and which aren't so they use the blanket statement "don't dry fire any gun!" It is true that if you live by that philosophy you won't hurt any of your guns.
>>
Some guns yes some guns no.

For instance the manual for an XDs says no extensive dryfire.
>>
>>33131120
Friendly reminder that your guns aren't weapons until used as such

Just like baseball bats and golf clubs aren't weapons until used as such

>but muh military
>>
>>33132264

This.

>you can't dry fire a rimfire!
>has a 10/22 wheee you dry fire every magazine because lol no bolt hold open
>>
>>33131484
Smith and Wesson's website says it's fine to dryfire non-rimfire revolvers.
>>
>>33131633
Shield here. Also required.
>>
>>33132264
>The no dry fire rule applies to firearms without a floating firing pin design
You can dry fire a spring loaded firing pin just fine.
>>
>>33132287
>For instance the manual for an XDs says no extensive dryfire.

I bought a complete AR-15 upper from Del-Ton, and the warranty was voided if you dry fired your rifle after full assembly.

I didn't understand that directive, and I still don't. If the firing pin is prone to breakage if it doesn't hit a primer, wouldn't fuck up faster when it's smacking into something?
>>
>>33132405
>You can dry fire a spring loaded firing pin just fine.

If it's a center fire.
>>
>>33131484
real version
>do not consistently dry fire old as fuck firearms because the firing pin/springs might finally shit the bed and that dry firing is the equivalent of shooting the gun
>old as fuck garbage .22 rifles from the 20's have firing pins that will overextend and hit the chamber face and can either crack or peen due to it; this being solved on every semi modern .22 by a shorter fucking firing pin.
>>
>>33131633
M&P and Ruger SR pistols have a bar inside you push down instead of pulling the trigger. I just got an XD Mod.2 and I don't think l have to pull the trigger on it either.
>>
>>33131206
Bruh, you got amorphous metals in your firing pins?
>>
>>33132978
I didn't know that about the M&P, I've seen people pull the trigger. The XD does need the trigger pulled.
>>
File: img_20170217_123322.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
img_20170217_123322.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
Is an SKS fine to dry fire?
>>
>>33131149
you can actually fuck up your rotator cuff by doing that too much
>>
>>33131120
If you're going to be doing it a bunch, buy snap caps. Probably not needed but why risk it over a few bucks
>>
The only fudd youll ever watch again find out how this one old man is getting putang on levels not seen since a candy shop owner in the great depression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op1167lTVmI

>>33131120
>>
>>33133033
Yeah, it is a thin little bar that folds down. You can use your finger, but this is why they say the part you take out to change palm swells doubles as a 'disassembly tool's or something like that.
The one in the Ruger is larger and easier to push down with your finger.
It is supposed to be an extra safety feature for people who don't properly clear the gun.

Just double checked the Mod.2 in case it was different than the standard XD. You were right, my mistake.
>>
>>33131120
Is it centerfire? Dry fire doesn't hurt centerfire guns. It can hurt some rimfire guns.
>>
File: 1474550488096.jpg (13KB, 321x185px) Image search: [Google]
1474550488096.jpg
13KB, 321x185px
>>33133189
>>
>>33132264
So basically as long as you're sure the firing pin isn't striking anything when you dry fire.. it's perfectly fine?
>>
>>33131120

as long as it wasn't a .22lr it's perfectly fine. it's bad for rimfire cartridges.

If it wasn't than the range"master" doesn't know fucking anything
>>
>>33133033
>>33132978
>>33131633
XD disassembles with a simple lever like many hammer fired designs. Dropping the striker is not required for takedown.
>>
Why do people say to not let the hammer hit the open lower receiver?
>>
>>33134163
Your hammer will explode.
>>
>>33131120
I would say it depends on the weapon system...I know in the military we were taught how to perform function checks on our m4's and the process did involve dry firing:

Place the selector lever on safe. If the selector switch will not go on safe, pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Place the selector lever on safe. Pull the trigger to the rear, the hammer should not fall.
Place the selector lever on semi. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear again. The hammer should fall.
Place the selector lever on burst. Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear three times and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear again. The hammer should fall.
>>
>>33134118
?
>>
>>33133189
Underrated post.
>>
>>33132296
Lol na

You're just butthurt that the libruls use the fact that its a weapon against you
>>
Which guns are actually affected by dry firing? Old ass revolvers from the 1800s'?
>>
>>33131175
You can damage glocks dry firing
>>
>>33136681
No you can't, dickhead. Pretty much every striker fired pistol is fine to dry fire because the striker isn't hitting another piece of metal when you dry fire.
>>
>>33131149
Just going off of that idea is bad.
Never dry fire q bow. The thing pretty much explodes
>>
>>33132296
...except it's a weapon. Say what you want, but a majority of guns were manufactured to kill people. Shooting targets is simulating shooting at someone.
>>
>>33131120
There is absolutely 0% damage from dry firing. Period, end of discussion.

Their may be some validity to revolvers, any other weapon it's 5000% bullshit.
>>
>>33137070
It is though
>>
>>33137108
Post source or grab the nearest Glock, press it against your skull and fire it loaded because dryfiring it is bad for it (apparently)
>>
>>33136681
You can damage Glocks by normal firing them.
>>
File: Breechface.jpg (73KB, 612x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Breechface.jpg
73KB, 612x1024px
>>33137070
why so upset?
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15807-Glock-cracked-breech-face-warranty-experience
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-684685.html
http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-92986.html

don't listen to 23 year olds on /k/, read about your specific gun and whether or not you can dryfire it without damaging it.
>>
>>33137100
don't own any .22s? do you own any guns?
>>
>>33131120
If that was the case 100% of military firearms would be fucked.
>>
>>33131120
Anything with free floating firing pins or rimfires shouldn't be dry fired.

Free floating pins can shatter, particularly if they're over hardened.
Rimfires can peen if the firing pin is longer than necessary.
>>
>>33133122
Yes and no, it depends on the quality of manufacture - lower quality models will have over hardened firing pins and can shatter if dry fired.
>>
>>33132296
you cant just quote a hypothetical argument as a means to discredit that argument, that makes no sense.

The military has firearms manufactured for them specifically to be used purely as weapons.
>>
>>33131120
Rangemaster sounds like a grade A fudd. The only guns you don't want to dry fire are rimfire weapons (.22's for instance) and old guns. Provided your guns are centerfire and made in the last 50 years, dryfire away.

The only thing you don't want to do on some guns is let the slide/bolt slam home on an empty chamber, but if you ride the slide a bit or just cock the hammer if you have one then you can dry fire all you want. In fact you should, it makes you a better shooter.
>>
B-but kindly old grandpa does nothing but dry fire weapons in his videos.

>mentions Bud's gun
>racks slide a few times
>pulls trigger
>thanks Federal ammo
>racks slide a few times
>pulls trigger
>mentions Glock
>racks slide a few times
>pulls trigger
>>
>>33131120
>YOUH"LL CHRYSTALLIZE DAH FIRIN' PIN
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.