[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm sure this has been a thread before, but do any of you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: baofenguv-5r.jpg (74KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
baofenguv-5r.jpg
74KB, 1000x1000px
I'm sure this has been a thread before, but do any of you guys have a Baofeng shortwave radio and what do you use it for?

Tempted to grab one just as a police scanner, but has anyone used one beyond that function? I keep seeing it brought up in relation to SHTF scenarios, is this because you can broadcast on multiple bands (assuming the airwaves aren't jammed and the FCC isn't dispatching deathsquads after a societal collapse)?

Will the FCC triangulate on my location if my brothers and I dropped down to 1 watt and used them on FRS channels on our hunting land? Is a GMRS license worth the $65?

I'd appreciate a quick rundown
>>
>>33123190
Short rundown.
>It's not a shortwave
>It does not function as a police scanner unless you local departments aren't already on digital trunking.
The rest you can learn with google.
>>
you can listin to the police on a app for your phone dont waste your money this thing is pointless
>>
>>33123190
Canada here

We use these in low power mode on large map woodsball matches (paintball rough-mil-sim).

The team with good radio coms always wins.
>>
>>33123266
>not shortwave
Gotcha

>Digital trunking
AFAIK the local depts are still accesible; there is a local FB page of people who post goings-on they pick up on their scanners, and I found a directory of all the local PD/Fire frequencies.

I've heard that the FCC no longer really gives much of a shit about people using GMRS channels without a license. I'd rather be safe than sorry and get the license, but are they really that anal about the device you use to transmit being part 9x certified?

>>33123320
No shit, chief. But I don't want to listen to radio chatter on my fucking cell phone.
>>
This is not a weapon.
>>>out
>>
>>33123688

>What is C3

It's popular because it's a $30 transceiver that can transmit on all the popular transceiver frequencies in 2M and 70cm bands, meaning you can use it to talk to those 2-way walkie-talkies they sell in Walmart, you can use it to talk to crusty ham operators on the 145MHz band, you can use it to talk on the maritime bands and so on.

Of course you need a license to transmit on most of the frequencies, but still.
>>
Relevant question for baofeng fags:

I have a UV-5R, pretty new. It has a problem that comes and goes. Every single sound it makes is covered by a squeaky scratching noise. Even the beeps from pushing buttons, so it's not a squelch issue. That noise is at a fixed volume. If I crank the radio all the way, I can hear over it, but if the radio's turned down, I hear nothing but the scratching.

It comes and goes with no warning for days at a time.

Anyone had a problem like this? I'm fucking stumped.
>>
>>33124348
I think it's a defective unit, the hard part is that it's all solid state on a tiny PCB so it's unrepairable most the time
>>
Would this be a good choice or radio for a novice? As long as I don't start broadcasting on the wrong frequency I should be fine correct?
>>
>>33124977
yes.
look into the license, tho. you will learn quite a bit, and the entry level license is only $15.00
>>
I have a baofeng. It's good. Learn how to use repeaters and you can chat with local radio fags near you.

Join the local radio club and get a licence also.
>>
>>33127596
>Implying we can keep the spaghetti in our pockets long enough to interact with anything other than a McDonald's Drive Thru clerk
>>
>>33128697
It's full of old people. You don't have to be too bad.
>>
>>33123190
Hey /k/uz!
>>>/out/955940
>>
>>33123190

don't get the uv5r get the uv82 no question. 5r is a toy. price so similar
>>
>>33129303
Thanks br/out/her

I always forget about /out/ since it always seemed dead whenever I'd pop over there in the past.

>>33129599
Noted. Might pick up the uv5r to get familiar with radios and if I get my HAM license I'll upgrade and use the 5r as a spare for friends to use as a walkie when we're innawoods.
>>
>>33129599
>>33129727
Oh shit, didn't realize the 82 was only like $3 more. Was seeing the 82HP on amazon for $62, scrolled further and found the regular 82 at $28. Thanks.
>>
>>33128697
being on 4chan is still half a cut above being a HAM-fag or a train-fag.
>>
whats the point in owning a radio when you dont have any friends to talk to
>>
>>33129839
Pretending the sounds and voices you pick up are your friends talking to you.

Duh
>>
>>33129839
Program walmart's frequency in and you can have some fun that way

Also a lot of fast food drive-thru intercoms use frequencies in UHF/VHF

Not that I'm advocating doing anything illegal, but these radios are capable of it
>>
>>33123190
>a quick rundown

>Rothschilds communicate using Baofeng
>can contact aliens
>Possess shortwave-like abilities
>Control South Dakota with an iron but fair fist
>Own broadcasting stations globally
>Direct descendants of the ancient Thomas Edison blood line
>Will provide comms for the first cities on Mars (Baofengrad will be be the first city)
>Own 99% of radio engineering research facilities on Earth
>Most first radio users will in all likelihood be Baofeng babies
>Baofang is said to have 600+ mHz , such bands on Earth has only existed deep in Area 51
>Ancient Indian scriptures tell of a radio that will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of enhanced comms and unprecedented shortwave shitposting with it
>They own nanoradio R&D labs around the world
>You likely have Baobots inside you right now
>Baofeng is in regular communication with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, forwarding the word of God to the Orthodox Church. Who do you think set up the meeting between the pope & the Orthodox high command (First meeting between the two organisations in over 1000 years) and arranged the Orthodox leader’s first trip to Antarctica in history literally a few days later to the Baofeng bunker in Wilkes land?
>They program new frequencies in millisenconds
>Nation states entrust their commsec with the Baofeng. There’s no phones in Cheyenne Mountain, only Baofeng radios
>Baofeng power lasts a few hours continuously, from the space-time reference point of the base human currently accepted by our society
>In reality, they are timeless echo devices communicating in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe. All beings are connected by Baofeng communications. It is said all the background radiation in the universe is actually millennium old Baofeng emanations
>>
>>33131197
Is that the uv5r or the uv82? I don't want to pick wrong one now..
>>
>>33131197
What inthe fuck are you...what?
>>
File: bogpill.png (345KB, 730x469px) Image search: [Google]
bogpill.png
345KB, 730x469px
>>33131197
It's cool, I'm protected.
>>
File: The Baofeng Affair.png (99KB, 1853x519px) Image search: [Google]
The Baofeng Affair.png
99KB, 1853x519px
>>33131197
cap'd btw, good stuff
>>
File: ha ha ha.jpg (103KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
ha ha ha.jpg
103KB, 1024x576px
>>33131197
Capped for posterity.
>>
The Baofeng is pretty much a essential for anyones kit, its cheap and is pretty good quality.
>>
>>33129768
>>33129599
enjoy none of the extended batteries working with it, meaning you can't use any of the chargers that work via the extended battery
just get the uv5r or the uv5r hp
>>
File: 9056.1241908828.jpg (548KB, 1024x701px) Image search: [Google]
9056.1241908828.jpg
548KB, 1024x701px
>>33129790

whats wrong with liking locomotives.
>>
>>33131668

Onion pacific fan I see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRTYNxtbnjI&spfreload=10
>>
File: hearty kek.gif (132KB, 201x200px) Image search: [Google]
hearty kek.gif
132KB, 201x200px
>>33131197
>>
>>33124348
It's not going to be worth your time to fix it, return it and get another one. Amazon is usually pretty good about defective stuff like that (assuming that's where you got it), and I've sent back multiple radios with full refund.

>>33129599
All baofengs are basically toys.
>>
>>33123190
I have one, battery life is long as hell as long as you aren't using it, I probably haven't charged mine since I got it months ago.
>>
>>33134560
Good to know.

Just ordered one along with the programming cable. Gonna study and take the HAM tech exam in late April, just so I can broadcast and use it for whatever without as much worry.
>>
File: bogpill.png (436KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
bogpill.png
436KB, 1024x577px
>>33123190
>A quick rundown

ENJOY
>>
>>33123320
>dont waste your money

>proceeds to suggest burning mobile data by streaming hours upon hours of static
>>
>>33123320
your mom would be pointless if she wasnt getting my point
>>
>>33129790
>tfw you're both a HAM operator and a railroad enthusiast on 4chan
>>
>>33123190
i have one and use it for bbwarz
>>
>>33123190
I used to use one as an officer on an EMS agency until we switched to 700mhz. Still lots of towns on VHF so i keep it for mutual aid calls.

www.radioreference.com
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.