[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is a lee enfield a good first gun? im noguns and i want a milsurp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: dammitdave.jpg (106KB, 549x533px) Image search: [Google]
dammitdave.jpg
106KB, 549x533px
is a lee enfield a good first gun? im noguns and i want a milsurp rifle for muh aesthetics. I'd get a mosin but ive heard the price is climbing steadily now
>>
>>33117360
An Enfield will still cost more than a Mosin.

And no, milsurp is not a good first gun. They are expensive to shoot and difficult to learn to shoot well compared to other guns. Get a 22 first, or an AR. You will appreciate the Enfield more.
>>
My first gun was a No.4 mk1. If you can afford to shoot it, go for it
>>
File: CataloniaAntiFascist.jpg (63KB, 1024x711px) Image search: [Google]
CataloniaAntiFascist.jpg
63KB, 1024x711px
>>33117374
thanks for the heads up, ive been told that enfield food is expensive as well. I'll probably snag a .22 first then since i live in a cucked state.
>>
>>33117423
Midway has some sales on POF and British surplus ammo for around 30-35 cpr. They're just highly corrosive and sometimes have hangfires.
>>
>>33117360
I would say its better than no rifle.

But >>33117374 has right. unless you can get a milsurp rifle for much less than a Babbys first rifle + available ammunition.
>>
>>33117621
is .22lr still impossible to get still?
also i was thinking of getting an SKS but ive heard that theyre getting pricey too.
>>
>>33118749
SKS is pretty good right now. 350 for a chink is a pretty decent US price.

22 is still hoarded out the ass. It never stops for some reason.
>>
What? Nuggets are expensive now?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170225-210649.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170225-210649.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>33119505
Yup.
>>
>>33117423
.303 British becomes very manageable if you are willing to take some time and learn to hand-load. A Lee Loader kit is somewhere in the ballpark of $40 USD and is a breeze to use.

Accounting for the cost of powder and bullets, each round is costing me around $0.40, which is much cheaper than buying a box of Winchesters each weekend.

Still, I'm going to agree with a few of the earlier posts and suggest you get something in .22LR for your first. Nothing will be cheaper, and the .22 will help you develop the skills you'll need to effectively use larger calibers later on.
>>
>>33119505
I just saw three sell at auction for over $1000. not sure if they were blessed by comrade stalin or just bought by a dumb fudd.
>>
>>33119505
Lowest you may be able to find a Mosin that's not super shitty quality is probably 250 now.

I got my 91/59 recently for ~330 though they go for 400 usually from what I've seen.

I've seen some Fin Mosins go for up to 1300 dollaroos and then you have shit like this >>33119540 happen too
>>
>>33117423
regarding your pic:
after reading Homage to Catalonia I had the distinct feeling that Spain's civil war was basically what happens when 2 large groups of people who only knew what the military was from books and film tried to fight each other.
>>
If you're a skelton then a full-size rifle cartridge may be a bit much. It certainly won't knock you on your ass, but it can lead to flinching and developing bad shouldering habits due to weight.
I'd try one out or at least something similar innarange before you buy.
>>
>>33117360
A good Lee-Enfield is more expensive than a good Mosin.

The Mosin also has the advantage of using a common caliber. 7.62x54R is widely available, although the cheap surplus is almost gone.
>>
>>33117360
Just get an Enfield.
u
s
t

g
e
t

a
n

E
n
f
i
e
l
d
>>
>>33123445
This, get a fucking Enfield if you want one
>>
>>33123315
I agree and am secretly a filthy leftist who thinks Anarchist Catalonia was really fucking good bls no bully i dont wanna take your funs
>>33123370
Good idea since im a skellington
>>
>>33123634
>Good idea since im a skellington

I guarantee that due to your 21st century diet you will weigh more than 90 percent of the guys who used one day in day out until about 1955.
>>
>>33125741
6 foot and 125 dude i doubt it
>>
>>33126216

Sweet Jesus son, what's your diet consist of? A pop tart for breakfast and styrofoam and sawdust for dinner?
>>
File: 1478746318239.jpg (20KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478746318239.jpg
20KB, 480x640px
Depends on what you want in your gun.

I learned on a .22, but my first rifle was a nugget my dad got me when i was 16.

I used it for everything, it rode with me in my truck, it went with me camping, shot my first few deer with it, i put holes in paper with it damn near every weekend.

Now my mauser has superceded it for all my boltgun needs, but i still keep the mosin.

But that's talking about nuggets, especially back when nugget food was cheaper than dirt. it's still pretty cheap, but not as cheap as it used to be.

An SMLE or other lee wouldn't be exactly the same.

.303 is quite a bit more expensive. but Midway still does runs on brit surplus every now and again. though that's pretty rare.

As a truck gun, it's fine. might be a tad long but it's still easily managable. For hunting, the cartridge is perfectly capable for deer sized game. the canadian rangers also have no issue with using it up in the frozen taint of Canada.

Accuracy wise, it's dependent on your gun's condition. but it's accurate enough for most things if it's not shot to fuck.

It's not a heavy recoiling gun, at least not with the 174 grain stuff i shot when i owned one. but i'm not sure if what i consider light will be light for someone who's never owned a gun before.
So really, if you just want a rifle to plink with, i'd get a .22. if you want an Lee. get a lee.
>>
>>33129370
i live in a decent neighborhood, im not worried about home invasion or whatever, i just want a gun because i think its good for citizens to be armed, y'know?
i think i'll get a .22 when i get the money together to do all the BS courses my state requires, and go from there
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.