[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asking LE anons or anons with LE related info. Wanting to join

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

File: 14245684262_1fbc57b54d_b.jpg (244KB, 1024x584px) Image search: [Google]
14245684262_1fbc57b54d_b.jpg
244KB, 1024x584px
Asking LE anons or anons with LE related info.

Wanting to join Detroit PD.

>halfway through BS in Computer Science
>4 Years active Marine Combat Engineer
>1 year in Active Reserves so far and plan to keep going a while

They shouldn't care that I don't have a LE or CJ degree right?
>>
>>33106744
No they won't care. They will care more about your military service but having the degree will show you're not a dumb ground pounder who blew his GI bill on hookers and blow as soon as he got out. Also there are plenty of computer related jobs in LE that pay booku bucks especially in large metro areas like Detroit so when you get sick of the street you can move to a nice desk job.
>>
>>33106824
That sounds sweet. I really wanna be in a big city because small town Sheriff could be boring. I don't have evidence for this but I'm assuming. Hoping for more input on the thread. Where you at LE anons?
>>
File: 1487419089785.jpg (31KB, 680x276px) Image search: [Google]
1487419089785.jpg
31KB, 680x276px
>>33106864
if you're a small town sherif then you could become the go to guy in town and bed all the local ladies.
>>
>>33106744
You'd be better off finishing a degree and going non-leo. I'm in the process of getting on Metro or Henderson in Vegas, and I have a 2 year CRJ degree. If I could do it over and pursue a degree with more employment options, I would. Maybe nursing.
>>
>>33106744
Are you a nigger
>>
>>33106744
>Marine Combat Engineer
IDK why they don't call it Marine Engineer. Such a cheap and pathetic way to get people into the MOS
>>
File: IMG_0200.jpg (9KB, 279x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0200.jpg
9KB, 279x180px
>>33107389
Why?

If you want to be a cop a 2 year CRJ is your best bet other than military service.

Anything over an associate is imo over qualified to be a patrolmen.

OP is probably better off applying to federal agencies tbqh ICE, DHS, DEA unless being a street cop is his dream
>>
>>33107437
>Anything over an associate is imo over qualified to be a patrolmen.
Not true, many officers finish a bachelor's and if you want to get up in the ranks and retire with decent pay, you'll most likely want a master's. But if I'm getting a master's degree, I'm going to go federal. If anything, I'll finish a bachelor's someday. Opens doors to advancement, and Metro/Henderson both offer automatic pay raises if you have a Bachelor's degree in CRJ.

Right now I work as a paralegal, and my AA was given with High Honors (over 3.6 gpa). Only way to advance is to become a certified paralegal or get a law degree. Neither of which pay as much as a entry level patrolman.

If I get stuck in corrections, I'm fucked with $36k a year starting. F that.
>>
>>33107531
I don't know how it works in your neck of the woods, but here the department will pay for your bachelors after you're in.

As far as here goes the only difference between an associate starting salary and a bachelors is about $1.75 an hour.

However a two year CRJ is good enough to get you hired at nearly any agency you apply to that's not federal/state level.

Most departments give you a pay raise for military experience and an associate or military experience and a highschool but when it comes to bachelors I've never seen a double pay raise so it's kind of a one or the other type of deal.

Then again I'm too lazy to Google Detroit PD pay scales so it might be different I'm just talking from what I've seen.

That's why I think OPs better off going fed, you get to do some high speed shit, also you're probably less likely to die working for ICE than you are Detroit PD kek
>>
>>33107408
Just "engineer" is usually what HE operators and water dogs call themselves.

>>33107389
Why do you feel that way?

>>33107437
Street cop isn't the dream, I just want a bit of action. Maybe DEA would be the way to go.
>>
Buddy of mine did around 10 months as detention guard, acquired his PD training (which was required within year of being detention guard), then switched over to Deputy Sheriff, then transferred to largest city in area's PD because pay went from 28k to 42k.

He had no prior MIL and his only experience was a two year college degree and working for ~2 years at a grocery store
>>
>>33107890
kek
Maybe I'm aiming a bit low. Prolly not any DEA of FBI anons here that arn't lurking on duty.
>>
>>33107846
DEA, ICE, ATF all solid choices.

CIA is like a unicorn but still worth checking out.

Stay away from the FBI all they care about is finance, accountants and doctors now.
>>
>>33107920
hmm. DHS might not be a bad choice either? But I don't wanna live in Texas the Corps made me live in enough hot af places.

And the CS degree should have some shiny ball to the cat appeal right?
>>
>>33107408
probably because they don't do much actual engineering aside from setting up expedient bridges, building obstacles, and bulldozing roads. most of what they do is pretty closely related to combat, e.g., mine clearing, explosive breaching, mechanical breaching, obstacle reduction
>>
>>33107920
CIA would be cool but I feel like only ex Special Forces anons could pull off cool CIA postings. The rest would just be government desk jockies. Especially a CS degree.
>>
>>33107959
See >>33107846
>>
>>33107914
I'm starting the application process for FBI soon, AMA
>>
>>33107960
if you want to be SAD then yes you will need to be an operator, but the CIA has lots of positions that aren't as stupidly demanding wrt required qualifications. if you're an intel officer in the military and you've held a fires billet and gone to JTAR school you could probably work as a targeting officer
>>
File: IMG_0313.jpg (48KB, 583x573px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0313.jpg
48KB, 583x573px
>>33107937
>>33107960
Right now you have a fairly competitive packet for any state/federal agency.

Your degree is valuable and at least shows you're not a knuckle dragging idiot who wasted your GI Bill.

CIA is a long shot it's pretty much only attainable to ex-SF, people who went to DLAB, and other autist with sought after skills.

FBI is doable with a CS degree but it's literally 70% computer work office jockey middle school drama now.

Just check USA jobs to see what's open but beware their filters are cancer.

Believe it or not the FDA investigative component actually does more field work than the FBI kek
>>
Hope you aren't looking to make much money. Detroit PD make about as much as one of my janitors ($12/hr or so). But they're critically understaffed so they'd almost certainly take you.
>>
>>33106744
CJ degrees are completely worthless for LEOs. A degree is just a check mark in a box, they don't care what it's in. It's best to get a degree in something that can land you a job in another field in case you don't get in anywhere or for whatever reason have to stop being a leo. Your .mil experience will help you the most getting in and a degree will help you if you want to get into a specialty unit.
>>
>>33108101
Okay while this is true a CJ degree is more valuable than a random degree because of the internships, connections, and references potential. A reference from a certified LEO will do loads more for you than a reference from your accounting teacher. This is speaking purely in an associates sense, a bachelors in CRJ is not worth. Just make it a minor
>>
File: RoboBackground2.jpg (37KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
RoboBackground2.jpg
37KB, 670x377px
Fuck right off!
This boy wants to be Robocop, and you're talking about fancy collages and a life of your own.
Disgraceful!
>>
>>33107531
dude the end game is to finish out your career as a bailiff sleeping in a courtroom
>>
>>33108153
There are easier ways to get a reference or make a connection. Like I said if you don't get in anywhere or have to stop for any reason that degree is worthless.
>>
>>33108275
And what easier ways are those?
>>
>>33106744
CJ is completely worthless
your veterans preference points matter -a lot-
>>33107531
>paralegal makes as much as a patrolman
lol, okay, someone doesn't know shit about OT
>>
>>33108355
volunteer programs, ride alongs, and civ programs. all give opportunities to meet and talk with LEOs, if you sound interested in the profession they will help you out.

>>33108368
>your veterans preference points matter -a lot-
this.

>lol, okay, someone doesn't know shit about OT
people shit on LEOs pay but it all depends on where you live. around me a first year officer is making 60k easy and it bumps up fast.
>>
>>33108075

This too. They'd probably issue him a gun and badge tomorrow morning. tonight in odd chance op is woman, black, spic, gay, trans, or some combination
>>
>>33108422
Yeah LE here and when I started base pay was 56 before degree and almost immediately jumps after academy to about 60 again before degree or skill like second language. Also not taking in shift differential like night shift or swing shift.
>>
>>33108619
Also it goes up frequently and has loads of holidays, I'm planning on taking off the second half of July and first half of June soon and that's not even all of my yearly personal time that if I don't burn I lose, so I'll still have about two weeks of time I'm require to take off.
>>
>>33108101
Also this, my degree is biology and I'm taking med school night classes
>>
>>33106744
Jesus why Detroit? Nigga join U of M's DPS in Ann Arbor or something.
>>
I just want to be a sheriff in a small town that spends most of his time looking for lost hikers or pulling over speeders
>>
>>33106744
>They shouldn't care that I don't have a LE or CJ degree right?

nope. Law enforcement officers are just like commissioned officers, your degree doesn't matter, and many agencies don't even require a degree if you have military time.
>>
Macomb or Oakland County Sheriff much better pay, training, equipment than Detroit.

But here's the sweetest shit.. Dearborn SWAT. They are majorly plugged in to intelligence actions and federal monies so you'll get the most and best equipment/training and maybe even get to remove kebab from time to time.

Good friend did six years marine infantry or arty or some shit and is now a decorated swat leader making serious cash.
>>
>>33110551
THIS is the glorious information Im looking for. Is this literally because Dearborne is all sand niggers and the federal government knows what domestic terror is?
>>
File: 1479176464938.jpg (389KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1479176464938.jpg
389KB, 1284x980px
LVMPD marksman here

>Detroit

I'm not kidding, you will be paid better, do more for your community, and receive better job training if you put in an application at your nearest burger king.
>>
>>33113217

Dearborn is fucking full of Mohammed. The politicians talk nicey nice like we're so glad to have them ( we're fucking not). But in reality the FBI and Locals are geared up for The new Michigani Caliphate.

Other ways to go are the heavily populated suburbs with somewhat competent leadership. Auburn Hills is an amazing police force actually doing good in the community. They have the border of Pontiac to contend with but they will take time to assist motorists and do welfare checks as well. I believe that level of involvement earns them a lot of good will.

Also, auburn hills gets mountains of money from all the major businesses HQs being there, so funding in never an issue. Plus you might get to see some sweet engineering test cars rolling. Volkswagen and Chrysler. So everything from Ramcharger to Lamborghini
>>
>>33106744

>Unironically getting a LE or CJ degree
It offers you literally no benefit during the hiring process and in fact keeps you from standing out as an applicant.
>>
>>33106864
Just went on a night ride along with a small town Deputy. Was not boring, we literally sprinted out of the briefing to run code three.
>>
Is this a general ask thread or a single question thread?
>>
>>33113227
vegas represent.

now... back 2 sleep.
>>
>>33113662
Code three is the show up in a half hour or so code, I fully well doubt anyone sprinted to it, unless they were trying to go to the stop n rob to get coffee and a snack first.
>>
>>33106824
>bouku bucks
It's actually "beaucoup"
>>
>>33106744
Nah they won't care, you'll be super employable as long as you can pass the psych evaluation, character profile, polygraph, and not come across as an idiot in your panel interview. I'm Fire/EMS not LEO but the hiring process was identical to the police forces in the area.
>>
>>33113776
OP here, fucking ask anon.

>>33113662
Green text?

>>33114021
Neat.

>>33113561
Yeah this is the type of stuff I wanted to know because I want to be apart of department thats actually doing shit not just sitn around checking meters and shit. Monroe County is the heroin capital maybe I could look into them.

>>33113227
LVMPD anon. Is getting into SWAT and other fun duties hard? Or is it a "good cops that get along with other cops" sort of screening?
>>
I want to work in federal level LE in the future and I have a few questions.

Is being transparent, open, and available on social media a good or bad idea? Some members of LE seem very out in the open in public and on social media, where as others seem to operate more spookily and conceal their identity. I understand you would have to adapt either way.

When applications are reviewed, is either military service or law enforcement experience preferred over the other? Or would background in just one area be acceptable.
>>
>>33106744
>half way through CS degree
>decide I want to be poor
>join DPD

Anon, the city can barely afford to keep the lights on at city hall, they don't pay their cops shit.
>>
>>33108893
Cause he wants to be an actual cop, not a fucking mall crawler who spends his days stubbing out joints.>>33109101
>>
-Degree type doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a degree. And to whomever said that anything above an associates is dead wrong. Finishing bachelor's and will be going on for master's.
-Degrees are expected for LE now. Bachelors are the norm, and that's just for you to be considered.
-MOS isnt especially relevant in the hiring process either. There's people with zero military experience that make excellent officers. There's stellar former mil that drop from FTO. Just depends on the individual.

Pops did background investigations for a state LE agency for 20 some years. The number one red flag is unexplained lapses of time where you're not in school, not working, etc. If you've been in school or working (including service) since graduating HS and it's on paper then that's all good. I also strongly encourage you to consider working on a master's once you're with an agency. A master's will open many doors for you at the local, state and federal level that weren't open to you before. In my state, if you're with a state LE agency and you're getting your education then the state will cover anywhere from 90-100% of the costs.
>>
>>33114448
>And to whomever said that anything above an associates is overqualified is dead wrong. Currently finishing my bachelor's and will be going on for master's.
Fixed.
>>
>>33114348
Get rid of social media entirely you fool.
The best feeling in the world was getting a call back on my background check and hearing.
"Anon, you don't exist." Because he could find absolutely nothing about me online.

I had a story told to me by a State Level Agent about when he sat in on an interview panel and one of the people they were about to hire was made to look at their facebook. And right there on the front page was a picture of the person smoking weed.

This idiot lost a special agent position because they were retarded. Don't be retarded. Be a ghost.

>>33106744
OP I would advised getting a degree in something you actually enjoy and is marketable if you don't get an LE job. Military is cool and all but it wont make you a better cop than the next guy. The biggest help the military will play is in the academy where they select guys with prior service to be put in leadership positions. Which meant making sure everyone looks presentable and the rooms were cleaned so you don't get smoked.

Degrees don't really matter at all in fact, so long as you don't have the bare minimum and are just applying for local law enforcement. My department is approximately 100 people and maybe 3/4 have some kind of degree. Maybe 1/4 have a bachelors and like 1/10 have a masters.
>>
File: IMG_0197.jpg (23KB, 231x187px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0197.jpg
23KB, 231x187px
>>33114448
Oh look, the POLICE JOBS ARE HIGHLY COMPETITIVE meme again.
>>
>>33114607
Have you worked law enforcement? Have you went through the application process? Have you seen the pool of applicants? If not, don't talk out of your ass. This isn't 1970.
>>
>>33114634
Yes the application is long. Yes a lot of people apply, but bachelors being expected? Not at all, if you have an associates with military experience you're getting picked over Mr. Fuckface who got a 4 year in finance to apply to a local department.

If you have a 4 year you're wasting time and money being on patrol.
>>
>>33114649
>if you have a 4 year you're wasting time and money being on patrol
Not really. No one is going to hire you anywhere else until you have experience. Dreams of graduating college and going right into the feds are just that, dreams.
>>
>>33114667
for real. Nobody will ever apply and move straight into CID or other specialized units, regardless of whether you have a PhD or whatever.
>>
>>33114667
>>33114689
Yes so go get your experience in the private sector making 3x what you'll make on fucking patrol then apply
>>
>>33114695
The private sector work get you certified to be the police.
Which means when you apply with all your "experience" whoever hires you is going to have to send you through basic police academy. They love spending money like that.
>>
>>33114718
What are you applying for that will send you to police academy with a 4 year and relevant work experience in a private sector?
>>
>>33114695
Bro, if you go into an oral board saying "well I worked uniformed mall security for four years" you're going to be laughed at. There is no private sector equivalent to police experience. Not even some bullshit uniformed security guard. No matter who you are, what education you have, or where you've been, you're going to start as a new pup in the FTO program. The only exception is if you lateral over from another agency.
>>
>>33114732
That's for every PD in CONUS. It's required by law, and for liability purposes. You must obtain your certification either before or during your tenure at the police academy. Then at the academy you receive the training applicable to that agency.
>>
>>33114732
Literally every Leo job will send you to an Academy.
All states are different, with some requiring you to have the basic academy out of the way on top of their academy. This is also true with lateral positions which require you to have the academy of the state you worked in before out of the way.

Either way. Already being a certified police officer is going to look better than your private experience from their point or view because you cost them less money.
>>
>>33114770
Exactly. Even being a 10 year CAG cool guy won't merit you skipping a BLET certification or the academy.
>>
File: 1006682-detroit.jpg (291KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1006682-detroit.jpg
291KB, 1536x1024px
>>33106744
>Wanting to join Detroit PD.

Detroit suburb annon here. If you want in the DPD, that's no problem. They have obscenely low standards.

Advice: Join their reserve officer corp while you're in college. You'll have a better chance of getting hired full time and they put you through training which is conducted after business hours. I think the classes are at 6pm one day a week for a couple weeks - but that's from memory. You're a fully-sworn LEO after that. Then you "have" to do like one shift a month.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Volunteer/Volunteers-in-Police-Service

Call the commander listed. Basically, as long as your free of felony conviction, they'll take you.
>>
>>33106824
>booku
guess how I know you didn't go to college
>>
File: IMG_0031.jpg (189KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0031.jpg
189KB, 1024x730px
I got hired with 3 years military and two years armed security experience. Don't fall for the college meme until you get paid by your department to attend (like me).
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.