[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air force is the only "noble" combat >those who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 17

File: vfevev.jpg (115KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
vfevev.jpg
115KB, 640x427px
Air force is the only "noble" combat

>those who fight and die (pilots) are officers, while the ones who follow orders are in base

>when you are going to get downed, you can just eject and get rescued

>if you died, it would be a very fast and painless death

>combat take hours instead of weeks and months

>you don't feel cold and hunger but fun and lack of oxygen
>>
File: navy-cool.png (132KB, 445x164px) Image search: [Google]
navy-cool.png
132KB, 445x164px
meanwhile in navy

>if your boss (captain) wants to risk his life by crusing his ship near enemy submarines, you will die too

>forced to shit and sleep in a little cell

>are you a poor conscripted boy? ok you are 100 miles away from the nearbiest shore, you are trapped

>if the ship drowns, you will be eaten by sharks or get your lungs full of water
>>
File: vfsvf.jpg (61KB, 600x364px) Image search: [Google]
vfsvf.jpg
61KB, 600x364px
>"sir there may be IEDs by that road" - shut the fuck up and walk

>my back, feet and knees hurt

>it's -10Âșc and my clothes are wet but i have to sleep in the outside

>enemy are 400m away, and if they capture me they will torture and behead me
>>
by the way this thread was not thought to create drama

i just believe this and what to know wether is a retarded idea or it's true
>>
>>33105858
You're gonna get a lot of shit for these posts but honestly you are right. Too bad dogfighting is basically dead.

Maybe post some greentext about tanks and helicopters? I have always thought of things like this
>>
>>33105943

tank

>tank is a tiny cage where you can't go out unless your commander tells so

>you dont know what's outside, and the explosions are so loud

>in case of being attacked, you may get burned slowly to death

helicopter

>back pain and hearing damage due to noise

>flying so low you can't eject and enemy can esily hit you with machineguns and sams
>>
>Navy
>Get in lifeboat
>Btfo chairforce
>>
>>33106014

Helis are basically the cavalry of modern day

Think about it man!!!
>>
>>33105858
PJ'S fight and die
>>33105878
Many ships specifically hunt subs, as do certain planes and helicopters
>>33105898
If you think there's an ied call eod
>>33106014
You are aware of surroundings in tanks, and helicopters fire from a significant distance. Also, Haji rifle fire won't hit helix for shit.

You probably ought to just graduate junior high school
>>
File: ARA Belgrano.jpg (60KB, 550x360px) Image search: [Google]
ARA Belgrano.jpg
60KB, 550x360px
You're certifiably retarded. What are you, 12?

>while the ones who follow orders are in base
Officers follow orders too, dipshit. Just from a higher ranking officer.
>you can just eject and get rescued
Top fucking kek. You've been playing too many video games. Ejecting from an aircraft traveling at the speeds jet fighters do is about as dangerous as getting hit with a Sidewinder. If you don't die during the ordeal for a myriad of reasons, you're now most likely behind enemy lines where you'll either be killed or captured, and depending on the enemy, you might rather just be dead.
>it would be very fast and painless
No, it wouldn't. Ever burn to death before?
>combat take hours instead of weeks and months
Individual dogfights, yeah. What, do you think infantry literally sit on the front line shooting each other for months? No, dipshit. War is 99% sheer boredom doing nothing and 1% absolute high-intensity terror of combat. Air campaigns can last years and are often wars of attrition (see Battle of Britain, Luftwaffe campaign over the Soviet Union)
Jesus Christ. Your soldiers don't feel colder and hunger either if they have proper equipment and food. And fun, seriously? Yeah maybe it's fun to fly your jet around and buzz the tower. Much less fun when there's another guy out there that has a missile with your name on it.

You're a fucking idiot. And for the record, in the modern age, most ships that are sunk get almost all of their crew off and are rescued. This post is so fucking stupid I'm convinced it's either bait or a little kid who just finished playing COD.
>>
>>33105906
You are right. Guess what, in Gulf countries pilots are nobility.
>>
>>33106110
i'm a soldier in an european air force
>>
>>33106147
That explains it. Leave warfare to the big boys, Pierre.
>>
File: pilot.jpg (48KB, 564x425px) Image search: [Google]
pilot.jpg
48KB, 564x425px
>>33105858
Don't forget
>Only the elite can become pilots
>You're probably unable to be one because genetics
>You and your plane get served by a lower class of enlisted crewmen.
>>
>>33105858
Having done the shitty training for what you're meant to do after you eject I can say that having to do that after breaking your legs in your first ever parachute jump and actually being hunted by people who want to burn you in a cage probably isn't that fun.
>>
>>33107545
what "elite genetics" do you need to be a pilot?

besides good eyesight
>>
>>33107646
Reflexes, balance, the ability to do complex mathematics whilst in a washing machine.

The right stuff basically.
>>
>>33106147
So, you're like the American Air Force, only you do even less fighting.

That's fucking pathetic. kys for being a pussy and not joining a real branch let alone a military that actually goes to war.
>>
File: erica.jpg (80KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
erica.jpg
80KB, 1024x576px
>>33107646
Can't be too short, can't be too tall, can't have any medical conditions, have to be /fit/, and you must have Valedictorian levels of intelligence and work ethic.

Also eyesight, which eliminates 60% of the population right off the bat.
>>
>>33105858
>"noble" combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LVlYJ5eJU
>>
File: 1472691072573.jpg (104KB, 872x685px) Image search: [Google]
1472691072573.jpg
104KB, 872x685px
>>33105858
>oh no, not all combat is the same and thus is bad and it must be shunned and feared
[autistic screeching]: the thread
>>
>>33105878
>if the ship drowns, you will be eaten by sharks or get your lungs full of water
>what are lifeboats?
you have chronic stage 3 turbo autism
>>
>>33108611
Savage as fuck.
>>
>>33105898
>"sir there may be IEDs by that road" - shut the fuck up and walk

No, no, no and no. That isnt how it works. I can tell him to fuck off, then I would request mast and he would fry. Ive been there twice and nothing like that happened and Ive dealt with some seriously retarded officers, one who was chasing medals.

>my back, feet and knees hurt and its cold

stop being a faggot.

>enemy are 400m away, and if they capture me they will torture and behead me

because pilots totally can't get captured and be engaged and lit on fire. Oh wait that already happened.
>>
>>33108852
encaged desu.
>>
>>33105858
Also Forgot.
>Go home to nice warm bed instead of sleeping in a foxhole

Other than that the Navy and in particular submarines probably qualify for Noble combat.
>>
>>33107545
>>33107646
>>33108582

I did average in school, had 20/200 vision, decently in shape, yet the Navy is letting me be a pilot.

You don't have to be "elite," you just have to want it bad enough, and get a little lucky. You can get LASIK now, vision isn't an issue.
>>
>>33109222
Shhh, don't tell them that we're just normies.
>>
>>33109248
>Tfw in Pcola right now
>friends want to go out every weekend to the bars
>I have to go with them so people think I'm a normie
>uncomfortable most of the night until I get sufficiently drunk
>my cover is still in tact though, people still think I'm normal

Getting my wings better be worth it. I had to pretend to be a normie all 4 years of college too
>>
File: strafe.jpg (109KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
strafe.jpg
109KB, 752x1063px
>>33109222
>I did average in school, had 20/200 vision, decently in shape, yet the Navy is letting me be a pilot.
Jeez, really? The officer I talked to was a freaking liar then, he made it sound like it was basically impossible for me to become a pilot.
>>
>>33109400
Nope, you can do it dude. Don't give up on your dreams.
>>
File: operator.jpg (345KB, 1024x1338px) Image search: [Google]
operator.jpg
345KB, 1024x1338px
>>33110431
>"Pilots have to meet the Air Force's height, weight and physical conditioning requirements. They must be 64 to 77 inches tall when standing"
Is this true?
>>
>>33111306
You can probably get a waiver for it. You can get a waiver, for an age waiver. Meaning, you can get a age waiver for being too old, and then you can get a waiver for being too old for the age waiver.

Basically, if your too short/tall, you basically sign something saying you won't blame the Navy for injuries.
>>
>>33109302
>Pilots
>Normal
>>
>>33108582
is 1,75cm ok?
>>
>>33109302
>Getting my wings better be worth it. I had to pretend to be a normie all 4 years of college too
I know your pain.
>>
You know officers follow orders too
>>
>>33105906
>by the way this thread was not thought to create drama

You know saying that doesn't make it less bollocks
>>
>>33106147
So you're not a soldier then.
>>
>>33113013
I think the cut off point (as in your knees will literally be cut off if you eject) is 188cm. You also need to be at least 80kg or your neck will snap from the whiplash as your parachute opens. I guess you basically need to be Tom Cruise.
>>
>>33109302
What platform are you hoping to end up with?
>>
>>33107646
>>33108582
>>33109222
I was fine on all my marks going through pilot school. I always thought my vision was top notch, but then I went into the physical and the doctor told me I was warbly-eyed or something, and that my eyes see just slightly farther apart than normal. Because of that, I can't fly for the military. shitsux, I dropped out of everything involving flying because a commercial career looked like hell with a high subscription price.
>>
>noble
The only AFS any airfuck should brag about is 11FX.

If an Airfuck holds any job besides that, they are literally a pilot's fluffer or pilot's ball holster.

tl:dr Airfuck jobs are for cuckolds unless they are pilots.
>>
>>33109400
The other thing is that flight school is hard and washouts are common. So there's a good incentive to let you try since they can just throw a bunch of student aviators at the wall and see who sticks.
>>
If you go pilot can you choose which plane to fly?

What if I want to fly dem spoopy triangle aircraft?
>>
>>33105906
>Post BuzzFeed title
>Post BuzzFeed ideas

Read a book.
>>
>>33114897
If you are the top of your class.

Otherwise prepare to be a gloried bus driver, ala C-17 pilots. Cargo aircraft should honestly be the first to be automated.
>>
>>33108582
2.25 CGPA... kill yourself.
>>
>>33105858
Interesting bit about fighter pilots. Makes me think they're very similar to mounted knights.
>>
>>33114942
Nothing wrong with cargo. many guys fight for them, as you get foreign travel with layovers, good pay, generally you'll be on bigger nicer bases, and that type of flying is a show in for the airlines as you do the same thing so there's a really good chance for a stable well paying job when you get out, that lets you continue to use your military skills. If i manage to pass flight training at Pensacola and don't get rotary selected Id want one of those c-130 spots real bad. I will admit this is in part because i wan't to start a family and i don't want my kids to have to deal with all the bs that comes with growing up in an active military household.
>>
>>33115038
That's actually a decent comparison, many middle eastern nations like Saudi Arabia send their nobility to train as pilots.
>>
>>33106014
>helicopter
>>flying so low you can't eject
Do you even know how helicopters work?
All military ejection seats are designed and tested to be able to launch the crew high enough for a "reasonably" safe descent even at ground level.
>>
>>33106053
I think you misspelled "tanks"
>>
>>33115245
There's no ejection seats on helicopters. the whole giant spinning blades right above the cockpit makes them a poor decision. The idea with helicopters is that the blades will turn the other way in a crash to help slow the descent so that the pilots survive, it's not a lot but I don't think they get parachutes anyway.
>>
>>33115372
What about that Russian one that blows the blades away before ejecting the crew?
>>
>>33115397
Never heard of that before. It sounds pretty cool but that's more or less the exception to the rule.
>>
File: loopy.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
loopy.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>33114133
>I think the cut off point (as in your knees will literally be cut off if you eject) is 188cm
If I told them I'd be willing to have that happen would they let me in anyways?
>>
>>33114594
12S3 bro, come at me
>>
File: A-10.jpg (78KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
A-10.jpg
78KB, 1024x768px
>>33113013
>>33114133
>>33116711
Oh wait, nevermind. I thought you were talking about maximum height, not minimum. The centimeters confused me for a moment.

But yeah, I should be fine going in at 198 cm right?
>>
>>33109302
What stage of training are you in right now? I'm starting Primary in a couple weeks.
>>
>>33116737
No. That is beyond maximum height.
>>
>>33109302
I went out all the time in UPT (Air Force pilot training) but now that I'm in my fighter I basically stay at home, drink, and play video games or watch netflix every weekend.
>>33114594
Well the back seaters in my jet are awesome. It adds an insane amount of situational awareness within our own jet and allows for us to be truly multi-role with the pilot working the radar and WSO working the TPOD and SIT to find and blow shit up.
>>33115083
Not sure about the navy side since you have so much rotary but in the AF side nobody has to fight for cargo. The people who go heavy track fight for KC-135 vs. C-130 vs. C-17 with a couple of the more squared away people going for AFSOC jets but they all end up with whatever and end up happy with it I guess. The people competing for a fighter get really bummed out when they don't get one.
>>
>>33116925
Just started. I actually just flew solo for the first time for IFS yesterday.
>>
>>33105906
Partially stupid.
>those who fight and die (pilots) are officers,
while the ones who follow orders are in base

Pilots (officers) follow orders to you know...

Can does not mean will, pilot might not even get the chance. If he ejects, he still has to worry a whole lot about where he is ejecting. Foregoing hostile territory, how about bailing over the sea? In regards to hostile territory, how do you know those on the ground will honor any expectation to take prisoners, or treat them fairly.

Historically this is untrue, and you have no way to know if you would be an outlier to that trend.

I won't say Air deployments are any better than mine (Army, Iraq), but a deployment is a deployment. Pilots will still be expected to fly regular sorties, especially if they are supporting troops in the field.

Wat?

I only had three real TICs during my deployment, but I respected hajj more when they tried to shoot it out with us, instead of just blowing us up with IEDs.

In regards to the whole "noble" combat, chivalry is all but dead. I believe it exists more strongly for nation-states combatting one another, but calling that noble would be a stretch as well.

Combat is combat, killing is killing. I can see the necessity to do it, and support it still. That said, there is nothing noble in either act, I've found.
>>
>>33117329
>Well the back seaters in my jet are awesome. It adds an insane amount of situational awareness within our own jet and allows for us to be truly multi-role with the pilot working the radar and WSO working the TPOD and SIT to find and blow shit up.

What are your thoughts on the single seat f-35, which does not allow a pilot to look behind his plane?
>>
File: Flying through Class G like.gif (489KB, 480x264px) Image search: [Google]
Flying through Class G like.gif
489KB, 480x264px
>all these acronyms getting thrown about
Just how many pilots have we summoned in this thread?
>>
>>33108611
>you met your maker buster
>>
>>33117509
I don't know enough about the F-35 to be an authority on it, but supposedly the sensor fusion drastically reduces workload so a back seater isn't needed, and you're supposed to be able to look through the jet itself with all the sensors so rearward visibility isn't needed.
>>
>>33105858
>you can just eject
What man? You do know you can die when using these?
Also in for instance the F16 your spine get compressed so much you actually become shorter, and you spend weeks on a bed that keeps your back perfectly straight.
>>
>>33111306
>tfw 78in

so much for going NFO
>>
Sounds like all the Chairforce jokes got to somebody
>>
>>33117509
>>33117756

The real reason for the F-35's cabin layout has to do with birds. The Navy felt that making the cabin more resistant to bird-strikes was more important than allowing the pilot to turn around and look behind the plane. However, the general consensus from pilots that I've seen is that while the lack of rearward visibility is an issue in certain situations, the plane's sensor suite is more than good enough to make up for it.
>>
File: duster.jpg (295KB, 1600x531px) Image search: [Google]
duster.jpg
295KB, 1600x531px
>>33117286
But don't they have waivers for that kind of thing? Like >>33111344 said?
>>
>>33118047
I believe you can get a waiver for height, however the real issue is your anthro measurements. Basically, height sitting down, thigh length, arm length, stuff like that.
>>
>>33118178
I'm not sure how good I'll do on that, I can't fit in a Cessna 150 anymore, my legs just have no room in the cockpit, I'm not sure if that's a problem.
>>
>>33106110
The current CSAF was shot down over Serbia and rescued just fine by a helicopter pilot that might have been drunk.
>>
>>33109302
I'm gonna be down there in a few months for CSO things, what's it like? Everything I've heard involves drinking, so I'm preparing my liver now.
>>
>>33111306
I'm not sure if standing height is a thing, but I know some guys that got DQ'd for sitting height. Their proportions were too weird and would be unsafe when ejecting, apparently.
>>
>>33115372
>There's no ejection seats on helicopters.
No shit Sherlock. That was my point.
Also it's called auto-rotation and has proven in many situations to be able to save the lives of the pilot(s) and passengers assuming the pilot knows how to properly control the descent.

>>33115397
>>33115422
IIRC that's the Ka52.
>>
>>33109222
>20/200 vision

You see as well at 20 feet as most people see at 200? Are you blind?
>>
>>33118929
no, I just can't read shit that well or recognize faces at 20 feet. I'm correctable to 20/20 anyway, so it's no big deal.
>>
>>33114542
I want either the F35 or P-8s

>>33118808
Pretty decent weather. Where i went to school, the bars closed at midnight, so I'm not used to staying out until 3 or 4am.

But yeah, it's a lot of drinking.
>>
>>33118929
I was pretty much blind lol. 20/200 before lasik, 20/10 now.
>>
>>33121203

I want to be a pilot. I'm enlisted right now, want to get out, finish my degree, and then come back in through OTS.

I know its a long shot but I have to to try or else I couldn't live with my self.

At what point would you get Lasik if I end up needing it?
>>
>>33123648
Not sure about the timeline for getting lasik as enlisted, but keep in mind you need a 6 month period between lasik and your flight physical.

The most ideal time to get it would probably be right as you start college doing whatever enlisted to officer program (STA-21, MECEPS, etc). So basically, whenever you start taking classes. It should give you plenty of time.
>>
>>33123648
Also, it doesn't have to be a longshot. One of my good friends is prior enlisted marine. He need a waiver to get an age waiver (he was too old for the original age waiver). He's finishing up TBS right now.

I actually didn't get aviation at first, even after paying for lasik out of pocket. I got selected for subs, but got very lucky, and my CO was awesome.
>>
File: best idea ever.jpg (1014KB, 1845x2785px) Image search: [Google]
best idea ever.jpg
1014KB, 1845x2785px
>>33106053
>>
>3.3 GPA in Comp Sci/Philosophy Double Major at top state school
>Decent amount of extracurricular activities
>Getting Private Pilots License this year
>Eye sight is bad but within regulations for surgery
I want a Navy OCS aviation, what're my chances? Going to be talking to a recruiter this summer most likely.
>>
>>33105858
Or get captured, tortured and lynched by the locals in revenge for napalming the town loli.
Wouldn't it be more "noble" to accept your defeat with honor and commit seppuku?
>>33105906
>what to know wether is a retarded idea or it's true
Both, I guess.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.