[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is K's opinion of the Winchester model 70? Any experiences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 10487784_1.jpg (24KB, 1024x284px) Image search: [Google]
10487784_1.jpg
24KB, 1024x284px
What is K's opinion of the Winchester model 70? Any experiences with this gun? How do the new models compare with the vintage ones?
pic related
>>
>>33095617
Great bolt-actions. Honestly, the whole pre-1964 thing is bullshit IMO. When Winchester became a brand in 2006 they reintroduced the controlled feed mechanism back into the design. So there's literally no difference between pre-1964 and post-2006 Model 70s anymore except the year.
>>
>>33095689
The "pre-64" thing is just a matter of whether the parts were 100% made in the USA or not.

Also cheaping out with cast receivers.
>>
>>33095705
Well now you have guys on GB and Armslist charging an arm and leg for pre-'64 Model 70s.
>>
>>33095705
I really want the 'cast receivers are bad' meme to die already.
>>
>>33095689
>>33095723
>>33095705
Aren't pre64's more hand-crafted?
>>
I can't comment on the newest batch FN made in the USA and later moved to somewhere (Brazil?)

Vintage ones are top notch id you can find them in actually good calibers in good condition.

The inter year models ive never found a problem with, the main bitch people have with it is the dinky extractor and non controlled feed.

Technically it is a downgrade in quality, but the control feed was really only relevant for dangerous game. That durr is just going to run away if you drop a bullet.

I think pre-bankruptcy models had those sintered receivers, they don't blue worth shit and i wouldn't reload anything hot for them
>>
File: Herstal Group.jpg (137KB, 903x577px) Image search: [Google]
Herstal Group.jpg
137KB, 903x577px
Why do people pretend that Winchester is still an independent arms manufacturer?
>>
>>33095737
Yea, back in the day that was the norm for making guns.

>>33095742
Since 2015 Model 70s have been made by Browning Viana in Protugal. That's the same place current Browning Hi-Powers are assembeled.
>>
>>33095786
No one has said that ITT. In fact, >>33095689
mentioned that Winchester became a brand in 2006.
>>
>>33095737
>Aren't pre64's more hand-crafted?

They're Made in the USA©

Maybe they had a better finish than later models when they were new.
>>
Great guns if you can get one that's been well loved.
>>
>>33095689
What's controlled feed?
>>
>>33095786
Winchester, and many other firearms manufacturers, have typically been owned by investors over the course of their existences. Winchester was actually bought out in the 1920's originally. So shut the fuck up. There's no reason to treat it differently today just because a non-American company owns it now.
>>
>>33095829
Controlled feed is where the bolt's extractor grabs onto the rim of the cartridge and guides it into the chamber.
>>
>>33095845
Why is it such a big deal?
>>
>>33095855
Because supposedly it's SLIGHTLY more reliable than push feed since the bolt is guiding the round into the chamber. Honestly, I have shot rifles with both controlled feed and push feed and haven't noticed the difference.
>>
>>33095855
It is supposed to be more jam resistant. Some hunters value that because they hate the idea of the rifle having a feeding issue when they need a follow-up shot on a charging leopard or fleeing elk.
>>
>>33095855
Because controlled vs push feed, cock-on-open vs cock-on-close, and bolt throw are the only thing there is to argue about when it comes to a turn-bolt action rifle.
>>
>>33095855
Push feed guns can potentially double feed with you don't feed the cartridge into the chamber all the way and somehow pull the bolt back far enough to grab another ground out of the magazine.

If you did the same thing with a controlled feed gun, it would pull the cartridge back with it and eject it first.
>>
>>33095617
I have one and love it. Killed my first deer with it, a beautiful 10 point buck. Nothing but good things to say about the rifleman's rifle.
>>
>>33095855
Controlled feed with a claw extractor is the classic Mauser action. Some people have a hard on for the idea that they're getting a new-made pre-sporterized Mauser.
>>
It also has a fully functional safety attached to the bolt.
>>
>>33095705

This is incorrect. CRF and pushfeed models are essentially two different guns with the same name.
>>
>>33095617

I love my new production Model 70 sporter. Overall I don't think they get enough love. Butter smooth, excellent fit and finish, beautiful walnut with hand cut checkering, great trigger, and shoots MOA or better with a plethora of different factory loads.
>>
Nothing really wrong with all those push-feed Model 70's.

Sure, CRF is better, but not as necessary as some would have you believe.
>>
>>33095855

I have no idea who this guy is but he explains it pretty good. I have a 1975 Model 70 that was handed down to me. But I've never had any problems with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O7y_2sdIyM
>>
>>33095689 #
Crf was reintroduced well before FN... in the early 90s I think. The new one's are arguably better than the pre 64.

>>33099516 #
That's Ron Sooner. He's one of the who's who of modern gun writing.
>>
File: 375a.jpg (380KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
375a.jpg
380KB, 1600x900px
Love it
Smooth action, perfect trigger, no complaints
>>
>>33095731
Nice pun anon
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.