[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good evening /k/, I come to ask questions from those who know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 16

File: Mauser.png (750KB, 1500x297px) Image search: [Google]
Mauser.png
750KB, 1500x297px
Good evening /k/, I come to ask questions from those who know a fuckton more about this than I do. I have an old Kornbusch & Co Gewehr 98, dated 1917, I picked up over a year ago for $180, from a guy who was planning on sporterizing it, cutting down the barrel and stock, drilling it, etc.

For starters: I know nothing about the history of the rifle besides the fact the guy I bought it from bought it from a guy who had it for 50 years. That's it. I'll post a few more pictures, but I just want to know what possible adventure this gun went on, the history of Kornbusch rifles, why all the parts are matching save the bolt and receiver, what some of these markings mean, and where do I buy some good slings or a bayonet for this thing?
>>
File: Oberspree.png (964KB, 588x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Oberspree.png
964KB, 588x1000px
Shitty picture of the manufacturer mark. The bore is in good shape, some slight pitting, which is true across the rifle, especially of the bolt, but the face is in good shape, and the stock is in fantastic shape.
>>
>>33087560
One of the rarest GEW 98 manufacturers.
>>
>>33087560
Who the fuck still sporterizes in this day and age? It's 2017
>>
>>33087865
how you gun hunt durr wit dat long ass gun and dem iron sites
>>
>>33087903
this.

Fucking fudds man...
>>
>>33087865

You'd be surprised how retarded some people can be.

People are still ricing Acura NSX's and R32 Skylines, even though it's common knowledge that doing so MASSIVELY decreases their resale value.
>>
>>33087922
I hate fucking fudd cocksuckers
>>
File: Gew 98.png (1MB, 1000x745px) Image search: [Google]
Gew 98.png
1MB, 1000x745px
>>33087835

Any way to tell if the manufacturer produced the other non-matching parts? Does a low-number serial for this rifle matter in terms of rarity?

>>33087865

He was a hardcore Fudd. I think he had another sporterized SKS he talked about, and had no affection for the gun at all. He and the previous owner apparently never cleaned the Mauser because I ran probably a hundred patches down the bore and each was black and green with soot and copper fouling.
>>
>>33088023
Not sure on WW1 guns. WW2 guns have Waffenamt codes that tell you but I don't think they had a system like that in WW1
>>
>>33087560
>>33087628
Waffenwerke Oberpsree Kornbusch & Co. was a public/private joint venture set up by the German government in Berlin using equipment and tooling taken from the occupied FN-Herstal factory in Belgium. It was poorly managed and Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken was able to purchase a controlling interest in the company and take it over entirely by 1918, thus the "Kornbusch" was dropped from the name.

With the Treaty of Versailles DWM was forced to return the stolen machinery and was prohibited from manufacture of military firearms; Waffenwerke Oberspree collapsed. Many brand-new Gew.98s were still in arsenal storage as Germany was forced to disarm; these were often the first of the millions of rifles destroyed under the supervision of the Entente.

>why all the parts are matching save the bolt and receiver
Do you mean the bolt doesn't match the receiver, or that all the other parts are matching each other but not the bolt or receiver?

>>33087865
I know a guy who stripped an SS-Depot-rework Gew.98 just for its matching bolt and receiver. It was the current year at the time.
>>
File: Surplus.png (1MB, 1000x859px) Image search: [Google]
Surplus.png
1MB, 1000x859px
>>33088064
So these rifles were made on stolen FN equipment? That's pretty hilarious. I know for almost certain this isn't a Weimar rebuild or used rifle, considering it only has Imperial German markings on it, but is it possible it was held in storage like the other G98s?

>Do you mean the bolt doesn't match the receiver, or that all the other parts are matching each other but not the bolt or receiver?

Bolt does not match receiver, both bolt and receiver do not match the stock, bands, trigger assembly, magazine floor plate, and sights. I presume the barrel is also matching with the stock and rest, but I'm not entirely sure.

>I know a guy who stripped an SS-Depot-rework Gew.98 just for its matching bolt and receiver.

Holy fuck this hurt to read. Heard a few stories from a friend that his fathers' friends would buy and cut up K98's cheap to fuck around with them back in the 70's.
>>
>>33088232
Hm usually when the bands and stock don't match they are replaced for a rifle that had the stock sporterized already.
>>
File: DSCF1098.jpg (3MB, 3440x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1098.jpg
3MB, 3440x4608px
>>33088258

Sorry, I meant the bands, stock, etc are all matching. Only the receiver and bolt do not match either each other or the rest of the rifle.

Apologies for the shitty picture again, but any chance you can tell me what the markings on the stock here mean?
>>
>>33088232
>So these rifles were made on stolen FN equipment? That's pretty hilarious.
The real funny part is that prior to WW1 DWM owned the controlling interest in FN-Herstal, which means the equipment kinda belonged to them all along.

>is it possible it was held in storage like the other G98s?
It's probably a WW1 bring-back, but out of curiosity post the acceptance marks on the right side of the receiver ring like in pic related.

>>33088307
>the bands, stock, etc are all matching. Only the receiver and bolt do not match either each other or the rest of the rifle.
The rifle was probably repaired at a near-front-line depot with parts salvaged from another damaged/worn rifle. Often the little parts were not re-numbered during such rush jobs; only re-numbering the bolt was important. I would guess that the bolt which does not match either receiver or other small parts is probably due to it being captured. Sometimes when rifles were captured their bolts would be removed so as to hinder their functionality if re-captured by the enemy. Later soldiers who wanted souvenirs would pick a rifle from one pile and a bolt from another.

>any chance you can tell me what the markings on the stock here mean?
The big "W" with the crown over it is for Wilhelm II, the German Emperor. The "B" near the buttplate is for "Beech"; the wood the stock is made from. The other two I don't know, even for my own rifle. You'll probably also find some on the underside of the wrist behind the triggerguard.
>>
File: Acceptance Marks.jpg (1MB, 3251x1553px) Image search: [Google]
Acceptance Marks.jpg
1MB, 3251x1553px
>>33088445

Did not realize the barrel was not matching either. Different number from everything else. Does that mean anything?
>>
>>33088852
>Did not realize the barrel was not matching either. Different number from everything else.
Wow; that is a real mixmaster. I honestly don't know what to make of it. I suggest you try the Military Mausers section of Gunboards or the Imperial Germany section of the Kar.98k forum.
>>
>>33088852
factory repair/refurbish.

just day dream about the rifle being damaged at the front, repaired, and sent back to the front to be captured and brought to America where YOU saved its 100yo self from being butchered by a Fudd.

You did God's work
>>
File: 1475257058028.png (245KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475257058028.png
245KB, 550x600px
>>33088897

Just for my own clarification, the number stamped on the forward post-sight at the muzzle is the number associated with the barrel, right? The forward inch and a half of the barrel is a different color from the remaining length of the barrel, so what gives with that?
>>
>>33088965
probably just corrosion from gunpowder from being shot and not cleaned
>>
File: Gew98_8-18-2016_D_1280.jpg (748KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gew98_8-18-2016_D_1280.jpg
748KB, 1024x768px
>>33088965
>the number stamped on the forward post-sight at the muzzle is the number associated with the barrel, right?
The barrel's serial number is found on the chamber between the rear sight and the receiver ring. My Gew.98 is " 6750i "; you can see the serial number on the receiver ring and barrel in this picture.

>The forward inch and a half of the barrel is a different color from the remaining length of the barrel, so what gives with that?
The front sight base is actually a band that goes around the tip of the barrel, which is stepped down so that the ring of the sight base blends in to the barrel profile. They are made of different steel compositions, and as they age and oxidize the different steel sometimes takes on different colors.
>>
File: Vz22_B+C_block_I.jpg (831KB, 1280x707px) Image search: [Google]
Vz22_B+C_block_I.jpg
831KB, 1280x707px
>>33089008
>They are made of different steel compositions, and as they age and oxidize the different steel sometimes takes on different colors.
Which looks like this. See the line at the rear of the front sight base where its barrel band meets the step in the barrel.
>>
>>33088993

What if it's got a parting line? Excuse my stupid questions, I've had this thing for a while but I'm still trying to learn as much as I can to make it an heirloom.

>>33088935

Thanks anon. I try to treat Alfred with as much respect as I can. I hope he lives to see 2117.

>>33089008

Nevermind, I'm a retard. The barrel matches the receiver. Front post sight does not though, different number. EG: 36 compared to xx62.
>>
Just drop by to say this is a comfy thread, nice to see /k/ can still get stuff done without extensive shitposting.
>>
>>33089032
>The barrel matches the receiver.
Cool, then I stick with my original assessment that this went through a depot repair/rebuild and was subsequently captured and brought home as a war prize.
>>
>>33089023

This is fantastic. Thank you for explaining, that answers the parting line question. After seeing those rifles, I also have to ask if it's normal to have pitting and wear marks on the steel parts of old Mausers like this?

>>33089069

/k/ has been very nice answering questions before, I love coming here for this.

>>33089073

Thanks anons. I've been trying to find out more about the history of this, and why the different numbers. Can you tell me where I can get a cleaning rod, sling swivels, or a WW1 era bayonet for this too? Is there also anything I can do to help maintain the stock?
>>
>>33087999
Trips of truth

Sporterized rifles make me cry, why can't they just buy some damn hunting rifle instead of ruining a fine milsurp rifle. Had someone tell me using a gun that weighed 9 pounds to deer hunt was too heavy to be lugging around, I didn't think they'd care about weight when they just sit in their heated treestand.
>>
File: Gew98_2-22-2017_A_1024.jpg (710KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Gew98_2-22-2017_A_1024.jpg
710KB, 768x1024px
>>33089167
>After seeing those rifles, I also have to ask if it's normal to have pitting and wear marks on the steel parts of old Mausers like this?
Yeah. They saw a lot of hard use and abuse, sometimes over a very short period of time. Rifles like yours and mine may have been left on a wet or muddy battlefield for days or weeks, and the metal corroded in that time. They also got banged on all kinds of things as a soldier moved around.

>Can you tell me where I can get a cleaning rod
Ebay or Gunbroker for an original. They are hard to find without rifle attached so they command a premium. Reproductions can be found here:
http://www.hessenantique.com/Gew_98_Cleaning_Rod_p/1118628.htm
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/cleaningrodgew9815wwii.aspx
>sling swivels, or a WW1 era bayonet for this too?
You already have the swivel you need; the Gew.98 sling has a removable sling loop for the butt end. During normal use it goes on the stud on the butt, and when on parade you put it through the hole in the front of the triggerguard so you can hook it up tight under the barrel like pic related. Here's a reproduction Gew.98 sling with the detachable lower sling loop: http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m98msrgewwwisling.aspx
Originals are hard to find and cost $$$; if you want something vintage but not as expensive a Brazilian Mauser 1908 sling is the same pattern, just different markings.
>Is there also anything I can do to help maintain the stock?
Clean it with a soft, slightly damp cloth.
>>
>>33089271

Tremendous thanks again. Beautiful rifles, I love all mil-surp, but the original G98 Mausers are top of the list for me. If the one pictured is yours, it looks fantastic. Very interesting about the right way to store the sling for parade use, thank you for that. I'll for sure buy the cleaning rod and a sling.

>Clean it with a soft, slightly damp cloth.

Thanks again anon!
>>
File: IMG_1276.jpg (608KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1276.jpg
608KB, 1280x960px
>>33089384
>If the one pictured is yours, it looks fantastic.
Thank you. Yes it's mine; up there on a rack with some of my other rifles that have actually seen some shit.

Here with slightly less potato.
>>
>>33089223
Fucking right? And a new durr rifle will probably be smoother and more accurate than most milsurp
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.