[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

say you're special forces or recon and the average SF team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

File: Mines_501556_fh000026.jpg (207KB, 813x763px) Image search: [Google]
Mines_501556_fh000026.jpg
207KB, 813x763px
say you're special forces or recon and the average SF team won't lug around a metal detector; How the hell do you counter landmines without a detector?
>>
By paying native children to scout the area days ahead of time.
>>
Make a bunch of local children walk in front of you.
>>
>>33079388
>>33079396
/thread
>>
>>33079381
There are ultra lightweight metal/GPR detectors specifically designed for lightweight/SF use. Also, route selection is extremely important- going through an unused route in a long range mission, it's unlikely to come across mines or IEDs randomly until approaching a danger area or cache area.
>>
>>33079381
>asks how to detect mines without a metal detector
>posts plastic mines

stop eating paint chips, kid.
>>
>>33079435
snapped the first pic i got off google
but wait

how do you detect plastic landmines? not even metal detectors can get them, right?
>>
>>33079448
You kick up rocks in front of you while you walk
>>
>>33079448
Ground penetrating radar is pretty standard on most modern mine detectors. It takes experience and training to use correctly, but does work.
>>
>>33079381
>How the hell do you counter landmines without a detector?
By not walking on paths.
/thread
>>
>>33079381
Helicopter ride?
>>
>>33079448

Plastic is new and nice. WW2 Germans also made mines from glass, porcelain and just plain wood. There's also all the claymore style traps with a trip wire which might as well be made from rope. Or hair. Or, indeed plastic. Sucks to be a footsoldier.

Incidentally, one of the reasons the IS areas are slow to conquer is because every damn building is booby trapped.
>>
>>33079535
>Claymore style traps

Claymores don't come standard with any sort of tripwire, so it is wrong to call tripwires "claymore style" . They can be rigged up with tripwires certainly, but that's true of a lot of things.
>>
>>33079464
Sniffer dogs.
>>
>>33079381
By generally not traversing any area that has been identified as a likely point of ingress by the enemy, hence them mining it. Picking harsh terrain, moving halfway up terrain features like hills, or through the low brush in dense woodland.
If you do find a minefield sign by chance, or one of your lads gets blown tae fuck, then you know theres a minefield. Get down on hands and knees, and use a stick, small metal rod or knife, make a fist on the ground infront of you, rest the rod between knuckles on your clenched fist, then angle it around 30° and push into the dirt slowly. This should allow you to feel if there is a mine there, but at such a shallow angle as to slide off and not activate it. Keep doing this about 4-6 fists across to ensure you have a channel wide enough for your body, then keep doing this moving forward. It will be incredibly slow and arduous, but better than a faceful of shrapnel followed by eternal nothingness
>>
File: pr_claymore_M57[1].jpg (62KB, 650x549px) Image search: [Google]
pr_claymore_M57[1].jpg
62KB, 650x549px
>>33079535
>>33079559
They're just a pre-packaged C4 block faced with ball bearings. You arm it by inserting a pre-wired blasting cap on a long two-strand wire back to your position, and the triggering mechanism is basically a little handheld electric generator.

So, you can't really set up a Claymore on a tripwire with what comes with it.
>>
>>33079458
That's how some of my buddies died in chechnya
>oh look a football, im just gonna kick it
>ever since he dosen't have problem with buying shoes
>>
>>33079621
That's what I said, senpai. They don't come with any kind of tripwire or boobytrap provisions. They can easily be rigged up, but it's not standard to the kit or the intended use.
>>
>>33079448
>how do you detect plastic landmines? not even metal detectors can get them, right?

DOG.
>>
>>33079629
also the key is awarness basically don't touch or kick anything in war zone
>>
>>33079649
rule #1 in war:

The less you interact with the environment, the safer you'll be.
>>
with my magic powers, they wont even do damage
>>
>>33079464
Also current/resistance detectors for those non metal conductors or picking up angle hair wire (you would never think straight up copper would blend with the ground). That said I am sure sf has better options than what our retarded asses had to haul around
>>
SF
Just convince the locals that it's safe to walk around with their family.
>>
>>33079719
Those work best on strands like alternator wire, notsomuch on non metallic or even non-electric mines.
>>
>>33079381
Attention to detail and a probes.

/thread
>>
>>33079396
Penal divisions running ahead of you is also an acceptable answer.
>>
>>33079744
Sorry two different detectors (potato typing on my end) we had a graphite resistance detector for the durkas iran trained to use battery cores instead of metallic contact points for the pressure plate ied. They also figured out that they could use the cores for other components except for wires so I used that detector as much as the gpr
>>
>>33079381
they totally would lug around a CMD.

they dont weigh shit, are compact, and save you from becoming a pirate.
>>
File: pagoda.jpg (40KB, 470x350px) Image search: [Google]
pagoda.jpg
40KB, 470x350px
>>33079381
minimize ground contact by loading entire squad onto small motorcycle
>>
>>33079381
B-b-but mines are inhumane and banned in the ottawa treaty.
>>
>>33080528
Not every country has signed a treaty.
Insurgents most likely won't give a shit about said treaties and can/will get the mines from above mentioned countries.
AFAIK they only banned light anti-personnel mines and booby traps or sensitive anti-vehicle mines still would work against a person with a bag and gear.
>>
File: 1479312814324.jpg (48KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
1479312814324.jpg
48KB, 453x604px
>>33079621
Just a small detail that always seems to be gotten wrong. Claymore mines do not use ball bearings but rather a large number of very soft and mild steel cubic fragments suspended in a polymer matrix. Early models did in fact use hardened steel bearings but they were found to have unpredictable and poor patterns of shrapnel dispersion. By switching to the more mild steel fragments a desirable effect was achieved, deformation caused by the explosive forces created a projectile similar to a .22 slug and led to a highly predictable and evenly distributed fragmentation field.
>>
In short...
>>
>>33080528
nobody who matters signed that ottawa treaty
>>
>>33079448
The same way you detect any IED, you look with your eyes.
>>
File: PFM1_mine[1].jpg (691KB, 3000x1800px) Image search: [Google]
PFM1_mine[1].jpg
691KB, 3000x1800px
Come look at what I found! Some kinda plastic thingie. We better take it with us in case the intel guys want a close look. Pick it up and put it in my backpack, will you?
>>
File: blu43[1].jpg (20KB, 440x427px) Image search: [Google]
blu43[1].jpg
20KB, 440x427px
>>33081633

Why, the fucking inhumane commies. I wonder what kind of demented russian hellish scientists could think up that one.

Oh, hey, look what I just spotted in the gravel by the side of the road. More plastic fun!
>>
>>33081633
>>33081667
FUCK THAT

>>33081570
implying you'd be able to spot it if it has the colour of the environment, or better yet hidden under foliage
>>
File: 0109s03.jpg (25KB, 406x483px) Image search: [Google]
0109s03.jpg
25KB, 406x483px
>>33081667
>>33081633
>>
>>33081737

I know. That's probably the origin of these. They were designed to be activated and thrown out into the terrain, by hand or from a chopper and the wings ensured a softer landing. The original one was US, one of many nice things used in Vietnam, and the Soviets copied it and used it in Afghanistan. Step on one or pick it up and you might survive, but your nearest limbs might not. Spread'em out and they are fun for generations of curious kids. Fuck, I'd pick one up myself if I didn't know what it was.
>>
>>33079621
you unscrew the head of a frag grenade and insert the detonator into the blasting cap spot, then you run trip wire to the pin
>>
>>33081975
You are severely underestimating the force it takes to pull the pin from a grenade.
>>
>>33082093
Bend the far side of the pin straight, so it can be pulled out with far less force.
>>
SF troops carry a wide array of equipment and anti mining equipment will be present.

The other thing is, that aside from in extremely specific instances, SF teams have a supporting cast made up of an Infantry battalion, their own signallers, intelligence, engineers and so on. If they're encountering landmines that means they're working against an entrenched enemy, which means they're not doing that without all of the above.
>>
>>33080528
Usa and russia, amongst others, didn't sign it, Those who did still use AT mines and operator detonated mines like the claymore quite commonly.
>>
>>33081975
You can do an infinite number of things to booby trap a Claymore. If you look at the comment chain, the comments are on the fact that people for some reason consider tripwires to be a "Claymore style boobytrap" when there is absolutely nothing in the default Claymore kit for them, nor are any of the boobytrap methods unique to a Claymore, making it a misnomer to call boobytrapping "Claymore style".
>>
>>33079645
dogs are fundamentally one of mankind's greatest creations
I love them so much
>>
>>33081633
Was reserve engineer for a while, french speaking, we had to remember a whole bunch of AP and AT mines, how to deactivate/defuse them and. We'd remember this one by giving it the "petite fille morte" (PFM-1) nickname, which translate to little dead girl/daughter. Fitting, according to the afghan stories.
>>
>>33079559
claymore style is directional antipersonnel
>>
>>33083738
We also nicknamed this one "PT my balls". (PT-Mi Ba II)
>>
File: 0051.jpg (31KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
0051.jpg
31KB, 768x512px
>>33083759
and, forgot the image, damn captcha
>>
>>33083749
Look at the first comment which mentioned Claymores, it talked about tripwires (or "rope") as part of a defining feature. It was a continuation of the pop culture misunderstanding of claymores and their default usage.
>>
>>33083801
>There's also all the claymore style traps with a trip wire which might as well be made from rope

with implies the addition of a tripwire
>>
>>33083939
"All the Claymore style traps with rope" implies it is a style of trap- with rope.
>>
>>33083716

Language is important for clarity. You have stated your point well and I for one will refrain from calling trip wire anti personnel explosion devices 'Claymore style' in the future. Will 'trip wired mines' be preferable or is there a better term?
>>
>>33079381
Rocks.
>>
>>33083776

That's a vicous little bastard. I would see this and think 'handy little spirit burner'. Is that an actual bakelite casing?
>>
>>33079605

I may not have fully understood this description. Does it mean you actually hold the prying rod in your fist with all fingers around it, or are you really only holding it with your thumb pressing it against your knuckles.
>>
>>33084019
Yup, anti-Tank, made in CZ.
>>
>>33081717
Typically you're looking for signs that an IED is placed there, or you're looking for areas that are likely to have an IED.
>>
File: IMAG0343.jpg (2MB, 4224x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0343.jpg
2MB, 4224x2368px
>>33084054
Like pic related (all I had to hand was a pen), basically having the rod/knife resting in between your knuckles, basically your knuckles are acting as sort of a guide so you can push into the ground without the rod wobbling or rolling about.
>>
>>33084205
*obviously you are also using your other hand to push it in and hold the rod steady, just couldnt demonstrate without duct taping my phone to my face or some massive mirror contraption.
>>
File: what the fuck did you just say.jpg (96KB, 1121x885px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck did you just say.jpg
96KB, 1121x885px
>>33079645
>>
>>33084205
>>33084054
>>33079605

If you haven't seen it I'd suggest Kilo Two Bravo on Netflix. That whole movie is a mine ridden clusterfuck.
>>
>>33084273
Ill give that a look, cheers mate
>>
>>33079388
F2PBP
>>
>>33084273
I thought it was really boring.
>>
>>33079381

Walk in the back of the formation.
>>
>>33079381
Dogs.

With dogs or no dogs? Training.

Don't travel along highly trafficked areas (paths of least resistance, this is roads or natural lines of drift) I've never once done an infil where I walked on a road, always through fields. Any time you pass a chokepoint or something that can congest your formation naturally, it gets the lookover by EOD and dog, if you have it. Disturbed earth, prevalence of previous attacks in the area, etc. EOD/K9/Recce take point during the infil so that the route is safe. Check out my boy Brian Mast's documentary as what happened to him happened at a time when he was actually checking a spot for IED's that would be likely to have IED's.

Only bad thing about that documentary is it's only half the story of that infil but still, great dude.

Now, someone tell me the cheapest/best place to get ammo from non-jews like cheaper than dirt.
>>
>>33085075
> ammo for dirt cheap

Depends how close you live to Hungary and how many chickens/cows/underage children you are willing to trade
>>
>>33085116
'murica friendo
>>
>>33085075
SGAmmo
>>
>>33085140
That place seems slightly more expensive than others, is there a specific reason for them? Vets, cool dudes, reliable CS, you own the business?
>>
>>33085209
I only buy 7.62x39 and 9mm online but:
>Mostly it's that they have a record of refusing to price-gouge during panics.
>And they sell Golden Tiger for Tula prices. >And they have some of the best prices on combloc mags/gear around.
>Owner's also pretty active on the big gun boards and answers questions in an extremely reasonable fashion, and gives a head's up about price changes and what they've got coming down the pipe

Based company all-around
>>
>>33085209
ammoseek
or
gunbot
>>
>>33079448
poke at the ground with a knitting needle
>>
By laying down as far you as possibly can away from your target area, and being really good at throwing this grappling hook that tied on via rope. You pull that bitch back with your head in the dirt and hope for the best. Mark the path clear with engineer tape, let your friends run on the tape.

ta-da
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (11KB, 225x191px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
11KB, 225x191px
>>33085378
>>
>>33085378
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPksH_CRHnI
>>
>>33079381
Because they don't do shit? Go read a Seal team 6 book and masterbate clown.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.