[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting thread? Ive been thinking about getting into it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: deer-head-shot-o.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
deer-head-shot-o.gif
1MB, 320x180px
Hunting thread?
Ive been thinking about getting into it help me get hyped bros.
>>
What caliber you planning on using and for what game OP?
>>
>>33076889
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJeKUaCDYw
>>
>>33076889
>Want to hunt
>Don't know any hunters
>Don't know shit about it
>Don't know where to shoot deer
>Don't know what to do once it's dead
Fug. I'd buy a rifle if I could try it once and see if it's for me.
>>
>>33076930
30-06 on elk, going with a buddy of mine who actually owns guns.
>>
>>33076934
OP just leaves it after shooting it
>>
>>33076952
I use 300 win mag for elk
>>
>>33076889
Im 18 now live on my own and and ive come to the the idea of only eating meat i hunt and and food i grow, buddy is gonna teach me the way of the durr.
>>
>>33076934
Same. How do I prepare for next season?
>>
>>33076973
deer is meme. subsistence hunting is all about small game hunting. Get a scattergat n shoot rabbits, waterfowl, and upland birds

ducks, geese, pheasant, chukar, grouse, etc
>>
>>33076889
Rule number one is you don't use an AR
>>
>>33077111
Danke, im thinking of getting a ithaca as me first gun too.
>>
>>33077054
>acquire necessary knowledge
>acquire and become proficient with gun
>research public hunting grounds or suppress autism and ask private land owners (always clean up after self and offer some of the meat as thank you)
>acquire hunting permit and or season license
>>
>>33077147
>Acquire necessary knowledge
>Give some meat
What the hell do I do with a 500 pound animal in the middle of a field? Do I just put it in a truck and drive to the butcher?
>>
>>33077140
cant really go wrong with one. If it's fixed choke, you'll want a "Modified" choke. This will give you a decent pattern out 45-50 yards and still let you shoot slugs...just dont shoot anything you want to eat if its within 15-20 yards...my brother got excited and blew his first pheasant in half at the ribcage
>>
>>33077172
You use your previously acquired knowledge to field dress it and drag it back to the pickup. From there you can process it yourself or pay (a hefty fee) to have someone process it for you.
>>
I've recently watched a show called "Meat Eater" and being someone who hasn't hunted before, I've thus far found it informative. Lucky I found this thread because I was about to make one myself in regards to getting into hunting, and for me I'll start off with a bow, mainly because I don't have my firearm licence yet (Australian) any pointers on where I should get started? As far as game goes in my neck of the woods, we get Kangaroo, Red deer and wild boar.
>>
>>33077172
500lbs for a deer is incredibly optimistic lol. most are 130-200.

you'll want to field dress it (remove the organs) you can study up by watching youtube or reading Field and Stream article...there are different methods and tools you can use but a pair of latex gloves and a knife is all you need. After, yea just take it to a butcher. there are usuall game butchers that advertise each season..or you can learn up and try to skin/butcher it yourself.
>pro tip
DO NOT PIERCE THE STOMACH, BLADDER OR BOWELS WHILE FIELD DRESSING
>>
>>33077244
>Pro tip
Wh-what happens if I do that anon
>>
>>33077260
>cutting open the things that hold bile and shit
Don't know man, no one knows what will happen if you do it. It's a fuckin' mystery.
>>
>>33077213
get reall fucking good with your bow...longest shots I've seen were ~35-40yards.

then get very good at tracking blood and prints.
>>
What are the chances of getting shot hunting? Do I have to buy an orange jacket?
>>
>>33077310
They're $5. Also some state laws require you to wear it if you're not on privately owned land. The Opossum police have more abilities than the feds when it comes to hunting so don't fuck around.
>>
>>33077260
1. it smells fucking awful
2. bacteria gets into the meat and usually spoils it.

also do a fair bit of research into cooking game. Parasites are a much more real issue and deer is pretty gamey. You're gonna wanna remove as much blood as possible and marinate it. Sausage is also a go-to. Shoulder and back strap makes a good steak
>>
>>33077310
it depends on the hunting environment, if your'e hunting in a forest or areas with significant thickets it could be a good idea. I don't bother since where I am in Arizona line of sight isn't an issue. i do bring a glow bely to throw on when it gets dark on the way back, all it takes is one jackass.
>>
>>33077310
most accidents happen crossing obstacles or getting into tree stands.

vests are a good idea, even if they arent required, especially if you're on public land..never know who's where.

most game will be color blind anyway...except turkey. toughest hunts I've had
>>
>>33076934

Where do you live?

>Watch every episode of Meateater
>>
>>33077140

Also start fishing

Hunting is closed for most of the year in most places, fishing is not
>>
>>33076889
Question to any hunters: are milsurp rifles okay for killing deer or do you need something with a scope? Any downsides to using milsurp?
>>
>>33077348

IMO the risks of eating meat from a ruminant that's had the gut punctured are overstated, particularly if you accidentally do it with your knife (would suck more if animal is gutshot, travelled overnight and its been stewing awhile).

I nicked the rumen on the first deer I ever killed, and while it did smell bad, the meat was fine. I've also scooped a couple fresh roadkill deer, and both had scrambled guts. Those were far nastier, but I was still able to salvage the bulk of the meat from the pelvis area. If any actual particulate is on the meat, just trim that off. And if the bladder is ruptured I wouldn't bother with the tenderloins because they'll be marinating in piss while you're working.

I would be a lot more concerned with bear guts though, who the fuck knows what they've been eating. You also find some pretty wild parasites in them.
>>
>>33076933
Damn... is there anyway to get that show without buying it?
>>
>>33078355

You don't need a scope, however they're a huge help.

For one thing, deer are most active at dawn and dusk, times when it's very difficult to shoot with irons. For another, you're not really focusing on the animal when you're shooting - remember, front sight clear, target fuzzy... sucks when you're trying to pick out the grey crease behind the deer's grey shoulder when you can barely see it's outline in the gloom at 80m.

People make it out like it's a marksmanship thing, but for me it's the power of observation and selection that make a scope so valuable. That said, irons are way easier to shoot offhand with IMO.
>>
>>33078423

2 seasons are on Netflix

Used to be a lot of torrents for it around

Also, I've seen full episodes on youtube, you can probably find them if you look
>>
>>33078355
the type of rifle doesn't matter. what matters is that you have a powerful enough round and a soft tipped bullet.

there are lead nosed 7.62x54r, .303, and more out there that are fine to hunt with.

FMJs just aren't as good as a round that mushrooms to twice+ its original diameter at impact
>>
>>33076889
>>33076889
>>33077111
seconded. Small game is the most rewarding. Get comfortable gutting and skinning rabbits, as its by far the easiest. Jackrabbits are a good next step, as you can actually practice cutting specific cuts of meat.

Dove and quail are my favorite and take no skill to gut and feather.

All that can be done with a scattergun, (I personally like my BPS the best, comparable to ithaca.

Dunno what state you live in, but Arizona G&F has detailed maps on where you can hunt, and even videos on how to clean various game species.

Get amped by going to this site and finding a recipe that you really want to try but must kill a wild animal for: http://honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/
>>
>>33076934
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCVFkkyQC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv5g44w3-Ac
>>
>>33078570
What about rounds that tumble?
>>
>>33076889

>Didn't want to hunt originally
>Joined student corporation
>Coincidentally half of them are hunters
>Be able to get your hunting license for free
>Also be able use gramp's Mauser again

Being a mountain nigger feels good
>>
>>33077213
this:
>>33077291
except, if you are real good with a bow tracking blood should be enough. most deer i have shot with a bow have fallen within 50 yards of being shot. like ffirearm hunting: SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY!

also, dont fall for the lighterst arrow possible meme. get a nice mid weight arrow [im talking the whole arrow, not "just the tip"]. 8 to 10 grains per inch should do you.

super light arrows are for competition

and have your bow set up by a pro.
>>
>>33079301
>>33079301
no
>>
File: IMG_1985.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1985.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>33076889
Did something similar with a 50cal muzzleloader.
>>
>>33079823
Heavy arrows are the best unless you're using a 40-45 lb bow or something.

But yeah light arrows suck. Velocity doesn't mean much with arrows like it does with bullets. Momentum is more relavent than kinetic energy.
>>
>>33081179
Story pls
>>
>>33077111
>implying that having 200lbs of meet in a freezer is a meme.

Learn how to hunt all types of animals. Variety is the spice of life.
>>
File: P1010876.jpg (337KB, 1098x570px) Image search: [Google]
P1010876.jpg
337KB, 1098x570px
>>33081636
Deer came very close during muzzleloader season.
Muzzleloader hunting bullets are devastating, expanding to almost 100cal extremely fast. I've yet to shoot a deer that didn't just drop on the spot.
Here's a pic of a bullet I recovered a few years back.
>>
>>33081671

it's a meme in the sense that people tend to believe that frontiersmen lived off killing deer every so often. They were subsitence hunters. A deer couldnt be preserved unless smoked. its easier to go shoot a couple ducks.
>>
File: IMG_5597.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5597.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
I enjoy bird hunting most of all
>>
>>33081714
AH OK, that makes sense.
>>
https://youtu.be/5cx2FwjHTsA
>>
File: download_20170219_234217.jpg (237KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
download_20170219_234217.jpg
237KB, 576x1024px
>>33076889
Responded to a wreck where someone hunted this with their car
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.