[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I join the Navy? Allow me to explain my situation. My

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 10

File: Gunther Prien.jpg (182KB, 744x1105px) Image search: [Google]
Gunther Prien.jpg
182KB, 744x1105px
Should I join the Navy? Allow me to explain my situation.

My family is pure-blood American. We have documentation showing that my family has been here since at least the 1730s. We also have a very long naval tradition, and this is all on my father's side. One of my ancestors was a privateer during the Revolution, another served aboard the USS Constitution as a petty officer, another served aboard a commerce raider in the Civil War, another was supposedly present at the Battle of Manila Bay (no proof of this though). My great-grandfather served in the Navy in WWI, and my grandfather fought the Japs across the Pacific on a destroyer in WWII. My father served aboard a submarine in the 80s.

Now to my mother's side. My mother's side is German. Again, basically pure-blood. She's descended from Prussian royalty, and they also have a very long naval tradition. They were very aristocratic, real flag officer types. My mother is actually the granddaughter of a WWII U-boat captain.

Naturally, I'm expected to become a naval officer. I graduate this year (yes, I'm 18) and my father is really nagging me to make a decision on whether to do NROTC or just enlist (although obviously they want me to be an officer).

How do I tell him that I'm just not that interested? I mean I love the water, but if I did anything nautical related I'd rather just do the merchant service, desu. I'm either going to attend Purdue University or the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. But I just don't feel any passion for the Navy. As a kid, I dreamed of the U-boat battles in the Atlantic, Jutland, the big-gun battles between Russia and Japan before the First World War.

But that stuff just isn't around anymore. These days it's like computers are the stars, not the men manning them.

I'm the third son, so there isn't a ton of pressure on me, but I still don't want to disgrace my family's legacy. Wat do
>>
And no my great-grandfather isn't Gunther Prien, I just picked a random picture
>>
>>33076726
join the coast gaurd to fuck with them
>>
>>33076726
I mean you're clearly a faggot so you were destined to be in the Navy.
>>
>>33076726
Just do what you want
>>
File: 1487025458891.gif (2MB, 415x323px) Image search: [Google]
1487025458891.gif
2MB, 415x323px
>>33076757
>>
>>33076726
You talk too much. Nobody cares desu.

Merchant marines is a good idea, and I wish I did that so I could be cool.
>t. navyfag innasubs
>>
>>33076726
>pure blood
you keep using that phrase. i do not think it means what you think it means

you're also a giant moron. you dont join the navy for the epic sea battles. you join for an education. a job is a means to an end and you're going to need a job for the rest of your life. pick a job that lets you afford your hobbies.

also you should kill yourself at your earliest convenience because you're a giant faggot making giant faggot threads.
>>
>>33076789
Sorry I just felt like anyone who gave a shit enough to answer needed to understand the weight on my shoulders. Yeah, it's easy to say just do whatever the fuck you want but when your family has saltwater for veins you're very much pressured into it
>>
>>33076794
What else would it mean? When I said "pure-blood" American I just mean we've been here for ages. But my mother's side is (was, I guess) very pure-blood Germans. Like they have a pedigree and shit. I realize you don't join the Navy for giant sea battles I'm just saying all of the romance seems to be gone from it today and so I honestly don't really give a shit about it anymore
>>
File: cutter.jpg (120KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
cutter.jpg
120KB, 1024x819px
>>33076726
You should join the coasties, dude. Your father might forgive you for disgracing his legacy if you make Admiral.
>>
Go full into the wild mode
>>
>>33076726
There's no honor in military service anymore the navy is pretty much the airforce but they float on the water.
>>
>>33076867
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I just don't know how to tell my mom and dad that without basically spitting on him and telling him his romantic veneration of the Navy is all bullshit
>>
Worrying about family legacy is what get you fucked over time and time again. At the end of the day, you could be making others proud and be disappointed and ashamed of yourself (and that is the worst feeling possible).

Also, you mentioned that your dad's side served during conflicts but your dad served during the "80s"? Fair to say, if he was peacetime (unless he was involved with Grenada or Panama) during those times it would be much different now with the current political climate. I wouldn't believe your father. Tell him you have better prospects elsewhere.
>>
>>33076852
lol coasties
>>
>>33076882
you could try to be a fighter pilot in the Navy. I'm sure daddy wouldn't get pissed about that, and fighter pilots still fight.
>>
>>33076726
>My family is pure-blood American.
>muh Prussian heritage

lmao every time
>>
>>33076726
No, joining the military is a mistake.
>>
>>33076726

How do you tie a scarf that tight?
>>
File: IMG_0071.png (149KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0071.png
149KB, 500x281px
>giving a fuck about the expectations placed upon you by others

Grow up and tell your dad you're not interested.

Ultimately nothing matters but you and what you want, don't live your life to fulfill someone else's desires. You'll regret it.
>>
>>33076726
I fell asleep at "Allow me to explain"
>>
>>33076972
What? My father's side has been here for almost 300 years. The father's side is the only one that matters. I just mentioned my mother's side of the family because they also come from a naval tradition. And again, yes, they are Prussian. They have documents and shit going back to the 1500s. They were aristocracy.

It's not like I really give a shit. I'm an American, I don't believe in "nobility." From her side I speak German and got to hear some really cool stories from my great-granddad when I was a kid, that's it.
>>
>>33077017
Then why did you reply to the thread, faggot?
>>33077004
Kraut grip
>>33077007
Like I said before, it's easy to say "fuck it do what you want," but it's honestly a lot of pressure to have such a legacy to live up to.
>>
>>33077029
I giggled thanks
>>
>>33076827
>But my mother's side is (was, I guess) very pure-blood Germans. Like they have a pedigree and shit
your ancestry and pedigree mean nothing in a society hellbent on money
>>
I'm in the Navy. My advice is, don't join the Navy. The only neat thing I've done in the last three years is getting a hand job in Guam.
>>
>>33077044
I'm sorry your family doesn't have any history past knowing your grandparents, don't need to take it out on other people
>>33077073
I never said it did? I'm just aware that a lot of Americans claim to be "descended from German royalty" or some dumb shit. She actually is, with those family tree charts and shit. My great-great-grandfather was addressed as "Freiherr"
>>33077075
Better than the zero handjobs I'm getting now
>>
>>33077098
wtf does your ancestry have to do with joining the Navy
>>
>>33077098
I'm German, as in a real German.

But thanks for the laugh anyway.
>>
>>33077117
This thread is OP's life story.
>>
>>33077117
I just told you. We've been in the Navy for hundreds of years. I'm expected to do my part continuing that.
>>33077119
Okay good for you, I never claimed to be German. I simply pointed out that my mother is descended from Prussian royalty. I'm sorry you're descended from peasants.
>>
>>33077169
just try to be a fucking navy pilot
>>
Holy fuck, you're just what this nation needs. You need to tell this story to your navy recruiter. Then tell it to everyone you meet every chance you get. You'll be an admiral in no time thanks to your bloodline.
>>
>>33076726
>She's descended from Prussian royalty

Yeah, and I'm descended from Carl Gustav.
>>
>>33076726
>My family is pure-blood American. We have documentation showing that my family has been here since at least the 1730s

You need to go back. Fucking foreigner.

.t Man whose ancestors came to this country a hundred years before yours and killed the previous inhabitants.
>>
>>33077169
>I'm expected to do my part continuing that.
Live your life by what you want not others, you'll hate yourself if you don't
>>
>>33077198
Her family's estate in Brandenburg literally has dozens of books and shit covering all of this. I really don't give a shit if you believe me or not, I've been there and seen photos of my great-great-grandfather standing next to the Kaiser.
>>
>>33076726
OP, you're a faggot
Nobody cares about your ethnicity or your blood, it's meaningless. Who cares if you're descended from prussians, you still sounds like a dumb nig
>>
>>33077210
And my ancestor rode with Richard the Lionhearted in his personal entourage, does that mean I should buy a horse and run down some middle eastern people while letting the french ruler fuck me?
>>
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>33077210
holy shit, this thread is taking places

hey op, next time troll softly
>>
>>33077237
What the fuck are you talking about? My mom being German has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm saying that my entire family, literally for hundreds of years, has been in the Navy. I am expected to do the same. I'm not really sure if I want to.

If you read the OP you'd see I actually only give a shit about the opinions of people who were or currently are in the Navy and can tell me if it's worth it.
>>
>>33077210
I bet my mom could whoop your moms ass
>>
>>33077271
if you're a pilot it's worth it, if you're not it's not.
>>
>>33077271
nothing is worth it you faggot, existence is completely meaningless
>>
>>33077271
My point is you can either be a Prussian or an American, and that shit was left in the past and in the old country and should mean as much to you as trivia. If you want to be in the navy, be in the navy, but if you're trying to do something to appease your blood consider fucking off back to the old country where that means something.
>>
>>33077271
Assuming this isn't some bait thread, the Navy is one of the best branches if you join.

But you should join because you want to, not because you feel obligated to, or you're expected to.
>>
>>33077337
Retard. All I'm saying is that my family has a long naval tradition. The Prussian thing was mentioned in passing in the OP. Retards in the thread are who blew it out of proportion and made the whole thread about it.

I am an American. I told you I don't consider myself nobility and don't even really give a shit about Germany except when I visit like once a year.
>>
>>33077271
Maybe you can just be a pilot then when it comes time your kids can be in the space navy. Just think dude you could be like commander shepherds great grandpa.
>>
>>33077369
Pretty sure being the biggest faggot in naval history won't do any favors for his kids.
>>
>>33077357
>I told you I don't consider myself nobility
then why the fuck did you even bother to mention it?
>>
>>33077395
to remind you that I'm better than you in every conceivable way and I have been since birth. Enjoy your serfdom, peasant
>>
>>33077384
That's pretty big for the navy.
>>
>>33076726
joined the navy, wasnt for me. got out after just over 2 and a half years. Despite your family tradition i'd say do what you want. Nobody, not even your family, should make you do what you don't want to do. You're 18, or older idk, but point is you're a fucking adult, your folks might not agree with it but it doesn't matter. It's not their life, its yours. Don't live for someone else, live for yourself, you'll be better off.
>>
>>33077506
This isn't me.
>>33077620
Thank you, this helps. I think I'm probably just going to go into the merchant service. My dad can either live with it or not. It's not like I'm his firstborn son anyways, he shouldn't be as fanny flustered as he is.
>>
>>33077634
good on ya, my situation was different as aside from my grandfather being in the airforce nobody else in my family was in the military. But being the oldest and kinda being a fuckup in hs i felt i could make my parents proud if i joined the military.
>>
>>33077634
>This isn't me.

It's a fair representation of what mentioning it makes you look like.
>>
>>33076726
you sound like a massive fag so I'll imagine you'll fit right in
>>
>>33077838
Oh shut the fuck up. You know damn well that if you had a family history half as interesting you'd never shut the fuck up about it. Sorry for mentioning that my family were heroes on both sides of the War.
>>
>>33076827
Nobody fucking cares.
>>
>>33077886
Look, nobody here gives two shits about your "muh highborn heritage" bullshit. For what it's worth, I can trace my family lineage back around 400 years, and it's pretty fucking interesting, but I don't go around constantly telling everyone about it. It makes you sound like an insufferable faggot.

Now, as far as joining the Navy goes, do it if that's what you want in life. If you don't want to do that, find what it is you love and do that. If your family can't deal with the fact that you're living the way you want to, they're shitty people and you shouldn't care what they think. There are plenty of fulfilling jobs in the Navy, but at the same time, it's really not for everyone.
>>
tell them to fuck themselves be a man and join the army.
>>
Become a pirate.
>>
>>33076726
>Naturally, I'm expected to become a naval officer. I graduate this year (yes, I'm 18) and my father is really nagging me to make a decision on whether to do NROTC or just enlist (although obviously they want me to be an officer).
Why are you letting them decide your career for you? You'll be doing this for the rest of your life, you should go to a job you enjoy.
>>
>>33076726
Cool. Literally nobody gives a shit, least of all the people you'd serve with.

You sound like an autistic moron who needs to go outside and learn how to interact with people.
>>
>>33076726
> Allow me to explain my situation.
Okay.

>My family is pure-blood American.
No, they're not.

>We have documentation showing that my family has been here since at least the 1730s.
No, you don't.

>We also have a very long naval tradition, and this is all on my father's side (six pages of bullshit).
No, none of that's true either.

>descended from Prussian royalty
Don't even need to say how not true that is.

>I'm the third son, so there isn't a ton of pressure on me, but I still don't want to disgrace my family's legacy. Wat do.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>33077886
I can assure you, my family is much more interesting than yours. My mother's family are considered the patrons of the Renaissance, and my fathers side has had a few famous people. Including one that had a play written about him you where required to read in high school. Along with the documentation to prove it. It sits in the attic of my parents home.

You see, despite a long and illustrious family history. I gather the most pride from the yeoman who purchased a new rifle with the little money he had saved up so he could shoot the British with it, and secure by force of arms his ability to worship freely. Americans hung up on their old world credentials are shitty Americans.
>>
>>33077237
Fuck yes that sounds awesome
>>
File: doggo.jpg (149KB, 700x869px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
149KB, 700x869px
>>33077886
>>33078438
Apparently you guys only inherited the faggotry of your ancestors, because even on /pol/ I've never seen two anons get into such an autistic dick measuring contest using bloodlines.
>>
>>33076726

Who the fuck cares what the situation is or what your family did, you're the one enlisting and not them, so do what ever floats your boat.
>>
>>33077634

You could always check out the marines since they are a part of the Navy
>>
File: LTV-V-1600-concept-art.jpg (110KB, 1024x710px) Image search: [Google]
LTV-V-1600-concept-art.jpg
110KB, 1024x710px
>>33076827
You're being a gigantic humblebrag faggot but if you really want to join the Navy *and* want romance why don't you become a medical corpsman and save lives or a naval aviator?

Or just become a grunt because the Marines operate under the Navy anyway. It's not like you'll ever personally see even unromantic naval warfare until ISIS learns to sail a dingy.
>>
>>33078438
>. I gather the most pride from the yeoman who purchased a new rifle with the little money he had saved up so he could shoot the British with it, and secure by force of arms his ability to worship freely

god i love America
>>
>>33078438
> Including one that had a play written about him you where required to read in high school.
Othello?
>>
joining the military is for idiots and fuckups

The navy is the most non-white part of the US military too
This is the benefits of diversity, whites stop going into stuff because its all foreigners there.
>>
"""family legacy"""

what a fucking spook

just do what you want to do in life
>>
>>33077634
>I think I'm probably just going to go into the merchant service.
and you would be wrong. unless you're signing on with a buch of niggers on a ship registered out of liberia.
>>
>>33076726
>pure-blood American
opinion discarded
>>
it's a few years of your life which set you up financially and educationally for whatever you want to do afterwards and you maintain a tradition that's been going for centuries: stop being a whining faggot and do your duty to your family.
>>
>>33076726
Unless you're Amerind, there's no such thing as "pure-blood Amerifat", immigrant paleface.
>>
>>33076726

ITT: White supremacist faux royalty lets down family by not joining Navy

If OP didn't have too much emphasis on race, he'd prob get some legitimate answers
>>
>>33080303
maybe if he didnt write like a sheltered autist he would get answers

no one here gives a fuck about his heritage
>full blooded american
pfffft what does this even mean?
>>
>>33076726
>pure blood- American
>t. Chief "Prepping Bull" DeShawn Dreidelsky-Rodriguez
>>
File: 1276011798696.png (205KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1276011798696.png
205KB, 500x280px
You like water but not the Navy because it is all about pushing buttons now?

Go US Marines.

And when your dad bitches at you about it, just say "I want to serve my country, I just donĀ“t want to have to suck cocks daily while doing it."
>>
>>33076726
The way I see it, a year at Purdue will run you anywhere between $23,000 and $41,000. The government is willing to pay for most, if not all, of that if you join up and complete your service.

Hell, if I weren't a lardass, I'd probably be in the Navy right now.
>>
>>33076726
>Prussian Royalty

WE WUZ KANGS
Jokes aside which branch?
>>
>>33076726
walloftext.exe
>>
>>33078936
See
>>33078438
>Americans hung up on their old world credentials are shitty Americans.

I only responded about my family because he incorrectly assumed people didn't give a shit about his ancestors because our own where boring, while people don't give a shit because it doesn't fucking matter. That shit has no place in the United States, and never will because we aren't a nation with nobility.
>>
>>33078438
>I can assure you, my family is much more interesting than yours.
You aren't doing them any justice then, you boring narcissistic cunt
>>
>>33076726

Just do it OP. Make your ancestors proud.

My family is from germany as well, old school cavalry officers from as far back as 18th century according to my dad and some family papers and stuff I've seen. Gramps on my moms side was an artillery officer. Dunno really what gramps on dads side did in the war... Dad doesn't talk about it and there are no papers on him, just told me he was an officer.

I was in the navy, but ended up as an MP. Didn't make officer. Got some grumbles from dad for that but he's still proud of me. Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
File: shoulders.jpg (533KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
shoulders.jpg
533KB, 714x1000px
>>33081075
Yeah, I'll agree with you on that. It doesn't matter if my entire lineage consists of alcoholic hobos and prostitutes, I am the man I am today because I choose to be that man, not because of a freaking "pedigree" or whatever OP calls it.
>>
>>33076726
Navy Reserves
>>
>>33077357
Calm down there pure blood.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.