[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to get a Browning Hi Power aka "hand fedora".

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

Looking to get a Browning Hi Power aka "hand fedora".

Is there anything I should know about the current production mk3 versions? The prices for the new ones are about the same as the older ones in my area (not to mention I'm bound by a handgun roster nobody can consistently interpret), and they all cosmetically look the same to me.

When I get mine I intend on putting on wood grips if it doesn't already have one and replacing the spur hammer with a ring hammer.

Also why does /k/ hate the browning hi power so much?
>>
>>33060100
People on /k/ will hate on anything. A lot of guys here still love the though. If they weren't good guns it wouldn't be so popular and the design wouldn't be in production for so long.
>>
>>33060100
>Is there anything I should know about the current production mk3 versions?

The MK3 has a straight feed ramp, which is a change from the original and Mk2 humped feedback. From what I understand, this allows to to feed flat-nosed and hollowpint rounds much more reliably than the originals. As far as I know, that's the biggest change. If you plan on using it for more than a range toy, grab the MK3
>>
>>33061118
>humped feed ramp, fucking autocorrect
>>
Are the new production ones still made by FNH even though the slide says Browning Arms?
>>
>>33061358
As far as I know, they are.
>>
>>33060100
People don't like it because of the magazine disconnect(which you can take out pretty damn easily) and the fact that it's a pretty mediocre SAO trigger. Now, I don't know if they've improved it in later years, but that's always been the complaint with the BHP.
>>
>>33060100
I like mine. I don't get the fedora thing about the gun.

All but the earliest MkIIIs have a firing pin block, so check if you are going to carry it.

There isn't much cosmetic difference to be had in Hi-Powers, especially if you limit yourself to MkIIIs. I'd say to find one that has sights you like. MkIIIs have dovetailed slides, so while the sights are fairly easy to change, they will still be harder to swap out than the grips or the hammer.

Not sure if you are buying locally or online, but AIM Surplus had some refinished MkIIIs a couple weeks ago. I got my MkII from them last year.

>>33061118
Humped feed ramps were on pre MkIIs. I think it was early 80s when MkIIs came out with the straight ramp. Everything earlier had the hump.

>>33061358
FNH is the manufacturer. Browning imports them.

>>33062601
They are reasons to not like the gun, but not really any different for like any other gun with its own bad reasons.

Mag disconnect is stupid easy to remove. The trigger is not the greatest, but is far from terrible. I like my Hi-Power's trigger more than my P238's, and it feels better than the polymer striker fired pistols I've fired too. By no means does it compare with the target grade 1911s I've shot.
>>
>>33060100
We don't hate the Hi-Power. I plan on buying the Mark III version myself later this week.
>>
>>33063421
Are MKIII's alright with +P ammunition?
>>
>>33063512
Yea, the ejection port was strengthened on the Mk III.
>>
>>33063643
>>33063512
even MK Is and IIs are good to go with +p, since they were rated to shoot 9mm NATO, which is quite a bit higher than +p pressures and velocities. the problem is people shooting +p+ which has no limit or standard and can literally be whatever the fuck the guy who made it wanted it to be, or throwing a .40 barrel in and thinking they are fine.
>>
So is there any alternative to looking for a MKIII if I wanted a Hi-Power that reliably feeds hollowpoint ammunition?
>>
>>33064104
Like >>33063421 said, MKII's are viable for that as well.
>>
Standard or MkIII?
>>
>>33063512
I'm not 100% sure. I've heard the Israeli Kareens are good to go on +P, but I'm not sure why beyond Hebrew Magic.

I've also heard what >>33064078 says. I'd say you'd be fine to use them for defensive rounds, but I wouldn't go crazy on using them for target practice or plinking though.

>>33064104
I just put 15 rounds of hollow points and 50 FMJ t through my MkII a couple hours ago. Not a rigorous test, but no problems.
>>
>>33063421
>I don't get the fedora thing about the gun.
That's because there is nothing to get. It's a stupid /k/ meme and a fairly recent one at that.
>>
>>33060100
My problem is whenever I buy new grips for my gun then I go on /k/ and see other grips I instantly get buyers remorse and want different grips
Sort of like a grass is always greener situation but maybe it's my autism
Also my hogue grips are pretty but they are not comfortable and it seems like dirt and carbon just fucking stick to it like a magnet
>>
>>33064743
>not having a whole wardrobe for your pistol
It's like you don't even love your guns.
>>
File: 1472356709856.jpg (45KB, 800x364px) Image search: [Google]
1472356709856.jpg
45KB, 800x364px
>>33060207
people on /k/ will hate on any gun they didn't buy/can't afford

the Hi Power was designed(mostly) by john browning
and as far as this boards concerned anything by him is a blessing onto this earth
>>
>>33065138
Even better in the mans own words, he thought it fixed everything wrong with his 1911 design before he died. But fags cant get past "1911 has flaws" as a thought, and since it was never adopted by the us (unlike literally 60+ other countries using it and a lions share STILL using it) it never had the nostalgia factor.
>>
Anybody ITT actually carry a Hi Power? How's it working out for you? Any holster recommendations?
>>
W E W
E
W
>>
File: 1487619703918.jpg (12KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
1487619703918.jpg
12KB, 239x211px
>>33060100
>hand fedora
>>
>>33065677
I would tell you but there's only one left of the one I want and I don't want anyone to buy it
>>
>>33065233
Interesting, where did you read JB said that?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.