[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am shipping out on an 03xx next month and I have a question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

I am shipping out on an 03xx next month and I have a question regarding money. How easy is it to save? I want to save all my money so I have a fuck ton of money when I get out in 4 years. I already have a car and $8,000 in cash going in that I've saved. I'm stingy with my money and save every penny I earn and always look for ways to not spend and save more. I'm not going to spend my money going out, hookers or peacocking because I hate that shit.

My question is how easy is it to save? I don't understand how so many military guys are so broke and constantly need money. How much money did guys save? What about while on deployment?
>>
>>33052460
DON'T

GET

MARRIED

FUCK DONT DO IT YOU FUCKING BOOT
>>
>>33052481
This and only this.
>>
After almost 7 years with only 1 deployment, I'm getting out in a few months with about $30k in the bank, plus some money in a TSP that I need to roll over. Also no debt.
A lot of people are just bad at living within their means and saving.
>>
>>33052481
I ain't getting married dude. Trust me. I ain't stupid. I'm full Scholomo with my money I've only payed for less than 10 dates in my life including in a 2 year relationship.

I just don't get how military are so shit with their money. One of my friends told me his guys made him pay for a $600 tab at a titty bar? Wtf?
>>
>>33052481
>>33052497 here, my wife also has about the same in her bank account and she's on terminal right now. That double GI bill money is gonna be fucking sweet, too.
>>
>>33052497
>$30k in the bank
holy shit you can buy 150 hi-points
>>
>>33052497
$30k for 7 years don't seem like much but than again im just a stupid neet
>>
File: gOJCj3U.jpg (80KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
gOJCj3U.jpg
80KB, 800x600px
>>33052497
>7 years
>30k in the bank
>>
Set up a savings account with a bank and have a third of your wage sent there automatically.
>>
>>33052563
>>33052675
I had to buy funs and computer parts, too, guys.
And alcohol. Lots of alcohol.
>>
>>33052460
Get a fake wife and get a divorce when you get home.
>>
>>33052859
but minimum wage/part time work makes between 18-25k annually. I thought my taxes were taking care of you fags, I feel bad now.
>>
>>33052460
There's really no tricks to it. Have more income than expenses. I find it very easy to have my monthly expenses taken out of my paycheck and automatically deposited into an expenses account. What's left is mine to play with--either spend it (food, fucking, or funs) or save it (toss it into a separate savings account). Meanwhile, I've got a line for basically forced savings--money I set aside for saving longer-term. I just used most of that for paying down student debt.

As for money management, keep it simple. If you have nearly zero living expenses (barracks, cafeteria, minimal car payment) then give yourself $100 a week to blow ($5200 a year), set aside what you need for your car ($200-300/mo plus insurance) and cellphone ($40 to $100/mo) and save the rest. Invest it into the stock market or at the very least a money-market account.

An E-1 makes $18,336 in 1 year. You should have about $15,000 after taxes (state and federal). Assuming you spend $400/mo on a car, gas, insurance, and cellphone, then you're at +$10,200 a year. Waste that $100/week fully and you're at $5,000 in savings that year.

Get to E-3 and you make $22,164 a year and should see $18,500 after taxes. $10,000 in expenses and spending money and you still have $8,500 saved in a year or $13,500 total (plus your $8K for $21,500).

Now, easiest way to blow that money would be to go to a Ford dealership and buy yourself a Super Duty or a Mustang. At age 18, your credit is shit (lol 10% APR) and your insurance will be ridiculous (lol $500/mo). Insurance alone will take about $5K/year and the big car payment will take even more--so you can see it's easy to lose all your money with a few careless decisions. That's typically how military are so broke all the time. Between that and alcoholism at the crappy club (pick your poison--dance club, strip club, or gay club) and you're out even more. Don't be a pushover either and you'll be fine.
>>
>>33052916
>An E-1 makes $18,336 in 1 year.

don't they make more when you factor in all other allowances? Also no one stays e1 for a year right?
>>
Best thing I did was to put my things in storage and end my apartment lease whenever I deployed, especially since all the apartments in my area didn't do deployment savings, some do so it may be worth it not to have to move often. Also you can shut off your cell phone and not pay while deployed, plus call you car insurance and have them put it in storage status so your maybe paying $20 a month while your gone. We did 6 month tours and I typically pocketed $20k+ each time.
>>
>>33052937
I'd also like to point out a Navy e7 told me he makes $80k/year before taxes with all of his allowances and there are schemes to pocket most of that money. Can you explain this please?
>>
>>33052937
I was an E3 by the time I finished training and got to my first duty station. Pay is shit because unless your married, your living in the barracks and eating at the chow hall for your first couple years. Then you start getting food and housing allowances
>>
File: download.jpg (28KB, 500x627px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
28KB, 500x627px
>>33052460
Make sure you qualify for 100% disability before you get out. You need at least 10% to get the good parking, but there are a lot of other benefits.
>>
>>33053033
>>33053033
>Get Diagnosed with asthma
>Have perma nerve damage in part of hand
>Can still do job.
>Have hip issues from training in germany
>already looking at around 50%

lel
>>
>>33053064
I didn't get shit for my asthma diagnosis, plus I'm probably getting cancer one day from all the chemicals I've been covered heat to toe in
>>
>>33053082
>>33053082
did you get it officially diagnosed? like all the billion test they do along with allergy testing n shit?

Ive been in and our of appointments at the asthma/allergy clinic like a goddamn cancer patient.

if you got exposed to abestos its like an auto 50%
Documented that is.
>>
>>33053082
Mmmmm delicious

Sounds like aircraft maint.

Don't you just fucking love fuel / hyd baths?
Scraping layers of dried skin from your hands?
>>
>>33053166
Ya I got tested at a civilian clinic, they put me in a plexiglass cube and induced an asthma attack, came back positive. Also they were removing aspestos from our dorm in Texas with us living in it, workers all had full respirators while we pretended nothing was happening, I'm sure we're all fucked
>>
>>33053033
At 100% you're looking at actual legal restrictions on how much work you can do, or so I've been told. I'm at a comfy 60%, and it's not too bad.
>>
>>33053197
Oh ya, especially since our hydraulic test stands were left overs from F111's and loved to blow up, or the latches failed to close when disco'd and sprayed your ass
>>
>>33053082
Sounds like you fucked up, but I'm still in for a few months. I was diagnosed with asthma a few years ago which has since been exacerbated by Afghan burn pits.
Talk to the VA and hope you can still find your medical records.
>>
>>33053246
It's easier when your documented being around those burn pits. I was an airfag, so even though there's a hundred reasons why I suddenly developed asthma, the government won't acknowledge it
>>
>>33052481
This cannot be stressed enough.
>>
>>33053198
>Also they were removing aspestos from our dorm in Texas with us living in it
Same shit happened to me at MCAS New River. Now I have "nodules" in my lungs, and my crazy German mad scientist type VA doctor won't give me a straight answer about what they are.
>>
>>33053198
>>33053198
sounds like you got fucked at the TMC desu
>>
OP: don't blow your money on a new car, don't get married, don't knock anyone up, and try not to become a raging alcoholic.
>>
>>33052460
Just got out anon. Here is how you save money.

Dont smoke, dont drink, dont eat out.

Dont fucking buy a new car. They are a money pit. So is the insurance

Stick to fucking on base, and be smart about it. hook up with an officer, they keep quiet and 9/10 are freaks. You have a small chance of getting your PP smacked all the way to court martial if you come across badly in the start. TL/DR: Do not shit where you eat.

DO: Throw your money into the TSP.
DO: Throw your money into a roth IRA.

Also: Spend a fuck ton of time at the gym, its free, it passes time, it helps with the PT tests.

Also also: Get all the free education you can. Everything. Take Operational Risk management, get to know the people around you. Take the Lean Six Sigma shit. Take any leadership courses you can. Cash in your fucking free 5k a year in college assistance. CASH IN ON YOUR FREE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM.

You are infantry, your life is shit. Know this now. You are peacetime, its even more shit. You can either be stupid, or build a relationship with your leadership where they know you want to learn, to learn as much as you can. Eventually if you are not a fuck up you start getting sent on TDY to training seminars as the token grunt who has a brain.

----
tl/dr: 4 years of school, beating off, fucking on occasion, eating shitty chow hall food, and getting paid to do dumb shit. follow up with another 4 years of school and make 100k a year off the start. Post to new idiots on 4chan.
>>
>>33053208
they clamed down on 100%, which is fair.

I fought to stay in, but ended up with 100% because I am probably not going to enjoy old age. Know what though? 10/10, would go war again. Fuck real life.
>>
>>33053603
any more things man?

I just wanna be a soldier and do soldier shit but also want to have many shekels when I get out

also, do you really get $5k/year free in college shit? Can I use that for shit like getting a commercial helicopter pilots license or firefighting? Does the money roll?
>>
>>33052481
>Thread times a universe full of internets x a million
>>
>>33053797
It's $7500 a year, and no it doesn't roll over. As far as what types of classes you can take, just ask your local education office.
>>
>>33053603
That's what I'm doing now, did 6 years, saved up $50k from three deployments, bought a bunch of guns, 2 years into school now for mech engineering all paid for
>>
>>33052460
>USMC
>money
>not going directly into a hooker's bank account.
This satire or something?
>>
>>33052937
Nobody stays E-1 for a year. Realistically, there's a few types of allowance that Enlisted can easily collect. A uniform allowance is automatic and annual; a housing allowance is available ($1400 for a single E-1 in my current zip; $875 for my prior). You can also get an allowance for food (if you don't take meals at the cafeteria). The government also pays you extra if your duty station changes. Overall, there's a lot of extra programs that take your $18K pre-tax ($15K post-tax) to more like $30K ($15K of which is untaxed). There's a few other ifs involved, but typically you'll be ahead if you live at the average for your age group (which is to say pay $900 for an apartment when BAH pays $1400--utilities and services may add $200 but gives you $300 directly into your bank account).

>>33053603
Don't smoke. Always a rule. Don't drink--or if you do, keep it light social (drink like your parents would). Don't eat out--or if you do, keep it to a meal or two a week. Don't buy a new car--and if you do, it should be the econobox sedan since it's not like you can drive it while deployed. It's not like you need a truck for work--that's what the motor pool is for.

Last but not least, when you do buy stuff, buy durable stuff that you'll actually keep. $300 flashlight that costed $20 to make? Spend $40 on an equivalent model without the logos. Super Duty because it's cool? Spend half as much on a Tacoma since it's still more capable than what you'll ever use it for. Titty bar? Find yourself an actual girlfriend and for God's sake--wrap you willy and don't marry the town bike.
>>
>>33053033
Why are neither of them smiling?
>>
>>33052460
Put that $8k into an ETF that tracks general indexes like the DOW and S&P. It'll surprise you how fast it grows in 4 years
>>
>>33052497
Pog
>>
>>33053208
You only have work restrictions if you're on 100% Individual Unemployability. If you have schedule rating of 100%, meaning all of your disabilities total 95% or more because of rounding, you have no restrictions on how much you can work.

The point of IU is for someone who is only scheduled +60% to be paid at the 100% level because they cannot work.

Source: I'm getting out with 100 right now.
>>
>>33053534
What barracks?
>>
>>33054511
One is depressed because they gave up a life of joy to be a servant.

The other got his face blown off in a war.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.