[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a M48. What's good cheap 8mm ammo for it? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: mau4801.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg (219KB, 800x275px) Image search: [Google]
mau4801.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
219KB, 800x275px
Just got a M48. What's good cheap 8mm ammo for it? I've done some research and my basic conclusions are

>Pretty much all the surplus ammo is gone unless you can get it locally.
>There's new production romanian/hotshot ammo that is cheap but may or not cause your bolt to stick. Considering picking up a box to see whether it does or not.
>Prvi PPU ammo seems the next cheapest, and works out to ~76c a round after shipping.

That sound right?
>>
>>33052154
Yeah basically. You can use the cheapish new romanian stuff but bring a rubber mallet and or full length cleaning rod for if your bolt sticks. I experienced it once during about 400 rounds.
>>
>>33052154
>good cheap 8mm

There is none. If you want quality 8mm, then there's only S&B.

PPU makes good brass, but their 8mm loads are almost as pathetic as US loads.
>>
>>33052230
Huh, how much weaker is it than vintage ammo? Why are domestic 8mm loads so low, anyway? Fudds?
>>
>>33052296
Most commercial 8mm loads, particularly American loads, are unloaded for a reason.

8mm was originally chambered for the .311 bore in the Gewehr 88. They later changed to .323 bores for the new S Patrone.

Commercial US manufacturers underload 8mm so in case some fudd tries shooting full power 8mm and blows up their old Gewehr 88 rifle, they can't sue them for damages.

You can read more here: http://omegacrossroads.com/GunCabinet/8X57/8mmMauser.htm
>>
>>33052336
*.315 bore
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Since there's no surplus thread I'll ask this here. So I disassembled my No.4 to completely clean it, and found a section in between the chamber and receiver were there seems to be section missing. This is in the same area as the gas port hole thing, so is it supposed to be there? Or is this corrosion/damage.
>>
>>33052623
.318, actually.
>>
I've been firing Romanian ammo out of mine. Sometimes it sticks, leaves a lot of residue and smoke as well.
Since it's a 98 action gun, you can fire any 8mm out of it. You don't have to worry about avoiding Turkish or Iranian ammo for safety reasons (Only for quality).
I've also only recently realize how much of a brick the thing is. It weights more than any other Mauser I've handled and that comes down to the stock being so fucking thick.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>33052785
Another pic
>>
I've got 8mm Mauser ammo, a fuckton of it.
How much should I sell it for per rd?
>>
>>33052230
Hornady loads are good too but expensive.
>>
>>33052154
Noice. I shot my friend's today and now I'm seriously considering getting one for myself.
>>
>>33052154
If they ever import any more Yugo 8mm (assuming it's not all gone) snatch that shit up, it's good stuff. Other than that you can find Turk ammo in bandoleers for pretty cheap, but it's also dirty and highly corrosive. Fine if you have a bolt action and don't mind cleaning your gun.
>>
>>33056035
Do they still make 8x57? I've never seen any of it in stock anywhere.
>>
>>33056665
Idk about that. Picked up a box for $40 a couple months back from a gun store.
>>
>>33052154
Do not I repeat do not use hotshot. Their ammo is utter trash.

I had a case rupture in my first 10 rounds of firing through my m48.
>>
>>33052154
Romanian Hotshot sticks because for whatever reason, the rounds are coated in small amounts of weird cosmoline-like grease and this isn't always removed all that well in the factory. When you fire the rifle with one of these rounds that has visible grease on it, the casing expands and melts the shit in between the chamber and casing wall, effectively sealing the casing in the chamber until you beat it out with a cleaning rod.
>>
>>33052786
lands vs grooves m8
>>
>>33052154
avoid the cheap 40cpr 'non ww2 dimensions' romanian stuff

the stuff is out of spec and wont fit in most guns

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mauser-8x57mm-js-323-bore-non-wwii-dimensions-fmj-170-grain-20-rounds?a=1741208
for example
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.