[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the anon from yesterday's thread where I mentio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

File: Kriegsmarine hat.jpg (2MB, 2448x1624px) Image search: [Google]
Kriegsmarine hat.jpg
2MB, 2448x1624px
This is the anon from yesterday's thread where I mentioned that I probably just wasted $2000 on a bunch of fake World War II-era Kriegsmarine hats. Just wanted to do a quick update and ask for any more advice.

Here is the lot for reference:
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1028/4808#detail

>call the auction house
>ask if they verify the authenticity of things before they sell them, even if they can't "guarantee" it
>they say no
>but they have an "expert" or something who can take a look at them for me
>he does
>they do a blacklight test
>he calls back and tells me that the first one displayed no fluorescence, the second displayed a dull glow on the cloth, and the third displayed no fluorescence on the cloth but some on the stitching
>furthermore, the patch on the second cap appeared to be very loosely hand-sewn on, and the first cap (the winter cap) displayed some fluorescence on the inner sweat band

So how accurate is the blacklight test? I'm well aware that it isn't some miracle for determining the date something was made. But from what I've been told, Germany in WWII used very little treated cloth. I believe there's a few examples of genuine visor caps that used fluorescent velvet for piping and stuff, but I'm not an expert.

They said they'd talk to management about canceling the purchase but I'm probably fucked. Is there even a slim chance these might be real, knowing the above results for the UV test?
>>
>>33047151
Why don't you just wear the hates OP
>>
>>33047174
Because they're probably fake as fuck and I paid $2000 for them. If they're not real what's the fuckin point?
>>
>>33047151
don't be a bitch about it. Absolutely refuse to accept them and don't pay a dime. They tried to sell you a counterfeit product and that's not your problem. Tell them that unless they have products that are actually what you purchased they can take a hike.
>They said they'd talk to management
Nigga, they aren't doing that. You should know this, even car salesmen do that. "Hmm, let me talk to the manager" then they just shoot the shit for two minutes and tell you to get fucked.
>>
>>33047151
The UV is useless on anything German made after 1922, because that's when the IG Farben started to produce huge amounts of chemical coloring and bleaching agents. Especially the sweatband result means nothing.

But regardless of that the Oak Leaves on this hat is one for WH Generals. The little rim(I don't know how to say it" is used for the WH visor caps, the Kriegsmarine ones shouldn't have that. Furthermore 99% of the effects on the caps are handstiched and not made from stamped metal.
>>
>>33047206
If I "refuse to pay" they're just going to take the money anyways. You're required to have a credit card on account.

And if you read the title of the items, I believe they covered their ass.
>Kriegsmarine Style
>Style
In the last thread I explained that I kinda bought them on a whim over the phone while waiting for the gun I wanted to come up for auction. I made the mistake of assuming they authenticate things before they sell them and I was wrong.
>>
>>33047283
What does WH stand for?
>>
>>33047184
to keep your head comfy
>>
File: 1447699877796.png (721KB, 738x822px) Image search: [Google]
1447699877796.png
721KB, 738x822px
How did you make over 2000 in disposable income while being this retarded with money? Holy shit, nigger.
>>
>>33047350
wank head
>>
>>33047389
>$2000 in disposable income
>somehow noteworthy
Top kek, if you can't afford to drop $2000 on something I feel bad for you
>>
>>33047414
You're not really in any position to talk shit OP
you fucked up pretty embarrassingly
>>
>>33047338
So dispute you dumb nigger.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 250x231px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 250x231px
>>33047151
>I just spent $2000 on hats

God bless you, son.
>>
>>33047414
I never said that it was impressive to have that much to blow, I'm saying that OP is financially retarded, judging by the transaction that he has described in this thread, and that it is surprising that he has gotten this far if he is this stupid.
>>
>>33047151

Why would you drop $2000 on those without getting any sort of independent verification first?

In all likelihood they're early postwar repros, probably from the 50s when they were churning those out like cheap chinese halloween costumes
>>
I poked a little around on the uv theme myself.

http://www.cycleback.com/blacklight/cloth.html
"A person who bought an antique style New York Yankees baseball cap will be able to identify it as a modern reproduction by tags and stitching the fluoresces brightly.
As many cloth items are made from a variety of cloths and threads, the optical brighteners will often appear only on parts. For example, most of a modern baseball cap might not fluoresce, but the emblem, stitching and laundry tag might. Cloth or thread that doesn't fluoresce brightly doesn't mean it isn't modern. In fact, most dark cloth don't contain optical brighteners."
>>
>>33047338
Then you cancel the charge. They have to validate the debt, and then they don't because they're counterfeit goods.
>style
the idea that this covers their ass doesn't work because the description clearly labels them as X.
>>
>>33047422
That wasn't me.
>>33047440
Dispute what? Legally they're pretty set. They only guarantee the title of the item. "Kriegsmarine Style Hat" could be Halloween costume legally speaking.
>>33047542
Nope. Read their terms and conditions. It says the descriptions are the opinions of the sellers/auction house. Opinions, they make no guarantee that's what they are.
>>
>>33047338
What is chargeback
>>
>>33047573
Okay so? Have you signed some sort of contract? Lmao
>>
>>33047586

Not OP. But the contract is signed when you start a user account there. Remember all that small writing nobody reads?
>>
>>33047586
Yes. By bidding in the auction you agree to the terms and conditions.

Legally, I have no leverage. It's really just up to them to decide if $2000 is worth their reputation and a possible otherwise loyal customer.
>>
>>33047622

Actually you could ask the RIA to put the same items back up for sale on your behalf and not even send you the items. That has probably happened before.
>>
>>33047622

This. There's not really any legal recourse. I think you can, possibly successfully, dispute the transaction via your credit card company though.

Auction houses run on reputation. They did disclose the fact that they don't check authenticity in house. That's a red flag. But, they didn't disclose that on the lot information on their site, so maybe that helps your case.

You bought authentic gayhats. You received fraudulent gay hats. Dispute the transaction immediately.
>>
>>33047932
>I think you can, possibly successfully, dispute the transaction via your credit card company though.

This bit here is likely true. Especially if you've been a loyal customer and put your foot down. Those guys go great lengths to settle disputed transactions.
>>
>>33047350
Wehrmacht Heer -> Army
>>
If the items where sold as genuine German militaria they will have to take the shit back, because it would be fraud. The item in the OP picture might be made from German uniform parts, but it is not a original configuration. Although they might argue that it's an easily recognizable fake and it's your fault for wasting your money.
>>
>>33047184
>Paying $2000 for hats.

The hats being fake isn't the problem.

OP being an idiot is the problem.
>>
>>33047414
On a fucking gun, ammo, a pool table, a tv maybe.

But fucking hats? You could have bought fake ones and displayed them and no one would ever know
>>
>>33048137
>>33048188
WWII-era Kriegsmarine hats are worth hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars a piece. It was a good investment if they were real.
>>
OP you never told me why you wouldn't wear the hats
>>
>>33047338

Yeah, calling anything X Style basically means it's a replica, they never promised you a genuine WW2 item and it's your fault for misinterpreting the ad.
>>
>>33048377
Kind of a scuzzy business practice though. I can't believe they'd risk their reputation on shit like that.
>>33048361
Because they're fake. Wearing them will just remind me that I wasted $2400 on 4 hats.
>>
>>33048452

Anything worth money will be worth faking as long as the manufacture cost is lower than the sales value. Faberge eggs are faked using real jewels.
>>
>>33048452

Wait, so you blew $2.4k, not just $2k?

Haha holy shit
>>
>>33048452
Or you just got some really dope hats
>>
>>33048601
With their 15% take, it comes up to about $2400, yeah.
>>33048605
Hopefully some fudd at a gun show also thinks they're really dope hats worth $400 a piece, cause that's where they're going.
>>
>>33048601
20% goes to auction house fees.
That sucks OP, hopefully they work something out with you.
>>
File: 1413171377323.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1413171377323.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>33047414
>I'm so wealthy I can waste 2.4k on chink repros! >Look at me, just buuuuuurning cash like it ain't shit

Look me in the eyes and tell me you wouldn't trade your fake hats for a G43 (not the fucking glock)

LOOK IN MY EYES AND SAY IT
>>
The funny part about this isn't that OP spend $2400 on hats, but that he wanted high value collector items without having an actual clue how to spot an original. You are just one of those stupid American wehraboos destroying, ergo you deserve it.
>>
>>33048896
>destroying the market prices
>>
>>33048896
No, I didn't even know they were that collectible. I thought old German hats were worth like $500 in pristine condition. If you read the thread or the last one you'd know that I collect nautical and naval memorabilia. When I saw them come up for auction I just figured they were some cool old naval hats that I could add to my display. I didn't realize that real ones are worth thousands and these were most likely fakes.
>>
>>33049094
In that case make sure you only show them to normies who don't realize that they are fake. If they are made out of original parts you might be lucky enough to make one or two genuine caps out of your four. When you get them provide picture, so we can tell you if you can put something together that'S wort the money you spend
>>
>>33047695
Underrated post
Put them up for auction in the next regional, if one person was willing to drop $2.4k maybe another fool will do the same in a few months
>>
>>33047184
Implying you wouldnt have still wasted 2 grand if they were authentic.

Might as well keep your head nice and toasty OP
>>
>>33049281
If they were authentic I wouldn't have wasted two grand because they would be worth that to me. And many others, considering you can't find a Kriegsmarine officer's cap for less than $2000 or a Waffen SS NCO visor cap for less than $5000.
>>33049278
I might try that. That's just so far away though. I originally was only going to pay $800 for the Kriegsmarine caps. The only reason I paid $1600 was because there were three other people bidding a lot on them.
>>
>>33049278
Or you could man up and eat the loss
It's up to you
>>
>>33047338
Cancel your card immediately, and do a chargeback if you've already been charged.

Hell, go to an ATM if you have to and get the money out beforehand so you can't be charged.

It's not that hard mate.
>>
>>33049300
>considering you can't find a Kriegsmarine officer's cap for less than $2000
Why did you think you found 3 for $800 then?
>>
>>33047151
OP, serious collector here.

In the future if you're not sure on an items legitimacy but are interested, be it auction or dealer go to - wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/

Make a profile and ask their opinion, even if you ask other 'collectors' opinion most of the time they're are inaccurate and false.

Before you splash out 2k on repro gear or bastardized genuine gear with repro insignia ask the opinion of the guys whom actually write the resource books for the community.

Personally i don't collect headgear because of how sketchy that market is and only stick to Third Reich medals.

Also if the auction site doesn't take photos of the interior of the hats leave it well alone.
>>
OP you better have given them an Amex number. Amex is like a very protective pimp.
>>
>>33049379
Does nobody read the fucking thread? I've said honestly probably 4 times that I did not realize that real ones were worth that much money at the time that I was bidding. It was a spur of the moment thing. I collect naval shit. I saw naval shit. I bid on naval shit. I never thought that these things were worth so much money that they were faked so much, and I thought that the auctioneers would at the very least do the bare minimum of authenticating shit.
>>33049360
And have them take me to court? Or wreck my credit score? When you bid you agree to their terms and conditions. They haven't even charged me yet. I'm waiting to hear back from their management after the auction over to discuss cancelling it because it was misleading.

You agree to their terms and conditions. If you win an item, you pay for it. Period. If you don't, they're authorized to contact your bank/credit card company to secure payment.
>>33049397
Thank you. In hindsight it's probably too late now and I think from now on I just won't collect anything Nazi Germany related, even if it is naval stuff. I just wanted the hats really bad because I have a Kriegsmarine sextant made by Plath Hamburg that I thought they would look neat next to.
>>
>>33049441

I would like to see that sextant. Not an expert, just interested.
>>
I wish I had the kind of money that allowed me to drop two grand on a spuriously advertised collectors item with no practical use without even taking the effort to double-check things.

If it makes you feel better OP even with the bad decisions you made you're still richer than I am.
>>
>>33049441
It's ok OP you're not the first and certainly not the last. They wouldn't have been the only sketchy items in that sale so from that auction alone you're in the same boat as a lot of the other buyers.

Third Reich auctions unless they are selling a vets estate or from high end auctioneers, tend to be like 90% of fakes. In my experience.

It's how dealers and collectors shift the stuff they cant sell in the community and most new collectors start at the auctions thinking they're getting a good deal. So it becomes a minefield.

If you do go to an auction, go to a pre-viewing ask to take multiple images from every angle of the item then go to that website i said and ask there. They're really helpful and a lot of the communities main experts frequent that site.

Don't be disheartened by it, if you still want to collect TR gear, I've bought unknowingly a lot of fakes over the years, especially when i first started.

Put them back on the auction.
>>
>>33049465
It's like gambling, it's a good price if they are real. Sometimes taking a gamble on an item pays off.
>>
>>33049517
>Put them back on the auction.
That seems pretty unethical.
>>
>>33049441
>I have a Kriegsmarine sextant made by Plath Hamburg
please provide a picture, I'm really curious about the condition it's in
>>
>>33049573
lel yeah hence why i don't buy from auctions :^)

Depends if he need the money or not, one collector i knew personally destroyed every fake he received.
>>
>>33047414
Some people have lives and families, we can't all live alone/at home with very few outgoings.
>>
>>33049719
It's more costly to live alone then with a partner desu
>>
>>33049738
I meant living alone as in not having a family (i.e. kids) you are correct though, apologies for the slip up.
>>
>>33049628
Well I go to auctions every now and then. Got a beautiful wooden chest for $10, sanded and waxed it then sold it for about $230. Can't complain. It's a real gamble though.
>>
>>33047338

It was advertised as 'style' - you're a dumb cunt for buying it. Deal with it.
>>
>>33047573
>Hurr T&D
That doesn't make it binding
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.