[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im curious what you guys think about firearm rights being restored

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: PSA-AR10.jpg (180KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PSA-AR10.jpg
180KB, 1600x1200px
Im curious what you guys think about firearm rights being restored after a criminal has been "rehabilitated" or after someone has been involuntarily held at a mental health facility(my state it allows folks to own again after 5 years for a 5150 hold.)

Just general thoughts on it.
I was involuntarily held when I was 13 because i was a brat who had weak parents who didnt want to discipline me(i got angry and punched some holes in the wall so my folks called the police.) I was a little shit.
I went to buy a cheap marlin .22 rifle at 18 and was denied. Now 25 i was denied again for the same thing. I have to officially appeal it. Now, I have no mental health issues & Have a stable career in a trade, and live on my own, etc etc. Should I be able to own? I've been around firearms with friends and family such as uncles going out shooting at least once a month for most my life so I at least understand firearm safety and all that jazz.

My father recently started buying firearms by the boatload. He hasnt owned since his military days so this is why im curious. I want to shoot with my pops but with my own gear.
Pic related: PSA AR10 i have my eyes on.

TLDR what do you think about people who are disenfranchised from owning firearms and having their rights restored?
>>
>>33046453

If you failed at 18 why did you try again at 25? It doesn't just go away on its own.

btw private sale
>>
That sucks. When I was 18 I was involuntarily sent to a mental hospital on a 48hr lock up, (wanted to an hero), at 22 bought a nugget with no problem with a background check and everything.
>>
>>33046453
Personally I don't think any violent felon should have their gun rights back no matter how long they've been a good boy
Crazies.. Eh depends on the circumstances
If a 8 year old boy was institutionalized because he doodled a gun in his notebook at school and the entire school went into lockdown and the kid was thrown in a loony bin because they think he's some crazy psychopathic monster
Yeah he can own guns
If some teenager cut up and ate his family because his pet parrot told him to and instead of getting the chair he got 20 years of therapy and happy pills
No, no guns for him
>inb4 SHALL
>>
>>33046482
Why would they release a felon of any crime if they thought he wasn't trustworthy enough to own firearms?
>>
>>33046453

first of all, im sorry this shit happened to you, i've been 5150'd multiple times for suicide attempts and i wouldnt be able to own guns if i was in CA again (i'm in WA now).

do you know what exact law / statute you were detained under -- was it a 5150, a 5250, or a 5585? Did you see a judge or some sort of in-hospital panel? Do you have any of the paperwork from the incident?
>>
>>33046507
they dont think he's trustworthy enough to own firearms or vote
they just cant sentence you to life in prison for assault
>>
>>33046453
also btw you can consider finding a psychiatrist and/or lawyer who's cool with gats and demonstrating that you're ok and functional and not suicidal or anything, it might be useful for the appeal.
>>
>>33046512
http://www.calhospital.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/5150_making_it_work_2up.pdf has some stuff about 5150's and other psychiatric hold laws in CA and how they interact with gun laws.
>>
>>33046512
>first of all, im sorry this shit happened to you, i've been 5150'd multiple times for suicide attempts and i wouldnt be able to own guns if i was in CA again (i'm in WA now).

stay away from guns you fuckup
>>
File: prettyherogirl.jpg (103KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
prettyherogirl.jpg
103KB, 630x630px
>declared mentally incompetent
>wants guns back

no
>>
>>33046507
I used to think the same way, but then came to the conclusion that life in prison for something undeserving of such a sentence could be construed as cruel and unusual.
>>
>>33046630

i haven't attempted in years and i didn't even touch a gun until i hadn't attempted in 3 years. I don't even have physical access to guns when i'm not at the range (friend keeps them in his safe and we're both fine with him not letting me have access to them if he deems it a bad idea).

If i ever become close to attempting suicide again i'm selling everything and never touching a gun ever again.
>>
>>33046672
>i haven't attempted in years

dont' care

stay away from guns you useless fuck
>>
>>33046672
use an exit bag already your faggot
>>
>>33046453
If the offense was nonviolent, I don't see how keeping guns out of the offenders hands would have reduced his likelihood of committing said offense, or made anyone safer. Nonviolent offenders by their nature don't use guns. Violent offenders, however, deserve to have their rights rescinded, and shouldn't be eligible for automatic restoration of those rights.

Regarding mental health and guns, I firmly believe it to be a case-by-case basis, largely because mental illnesses themselves are very dynamic, and manifest differently in different people. Also, we tend to over-diagnose and over-prescribe in this country, so I tend to be skeptical of most claims of mental illness, particularly from teenagers. Weak/poor parenting is usually the culprit there.
>>
>>33046640
>filename
>pretty
I could plow a field for this year's crops with that chin
>>
>>33046453
Depends on the crime, number of offenses and their mental condition. Even with Republicans having majority control, I'm not for putting my rights on the line by letting fuck ups have theirs back.
>>
>>33046695

also it's possible for people (especially in cases of shitty parenting) to mellow down, get much less impulsive, and age out of the crazy as they reach their late 20s, especially if they've taken decent effort to apply themselves and get appropriate therapy.

Not to say that there aren't cases of insanity that should never be allowed near guns, but it's not uncommon for people with mental illnesses that are significantly affected by the environment (and aren't entirely inherent to them) to manage to unfuck their lives and recover from the crazy.
>>
>>33046453
I think all crims that have served their sentence (including probation) should have all their rights restored and guys like you who were involuntarily committed as youths should be able to go throw a relatively simple appeals process to show that you're not a threat to society just because you have a temper tantrum when your mom brought you whole milk instead of skim. Alternatively, I think that repeat felons should have to be subjected to life long probationary periods or stiffer sentances.

The idea that people are "once a felon always a felon" and limiting their rights after time served just seems silly to me. If this citizen hasn't been shown the error of their criminal ways and a willingness to change, then why are we letting them out back into society in the first place?
>>
>>33046771

I think for mental health stuff there should be a significant (at least a year or two) probationary period where if you don't get involuntarily committed, don't get convicted of anything, and see a psychiatrist and get appropriate treatment, you should be able to get your gun rights back.
>>
Should someone lose their ability to assemble or have free speech after they commit a crime related to the first amendment? Should someone lose their 13th amendment rights after the commit a work related crime? Just really tryna make you think.
>>
>>33046453
It depends. If people can go long enough without incident and prove they are being treated, then fuck it. Their mental illness doesn't seem to be impacting their decisions in a way that would make them dangerous, so why infringe their rights? As for criminals, only those guilty of VIOLENT crimes like armed robbery, rape, murder in the first or what have you should be b& from owning funs in the first place, and even they should be allowed to have guns again after a length of time without incident proportional to their offense(s).
>>
>>33046468
its actually supposed to go away "on its own."
It's 5 years.
>>
>>33046640
Where was I declared "mentally incompetent"
5150 is simply detaining someone because they feel that temporarily they are a threat to themselves or others without there being any actual act of violence or incompetence. Its just an evaluation. They just add the firearm removal as its a liability. Try harder.
>>
>>33046681
I'd bet you work at a pizza joint at 30 and think he is useless cause he talks about his feelings while you dont.
>>
File: 1486492714434.png (620KB, 672x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486492714434.png
620KB, 672x720px
Once a criminal always a criminal
>>
>>33046845
>Where was I declared "mentally incompetent"
>5150 is simply detaining someone because they feel that temporarily they are a threat to themselves or others without there being any actual act of violence or incompetence. Its just an evaluation. They just add the firearm removal as its a liability. Try harder.

try harder to kill yourself next time you failure

>i was just declared a threat to myself because I'm a little bitch and held against my will in a psych ward

no guns for you
>>
File: 1356478420340.jpg (67KB, 629x540px) Image search: [Google]
1356478420340.jpg
67KB, 629x540px
>>33046855
>I'd bet you work at a pizza joint at 30 and think he is useless cause he talks about his feelings while you dont.

where the hell do you get pizza from that guy trying to kill himself lol
>>
>>33046711
Audible kek
>>
>>33046923
aint the guy im saying likes the pizza job.
>>
>>33046507
You must not have had the experience of working around an ex-con.
>>
File: arg.png (82KB, 657x624px) Image search: [Google]
arg.png
82KB, 657x624px
>>33046453
The American government should not be in the business of deciding who may or may not own firearms, it is a conflict of interest.
>>
>>33046923
I would hate fuck that bitch so hard that kid would associate the animalistic noises to that game and never touch it again
>>
File: 1357014815234.gif (2MB, 230x160px) Image search: [Google]
1357014815234.gif
2MB, 230x160px
>>33047043
>The American government should not be in the business of deciding who may or may not own firearms, it is a conflict of interest.

lol no it's not, retarded people should not own firearms nor the severely mentally deranged or suicidal
>>
>>33047005
What do you mean?
>>
>>33047292

he means you must never have worked around an ex con
>>
>held against will twelve years ago for punching walls
>still can't own guns
why are Americans so bad at this? lmaoing at your life
>>
>>33047427

i think you mean why are we so good at this

no guns for you
>>
>>33047427

lots of people mature and unfuck themselves and aren't the shitty impulsive fuckwits they were as teens.

yeah, there's plenty of windowlickers who shouldnt be let near a knife, much less a gun, but there's plenty of people who were little shits as teens and are well-adjusted adults who I would feel OK around me with firearms.

As long as there's some proper and accessible mechanism to verify that they're actually no longer severely mentally ill nor delusional nor getting in trouble with the law or getting 5150'd and aren't likely to do impulsive dangerous actions, i'm fine with ex-crazies owning guns.
>>
>>33046453
appeals are for false denials
yours was a real denial
you need to go about getting your rights restored
hint: in most states there is no such process
>I've been around firearms with friends and family such as uncles going out shooting at least once a month for most my life
You and anyone who knew you are prohibited and let you shoot committed a felony
If you want your rights back then talk to a lawyer. It's going to be expensive, at least 10k.
>>33046453
>>33046832
nope, it's permanent
>>
>>33047093
You mean you would premature ejactulate on her thigh and apologize profusely?

>>33047351
what? That didnt clarify shit. What is it like to work around an ex-con. It sounds like he is portraying them in a positive light
>>
>>33047619
it is not permanent.
A 5150 is 5 year.
http://www.calgunlawyers.com/youre-not-crazy-the-system-is-restoring-firearm-rights-after-a-5150-hold/
>>
>>33048043
They stopped lifting it after five years. You have to file to lift the prohibition and then you can appeal the NICS denial.
>>
>>33048141

wait, what do you need to file? do you have a source for it not being lifted after five years? I haven't heard of this and am curious.
>>
>>33048141
Regardless. Dude said it was permanent. It is not
>>
>>33048336
calguns
>>33048574
it's permanent until you appeal it
>>
>>33048641

do you have a link to the calguns thread ? would be hella appreciated
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.