[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to hunting. What's the best option for a knife and other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (42KB, 600x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 600x358px
New to hunting. What's the best option for a knife and other tools needed for field dressing deer and hogs?
>>
>>33040430
You don't need anything particularly fancy, just make sure that what you get is quality steel that will properly hold an edge. Skinning and processing animals is all about the sharpness of the blade outside of technique. My father used to process animals with a small folding knife that I've inherited from him. Now in relation to that pic, you don't want serrations. Serrated knives are harder to sharpen and don't really help you all that much.

You can use a saw for the legs and acquire other quality of life stuff but really you can do about 90% of animal processing with a quality knife. They sell these bags for protecting deer from insects. If you're worried about germs get gloves. Some of the first things you'll want to do is separate and tie off the bung, crack the pelvis and remove the bladder. With that out of the way you're pretty much safe to process the rest of it. I know folks who like to save the heart and liver together, then cook it with onions. You want to check the meat and organs for any sign of illness or parasites of course. Wild hog tends to spoil faster than deer, so really speed is of the essence. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to fully field dress an animal.

Check out "Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game" by John J. Mettler JR., DVM and "Deerskins into Buckskins How to Tan with Brains, Soap or Eggs" by Matt Richards. They're both solid reads and contain hand drawn visuals.
>>
>>33040735
Thank you
>>
How much are you looking at spending?
>>
>>33040430
get high quality because meat and bone wear down the edge faster than one would expect
>>
>>33040931
I'm open to investing in a quality knife that would last.
>>
>>33040979
Small skinner, can also be great for edc is a benchmade hidden canyon. I just got mine and fuck it's awesome, can't wait to go skin a coyote here soon. The edge will last at least 2 deer maybe a third with some light sharpening. Also look at the JS nessmuk for another beast, but too large to edc imo
>>
>>33041073
Thanks for the info. Would a larger blade be easier for a novice to use as I'm learning?
>>
File: 9_533719.jpg (25KB, 435x700px) Image search: [Google]
9_533719.jpg
25KB, 435x700px
>>33040430
you didn't specify what you're hunting, but most hunting knives are either gimmicks or just general purpose utility knives. I've never understood using them when you're basically just processing meat, and knives actually used in the meat processing industry exist and are easily available.
pic somewhat related. this kit is Victorinox. I don't think it really needs both an 8" and 10" but it covers all the bases. you could also piece together a cheaper version. I recommend Dexter brand from that.
>>
>>33041151
Depends on what you're skinning, really. Will you use the knife for other tasks? What's the biggest animal you plan in hunting?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.