[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I buy the necessary armor, weapons, and clothing to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

File: Fotpzx.jpg (202KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Fotpzx.jpg
202KB, 1600x1200px
Where do I buy the necessary armor, weapons, and clothing to look like the crusader in the pic? I don't know how to tell if the stuff I find online is historically accurate or high quality. I found $30 great helms on Amazon but I'm skeptical of accuracy/quality. Also, how much am I looking at for the full set? ~$1000?
>>
>>33029746
well, aside from the fact that its pretty damn iffy as an outfit...

lets see.
going by the helm, its early 14th C, the end of the templars, right at the tail end of the crusades.

lets assume 1298, so minimal hard plate.

A properly made sword: Albion, lets say, and a scabbard - scabbard by DBK or the likes. that's about $1,500.
Shield, wouldn't be metal-edged. properly made from limewood boards, gessoed, painted, from one of the eastern european guys, probably about $500-600.

Helm. lets got for a Dargen greathelm from Jeff Hildebrandt "Royal Oak Armoury". that's about $1000CDN, so, $800ish. (see pic)
Mail, you're in luck, the indians are making surprisingly good quality 6mm riveted mail nowadays - enough that its pretty affordable.
So, a coif will be $125.
Chausses, those will be about $350-400,
And the big one there, the hauberk: that's just short of $600. You might want mitten gauntlets too, so add $200 there.

Underneath that, you've got the textiles and other clothing.
a good pair of turnshoes is essential, because there's nothing worse than bad turnshoes, trust me. LEarnt that mistake when I started reenacting. Foxblade or the likes would do, so, lets say £100, $125.
Braes in linen, they're about $30 from suppliers, and then the undershirt in linen, that's about $50, you want two because trust me, you'll sweat like a pig. so, $130 in underwear layers.
Then woolen hose, those will be about $100-120 for a reasonable pair.
And then you have your aketon or gambeson over the shirt, under the mail. That's going to set you back at least $300 for a passable one, but for comfort, I'd be looking at custom, probably the Ukrainians because they're mental but cheap, so, say $500 for that.

Now the surcoat, that's in good linen with embroidered cross, probably $200-250.
And a good belt for the mail, $100 with tooling and proper historical buckles.

Add in little details, $5,500 is a reasonable pricetag to get a decent quality basic kit of that date.
>>
File: 15048315473_2456f1c498_o.jpg (1MB, 1301x1952px) Image search: [Google]
15048315473_2456f1c498_o.jpg
1MB, 1301x1952px
here's that sort of kit put together, Same equipment, but a knight in europe at roughtly that era... helm maybe slightly later, you get some extras like aliettes and early poleyns, there too, but not a huge set of additions.
>>
File: joe-side.jpg (3MB, 2880x4320px) Image search: [Google]
joe-side.jpg
3MB, 2880x4320px
>>33029993
>early poleyns

I say, forgetting that that surcoat measn you cant even see the poelyns... and instead forgetting the greaves which you can see. duh.

Oh, and that surcoat is wool, not linen, of course. white wool's a real nightmare.
>>
I like this thread so far.
>>
File: 1473633348086.jpg (40KB, 720x694px) Image search: [Google]
1473633348086.jpg
40KB, 720x694px
>>33030066
Also, check'em
>>
File: knight1170.jpg (121KB, 715x966px) Image search: [Google]
knight1170.jpg
121KB, 715x966px
>>33030084
well, it was a good thread, till you started shitting it up with that inane crap.

now, if we go earlier, then you can miss out the greathelm, and go for an earlier style - so that will save you 200 or so. sword is still the same price, but a different style, Oakeshott X or XI type.
>>
>>33029952
He should probably include a coat of plates too.
>>
>>33029952
Not a bad price for era the equivalent of a main battle tank!
>>
File: deus_meme.jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
deus_meme.jpg
85KB, 640x480px
>>33029746
crusader great helmet
>http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-4418-crusader-great-helmet.aspx
chainmail
>https://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Chain-Mail-Shirt-Armor/dp/B00AMQPY5I
templar tabard
>http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-40701-carl-templar-tabard.aspx
crusader sword
>http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH6955R_HG&name=12th+Century+Holy+Land+Crusader+Sword+with+Integrated+Sword+Belt
shield
>https://www.medievalarmour.com/p-4045-wooden-red-cross-kite-shield.aspx
>>
>>33030131
Notice a pretty nice beard with that chain. Wouldn't the chain get tangled and caught on the beard? Do they have something in there to keep their beard from getting caught in the chain or did they just suck it up in if it happened?
>>
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what are you planning on doing with all that anon?
>>
>>33030215
Notice that the beard doesn't get in direct contact with the mail, there's a layer of leather there.
>>
>>33030235
obviously he's going to be a dank memer.
>>
>>33030235
Something something deus something something vult.
>>
File: jeff-h-dargen01.jpg (38KB, 570x855px) Image search: [Google]
jeff-h-dargen01.jpg
38KB, 570x855px
>>33030215
that early mail bevor / faceguard has a sewn-in liner.

you dont want bare rings on skin in case of any impact at all, after all.

>>33030207
>crusader great helmet
>http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-4418-crusader-great-helmet.aspx

Scrap metal. Pakistani-made crap thats not even capable of fitting a normal human head, yet alone protecting it.
the armour equivalent of a zip gun made out of brake pipe...

>https://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Chain-Mail-Shirt-Armor/dp/B00AMQPY5I
Butted, zinc-plated.
Scrap.
Will fall apart if you walk around it, as butted links aren't joined together.

>http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-40701-carl-templar-tabard.aspx
they cant even get the templar cross right.
Cut and construction are absolutely nothing connected to historical clothing.

>http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH6955R_HG&name=12th+Century+Holy+Land+Crusader+Sword+with+Integrated+Sword+Belt
barely even a wallhangar. Utter shit. Made by "john barnett" swords, notorious for screw-pommel construction, and castings so cheap they break if you drop them from 3 foot onto carpet.

>https://www.medievalarmour.com/p-4045-wooden-red-cross-kite-shield.aspx

I have no words to begin to sum up how utterly shit that is.
Aside from the fact its a style of shield from 1/4 of a milennium earlier, its a completely un-profiled board of plywood.

Not one item you've listed is even close to acceptable quality. its shit for people with no clue what they're doing to waste money on.
>>
File: Leiden-vanbrace-repro.jpg (101KB, 468x352px) Image search: [Google]
Leiden-vanbrace-repro.jpg
101KB, 468x352px
>>33030149
>He should probably include a coat of plates too.

I agree - but I was working on a budget and assuming that those, early poleyn, and couter, plus a set of Leiden vanbraces would be a bit daunting. $5K is enough to start. Add in a CoP by say, ASH, or maybe the Ukrainians, in 0.8mm HT'd carbon steel, some poleyns with good strapping, and leiden bracers in proper hide... that's another 2K at least.
>>
>>33030149
and shipping
>>
File: Joe -COP.jpg (2MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Joe -COP.jpg
2MB, 2048x1365px
>>33030426
To return to the same guy whose photos I used earlier for kit, because he's probably got the best in the US to use as a benchmark, that would be a decent vegetan leather covered St Maurice style coat of plates like this one, hidden away when the surcoat is put on over it.
>>
File: greenleaf-14thC.jpg (154KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
greenleaf-14thC.jpg
154KB, 960x720px
>>33030469
I factored shipping in for the bits from Canada, the Ukraine and India while totting all that up.

(plus I'm being generous in estimates for some bits. some shopping round the Czechs and Poles, and you could probably save $1000 and still have almost the same level of accuracy.

and you could go a LOT more expensive if you push the target date forward by just a few years.... then you add stuff like these:
>>
>>33030243
No actually, I completely missed that.

>>33030379
>no bare rings on skin in case of impact
More in-depth explanation please? I'm figuring the idea was that you had some padding so when something hit the chain, the padding would soften the blow a little bit. I just don't see it (the padding) having much effect.
>>
>>33030662
the textile padding will spread the force a little, but mostly its if you ware hit with anything harder than a mild whack, a split lip or a broken jaw's bad, but oily steel rings that have been where you breathe, and thus, likely covered in condensation and thus, rust, and therefore, tetanus-covered iron, being driven into your flesh, in an age before antibiotics or the likes?

well, I'd rather not...
>>
>>33030704
I should clarify now, I was questioning the practicality behind padding in general, not just for the face. That said:

>rust
I question that heavily. I can guarantee that people have known about rust and have done their best to keep it to a minimum for millennia. I also question the assumption that rust = tetanus. That said, I also don't know a ton about tetanus.

desu, I don't think there was a protection derived reason for padding. I bet it was simply there so you didn't have metal directly against your skin. If your armor is cold, it'll make you cold. If it's hot as fuck, then it'll be very uncomfortable to put on. I think padding was mostly there for comfort. Now this isn't as bad as it sounds. For example, one of the things that they strive for with modern body armor is comfort without compromising protection. This is actually good as comfortable body armor usually allows greater freedom of movement. I can attest to this personally having used four different body armor systems (vietnam era flak, interceptor vest, ITV, and I-OTV). I would love any source that disproves this thought. I'd like to learn more about medieval body armor.
>>
>>33031113
ok, rust on the larger area of armour isnt an issue.
rust on areas that are humid is.
I used to do a hauberk, and I've used valsgarde style helms with mail aventails. in both casess, face and armpit will end up with the armour there being more prone to rust than the rest of the armour. that's not to say they'll be rustier than a 1970's Alfa Romeo, but they will end up having a layer of red rust.

rust itself isnt a tetanus carrier, but its the sort of non-septic environment where bacteria can flourish.

as for bare skin, any impact will drive links into the flesh. points will go through fairly easily - arrows, or weapons, and they wont go right through but you will get it an inch deep. there are multiple reasons like that which are why mail was worn over layers of protective clothing, not just in europe, but worldwide wherever it was used.
>>
>>33031218
Alright, that sounds logical. Do you have sources? It'd be great to read up some more on it.
>>
>>33030181
According to an inflation calculator, $5500 in 1966 dollars (that was as far back as it goes) is equivalent to $69,539.13 in 2016 dollars.

I don't think it's unreasonable that $5500 in 1298 dollars would be inflated to roughly the value of an MBT in 2017 dollars.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.