[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the biggest round I can push through a handgun for casual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 16

File: Deagle.jpg (21KB, 390x226px) Image search: [Google]
Deagle.jpg
21KB, 390x226px
What is the biggest round I can push through a handgun for casual fun/home defense? the first thing that comes to mind is a .50 AE, but can I viably get bigger than that at a reasonable price?
>>
>>33020340
500S&W is literally the biggest you can go without getting into some obscure bullshit caliber where only 12 rounds of it produced a year by virgin bullet monks in a monastery in Tibet.

That said, it's a retarded choice for home defense unless you have an absolutely microscopic penis.
>>
>>33020383
And you don't value your hearing.
>>
File: 700 gr - 3-s.jpg (52KB, 384x371px) Image search: [Google]
700 gr - 3-s.jpg
52KB, 384x371px
I prefer the Deagle in terms of ridiculous handguns, but the S&W 500 has it beat. It should be close to the same price if not cheaper and those 700 grain rounds are nothing to laugh it.
>>
File: IMG_6042[1].jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6042[1].jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33020340
Generally speaking, 500 magnum is the largest handgun caliber. Ammo cost up to $3.50 a round for factory stuff or as low as 18 cents a round if you cast your own boolits and reload your own ammo. I love shooting mine. I dont usually shoot much more than 50 rounds a range trip, it does have a bit of recoil.
>>
>>33020340
A .454 revolver is affordable and packs more punch than .50 African eliminator.

A buddy of mine had a .454 super Redhawk.
Sweet gun
Kicks incredibly hard.
Then it was stolen by Mexicans.
>>
>>33020383
not fun to shoot in my opinion
just another revolver nothing new to add to the platform

the deagel on the other hand is unique with its fixed barrel and interchangeable caliber sizes

but if your preference is revolvers than by all means get the 500s&w
>>
>>33020340
Honestly if you want something that's reasonably affordable to practice/good for home defense/controllable your best bet is something like 10mm or .357 magnum if size is your only consideration. 44mag and .50ae while controllable in a desert eagle are not that controllable in a high stress situation where shot placement counts more than anything.
>>
File: deagle-deagle.gif (55KB, 587x346px) Image search: [Google]
deagle-deagle.gif
55KB, 587x346px
>>33020340
Honestly I can't think of a way that .50AE would benefit you for defense against people, it's more of a hunting or metallic silhouette cartridge.

.44 Magnum already packs a fat wallop and especially so when you consider the Desert Eagle doesn't leak out gas from the side like a revolver does. Recoil is also really light in a .44 Deagle, it's like shooting a 1911. Just don't teacup it or the magazine will have a fit.
This can all work, but you're certainly not making the best choice for HD, electric hearing protection and a mounted light is pretty much mandatory.

It'll be loud as everloving fuck indoors, and you'll have to contend with the fact that the Deagle is finicky, a picky eater, and you basically are limited to FMJ and fully jacketed hollowpoints, both hotly loaded, your Deagle will hate you if you feed it MagTech, that shit is weak and dirty (you'll have to clean the gun pretty frequently at any rate).

Coming to think of it, I think a lot of the Deagle's reliability questions could be solvable with an adjustable gasblock, even if just a limited click-adjustable one. The Wildey had that going for it, and it makes a lot of sense considering the cartridges it chambered basically necessitated you to be a handloader.
>>
File: trump wall.jpg (280KB, 1260x1590px) Image search: [Google]
trump wall.jpg
280KB, 1260x1590px
>>33020514

If only we had that wall this crisis may never have come to pass.
>>
>>33020446
>I'm going to give you an inch and a half and make it hurt. >:3
>>
>>33020618
I was gonna say "He doesn't need a wall, he has a gun!" but they stole that gun.

Shit.
>>
>>33020383
>virgin bullet monks in a monastery
now that's some quality worldbuilding shit right there
>>
>>33020618

>implying we won't tunnel under it

stay mad, gringo
>>
>>33020672
Give anon's friend's gun back!
>>
File: Trump you are already dead.jpg (350KB, 722x518px) Image search: [Google]
Trump you are already dead.jpg
350KB, 722x518px
>>33020672

We're getting that gun, Paco.
>>
File: Grimm Eagle.jpg (576KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Grimm Eagle.jpg
576KB, 2448x3264px
>>33020604
Amen to that. That's my biggest beef with my .44 DE. I have to violate nearly every safe reloading practice in order to load rounds for the damn thing. If I seat bullets to the recommended OAL in my Lyman and Lee manuels? Good luck fitting them in the magazine!

Powder charge? Better max that sucker if you want it to cycle properly.

There's always this little voice at the back of my head when I'm prepping loads for this thing saying how one of these days I'm going to blow up gun/hand using it I swear.
>>
>>33020741
>.44 DE

Serious question: Why? I've always kind of liked the DE, but it seems like the point of the gun is the cartridge. Getting it in anything AE seems like missing the point.
>>
File: Desert Eagle and Seecamp.jpg (1MB, 2192x1390px) Image search: [Google]
Desert Eagle and Seecamp.jpg
1MB, 2192x1390px
>>33020741

I was worried my .357 Desert Eagle would be a nonstop jam machine. Luckily it has been perfect. I just use the cheap PMC 158gr soft points and it functions flawlessly. Best $425 I ever spent.
>>
>>33020775
Mainly got it at a discount. Buddy sold to me at 900 because he was buying a house and needed to move it quick. Got 4 mags in the deal and I ended up getting it cerakoted and a muzzle brake installed too.
>>
>>33020790
Very nice, I have heard better performance for the .50 and the .357 variants just because the AE was designed around the DE from the ground up and the 357 has more load variety that it plays nice with.

For me I've ultimately settled on 240gr FMJs with 23.5gr of either H110 or Winchester 296. Both of those seem to work pretty well.
>>
File: Desert Eagles and Ammunition.jpg (1MB, 1765x1326px) Image search: [Google]
Desert Eagles and Ammunition.jpg
1MB, 1765x1326px
>>33020775

The .50AE is fun but costly. Even as a reloader it can be difficult to get components. .357 and .44 Deagles are more practical.
>>
>>33020820
probably because they are literally the exact powder from the exact same spigot. The label is the only difference. After hodgdon labels and fills enough cans of W296, they throw in H110 labels to finish out the batch of powder.
>>
>>33020618
fuck drumph and fuck white people
>>
>>33020853
Huh, learn something new every day. I always wondered why they recommended the same charge in the reloading manuals.
>>
>>33020834
Practicality seems like something you've already decided against if you're buying a deagle.
>>
>>33020953
HP-38 and W296 are also the exact same thing.

There was a thread on a forum where someone had two bottles of each, both had the same exact lot number as well as a very specific defect on one of the numbers in the lot making it clear that they literally just threw in a new batch of labels to switch loading new cans of powder.

There are various letters from hodgdon you can look up to confirm this as well as calling them. They will outright tell you it is all the same.

H110=W296
Hp38=W231
>>
File: Chuck Mangione Desert Eagles.jpg (770KB, 2246x1414px) Image search: [Google]
Chuck Mangione Desert Eagles.jpg
770KB, 2246x1414px
>>33020820

My .50AE likes full tilt H110 loads. Anything less and it stumbles occasionally.
>>
>>33021042
ERROR- I meant to say HP38 and WIN231 are the same.
>>
>>33021042
Very good to know. The price seems to favor Hodgdon powders where I live, only downside they also sell out faster for the non-shotgun related stuff. Plus H110 is now an apparently favorable powder for reloading .300 blackout so that one tends to disappear quick at my powder store.
>>
File: Double Deagles.jpg (2MB, 2286x1381px) Image search: [Google]
Double Deagles.jpg
2MB, 2286x1381px
>>33021030

I only have $1125 total invested in both of my Deagles. They were cheap enough that I would have been stupid not to buy them. They are laser accurate and recoil is very manageable, especially so from the .357 Mag.
>>
File: deagle locking.webm (843KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
deagle locking.webm
843KB, 640x480px
>>33020741
Honestly, the gun is built and locks up like a bank-vault, even if it fails catastrophically I think your chances of avoiding injury are pretty good, I don't think I've ever seen a Deagle which went kablooey, nor even heard anyone talk about it jokingly.

Have you considered picking up some soft-point bullets and trying to shorten them down? Seems like a chore but maybe it could work.

>>33020775
A few reasons.

For one, handling, the .44 is actually pretty easy to shoot, compare it to the .50 which actually kicks a fair bit. Then there's the .357 which is like shooting 9mm Luger, on top of featuring a 9rd magazine. You also already get quite a lot of power from these two when compared to a revolver, and if you're a handgun hunter, these can be more suitable for .50 depending on your game.

The other big reason is cost, .50AE isn't plentiful on the shelves and it's pretty expensive to shoot, handloading solves this somewhat but you're quite limited in your choice of more expensive projectiles, and brass isn't going to be inexpensive. If you handload for .50, you're still not shooting too cheap.

Meanwhile, .357 and .44 both have readily available brass, as well as readily available ranges of projectiles at quite reasonable cost (mind jacketing though). If you handload for .357 or .44, you can actually shoot your Desert Eagle for pretty agreeable prices, and being able to shoot a really fun gun at a lower cost is always appealing.
On the other hand, a lot of off the shelf .357 and .44 ammo just isn't very suitable for the Deagle, a lot of the low cost target ammo isn't powerful enough for reliable cycling, and really cheap garbage like MagTech is almost like shooting blackpowder, not good for a gun that needs lots of cleaning.

I guess on the whole, the best way to enjoy a Deagle is really if you handload.
>>
>>33021080
>They are laser accurate
This is something a lot of people don't ever consider, they group tight as all fuck.

>soft recoil
>super thick fixed barrel
>multiple radial locking lugs

You can seriously put holes in holes with a gun like this.
>>
>>33021128
So far what worked for me was buying a box of the recommended ammo that Magnum Research recommended, measuring the OALs of those bullets and matching them to my handloads. So far it's working ok. I've been mainly using xtreme's 240gr Plated Round Nose bullets, those appear to feed better than Berry's Plated flat nosed TMJs.
>>
>>33021070
H110/w296 is a great powder for 300blk, I have good luck with it from 150gr to 230gr from my ar pistol. I have finally gotten down to just two powders for all my loading. W231 and W296 to load 380, 9, 40, 45, 38spl, 357 mag, 300blk, 500 mag.
>>
>>33021224
Awesome. Yeah I'm trying to limit the number of powders I use myself. I'm down to Ramshot Tac for my .223, Ramshot Hunter for my 30.06, Varget for my .308 and W296 for my .44. Hopefully I can look up some loads for Tac for my .308, I've heard supposedly good things about it with lighter 308 bullets.
>>
>>33020604
This guy is right about the recoil. I fired the .44 and was UTTERLY surprised by how manageable the recoil was.
That being said, if this is for defensive use against humans, save yourself a few hundred and get the .357 version.
>>
Man, a Deagle was pretty far down on my wishlist until now. I figured even the 44mag would be a pain to shoot and had never heard about their accuracy before. I thought they were bought more for the cool factor or guys that wanted the 'powah!' in a range gun.
>>
>>33021080
>>33021044
I really like that beige ivory coloring, looks fantastic.
>>
Shot show this year showed a 50 BMG pistol, it might be one shot at a time though
>>
File: tmp_9742-churchgun-206571006.png (202KB, 414x286px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9742-churchgun-206571006.png
202KB, 414x286px
>>33020383
>>
>>33020383
>>
>>33021603
They are limited in their scope, and they have their issues/points of concern, but there's a reason the Desert Eagle exists today, and why the AMT Auto Mag, AMC Automag, Wildey, and the like, don't.

Gas operation is really the ideal way to go for anything north of .357 Magnum, and while the Wildey got that part right (with the utility of an adjustable gasport), it was all chambered in specialized rimless Magnum cartridges.

The fact that the Deagle uses common revolver cartridges probably did a shitton for it's market appeal, looking at .44AMP, that was a slow, inefficient death. It does the same thing as the .44 Magnum, but it's an all new cartridge. To save on production costs, .308 cases would be cut down and converted, but this wasn't always done with the best quality control and precision, so quite a lot of commercial .44AMP ammunition had small variations in case length. Not good for reliability.

As mentioned, the AMC guns would batter themselves pretty badly, and the AMT ones especially, on top of kind of harsh recoil. Meanwhile the Deagle is pretty stout, and is quite soft shooting.
>>
>>33020340
The answer is .45-70
>>
File: mLuN3sx.jpg (62KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
mLuN3sx.jpg
62KB, 720x960px
I've been coming here for like 10 years and this might be the most civil Deagle thread I've ever seen.
>>
>>33020340
If you want to get to that tier, a handgun is not really what you're looking for anymore.
Either a SBR or a shotty.

But seriously nigger, get a 10mm pistol, there isn't a single dindu that can survive a 10mm magdump in the chest, you don't need more than that until humans evolve to have an AR500 ribcage.
>>
>>33025072
Reminder that there's people who have killed themselves after four consecutive tries with buckshot.

You'd be fucking surprised at what a human can sometimes survive.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.