[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a /k/ related question I plan to go into law enforcement,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: prisontowerpost.jpg (251KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
prisontowerpost.jpg
251KB, 2400x1800px
I have a /k/ related question

I plan to go into law enforcement, but if that doesn't work out the way I'm planning I'll probably try to work in the federal prison system.

How are posts assigned in federal prisons?
If you want a specific post, like the guard towers where they're armed with a rifle, do you request to be posted there?

Is it a good idea or too try hard mode to list firearms experience in a resume if you want an armed post?
Like "Served x years in x branch, received x hours of training with x weapon platform" or "Certified in x in which I received x hours of training with x weapon system."
>>
Go to /b/. Download some jail/b/ait. Go to federal prison. See what jobs they have for prisoners (besides bending over to pick up the soap). ??????????? PROFIT11111!11!11 You now work in a federal prison.
>>
>>33019250
No not as a prisoner, as a CO
I'm not a filthy pedo criminal gang member
>>
>>33019113
State Prison CO here. Feds is mostly the same.

>everybody starts out as a booth bitch
>stand out and show interest in desired job
>apply when position opens

>towers are for lazy CO's except Sallyport tower
>Towers NEVER use their weapons
>firearms experience is nice but a college degree (required for federal) stands out
>smart and calm and dependable is 1000x better than "I can shoot good" because 99.99 percent of your job is communicating and babysitting inmates. (The other .01% is non-lethal force.)
>CO's almost never use their lethals unless in an actual escape attempt or hostage situation that the negotiators fail during
>most CO's don't use lethals even in escape attempts
>K-9 is the most rewarding job and is the easiest transition to LE if they don't take you before Corrections does
>>
>>33019432
Id like to add that Corrections Officers ARE law enforcement just are not police. The police enforce the law. The judge determines the punishment. CO's carry out the punishment while upholding the offenders rights (no cruel and unusual shit). Almost all get LE benefits and most get LEOSA coverage. Your not a "guard" and if you stay in Corrections will do a job most people could never do. Also, it's easier to get promoted in Corrections than in a police agency. And you get the same training if you want. Prisons have SWAT teams, Riot Control, K-9, Mantrackers, Hostage Negotiators, Snipers...pretty much everything Police have CO's have but it's easier to get into than police equivalents unless you have a super niche job aspiration like "State Police Diver".

And try putting "Hostage Negotiator" or "K-9 Officer" or "Tactical Unit Team Leader" on an application to a Sheriffs dept. and see what happens. They'll be begging for you to transfer.
>>
>>33019588
Not OP, but thanks for the info. I have a BS in CJ, but couldn't find a job that would work for me as a narcoleptic.
I went to an orientation for a CO position only to find out the detention center was also a prison and it was direct supervision. Direct supervision is just asking for a heart attack. Literally, looked up the fatalities for CO's in GA and I believe most were from heart attacks. I interned at a State Probation and Parole Office in AL, but they spent so much time doing PSI's they barely have time to actually supervise. Still, it didn't seem like too bad a job.
>>
>>33019758
Most CO's die within 6-12 months of retiring from...heart failure.

I have to be perfectly honest though and say most CO's that stay CO's, meaning that don't transfer to Probation/Counselor/Intel/Warden type jobs are fat and over stressed. They usually have job security working as a CO and can do the job despite their weight/health so they stay even while never being thought of for a promotion. That's not bad per se if you separate yourself from the "I have job security with state benefits" crowd and go into the "I want to be here and want to be the best officer here" crowd. You'll stand out and move up faster.

And having a medical condition like narcolepsy is touchey. They aren't supposed to discriminate but you can't be falling asleep at your job. Certain short-staffed facilities can probably compensate and will hire you but you will only get certain posts assigned.
>>
>>33019758
>narcoleptic prison guards

Go for it, this ties in nicely with my goal of becoming a repeat offender.
>>
>>33019859
Yeah, working weird hours isn't possible for me and I'm still not sure how my body would react in a life or death situation with my current medication. Cataplexy usually isn't a problem now unless I'm physically tired at the end of the day.

Any jobs within the Police Dept or court system you think would be good. I can drive, just not long distances or at certain times during the day. If I'm on a regular schedule and can stop to rest once during the day I'm good.
I'm working PT retail now at a sporting goods store and my wife is the one working full time. I really want a full time job I could support us both with though.
What is sad is I wasaking more money during the summers in highschool and college mowing lawns and doing odd jobs than I am now that I have a 'real job' and am married with a kid at 27.
>>
>>33019946
Yeah, that is why I didn't pursue the CO job. You need to be alert if they are going to lock you in a shared space with 70+ convicts to babysit and no weapon to protect yourself with.
>>
>>33020061
>counselor at prison
>Teacher at a prison
>CO at a prison that will work to accommodate you

I don't know much about police/public LE but high-risk jobs aren't your thing. You might be able to do low-risk jobs. If you find a severely short staffed facility they can't discriminate. You'll likely be given special attention and assigned to shake down or sallyport or supply or some other non-dangerous post and given special protocols for when you go to sleep. I'd honestly just find a local facility and ask if they can accommodate. If you have something they want (a college degree and no criminal history or major debt) you'll likely be hired. But be aware once hired you can still be assigned to the booth or floor so long as the watch commander believes you can perform the job safely. My advice is to apply to a short staffed low security facility where if you DO go to sleep in a situation you may have inmates come help you. The alternative is also true though. A supermax facility means you will always move inmates with a partner and no groups of inmates will be out at one time to jump you if you go to sleep. I'd recommend low security or supermax NOT anything in between.
>>
>>33020103
>no weapon

Officers have non-lethals Cletus. And lethals are available in emergencies.

>babysit 70 inmates

It's 80-90 if your the booth Officer with no floor officer. But a click of a button or saying "Inmate on staff! Inmate has a shank" on the radio and 20+ of the most hardcore officers and k-9's will haul ass to your location to fuck shit up.
>>
>>33020174
Yeah, the lower risk was part of why I was interested in Parole Officer or youth Probation Officer. I think the people they hire now are usually going to have actual experience in a LEO position though.
A CJ degree wasn't the smartest choice for me, but I've always been interested in LE. My father was a cop for over 20 years. I wouldn't mind taking a bottom rung position and working my way up, but those are usually the jobs that would be the hardest on me.
Ex: New cops start out on the graveyard shift. COs are expected to be available for any shift they are needed. A state or federal job would probably require more travelling than I could safely do.
>>
>>33020389
>Dispatcher
>Counselor
>Forensics
>Secretary

And some have LE experience. Most don't.
>>
>>33020231
I would kill to only have to deal with 80-90 inmates. We're so short staffed that one officer is running 2 dorms by themselves. (dorms are connected by the control room) COs don't even get to carry OC spray, only the supervisors do. No stab vests or batons or anything for us. Dealing with 200 closed / medium security females sucks.
>>
>heart attacks

Why is this?
Stress?
Sleep deprivation?

I figure most COs work 10/12/14's instead of 8's so it would make sense, especially in a high stress environment.
>>
>>33020605
>high stress
>long hours
>stress eating

>>33020513
>working in a female facility
>being so short staffed both pods have no floor officer

Christ. You must hate yourself.
>>
File: Khorne_banner.png (811KB, 600x666px) Image search: [Google]
Khorne_banner.png
811KB, 600x666px
>>33020892
I am the control room officer and floor officer for both dorms.

They're all starting their cycles. Save me, /k/
>>
>>33020513
Yeah, that was why I put the '+' in an earlier post. I think at the orientation they said something like 60-100 per dorm. When asked about carrying a gun, mace, etc. when locked in the dorm the officer speaking to us said something like, "you get a radio".
My Dad worked as a cop during a rough period and he really didn't want me to take the job.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.