[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm doing some homebrew stuff for a Dark Heresy/Only War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: proxy[1].jpg (231KB, 580x390px) Image search: [Google]
proxy[1].jpg
231KB, 580x390px
I'm doing some homebrew stuff for a Dark Heresy/Only War game, and I'm putting in a lightweight 60mm "Commando" mortar as an option for some spooky Imperial spec ops games.

Me being me, I put way too much thought into details that the players won't give a damn about. Such as whether or not the thing is rifled.

I see examples of both smoothbore and rifled mortars in modern-day weapons. Why pick one over the other?
>>
File: 48865a2.jpg (127KB, 1600x836px) Image search: [Google]
48865a2.jpg
127KB, 1600x836px
>>33014058
A smoothbore mortar is naturally easier to manifacture, but in turn requires more complicated bombs, while a rifled mortar allows for smaller bombs, without fins to stabilize it. The latter is altogether a good idea, if you want the bombs to be multipurpose and easy to carry - something suitable for a "Commando" mortar.
>>
>>33014058
Here's some homebrew from /tg/ for drop trooper regiments, with a knee mortar.
>/k/ doesn't accept pdfs anymore
wtf hiroshimoot.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7lmuruwxw2huetv/airborne_40k_-_v0.3.pdf
>>
>>33015078
>tfw anon went with my suggestion and statted a knee mortar
>>
>>33014058
I am still being salty that our GM won't allow me to roll an ork. Heck, a Blood Axe yoof. There's even sanctioned imperial boarding party leader - an ork - in the fluff. Salt!

Anyway, according to IA8, there's even pre-loaded 5round drum fed mortars (how?) and grenade launchers that eat regular handgranades. Just a bit of lore that might help you in setting up.
>>
>>33016734
>pre-loaded 5round drum fed mortars (how?)
A revolver at the muzzle of the tube holding the round in place until ignition where it gets dropped down. I dont really see the point since you are definetly faster just loading one after another instead of firing all five and then have a big break to reload the cylinde.
>>
>>33016734
sounds like a tyrant gm.
>>
>>33018226
>>33016734
The 5shot mortars are most commonly used by drop regiments and are designed to be used with a vox trigger mechanism. You can set up the mortar and then radio fire it without needing someone there to load.

Great for ambushes and pre-zeroed fire support when you are undermanned.
>>
I think I read you can use commando mortars in direct fire if you plant them on walls
>>
File: kneemortarwrongway3.jpg (148KB, 600x1018px) Image search: [Google]
kneemortarwrongway3.jpg
148KB, 600x1018px
>>33016620
>Designed to be braced against a log, tree trunk, or the ground, this odd-shaped base plate helped give the Type 89 its deceptive nickname.

>For whatever reason, Allied soldiers dubbed the weapon the “knee mortar” and some even tried to fire the Type 89 with the base plate braced against the thigh. The 1943 U.S. Army manual on Japanese weapons reported that a Marine on Guadalcanal attempted to fire a knee mortar in such a fashion and the recoil had broken his thigh bone.

neat
>>
>>33018520
Sneaky japs using such underhanded tactics as giving uneducated yank volunteers with shit for brains wrong impressions.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.