[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just ordered a reproduction m1913 cavalry saber from Therion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: therionarms_c1292a.jpg (85KB, 650x187px) Image search: [Google]
therionarms_c1292a.jpg
85KB, 650x187px
So I just ordered a reproduction m1913 cavalry saber from Therion Arms for $170.
I somehow cannot physically allow myself to retain more than half my paycheck. Did I fuck up?
Also military sword thread. Nobody talks about em'.
>>
>I somehow cannot physically allow myself to retain more than half my paycheck. Did I fuck up?

Are your very well off? Do you have plenty of investments paying well? Do you have lots of reserve cash?

Toys are fun but you can't buy yourself the life of a knight.
>>
>>33001995
I just wanted a sword to dick around with and I've always like the way the m1913 looked. I'm under no illusion that it's pretty much as useless as it's always been since decent firearms started being produced.
I'm not really well off at all. I don't have much saved up and I make minimum wage; $11 an hour.
It's a good thing I live with 3 other people so rent is cheap, but that's about all I got going for me.
>>
>Did I fuck up?

Yes. I see absolutely no reason to purchase reproductions of historical swords unless you were to compare them side by side to a really, REALLY old sword (like a 12th century sword that is falling apart and you can barely tell what it used to be) to give the viewer an idea of what it looked like in its prime.

It's really cool to collect actual antique swords with provenance behind them. It's really autistic to buy new wallhangers that serve no real purpose at all other than to show people you're a history nerd but you don't have the money to afford the real stuff.

So basically if you don't want to look like a retard you need to go buy an actual M1913 saber now
>>
>>33002040
I just bought it because it looked cool and I assume it could stand up to light use.
It was never my intention to impress people anybody with a replica sword.
The only reason I ask if I fucked up is because I'm wondering if this thing can actually hit and stab stuff without becoming a danger to myself or anything I'm not hitting.
Maybe I'll give it to my kid one day. It'd be special to them at least.
>>
>>33002085
>I assume it could stand up to light use

For what purpose? For chopping pineapples in half? You aren't a cavalryman. A sword is actually pretty shit at doing any useful task other than killing a human.

Enjoy your wallhanger, sperglord.
>>
>>33002099
I guess that much should have been obvious.
Ah well, I guess the challenge of getting $170 dollars worth of satisfaction out of it is something to look forward to.
Thank you for your thoughts.
You got any military swords that you find interesting for one reason or another?
>>
I wouldn't buy that piece of shit and I make $42/hr.

You're a retard that has poor impulse control and will thus stay poor.
>>
>>33002127
What do you do that nets you $42/hr?
I want more money to spend of bullshit.
>>
Are you going to play around with your new toy? Will you enjoy owning it? Did the purchase not ruin you financially? Then you did not fuck up. As a financial investment this wasn't optimal but you went and invested in a bit of personal happiness. Anyone able to spent 10.000 dollar on some other kind of gadget cannot claim to have done better in that area.
>>
>>33002139
Why would I tell some idiot like you that obviously has no concept of the value of a dollar?
>>
>>33002126
Yeah, I collect a lot of naval shit so I have a few cutlasses and a Nip kai-gunto.

I probably shouldn't shit on you so much for buying the sword, I came off as a dick. I do think it is a stupid purchase, and you need to work on impulse control, but it wouldn't look that bad if you got a mannequin and worked on recreating the uniform and equipment of a pre-WWI US cavalryman or something, for example. Or if you own horses yourself you could get to work on creating a little curio cabinet with neat cavalry related things.

That's why I own so many naval weapons, navigation tools, etc. I'm a sailor by trade ((((merchant))) mariner, not in the Navy), so I collect things that contribute to the history behind my field of work.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your property, if you're satisfied with it it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. And yeah your kid would probably think it's awesome, just don't let him hurt himself with it. It isn't a toy, after all.
>>
File: Patton.jpg (134KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Patton.jpg
134KB, 600x800px
>>33002085
>The only reason I ask if I fucked up is because I'm wondering if this thing can actually hit and stab stuff without becoming a danger to myself or anything I'm not hitting.

Let's see here, made by Windlass.

So, well, probably. Kinda. Keep an eye on it so it won't start coming apart (at this price level don't expect the manufacturer to do any quality checking worth talking about), don't slam it into hard stuff all too much, and it should survive. Don't use it as a machete or any such.

Odds are a number of corners have been cut when it comes to details, handling, and so on. A cheap sword inspired by the M1913 perhaps more than a M1913.
>>
>>33002099
Also I might chop fruit in half with it now for parties. Thanks for the idea.
>>33002153
Fair enough. I try to keep at minimum enough from each paycheck to pay rent and have some left over, but I could stand to stop buying dumb shit.
>>33002154
It's cool man. I asked for opinions and I got them. What's merchant mariner shit like? Like what do you guys do?
>>33002167
Good to know. Why can't more tripfags be informative like you?
>>
File: i1572313-1.jpg-for-web-large[1].jpg (17KB, 640x369px) Image search: [Google]
i1572313-1.jpg-for-web-large[1].jpg
17KB, 640x369px
I have this; a 1753 grenadier saber replica. It was a necessary purchase for the years I did Napoleonic reenactment. Useless in every way but it is a nice memorabilia of better days.
>>
>>33002007
Time to work on your life instead of collect crap that bleeds off money. Your youth will vanish quickly and you can't cosplay it back. Its' not being a buzzkill to point that out when someone makes eleven bucks an hour.

>So basically if you don't want to look like a retard you need to go buy an actual M1913 saber now

That would be retarded too. You can't buy your way into an imaginary past where your faggoty swashbuckling dreams will be real, you can only buy junk related. The wars of old were even less actual fun than current wars, what with spectacular disease rates and no medical care worth mentioning.

Do something real. Advance your knowledge and skills to make more money, then collect as a proper REWARD to yourself!

Enjoy your sword, and consider doing HEMA or something cool with it . HEMAfags will chime in with advice.
>>
>>33002184
You should be putting 10% of your pay away at least for retirement.
>>
>>33002184

If you are going to cut the fruity, be aware that some fruit juices are acidic. A full wipedown afterwards will be obligatory. And by afterwards I mean before you return the blade to the sheath.
>>
>>33002195
Are you my dad, because he said the same thing a few years ago. I should probably take your advice.
>>33002193
I'm trying to go back to school soon, but I can't find any particular field I care for.
>>33002207
I'm not a complete retard. I know how to care for steel and whatnot. It's the only reason my slavshit still runs true.
>>
File: Arthur M. Anderson.jpg (61KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
Arthur M. Anderson.jpg
61KB, 1024x681px
>>33002184
Cargo ships. Can't really say what it's like in general because it really depends what field of work you do. If you do ocean shit it definitely gets kinda lonely. Lot of camaraderie with the crew but also a lot of blue balls
>>
>>33002236
Any fields that would also teach me a valuable trade? Also blue-balls is never a problem with hand lotion and privacy.
>>
File: IMG_5820.jpg (57KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5820.jpg
57KB, 1440x960px
On a similar note, would a hencho en India 1860 naval cutlass repro hold up to sabraging champagne bottles? I currently use a kitchen knife and want something with more panache
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.